What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeGarrette Blount signs with NE (1 Viewer)

Showcasing Blount for a trade to Dallas? Doubt it, but it would be Belichickian, and Dallas is in the market. Wasn't much of a showcase though.

Last edited by a moderator:
satch said:
Showcasing Blount for a trade to Dallas? Doubt it, but it would be Belichickian, and Dallas is in the market. Wasn't much of a showcase though.
When I saw he was playing last night I didn't think much of it but when I saw the results it got my attention. It would be SO like the Patriots to cut him and just roll with Bolden, White, Gray, and Lewis.

The more I look at it, that is a really nice group for what they do and a pretty young/cheap group.

Ilov80s said:
I still contend Jonas is the guy to draft. His adp vs potential role is a can't lose proposition.
Just picked up Gray. Reward to risk is far too high not to take a chance before week 1.

Saboo said:
Blount played deep into the 4th quarter of the final preseason game tonight. It may be that they just want to give him reps as he will miss the first week, but this did catch my eye. Could he be on the bubble?
If Blount is on the bubble and last night was his chance to make the team, he may be cut soon. Didn't look great. With Dallas in the market for a RB, a Blount signing would be interesting to say the least.

I don't see Blount going anywhere, nor do I see him at the back of the depth chart. BB loves him, he's averaged right around 5 ypc in NE, and scored an average of almost a TD per game for the Pats. I think he was playing because he is going to be suspended and this was his last chance to get some work in. On the flip side, I don't think BB loves Gray, so I think Blount's spot and role are secure. And they were trying to get him more involved as a receiver last night.

To understand the ways of the Patriot RB situation is to understand the mysteries of the universe.

I will leave such complex matters to those much smarter than I.

:yes:

Fwiw Gray went before Blount in my draft.
That is nuts.

Ilov80s said:
I still contend Jonas is the guy to draft. His adp vs potential role is a can't lose proposition.
Just picked up Gray. Reward to risk is far too high not to take a chance before week 1.
I am starting him week 1 over Lat.Murray. That Steelers D is going to give up a lot of points. BB might make me pay for it, but he just has so much TD potential.

Saboo said:
Blount played deep into the 4th quarter of the final preseason game tonight. It may be that they just want to give him reps as he will miss the first week, but this did catch my eye. Could he be on the bubble?
If Blount is on the bubble and last night was his chance to make the team, he may be cut soon. Didn't look great. With Dallas in the market for a RB, a Blount signing would be interesting to say the least.
He looked fine. He had a gaffe or 2 in the passing game but that's not really his strength. Beat reporters said he was clearly the best back in camp.

Word out of NE is Bill wanted to give him extra work since he will be away from the team week one and he will be the primary ball carrier come week 2.

I don't see Blount going anywhere, nor do I see him at the back of the depth chart. BB loves him, he's averaged right around 5 ypc in NE, and scored an average of almost a TD per game for the Pats. I think he was playing because he is going to be suspended and this was his last chance to get some work in. On the flip side, I don't think BB loves Gray, so I think Blount's spot and role are secure. And they were trying to get him more involved as a receiver last night.
I agree with this, but with BB you just never know. A trade or cut would surprise but not shock me either.Blount's a tough call this year. Could be a goal line hammer, clock killing monster in a potent offense with a friendly schedule. NE will probably have a lot of early leads and Blount could see a ton of carries as a result. Could be a fantasy RB1, especially if used in the passing game. Or he could be part of a nasty committee, or even get cut.

Fwiw, I live in NE as do my fantasy league mates. Jonas Gray was drafted at 87 overall. I took Blount at 140.

Saboo said:
He looked fine. He had a gaffe or 2 in the passing game but that's not really his strength. Beat reporters said he was clearly the best back in camp.
Love the 4/54 receiving. The 10/24 rushing, not so much. You're right about camp reports which is why the poor rushing performance surprised me.

Just to stir the pot, did Le'Veon Bell play last night? I'm not sure I follow the logic of risking a player you highly value in a meaningless game over what amounts to a week - not at the RB position.

