What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crabtree -- torn Achilles? (1 Viewer)

Is it just me or is this injury becoming more common now? I don't remember hearing about too many of these a decade ago.

Ugh.

Guess I will have to hold Colston for another year.

Interesting how it impacts on the 49ers season. Passing game takes a hit and if Gore were to go down......

Is it just me or is this injury becoming more common now? I don't remember hearing about too many of these a decade ago.
I am totally just speculating, but maybe it has something to do with the fake grass. I know they used to play on artifical turf, but it is not nearly as grabby and hard on the achilles as the fake grass?

Just throwing it out there.

unless Jenkins can get his act together, this hurts Kaepernick big time in my eyes. I'm sure glad i haven't unloaded Romo yet in my dynasty league thinking that Kaep was gonna be my guy from here on out.

I am totally just speculating, but maybe it has something to do with the fake grass. I know they used to play on artifical turf, but it is not nearly as grabby and hard on the achilles as the fake grass?

The whole point of the new turf is to be less grabby.

unless Jenkins can get his act together, this hurts Kaepernick big time in my eyes. I'm sure glad i haven't unloaded Romo yet in my dynasty league thinking that Kaep was gonna be my guy from here on out.
Haha that's exactly what I did in a league in the Romo/Kaep situation.

The guy I'm bumping up in this situation is Vernon Davis. If Davis can return to being the primary pass catching weapon in this offense then Kaep might not take as big a fall as some might fear.

Perhaps this means a great season for Vernon Davis? Boldin can't stretch the field, Manningham won't be ready for training camp (if he makes it that far), and Jenkins/Patton are unproven.

And let's not forget that Crabtree could be placed on IR and still return late in the season..though hard to say how effective he'd be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps this means a great season for Vernon Davis? Boldin can't stretch the field, Manningham won't be ready for training camp (if he makes it that far), and Jenkins/Patton are unproven.

And let's not forget that Crabtree could be placed on IR and still return late in the season..though hard to say how effective he'd be.
More targets probably, but almost certainly he will see much more coverage to try and stop him.

Not real sure it helps, but I can't see it hurting Davis

Artifical turf you wore running shoes. Fake grass you wear cleats. It is way more grabby on the fake grass imo.

Horrible news. Don't own him anywhere, but getting this sort of off-season news is just the suck.

Boldin becomes a ton more interesting IMO.

Grabby stuff causes Knee injuries or sprains. An Achillies injury is an explosive injury. The tendon ruptures from to much force being generated by the Calf muscle. Not from twisting or getting stuck.

I'd say they have to seriously consider Moss, and Lloyd at this point. Moss makes sense because of his familiarity with the offense and he can still play. LLoyd if they want a guy who is a little bit younger, but with a similar skill set.

Fantasy implications aside; this has to be a huge blow for the 49er SB hopes if he is out for the year. Crabtree was really coming into his own when Kap took over and now the only downfield threat is a TE (allbeit Davis is an athletic TE with an ability to make plays downfield)..ugh.

Going off memory here, but Hakeem Crab Demaryuis and Julio all had the smae broken foot injury. Is there a higher probability of an achilles injury now that two of them have had the same injury?

This could hurt Kaepernick a bit, too, as Crabtree was seemingly not only his favorite target, but the receiver he seemed to be on the same page with the most. Not saying that can't happen with the others, but it is a concern.

This could hurt Kaepernick a bit, too, as Crabtree was seemingly not only his favorite target, but the receiver he seemed to be on the same page with the most. Not saying that can't happen with the others, but it is a concern.
If Kaep is completely for real with his arm, and performs with other receivers in the wings, this will prove it. That's not to discredit what he did late and in the playoffs at all, but basically saying this is a true test of his mettle/talent in the air. If he can still get it done with a lesser WR corps sans Crab, he is the second coming when you combine what he has shown he's capable of on the ground. Will still have the ground game and Gore to help in that respect, but definitely hurts a potential SB run for the 49ers outside of fantasy in 2013. Stinks, because who knows what Gore will be entering 2014 when Crab's back.

Seems like you are going to get alot over the middle to VDavis and Boldin. The outside WRs become more important IMO. AJ Jenkins, Patton, Mario...someone has to step up.

