What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (4 Viewers)

I think he's worth a shot, provided the owner is willing to sell low. I know I'd swing a deal if I could, considering by #2 backs or Flex have been Crowell, Jennings and Woodhead. It's been a real dumpster fire. Unfortunately, the 1-4 team who owns Miller probably can't afford to move him, and I certainly don't have a good option to give in return.

Curious what people's thoughts on are Miller coming out of the bye.

Buy low with a potential team turnaround amid a new coach and perhaps a greater commitment to running the ball, or is the team a hopeless dumpster fire?
Let's see how many teams since the merger have had a lesser commitment to running the ball ...

http://pfref.com/tiny/ydbko

Code:
RushingRk Tm Year G W L T W-L% Att Yds Y/A TD1 MIA 2015 4 1 3 0 0.250 65 277 4.26 02 DET 2008 4 0 4 0 0.000 66 289 4.38 23 NYJ 2002 4 1 3 0 0.250 67 241 3.60 04 NOR 1994 4 1 3 0 0.250 68 171 2.51 15 NOR 1995 4 0 4 0 0.000 68 260 3.82 16 BUF 1971 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 257 3.72 37 MIA 1986 4 1 3 0 0.250 69 301 4.36 28 HOU 1990 4 2 2 0 0.500 69 241 3.49 19 CLE 1999 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 262 3.80 010 DET 2015 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 188 2.72 211 NOR 1972 4 0 4 0 0.000 70 193 2.76 012 OAK 2003 4 2 2 0 0.500 70 327 4.67 313 NYG 2013 4 0 4 0 0.000 70 231 3.30 1
And it turns out your answer is ... zero. ZERO. Not a single team in the Super Bowl era has rushed the ball fewer times in its first 4 games than your 2015 Miami Dolphins.

If you needed an excuse to go out and make some lowball offers on Miller ... now you've got one.

Buy low with a potential team turnaround amid a new coach and perhaps a greater commitment to running the ball, or is the team a hopeless dumpster fire?
Let's see how many teams since the merger have had a lesser commitment to running the ball ...

RushingRk Tm Year G W L T W-L% Att Yds Y/A TD1 MIA 2015 4 1 3 0 0.250 65 277 4.26 02 DET 2008 4 0 4 0 0.000 66 289 4.38 23 NYJ 2002 4 1 3 0 0.250 67 241 3.60 04 NOR 1994 4 1 3 0 0.250 68 171 2.51 15 NOR 1995 4 0 4 0 0.000 68 260 3.82 16 BUF 1971 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 257 3.72 37 MIA 1986 4 1 3 0 0.250 69 301 4.36 28 HOU 1990 4 2 2 0 0.500 69 241 3.49 19 CLE 1999 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 262 3.80 010 DET 2015 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 188 2.72 211 NOR 1972 4 0 4 0 0.000 70 193 2.76 012 OAK 2003 4 2 2 0 0.500 70 327 4.67 313 NYG 2013 4 0 4 0 0.000 70 231 3.30 1 And it turns out your answer is ... zero. ZERO. Not a single team in the Super Bowl era has rushed the ball fewer times in its first 4 games than your 2015 Miami Dolphins.

If you needed an excuse to go out and make some lowball offers on Miller ... now you've got one.
I'd be curious to know what the % of run plays called was for those teams. Still pathetic either way. Mia was supposed to be a dominant defense and the worst thing you can do to a defense is leave them on the field a lot. Maybe that is a big part of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I working on buying Miller for Olsen right now ..dynasty
Dynasty/keeper might make Miller even more valuable when you consider he'll be a UFA after this year.
On that note, assuming he's gone from MIA next year, what type of team do you guys thing he'd best fit?
I think he would be nasty in Dallas (as would most competent RBs). Miller in particular though because Dallas' OL gives him a great opportunity to avoid contact within the first few yards. One of his areas of weakness seems to be that he does not break a lot of tackles, but his strength is open field running. Not rocket science, and applies to a ton of RBs, but his ideal landing spot to make him a serious force would be Dallas. Again, this is a true statement for a lot of RBs...but not so much for the ones on their roster at the moment.