I mean, who knows what is scheming in Patriot land but when I cut & Paste names, I just don't get it.

Just to stir the pot, did Le'Veon Bell play last night? I'm not sure I follow the logic of risking a player you highly value in a meaningless game over what amounts to a week - not at the RB position.

I mean, who knows what is scheming in Patriot land but when I cut & Paste names, I just don't get it.
Agreed, I do not get the logic of playing a veteran you expect to be your #1 RB in the 4th quarter of the 4th preseason game because you are worried he will be rusty missing 1 week of football. Does not make sense.

Just to stir the pot, did Le'Veon Bell play last night? I'm not sure I follow the logic of risking a player you highly value in a meaningless game over what amounts to a week - not at the RB position. I mean, who knows what is scheming in Patriot land but when I cut & Paste names, I just don't get it.
Agreed, I do not get the logic of playing a veteran you expect to be your #1 RB in the 4th quarter of the 4th preseason game because you are worried he will be rusty missing 1 week of football. Does not make sense.
On top of missing week one, he missed some camp time with an injury. Combined with getting more reps in the passing game, it's not a stretch to think BB just wanted to get him more time on the field.

Saboo said:
Love the 4/54 receiving. The 10/24 rushing, not so much. You're right about camp reports which is why the poor rushing performance surprised me.
It wasn't a poor rushing performance. His line was awful. He was hit in the backfield several times and had nowhere to go. When he had something to work with he showed patience, power and niftyness in the hole.

Pissed off Legarrette Blount had his draft stock plummet after punching a guy, got cut by TEN after punching another, then ran angry once he finally got a chance with TB the second half of 2010. He blew up for most of his 1000/6 the last part of that season.

Once he settled in, content that he had a secure gig, Legarrette Blount showed occasional flashes, then slowly let his performance slide into complete irrelevance over 2011 and 2012.

Pissed off Legarrette Blount was ditched by TB to the Pats, where he languished only long enough to completely explode at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs, famously putting up his 76/2, 189/2, and 166/4 lines in consecutive weeks, and building the "Legarrette Blount scores touchdowns every time he touches the ball as a Patriot" mystique.

After that, he became an attractive option for teams, and signed a decent two year contract with PIT, became content, and promptly quit caring about perfoming so completely that he became useless as an NFL player, a notorious cancer, and utterly unrosterable for the Steelers. They cut him outright.

Pissed off Legarrette Blount had a fistful of 5.0+ ypc games after getting picked up, a handful of multi-TD games, and became an integral part of a SB run.

Now, he's secure in his role, and is once again going to be content Legarrette.

You wanna roll the dice on that history? I'll be first in line to pick him off the FA scrap heap once he inevitably wears out his welcome in NE, but until then, I expect him to blow and ultimately find himself expendable. I believe we're already seeing the first signs of it.

Bill Belichick has left Brady in the game deep in 4th quarters of blowout games exposing him to hits. He (in)famously had Gronkowski on the PAT blocking team late in a blowout game where he broke his arm. Wes Welker tore his ACL and missed the playoffs in a meaningless Week 17 game.

Belichick is a little different animal than most NFL coaches.

To understand the ways of the Patriot RB situation is to understand the mysteries of the universe.

I will leave such complex matters to those much smarter than I.

:yes:
I have heard this again and again over the years, to which I openly question where this urban legend has come from.

NE has assigned roles for their RBs. The only time that really changes is if someone gets hurt, or in the case of Ridley, if someone fumbles too often or at the wrong times. Other than that, NE has been a pretty clear RB situation the whole time BB has been there.

In the early years it was Antowoin Smith and Corey Dillon as bellcow backs. Then they switched to a two down back with a third down/receiving back model (Maroney and Faulk, BJGE and Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen). This year, it should be Blount and whoever wins the third down back competition (Lewis? Bolden? White?). They all might get a few carries here and there, but my money is on Blount to get 200-250 touches and the goal line work.

Although they didn't run it in the preseason, NE will have an uber jumbo package with Gronk/Chandler as ends and another lineman as a fullback. So they will have 8 guys of 270+ pounds on the field as a plow for Blount to run behind.

The only real problem with NE is their game planning. Some weeks they will completely avoid the run, whether it be from the opponent's having a really poor secondary or being stout against the run. Not much you can do other than pay attention to who NE is playing.

Pissed off Legarrette Blount had his draft stock plummet after punching a guy, got cut by TEN after punching another, then ran angry once he finally got a chance with TB the second half of 2010. He blew up for most of his 1000/6 the last part of that season.

Once he settled in, content that he had a secure gig, Legarrette Blount showed occasional flashes, then slowly let his performance slide into complete irrelevance over 2011 and 2012.

Pissed off Legarrette Blount was ditched by TB to the Pats, where he languished only long enough to completely explode at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs, famously putting up his 76/2, 189/2, and 166/4 lines in consecutive weeks, and building the "Legarrette Blount scores touchdowns every time he touches the ball as a Patriot" mystique.

After that, he became an attractive option for teams, and signed a decent two year contract with PIT, became content, and promptly quit caring about perfoming so completely that he became useless as an NFL player, a notorious cancer, and utterly unrosterable for the Steelers. They cut him outright.

Pissed off Legarrette Blount had a fistful of 5.0+ ypc games after getting picked up, a handful of multi-TD games, and became an integral part of a SB run.

Now, he's secure in his role, and is once again going to be content Legarrette.

You wanna roll the dice on that history? I'll be first in line to pick him off the FA scrap heap once he inevitably wears out his welcome in NE, but until then, I expect him to blow and ultimately find himself expendable. I believe we're already seeing the first signs of it.
The fact he had to be placed on the non football injury list because he wasn't close to being able to pass the conditioning test fits your narrative.

Saboo said:
It wasn't a poor rushing performance. His line was awful. He was hit in the backfield several times and had nowhere to go. When he had something to work with he showed patience, power and niftyness in the hole.
10/24 is a poor rushing performance for the unit as a whole, including Blount and the line.

I'm open to the argument that as a vet min type of guy, he might still be in his "running angry" place. But there's really nothing in his history that suggests he's particularly concerned about being a good soldier so he can profit. He seems to be motivated only when he's cast into the junk heap, and as soon as he has a secure-enough gig that he can slack off and get high as much as he wants, he coasts till he gets another wake up call.

Saboo said:
10/24 is a poor rushing performance for the unit as a whole, including Blount and the line. For fantasy purposes, it doesn't really matter who's fault it is. I'll take a bad RB who dominates behind a great line oline over a great RB who has poor rushing performances behind a weak oline.
Were the starting o-linemen playing?

Blount failed a conditioning test on a day that was 95 degrees wioth 95 humidity and their was a health warning locally to avoid spending too much time outside. Trust me, I was out that day and got winded just walking to my car. IMO, way different than if it were a more reasonable temperature and humidity.

NE has not rolled out their starting offense at all in the exhibition games. Gronk and LaFell didn't play at all. Edelman has been banged up and hasn't been in the lineup. They have been sending out rookie OLmen. Brady only played a few series. Oh, and they were running a high school team's playbook. DO NOT gauge the offense on what you saw in the preseason.

Saboo said:
10/24 is a poor rushing performance for the unit as a whole, including Blount and the line. For fantasy purposes, it doesn't really matter who's fault it is. I'll take a bad RB who dominates behind a great line oline over a great RB who has poor rushing performances behind a weak oline.
Were the starting o-linemen playing?
I'm honestly not sure, didn't get to see much of the game. But if Blount is their #1 RB I'd be a bit surprised if BB woukd give him that much work, and risk injury behind 2nd stringers.

I'm open to the argument that as a vet min type of guy, he might still be in his "running angry" place. But there's really nothing in his history that suggests he's particularly concerned about being a good soldier so he can profit. He seems to be motivated only when he's cast into the junk heap, and as soon as he has a secure-enough gig that he can slack off and get high as much as he wants, he coasts till he gets another wake up call.
In Blount's last 16 games with NE, he's had 1050/15. I'd take that from a guy that is getting drafted RB29/Pick 77 (based on ADP from the past 10 days at MFL).