Wow, this is crazy. I almost certainly wasn't going to pay anything near WR13 price for him this year but was very interested to see how his season pans out. What a shame.

Moving forward, I agree with the sentiment that they bring someone in. Lloyd would make sense. Bringing Moss back would make sense, too. If they don't, I'd be very interested in Boldin if his price doesn't jump too much. Currently he's WR45.

this guy was on par for a breakout season
I think this actually saved a LOT of people from overdrafting him this year. I don't know how he could possibly have sustained the hype he was getting.
I'm in leagues that are not dynasty, but "keep a few for a few years." He is on my radar in those formats, as I think he will be un-protected and cheap since he won't likely contribute a ton in 2013. Buy, buy, buy and hold in that case at the 2013 draft price.

The near term value of Quinton Patton looks a bit better at this point.
This creates an interesting situation because it will definitely boost Patton and will be interesting to see if that is justified.

I think it will be like the above poster stated; a lot of middle work for Vernon and Q. That's probably the most likely boost.

BUT...who knows? Maybe this is one of those things that opens up the door for Jenkins and he comes in and seizes the opportunity.

this guy was on par for a breakout season
I think this actually saved a LOT of people from overdrafting him this year. I don't know how he could possibly have sustained the hype he was getting.
I'm in leagues that are not dynasty, but "keep a few for a few years." He is on my radar in those formats, as I think he will be un-protected and cheap since he won't likely contribute a ton in 2013. Buy, buy, buy and hold in that case at the 2013 draft price.
Yeah, patience could be rewarded in a league like that. Boy, that's a bitter pill to ask some people to swallow. They had to sit on him and wait once already. How many owners have it in them to do it again vs. just let him go?

Some immediate tweets on Crabtree's torn achilles:

Jene Bramel‏@JeneBramel55m

Will be interesting to see the narrative on Crabtree's Achilles' injury. Do we hear usual "career-ending" or "career-changing" argument?

Jene Bramel‏@JeneBramel52m

Crabtree's recovery will depend on many things but six months and midseason return is possible.

Jene Bramel‏@JeneBramel52m

Wouldn't immediately assume same quick recovery that Suggs had. That was partial tear. Still some unknowns with Crabtree.

Jene Bramel‏@JeneBramel35m

I'm not saying Crabtree is sure bet to recover to full form. Just noting that immediate rxn shouldn't be that full recovery is a longshot.

Jene Bramel‏@JeneBramel31m

Smooth 6 mo rehab w/ plan to return to active roster for December and possible playoffs would be hopeful gameplan for Niners and Crabtree.

Jene Bramel‏@JeneBramel25m

@TotalNiners @WilliamsonNFL First step explosiveness, change of direction are primary concerns. Residual stiffness/pain would affect both.

Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN24m

Do not know if Michael Crabtree's Achilles injury is a complete tear or partial, like the season-ender Kendall Hunter sustained last season.

Still a top 20 dynasty WR?
No. Achilles injury is too much for a WR to return from IMO.
I don't think he was a lock for top 15 WR before this ... after an achilles tear, partial or full, I don't see how he could reasonably be considered in the top 30. I wouldn't take him more than a mid-WR3 and that's max value, IMO. I probably wouldn't take him until 35+ if a dynasty drafted before this season. DT is the exception, IMO. Most people don't recover well from these.

Brutal. I hate to see injuries like that to anyone, even though I don't own him anywhere and am not a 49ers fan.

D Thomas did it.

I guess I can rephrase a bit - if we assume Crab is out for all of the 2013 season, but returns at "100%" in 2014 with the same expectations and such he had for this season (so assume exact same player he was yesterday, but you'd have to bench him for all of this season and start using him in 2014 when he'll be 27) - is he still a "top 20" dynasty WR?

Achilles injury is very concerning going forward. However to say "it is too much for a WR to return from" is a bit extreme considering what Damaryius Thomas did last year.

D Thomas did it.

I guess I can rephrase a bit - if we assume Crab is out for all of the 2013 season, but returns at "100%" in 2014 with the same expectations and such he had for this season (so assume exact same player he was yesterday, but you'd have to bench him for all of this season and start using him in 2014 when he'll be 27) - is he still a "top 20" dynasty WR?
D Thomas is also: younger when injury happened, bigger, and a much better athlete than Crab

Users who are viewing this thread