What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dan Snyder thread (1 Viewer)

Where would this guy rank on your list of "worst owner of a professional sports team in my lifetime"?

I'm a baby boomer and can't remember a worse owner in my lifetime. Maybe with some remembering research I could come up with one.

O.K. Donald Sterling comes to mind.
I'm 60 and grew up a Baltimore Colts fan, so both Carroll Rosenbloom and Robert Irsay can rot somewhere hot. Rosenbloom was your run-of-the-mill degenerate (though he threw SBIII, so screw him). Irsay was a special kind of awful, especially what he did to his own family. 

I remember the owner of the Cleveland Cavs in the late 70s or early 80s - Sepien maybe, was his name? - was so bad the NBA had to change its rules on trading picks/players for money because he was using the team as an ATM.

But Snyder is the flat-out worst. A lot of the old-time owners could get away with stuff and probably did awful things. Snyder's been doing it in an age where you can't hide it for very long, and he kept doing it.

IIRC Sterling had to sell his NBA team because of racist comments he made in a private conversation. I would never defend him but in light of that I don't understand how Snyder didn't have to sell many years ago.
The NBA is a very different beast from the NFL. Same goes for their respective commissioners.

Lawyers representing Commanders employees seek release from nondisclosure agreements

With Commanders owner Daniel Snyder apparently hoping to testify before the House Oversight Committee without a subpoena in order to hide behind nondisclosure agreements that generally benefit him, lawyers representing more than 40 former employees of the team have requested that Snyder release them from their NDAs...

... Mr. Snyder did waive NDAs for any individual who wanted to speak with investigator Beth Wilkinson (and then refused to allow the results of that investigation to be released, even to the Committee), he did not similarly agree to waive NDAs for witnesses appearing before the Committee. As such, he has effectively prevented any witness with an NDA from sharing information with the Committee without exposing themselves to serious legal risk that Mr. Snyder will pursue legal action against them.”...

...“NDAs as a condition of employment are always wrong, but . . . NDAs that are a term of a separation package can be valuable for an employee if it is desired by the employee and is truly voluntary,” they write. “NDAs that are forced upon an employee in order to allow perpetrators to continue their predatory behavior are wrong and we support legislation to ban them.”

Snyder has been giving testimony for about 5 hours so far today before the House Oversight Committee - via Zoom from Israel. He reportedly evaded service of the subpoena for some time but is now appearing voluntarily. 

People are going "Now he can just enjoy his life and vacation all the time"

People don't seem to understand "these" kind of people.

Bad news for the rest of the NFC East if he does sell though. He has been super consistent as a crap owner.

I'm guessing this is just him looking to sell a minority stake in the team to raise funds for a stadium that nobody else will build for him, but I desperately hope I'm wrong.

He just doesn't seem like one to go quietly and will have to be dragged out by his tiny feet.

How many FBG's on this board? I say we all ante up,buy The Washington Team,change their name to The Washington Football Guys and start as many crowd funding sources as we can to build a new stadium. Who's in?

I'll be joyous when it does happen. Until then count me skeptical. He's not the type to go quietly into the night, even if he had a $5B payday to make him go.

I do think he looks like absolute hell these days. Hair a mess. Khakis. White T-shirts. Bad jackets. Never shaves. Nothing like how he looked a few years ago in top of the line suits. Maybe the pressure finally got to him. Maybe Tanya is telling him she's had enough of being his stand in. Who knows. He will have a great life if he sells. Rich beyond belief. Congress and the NFL will drop the investigations. He won't have to fight for a stadium. All his troubles will go away and he can ride it out in his palaces and Maybachs.

I would add though, as a billionaire are you gonna buy into a minority stake in this team? Nope. You are gonna want to run the show given the past 20 years. And you are gonna wipe the slate clean of Snyder's major issues they are investigating.

Last edited:
How many FBG's on this board? I say we all ante up,buy The Washington Team,change their name to The Washington Football Guys and start as many crowd funding sources as we can to build a new stadium. Who's in?
I was thinking that it's a shame that I could win the Powerball and after taxes still only being able to hit 5% of Snyder's asking price.

Report: Pressure from other owners forced Daniel Snyder’s hand

Plenty of theories have emerged in the aftermath of Wednesday’s stunning announcement by the Commanders that ownership is looking for a buyer. A new report ties the decision to one very simple dynamic. Dan Snyder’s peers are telling him it’s time to go, and he’s apparently listening.

According to Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, multiple owners “have confronted” Snyder privately in recent weeks regarding the question of whether he should cash out and move on. Even more, per the report, have told Commissioner Roger Goodell “that something must give.”

Wednesday’s news came from the “growing consensus” that it’s time.

It’s surprising that Snyder is willing to listen. He had seemed to be determined to refuse to sell, and to embrace the reality that a protracted legal fight would be required to get him to go away. Obviously, something has registered for him in recent days.

Users who are viewing this thread