RushingRk Tm Year G W L T W-L% Att Yds Y/A TD1 MIA 2015 4 1 3 0 0.250 65 277 4.26 02 DET 2008 4 0 4 0 0.000 66 289 4.38 23 NYJ 2002 4 1 3 0 0.250 67 241 3.60 04 NOR 1994 4 1 3 0 0.250 68 171 2.51 15 NOR 1995 4 0 4 0 0.000 68 260 3.82 16 BUF 1971 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 257 3.72 37 MIA 1986 4 1 3 0 0.250 69 301 4.36 28 HOU 1990 4 2 2 0 0.500 69 241 3.49 19 CLE 1999 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 262 3.80 010 DET 2015 4 0 4 0 0.000 69 188 2.72 211 NOR 1972 4 0 4 0 0.000 70 193 2.76 012 OAK 2003 4 2 2 0 0.500 70 327 4.67 313 NYG 2013 4 0 4 0 0.000 70 231 3.30 1

And it turns out your answer is ... zero. ZERO. Not a single team in the Super Bowl era has rushed the ball fewer times in its first 4 games than your 2015 Miami Dolphins.

That is quite a stat. Three lousy pre-Payton Saints teams on that list by the way.

That is quite a stat. Three lousy pre-Payton Saints teams on that list by the way.
I watched every Eagles game of the Andy Reid era, and if I had a dollar for every time I screamed at the TV, "Run the ####### ball, #######!" I'd be wealthy enough to buy the team. Yet the most pass-happy of Reid's teams (2005) barely cracks the top 50 on my list above, with 79 rushes through their first 4 games.

I can't even begin to fathom a team that calls 20% fewer running plays than Fat Man in his Eagles prime. Seriously, I can't even wrap my head around it.

It may have been covered here previously, but was it Philbin or Lazor who was deciding run vs pass in the offense? I'm sure Lazor was calling the actual plays, and I know that Tannehill was given basically no ability to audible out of play calls, but was Philbin in charge of deciding the game flow and responsible for the whacked pass/run ratio?

Philbin was horrible. Miller should see double the rushing attempts. It was dreadful watching them try to run an offense, lord.

I working on buying Miller for Olsen right now ..dynasty
Dynasty/keeper might make Miller even more valuable when you consider he'll be a UFA after this year.
On that note, assuming he's gone from MIA next year, what type of team do you guys thing he'd best fit?
Definitely. No way Miami franchises him and he will get a great deal from a team that has a clue. Dallas is where I would like to see him go.

Has there been media "practice insider" reports on how the offense might be shaping up this week? Actual news of more snaps for Miller or more run emphasis by the new coaching staff?

WE CANT CONTINUE TO LIVE IN THE WORLD WEVE BEEN LIVING IN. THATS THE BOTTOM LINE.

Dan Campbell, Dolphins interim head coach, on the teams lopsided run-pass ratio

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article38842479.html#storylink=cpy
And yet, anyone expecting wholesale changes to the system will be disappointed.

“We’re not going to run away from what we do, from what we know we’ve had success with,” Campbell said.

The interim coach did seem to agree with the premise that the Dolphins have been too pass happy, and that they need to do a better job running the football.

The Dolphins have the most skewed pass-run ratio in football, throwing the ball nearly 74 percent of the time.

But Campbell said that statistic is more a function of reality, not philosophy. The Dolphins have been outscored 37-3 in first quarters this season, forcing the team to throw more than it would prefer.

The handcuff apparently is Damian Williams. They seemed to like the kid from what I read earlier this year and preseason.

Gray was brought in as depth as far as I could read between the lines. (and not bad depth either imo)

I have been trying to acquire Miller where I can, and in fact minutes ago I just traded Isaiah Crowell for him straight up in one league.

I know Crowell has been putting up fair numbers and Miller has done pretty much nothing.

But I am a believer in that the Dolphins will try and get him more involved. One would think the light will come on at some point. (well, it IS the Dolphins, so it might not) :D

My theory is, Crowell was on my bench , and I would just as soon get a guy for my bench that has the potential for a real workload, instead of what Crowell is getting currently.

Anyway, regardless of my team, I think this could be one of the ultimate "buy low" scenarios of the year.

Yes its a bit of a gamble..... But the team is in chaos currently and a new coach may decide to use him more appropriately.

I am figuring him to be a low end RB2 going forward, and if he breaks out, he could easily give us more RB1-ish numbers.

TZM

hmm I have Crowell--I wonder if I could snag Miller for him straight or sweeten the deal with a package. The team with Miller is 1-4 and seems hopeless right now

hmm I have Crowell--I wonder if I could snag Miller for him straight or sweeten the deal with a package. The team with Miller is 1-4 and seems hopeless right now
Yeah I'd definitely try and snag him. Package Crow with a WR3? I'm really struggling to figure out Miller's value right now for obvious reasons. Someone offered me Doug Martin for him straight up and I don't think I've ever been so divided on a trade offer

That is pretty much exactly what I did, except the team I dealt with is 2-3.

Most Miller owners are frustrated, and view the whole new coach and team imploding as something they don't want to deal with anymore.

The fact is, its pretty apparent they need to run the ball more, and one would think the new coach sees it.

What can you count on Crowell for??? This is the question I asked myself, and here is the kicker, check out their schedule the rest of season.

Starting this week its Denver, STL, Arizona, Cincy then Pit. The immediate 4 weeks are horrific for Crowell, and Duke Johnson has been playing a bit more.

Cincy again after the bye and then @ Seattle during week 15, playoff week. NO THANK YOU for the Crow, and I am seeing Miller as a great trade for Crow and his schedule included.

Normally when I make these deals, the guy I trade goes off, but I don't see any scenario I would really like to start Crow that much later in the season.

Anyway- on the Miller subject.....

I sent out another offer to an 0-5 owner, I offered Ryan Mathews and Hillman for Miller.

I'm not so high on Miller where I will be plugging him in and waving the flag right away, but I think if it works out like it should, you can get him on the cheap and he may be serviceable down the stretch.

I think low end RB2 numbers aren't out of the equation, and realistically it shouldn't take much to acquire him now either.

There is always the chance the Dolphins completely disintegrate into a team that has almost no fantasy value, I can see that too.

But I think Miller has the upside where its worth a chance, especially if you can get him cheap.

Lets face it, the price on a healthy Miller will never be any better than what it currently is.

If he gets a decent load this week vs Tennessee and puts up even as little as 13 points, the price will shoot up again.

TZM

The handcuff apparently is Damian Williams. They seemed to like the kid from what I read earlier this year and preseason.

Gray was brought in as depth as far as I could read between the lines. (and not bad depth either imo)
Obviously we haven't seen much from Campbell yet, but his comments already point to wanting a hard running style. Not sure of Williams' style, but seems like Gray might be someone to watch if Miller falters/gets hurt.

Obviously we haven't seen much from Campbell yet, but his comments already point to wanting a hard running style. Not sure of Williams' style, but seems like Gray might be someone to watch if Miller falters/gets hurt.
This is kind of why I was trying to acquire Miller everywhere.

I don't see a scenario where coaching doesn't try to run the ball ,more so than what they have been .

Miller has done well, maybe not great really, but he has done well at times, when getting a decent workload, say 12+ carries.

I'm of a similar thought though to try and handcuff the guy if I can.

In one league I am going to pick up Williams ASAP, which will likely be after next week, when the byes hit me hard.

As you point out, Gray must stay on the radar now.

TZM

WE CANT CONTINUE TO LIVE IN THE WORLD WEVE BEEN LIVING IN. THATS THE BOTTOM LINE.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article38842479.html#storylink=cpy

“We’re not going to run away from what we do, from what we know we’ve had success with,” Campbell said.

The interim coach did seem to agree with the premise that the Dolphins have been too pass happy, and that they need to do a better job running the football.

The Dolphins have the most skewed pass-run ratio in football, throwing the ball nearly 74 percent of the time.

But Campbell said that statistic is more a function of reality, not philosophy. The Dolphins have been outscored 37-3 in first quarters this season, forcing the team to throw more than it would prefer.
Being outscored 37-3 in the 1st is not a valid reason to abandon the run. That's not even a 10 point deficit. There are teams that wouldn't go pass crazy if they were down 10 points to start the 4th.

If that was the motivation to abandon the run, it merely proves the incompetence of the staff. Down 10 at the start of the 2nd is not dire enough straits to force a change in the game plan. It absolutely IS a function of philosophy.

You are saying you have no confidence in your defense to stop further scoring and you have no confidence in your run game to sustain drives and eat up the clock. But here's the kicker... WTF has Tannehill really shown that would make them think that putting it on his shoulders is any better an option? Seriously.

Being outscored 37-3 in the 1st is not a valid reason to abandon the run. That's not even a 10 point deficit. There are teams that wouldn't go pass crazy if they were down 10 points to start the 4th.

If that was the motivation to abandon the run, it merely proves the incompetence of the staff. Down 10 at the start of the 2nd is not dire enough straits to force a change in the game plan. It absolutely IS a function of philosophy.

You are saying you have no confidence in your defense to stop further scoring and you have no confidence in your run game to sustain drives and eat up the clock. But here's the kicker... WTF has Tannehill really shown that would make them think that putting it on his shoulders is any better an option? Seriously.
We've seen this team abandon the run while leading.

I'm almost at the point of outright dropping him. If he throws up a dud again this week, he is gone. I'll shop him for anything (and I mean anything), but if nobody bites (which I expect) he is gone. This guy/this situation suck!

I saw Crowell mentioned above, I own both and would much prefer Crowell - Terrible match up this week for Crow, so he is on the bench, but in most situations in my PPR Crow or Sims will get the nod over Miller until further notice.

Traded for him, lord help me. Mostly I just want a RB2 who gets 12-18 carries, at least 60 yards and a shot a TD. I really do think they up his totes moving forward and the Phins aren't that out of it. Playing harder and committing to the run will make a big difference.

Traded for him, lord help me. Mostly I just want a RB2 who gets 12-18 carries, at least 60 yards and a shot a TD. I really do think they up his totes moving forward and the Phins aren't that out of it. Playing harder and committing to the run will make a big difference.
Going forward, if Miller gets 18 carries per game he'll be a solid RB2.

Why does he need 18 carries per game to be RB2? He did that with just 13.5 carries per game last year.

Why does he need 18 carries per game to be RB2? He did that with just 13.5 carries per game last year.
The main concern I have as I'm considering trading for him is how much Campbell is committed to Miller. If Miller falls out of favor with Campbell, what's to say the coach won't turn to Williams, Gray or even (eventually) Ajayi?

The main concern I have as I'm considering trading for him is how much Campbell is committed to Miller. If Miller falls out of favor with Campbell, what's to say the coach won't turn to Williams, Gray or even (eventually) Ajayi?
Nothing. Owning Miller is about believing that he is the most talented back on the team, and that his coaches will know it and make him the feature back. If you don't believe in that scenario, then there is little reason to trade for him.

That's true, but I think a lot of things need to go right for him to be a top 15 back with 13 carries per game. IIRC, Miller's TD to carry ratio was pretty high last season. If he makes a lot of his carries going forward he could achieve similar results to last season. I think most who drafted Miller this season were hoping he would post top 12 numbers as a result of an increased workload, so I suppose he might still do that with 18 carries. It's a lot to expect at this point, but one can dream.

Lamar Miller says Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell is placing a renewed emphasis on the running game.
Miami ranks dead last in rushing attempts per game. "(Campbell) pretty much told the whole team that we have to run the ball and stop the run," Miller said. "That’s something that we emphasized, and something we want to get going." The Dolphins have zero rushing touchdowns through four games. Averaging just 3.5 yards per carry after posting a 5.1 clip last season, Miller promises to be "more decisive running the ball" coming out of Miami's bye week.

I traded Bradford and Barnidge for Miller and Ladarius Green in redraft league. I was never going to start either of those two (just picked them off the waiver wire a couple weeks ago). I have Brady and T. Taylor at qb and Olsen at TE. I do believe I gave up a lot to get Miller, but they were rotting away on my bench. Green will be dropped to pick up bye week help. I thought it was worth a shot....nothing hurt if it doesn't pan out.

I traded Bradford and Barnidge for Miller and Ladarius Green in redraft league. I was never going to start either of those two (just picked them off the waiver wire a couple weeks ago). I have Brady and T. Taylor at qb and Olsen at TE. I do believe I gave up a lot to get Miller, but they were rotting away on my bench. Green will be dropped to pick up bye week help. I thought it was worth a shot....nothing hurt if it doesn't pan out.
Where are you in the standings? What is the scoring system? How many years have you been in this league? Do you have any bye week concerns we should know about? What are the starting lineup requirements? How many neck spots? What is your team name? What are all the other team names? How many teams are in the league? What website do you use? What is the buy-in? Is this league with a bunch of locals, or online? :popcorn:

Where are you in the standings? What is the scoring system? How many years have you been in this league? Do you have any bye week concerns we should know about? What are the starting lineup requirements? How many neck spots? What is your team name? What are all the other team names? How many teams are in the league? What website do you use? What is the buy-in? Is this league with a bunch of locals, or online? :popcorn:
Take it easy, it's not like the dude was asking for help with his team.

Got offered Cooper for him in redraft..seriously considering accepting it because I need the WR help, but hate to part with my 3rd rd pick and watch him go off.

Lamar Miller says Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell is placing a renewed emphasis on the running game.
Miami ranks dead last in rushing attempts per game. "(Campbell) pretty much told the whole team that we have to run the ball and stop the run," Miller said. "That’s something that we emphasized, and something we want to get going." The Dolphins have zero rushing touchdowns through four games. Averaging just 3.5 yards per carry after posting a 5.1 clip last season, Miller promises to be "more decisive running the ball" coming out of Miami's bye week.
so hes back? :excited:

Users who are viewing this thread