In Blount's last 16 games with NE, he's had 1050/15. I'd take that from a guy that is getting drafted RB29/Pick 77 (based on ADP from the past 10 days at MFL).
Mentioned earlier that everyone in my league lives in NE. I drafted Blount at 140 overall. Gray went at 87. Just passing along info.Edited to add that I actually texted a league mate post draft asking why nobody wanted Blount. It was weird.

Saboo said:
10/24 is a poor rushing performance for the unit as a whole, including Blount and the line.
It's week 4 of the pre-season. Does the stat line really matter? He was running behind a line made up of 2's and 3's. He looked good given room to run.

Saboo said:
It's week 4 of the pre-season. Does the stat line really matter? He was running behind a line made up of 2's and 3's. He looked good given room to run.
No, doesn't really matter much.

How many other players had that conditioning test that day? How many passed? How many failed?

How many other players had that conditioning test that day? How many passed? How many failed?
I can look the other way when someone suffers from heat exhaustion on the first day of camp. He came back a day or two later and was knocking guys on their butts and looked like the best player on the field. This is a complete non issue as far as I am concerned.

Blount failed a conditioning test on a day that was 95 degrees wioth 95 humidity and their was a health warning locally to avoid spending too much time outside. Trust me, I was out that day and got winded just walking to my car. IMO, way different than if it were a more reasonable temperature and humidity.
Poor guy, we can't expect him to play a game for millions of dollars in 95 humidity! He deserves a nap.

Poor guy, we can't expect him to play a game for millions of dollars in 95 humidity! He deserves a nap.
I think we probably shouldn't have anyone play any game at 95 degrees with 95% humidity.

Maybe deathball.

Just to stir the pot, did Le'Veon Bell play last night? I'm not sure I follow the logic of risking a player you highly value in a meaningless game over what amounts to a week - not at the RB position. I mean, who knows what is scheming in Patriot land but when I cut & Paste names, I just don't get it.
On top of missing week one, he missed some camp time with an injury. Combined with getting more reps in the passing game, it's not a stretch to think BB just wanted to get him more time on the field.
Of all the coaches in the NFL, you don't think hoodie doesn't know what he has in Blount?

Bill Belichick has left Brady in the game deep in 4th quarters of blowout games exposing him to hits. He (in)famously had Gronkowski on the PAT blocking team late in a blowout game where he broke his arm. Wes Welker tore his ACL and missed the playoffs in a meaningless Week 17 game.

He is but those are games that count and part of the Patriots aura is how they don't care to stomp the will out of teams.

I get the perspective but I think just as a business decision on what there is possibly there to gain vs. lose, this is simply not a decision you would make without there being another angle (and the Patriots always have another angle).

He is but those are games that count and part of the Patriots aura is how they don't care to stomp the will out of teams.

I get the perspective but I think just as a business decision on what there is possibly there to gain vs. lose, this is simply not a decision you would make without there being another angle (and the Patriots always have another angle).
Maybe BB just wanted to get him some more work? He also threw to his 2 down hammer 7 times (2nd on the team) on the night. Maybe he doesn't like his passing down options so much and wants to work Blount into the passing game more this year. How about that perspective?

Of all the coaches in the NFL, you don't think hoodie doesn't know what he has in Blount?
You don't think he knows what he has in Tom Brady? Why did he play Brady in preseason at all?

Maybe BB just wanted to get him some more work? He also threw to his 2 down hammer 7 times (2nd on the team) on the night. Maybe he doesn't like his passing down options so much and wants to work Blount into the passing game more this year. How about that perspective?
It's just as valid as any guess I am making or anyone else. Sure. I would question, however, why they would pursue that role with Blount when they have three other Rbs on the team that are better skilled at that role and they are well-known as a team that clearly has that role carved out for their players.

It is definitely worth considering. They could maybe want to "downsize" and get back to a "do it all" group of people but that doesn't seem to match their philosophy of the past several years.

You don't think he knows what he has in Tom Brady? Why did he play Brady in preseason at all?
Completely different. All the players, if healthy, starters and such, play in the pre-season. Big Ben plays SOMETIME. Peyton Manning plays sometime. But they don't play in the 4th pre-season game. Tom Brady didn't last night.

The 4th pre-season game is WELL known to be the game that is no man's land for starters and safe players unless the team simply doesn't have the personnel to not play a starter. This is the game you put people in who are clearly on the outs, might be able to generate some trade value, or that the team genuinely has questions about and are on the fence on.

Because you have SO many players out there that know they are literally playing their last downs of their dreams or are trying to win a job and because there is so little cohesiveness in these units, it gets reckless out there. You have sloppy play. You have those players being too zealous that break people's arms and tear their knees up or concuss them terribly.

You simply do not put starters (not talking about just a guy, but a STARTER) out there in that game unless you have some questions, concerns, etc.

It's just as valid as any guess I am making or anyone else. Sure. I would question, however, why they would pursue that role with Blount when they have three other Rbs on the team that are better skilled at that role and they are well-known as a team that clearly has that role carved out for their players.

It is definitely worth considering. They could maybe want to "downsize" and get back to a "do it all" group of people but that doesn't seem to match their philosophy of the past several years.
Possibly because he covets Blount as his hammer but would like to keep the defense guessing when Blount is in the game?

Possibly because he covets Blount as his hammer but would like to keep the defense guessing when Blount is in the game?
Possible but is it worth the risk considering you can play a two back system and have that guesswork in the game whenever you want it? You may be right. I do NOT know what they are doing. I just know it looks "off".

To me it is simple risk management. If the Packers called me 3 weeks ago and said "You have Jordy Nelson on your ff team. Do you want us to play him in the pre-season?" my answer would be "no. Because we all know what you have in Jordy Nelson and the only thing that can happen is he gets hurt. If you can't find the time to teach him one new trick or aspect of the game in practice, you should be fired."

I think I understand why some of you guys think belichick's so hard to figure out. Some of you are talking yourselves in circles in here.

Completely different. All the players, if healthy, starters and such, play in the pre-season. Big Ben plays SOMETIME. Peyton Manning plays sometime. But they don't play in the 4th pre-season game. Tom Brady didn't last night. The 4th pre-season game is WELL known to be the game that is no man's land for starters and safe players unless the team simply doesn't have the personnel to not play a starter. This is the game you put people in who are clearly on the outs, might be able to generate some trade value, or that the team genuinely has questions about and are on the fence on.

Because you have SO many players out there that know they are literally playing their last downs of their dreams or are trying to win a job and because there is so little cohesiveness in these units, it gets reckless out there. You have sloppy play. You have those players being too zealous that break people's arms and tear their knees up or concuss them terribly.

You simply do not put starters (not talking about just a guy, but a STARTER) out there in that game unless you have some questions, concerns, etc.
I agree that it's unusual to play starters in game 4 of preseason for the reasons you stated. But I'm having a hard time believing Blount is on the bubble either. He's been awesome for BB when called upon in the past, and has reportedly had an impressive camp. Like I said this morning, maybe it was a trade showcase? What's your take?

The best threads (maybe worst) are when armchairs try to get in the heads of coaches like Belicheat and Shennanigans on RB situations. Pure comedy.

Other side of the coin. How comfortable is BB with the rest of his RB crew?
Well he knows what he has in Blount, Gray and Bolden. I think he probably has a pretty good idea in what he has in White and Lewis now too. To date, White has not been reliable in any facet of the game, Lewis on the other hand has looked pretty good catching balls out of the backfield. Cadet unfortunately just can't get healthy.

Bolden is a special teamer who knows how to do pretty much everything in the backfield, but is good at none of it.

Other side of the coin. How comfortable is BB with the rest of his RB crew?
Not sure where you are going with this. The Pats were the first team to win a SB without a player getting 100 carries. They probably spend less at the RB position than any team in the league (or close to it). At this point, I don't think BB looks at the RB spot and looks at it as a main focus of the team.

Users who are viewing this thread