What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (8 Viewers)

Tom Hagen said:
As long as we are nitpicking, did the hounds that found Theon and Sansa just disappear when Brienne and Pod showed up? 
Theon had some Liversnaps that he just threw into a thicket.

SPOILER:::

They chased after them. 

matuski said:
I love the I am going to watch a show with dragons, witches, zombies, and giants - but complain about the lack of realism regarding how people survived jumping off a wall and crossing a river schtick.
The realism is set within the rules of the world the story is set in.

The realism is set within the rules of the world the story is set in.
Agreed -  I guess where we disagree is where those lines are.

I can look past clothes being dry after they come out of a river the same way I look past so many other things.  Others apparently see it as some opportunity to criticize the writing and continuity.  Oh well.  :shrug:

Do you guys think that old lady melissandre was done with CGI or did they actually find some 80+ year old woman to be the body double? I'd think it would be hard to find someone that old who was willing to do full frontal. 

This is the first legitimate topic of dicussion for this episode.

Van Houten estimates Melisandre's real age to be in the 200-300-year-old range, and she spent many hours in the makeup chair to achieve that "look." They also used an 80-year-old Body Double. "This lovely lady from Ireland," Van Houten says. "She was really sweet." 

"I did six hours of makeup," Van Houten says of her process. "It's not just one face that they glue on you. But it's worth it because of what you look like after. It was quite nice, it was like a zen practice for me, I quite enjoyed it," she said of her time in the makeup chair. "I need music. I can't do it without. I have very eclectic taste, from jazz to reggae to indie rock, pop, a lot." 
Link.

Agreed -  I guess where we disagree is where those lines are.

I can look past clothes being dry after they come out of a river the same way I look past so many other things.  Others apparently see it as some opportunity to criticize the writing and continuity.  Oh well.  :shrug:
Eh whatever. The reason I bring it up is that the writers are usually pretty good at addressing holes. Has zero bearing on how much I enjoy the show. 

Tom Hagen said:
As long as we are nitpicking, did the hounds that found Theon and Sansa just disappear when Brienne and Pod showed up? 
They heard there was some tasty Kennel Master's daughter on that night's menu, and hurried back for dinner.

Do you guys think that old lady melissandre was done with CGI or did they actually find some 80+ year old woman to be the body double? I'd think it would be hard to find someone that old who was willing to do full frontal. 
I read an article that said that they use a body double for the body and then Melissandre's actress (forget her name) with rubber face and stuff and then married them together.... basically like they did with the walk of shame last year. So, yea, apparently that is really an old woman's body you are looking at.  :X  

I thought they did a pretty damn good job of covering the major plot lines.  That being said, I wish they would do without the whole Sand Snake line.  Last season we were made to think that the big black bodyguard of the Prince of Dorne was totally kickass.  Next thing you know he's knocked off in a pretty weak fashion. Killing off the PoD is a mistake IMO.  Only redeeming factor will be watching each of the SSs die gruesome deaths (at least this one hopes).

Sure didnt take much to kill Doran's bodyguard. One stab wound and he was instantly killed.
It was a weak stab too, but figured it being Dorne, there was probably some fast acting poison on the blade.  Still didn't care for him being off'd that way.

Did enjoy the spear point through the face though (the the Prince's son got it).

Sorry if a dumb question -

So I'm totally caught up on the show - but I did so while "binge watching" the previous 5 seasons all in the span of a few weeks this past summer after my son was born and my sleep situation was all over the place (get up with him at 2 am for a feeding, couldn't get back to sleep so I'd watch an episode or two).  I got all the major plot points down, but I'm sure I missed a whole lot of the small stuff.  So I'm going to rewatch from the beginning, and maybe the wife will join me (we'll see).  I see this thread is titled "tv only, no backstory", but is there any "homework" one should do either before starting, or while watching?  Something to keep all the family trees and who's an ally with who, who already has history with who, and a map of where things are in this world kinda stuff - or just take in what's actually on the screen?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

@matttyl

Check out this site: http://towerofthehand.com/

On the main page you can set your scope as to how many shows/seasons you've watched (you can do the same for those items with pages that we aren't supposed to mention in this thread). Just be careful of comments from users as that info could contain spoilers. This site is great for family trees, backstory, etc.

Sorry if a dumb question -

So I'm totally caught up on the show - but I did so while "binge watching" the previous 5 seasons all in the span of a few weeks this past summer after my son was born and my sleep situation was all over the place (get up with him at 2 am for a feeding, couldn't get back to sleep so I'd watch an episode or two).  I got all the major plot points down, but I'm sure I missed a whole lot of the small stuff.  So I'm going to rewatch from the beginning, and maybe the wife will join me (we'll see).  I see this thread is titled "tv only, no backstory", but is there any "homework" one should do either before starting, or while watching?  Something to keep all the family trees and who's an ally with who, who already has history with who, and a map of where things are in this world kinda stuff - or just take in what's actually on the screen?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
If you want to post in this thread ever again. Don't read anything. Nothing. Not even this thread.

You have been warned.

Anyone else start jerking off to a nice middle aged rack and then see an old lady's ####....and still continued anyways?
So would anyone else bang young Melisandre knowing she's really an old witch who could change back at any time?  

Users who are viewing this thread