What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (9 Viewers)

I'm speculating that Mellisandre didn't bring him back but Jon did some type of warg thing with Ghost like Bran did with his wolf.

Ghost woke up the same time Jon did.

Man, now I just want to know what made Hodor Hodor.

Figuring some kind of bump to the noggin, but he already had like a scar on his head as a kid.

Agree the Bran stuff sucks...should've just let that story die.
I think Bran ends up holding the key to the entire series.

Bran, Daenerys, Jon, and Tyrion will be the main characters in the final battle.  All the other characters are superfolous to the main story.  

I'm glad they didn't drag out Snow's return. As some of us argued after last season it never made any logical sense to kill him off given his importance to the story and the war with the White Walkers so most people knew he was coming back in some fashion. So delaying or stringing out his return would have been pointless and stupid, especially with a limited number of episodes. I'm glad they didn't do that and got right to it. Now we get to see if he really is himself or what coming back from the dead has done to him. 

I love how The Mountain apparently just wanders around King's Landing finding anyone who's insulting Cersei and bashes their heads in.

Ramsay has to die a truly vicious death. And please let Jon be the one who kills him. One of the few disappointing things on this show is how the people who have done the most damage to the Starks end up dying at the hands of someone other than a Stark. Roose gets offed last night by Ramsay of all people.

If I'm Arya I'm saying my name. I want my eyes back.

I know the timelines on this show are a mess to keep track of but how long exactly has Bran been in that tree tihngey? He looks about 10 years older than the last time we saw him.

Hodor's real name being Willis is awesome.

"If I lost my c**k I would drink all the time." Tyrion is awesome. :lmao:  

I know the timelines on this show are a mess to keep track of but how long exactly has Bran been in that tree tihngey? He looks about 10 years older than the last time we saw him.
Pretty sure this wasn't by design. In show time, only a couple of years should have passed since the very beginning of the series. But in real life, its been like 7 years and the kid who plays Bran hit puberty.

Was Lyanna Dany's mother?
No.

Here are all the story lines- (hopefully I won't forget anything)- in no particular order: 

1. Jon Snow at Castle Black

2. