What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

Gio didn't run well between the tackles until this year. At which point I've said he has run well between the tackles. I've been very objective about this. I've stated Hill has played like crap most of this year and Gio has outplayed him.

You're just making things up, now.

Not only that, but you ignored most of my post. I guess it doesn't help the narrative. Carry on.

The Browns are currently 19th overall in passing yards given up and 27th overall in rushing yards given up. They are 25th in points allowed.

In the Bengals previous match up with the Browns they ran the ball 28 times with Hill and Bernard but only targeted the RB once each, instead targeting the receivers and Eifert a lot more.

Very curious to see how Jeremy Hill's ankle looks this week. Could be a perfect storm for Gio this weekend.
Wishing injury for another player is bad karma but it does give me the warm and fuzzies thinking about Gio possibly getting upwards of 20 touches vs. the Browns.

Very curious to see how Jeremy Hill's ankle looks this week. Could be a perfect storm for Gio this weekend.
Wishing injury for another player is bad karma but it does give me the warm and fuzzies thinking about Gio possibly getting upwards of 20 touches vs. the Browns.
Wasn't a wish to be clear... just dialing up my own warm and fuzzies thinking about the same prospect.

Anybody cahoning up to start him this week? Can he be trusted? My final flex is likely going to Ware and possibly now even Sproles. Sad but true.

This coaching staff is going to regret his lack of touches at some point.

Anybody cahoning up to start him this week? Can he be trusted? My final flex is likely going to Ware and possibly now even Sproles. Sad but true.

This coaching staff is going to regret his lack of touches at some point.
Not me.

He and Hill are safely on my bench, which is about the only place they can be trusted.

I thought I was in a good position owning them both in one league this year. LOL.

Instead, its been nothing but a guessing game for the majority of the year.

The coaching staff may very well regret his lack of touches at some point, but as we enter the fantasy playoffs and my season is on the line...... I won't regret the lack of either one of their touches.

I'm fortunate to have other options, but if I had to depend on starting one of Bernard or Hill today, I wouldn't be liking life much at all currently.

TZM

I have a sneaky feeling that he dominates the touches over Hill today. PIT needs to gameplan against what CIN has done lately and how they lost the 1st game. Very little touches for GB in those scenarios. Could this be the week?

I have a sneaky feeling that he dominates the touches over Hill today. PIT needs to gameplan against what CIN has done lately and how they lost the 1st game. Very little touches for GB in those scenarios. Could this be the week?
This scenario has played out in my head but I think we are giving the Cincy coaching staff way too much credit for wanting to adjust their approach. They want Hill to be a bell cow with Gio as a nice sloppy seconds backup plan.

This week vs. Steelers

G.Bernard 38 snaps 66% 6 rushing attempts 40 yards 6.7ypc 5 targets 3 receptions 27 yards 9.0ypc 67 total yards 6.1 yards per opportunity .289 opportunities per snap

J.Hill 19 snaps 33% 7 rushing attempts 16 yards 2.3ypc 2 targets 2 receptions 8 yards 4.0ypc 24 total yards 2.7 yards per opportunity .473 opportunities per snap

Previous week against the Browns

J.Hill 35 snaps 61% 22 rushing attempts 98 yards 4.5ypc 1TD 1 targets 0 receptions 98 total yards 4.3 yards per opportunity .657 opportunities per snap

G.Bernard 19 snaps 33% 5 rushing attempts 26 yards 5.2ypc 1 targets 1 receptions 9 yards 9.0ypc 35 total yards 5.8 yards per opportunity .316 opportunities per snap

Last 2 weeks combined

G.Bernard 57 snaps 50% 11 rushing attempts 66 yards 6.0ypc 6 targets 4 receptions 36 yards 9.0ypc 102 total yards 6.0 yards per opportunity .298 opportunities per snap

J.Hill 54 snaps 47% 29 rushing attempts 114 yards 3.9ypc 3 targets 2 receptions 8 yards 4.0ypc 122 total yards 3.8 yards per opportunity .593 opportunities per snap

What are we doing with Gio tomorrow? I'm starting him at flex over Dez, Woodhead, and Julius Thomas. Actually now that I type those names out I feel better about it. Hoping for the rookie qb needing to dump off angle in addition to 7-9 carries, maybe a couple double digit runs. Seems doable to me but impossible to predict his output week to week.

Currently Bernard is 13th overall in yards from scrimmage. He averages 81.5 total yards per game.

He is RB 15 in PPR and RB 20 in standard leagues.

He averages 4.15 targets per game and 3 receptions per game at 10.3 ypr 9.7 rushing attempts per game at 5.1 ypc

Bernard has clearly been trending down in some respects.

Bernard's game log

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15826/giovani-bernard

RUSHING

First five games, he had less than 13 carries once.

69 carries/5 games = nearly 14 per game

377 rushing yards/5 games = 75+ per game

1 rushing TD/5 games = .4 per game

In the two plus months since 10/11 (week 5), Bernard has more than 10 carries once.

In that span, 57 carries/8 games = approx. 7 per game

270 rushing yards/8 games = not quite 34 per game

1 rushing TD/8 games = .25 per game

Rushing production about half across the board (last 8 games relative to the first 5 games)

RECEIVING

First five games, less than 3 receptions once

17 receptions/5 games = nearly 3.5 per game

96 receiving yards/5 games = 19+ per game

0 receiving TDs/5 games

In the next 8 games since week 5, Bernard has had less than 3 receptions five times.

23 receptions/8 games = nearly 3 per game

317 receiving yards/8 games = nearly 40 per game

0 receiving TDs/8 games

I'm generally not a fan of subtracting best plays/games. That said, for the record, he had a career high 8-128 receiving in the 34-31 loss to the Cards.

So, in the other seven games since week 5, his amended receiving totals would look like:

15-189-0

closer to 2 receptions and 27 yards per game

* Based on the last two months of the season, Bernard has averaged on a per game basis approx:

34 rushing yards, 40 receiving yards (74 combined), .25 TD and about 3 receptions for PPR purposes

And to recap, relative to the first five weeks:

75 rushing yards, 19 receiving yards (94 combined), .4 TD and about 3.5 receptions per game

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody have details on Gio's snaps after McCarron came in? Was surprised to see he outsnapped Hill and wonder if that could carry through to today's matchup too.

Anybody have details on Gio's snaps after McCarron came in? Was surprised to see he outsnapped Hill and wonder if that could carry through to today's matchup too.
Don't know the snap count but they were trailing and throwing more. Gio's on the field when they go pass heavy.

Most recent game against the 49ers without Dalton.

G Bernard RB 37 snaps 58% 14 rushing attempts 33 yards 2.4ypc 0TD 4 targets 4 receptions 18 yards 51 total yards.

J Hill RB 27 snaps 42% 19 rushing attempts 31 yards 1.6 ypc 2TD 1 target 0 receptions

Tough sledding apparently with a diminished passing threat.

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson believes Cincinnati could use more two-back sets with Tyler Eifert's (ankle) availability in question.
With Marvin Jones and Mohamad Sanu leaving in free agency and Eifert hurt, the Bengals are desperate for receiving weapons. Free-agent addition Brandon LaFell and second-rounder Tyler Boyd will be asked to fill some of that void, but a bigger role for Giovani Bernard in the passing game should be part of the answer as well. He and Jeremy Hill could find themselves on the field together often this season.

Source: bengals.com 
Jun 30 - 9:44 AM

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Dehner Jr. doesn't expect Giovani Bernard's role to "change much" from last season.
When news broke that Tyler Eifert was going to be sidelined 3-4 months following foot surgery, the popular opinion was that Bernard would be a beneficiary and see more targets in the pass game. Since then, Bernard's ADP has risen a round-and-a-half. He was targeted 66 times last season, and Dehner doesn't expect that number to increase. Brandon LaFell and rookie Tyler Boyd figure to see the targets boosts, while the Bengals may opt to hammer Jeremy Hill between the tackles more with Eifert out. Bernard's RB25 ADP in PPR is about right.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer 
Aug 10 - 10:26 AM

a local writer might not expect more carries, but until the coaches say it, I don't believe. Gio was far more productive last year than Hill. 

So... What are people doing with him ? I drafted him around round 8 this year as some RB depth  (McCoy/Crowell/Jennings/Dixon/Bernard/Deangelo are current RBs ) thinking that maybe the decrease in WRs would see him becoming a more reliable weekly play with a higher dose of receptions at a consistent level. 

Seems like nothing has changed though, and he's basically a J hill handcuff ( I'm non-PPR ). 

Im almost getting tempted to drop him to allow me to pick up a different RB lottery ticket ( eg maybe Smallwood who has a Mathews ahead of him. Mathews being more injury prone than Hill ), or maybe to give me some extra room in flexibility for QBs/TE's and DEFs. 

What  are other people doing/thinking about Gio right now ?

I also drafted him in 8th round and have to play him this week with byes and injuries.  I view him as droppable or trade to Hill owner...

Not dropping yet. He's currently at the #26 RB and I know he has flashed his abilities in that one game against Pitt. The thing about that game is the gamescript of that game was Gio. When the Bengals go against another good offense that scores points then they rise to the occasion and start playing an uptempo game. They have faced Jets, Pitt, Den, Mia, 3/4 are not great offenses. For this week, I'm forcing myself to start either Gio or Powell. I'm hoping Gio has a good game and then I will trade him to a Bengals homer at some point, but I kind of knew that this team could go Hill mode.

Yeah agree with all of that. High powered offences suit Gio. Just a frustrating player to own and be clogging up your bench, but you know as soon as you drop him Hill will go down with an ACL tear or something.

I've started him every week except the Steelers game. Starting him again this week out of necessity. I've lost a lot this year and until someone comes back, he's currently my RB2... so I just gotta hope he has a good game every week till I can fill in with someone else.

Drafted him as my RB2 in a start 1 RB that has two Flex spots.  Ingram is my RB1.

So basically I have Ingram as a RB2 with RB1 upside, and Gio as a RB3.

I'm holding Gio but not sure when or if I will ever use him.  I have started Ingram all year in my RB slot for better or worse. 

The upside if Hill goes down is really the only reason I'm holding.  Otherwise I don't see him cracking my starting lineup all year.  This is a keeper league and I drafted him in the mid rounds, so there is potential there if he was traded or somehow takes control of this RBBC.

This week I'm leaning towards McKinnon to cover Ingrams bye.  Other option is old man Gore who I also rank higher than Gio.

I don't need any advice, and I know this is very specific to my team, however maybe this will give some insight from a fellow Gio owner.

Gio is my RB 2.  My RBs are awful.  Obviously.  The point is that Gio has been a disappointment.  I knew that he would be taking a back seat to Hill this season but I did not expect this lack of usage. 

Still like Gio in dynasty but trying to find a week to plug him in redraft is a headache. If they get behind and pass he's good for double digit points. 

Trying to decide if the cowboys can do that... 

Still like Gio in dynasty but trying to find a week to plug him in redraft is a headache. If they get behind and pass he's good for double digit points. 
Yeah I was laughed at for drafting Bell in front of Gio. He's nothing special. Never was. Just not big enough to handle a heavy workload week in and week out. He hasn't been startable for 2 years basically. 

Trying to decide if the cowboys can do that... 
I don't think it is a bad or good match up for Bernard against Dallas.

Bernards best game this year was against the Steelers who are 4th overall against the run and 31st against the pass in total yards respectively. The Steelers also have a good offense so that puts pressure on the other team to score more.

Dallas on the other hand is a slightly below average defense and their offense should rely mostly on Elliot, which leads to a lower scoring game script, which does not really favor Bernard.

I'm also forced to start him this week due to byes.  I may drop him soon after for the right add though.  I seem to remember more big plays from him.  He used to get a screen or big run for a td every once in awhile.  He's overdue for a td

Drafted him as my RB2 in a start 1 RB that has two Flex spots.  Ingram is my RB1.

So basically I have Ingram as a RB2 with RB1 upside, and Gio as a RB3.

I'm holding Gio but not sure when or if I will ever use him.  I have started Ingram all year in my RB slot for better or worse. 

The upside if Hill goes down is really the only reason I'm holding.  Otherwise I don't see him cracking my starting lineup all year.  This is a keeper league and I drafted him in the mid rounds, so there is potential there if he was traded or somehow takes control of this RBBC.

This week I'm leaning towards McKinnon to cover Ingrams bye.  Other option is old man Gore who I also rank higher than Gio.

I don't need any advice, and I know this is very specific to my team, however maybe this will give some insight from a fellow Gio owner.
In the same boat (even same starting format 1RB/1WR/2 flex), Ingram is my 1 and due to flat out poor drafting of RB's, Gio and Foster are my depth (not counting Dixon who isn't startable yet and Washington who I just cut). So Bernard is my only RB to use this week. Gruesome. Got to hope he can do something like he did late in the Steelers game but it's a shot in the dark. He's more likely to go 4/12 + 3/22 than 10/40 + 6/75/1 which would make my day. This is what I get for taking Ingram at the 2/3 turn then ignoring RB's to load up on WR's for like 6 rounds.

I was high on him for this year but the Bengals seem fine just running Hill 16 times for 53 yards weekly.  In PPR if the catches don't come he's useless. You almost have to hope Dallas scores early, but that game script doesn't bode well.  I watched him a lot last week, Cinci tried 3 screens to him around his guards however the DT's just knocked him down so it got blown up all three times before it started. Frustrating.

Starting Jay Ajayi over Gio this week.  Not excited about either option but Gio is not getting the touches that I expected. 

I'm also forced to start him this week due to byes.  I may drop him soon after for the right add though.  I seem to remember more big plays from him.  He used to get a screen or big run for a td every once in awhile.  He's overdue for a td
I'm in the same boat...I have so many guys on byes this week - that I have to use Gio in my flex...I'm not excited about it.  I'm really hoping for a few big screen plays.  

Of course all the 'experts' say to hold on to him just in case Hill gets hurt.

All of my backs are similar and it's getting hard to know which to start.  I plan on starting Gio and Riddick but also have Duke and Powell.

All of my backs are similar and it's getting hard to know which to start.  I plan on starting Gio and Riddick but also have Duke and Powell.
Any chance Hill misses this week? limited Wednesday/Thursday with a chest.  Likely full practice today I'd guess.

I'm deciding between him and Crowell in a ppr league. Gio can be a decent rb2 with 6/60 and the chance of a score, but if he doesn't get those receptions he's useless. 

Not sure what to do. Any other week I'd start Crowell but it's the pats. 

Decent day today. 

Hill goes down with an arm/shoulder injury.

Arrow could be pointing up for Gio. He had a few decent runs today, but their line looks bad.

Me too, he ran quite well this past week, this was already a decent match-up given you'd expect the Bengals to be behind and passing and Hill struggling can't hurt his chances of a decent day. Still low-ish expectations but a more than reasonable flex play, especially in PPR.

Me too, he ran quite well this past week, this was already a decent match-up given you'd expect the Bengals to be behind and passing and Hill struggling can't hurt his chances of a decent day. Still low-ish expectations but a more than reasonable flex play, especially in PPR.
I think I read something that said Hill was in pads for practice though.  Conflicting reports, a FBG staffer tweeted both out, sling and pads.

If Hill is out Gio could be a sneaky play. figures he's playing NE.

Edit to add, Hill taking first team reps today.

Users who are viewing this thread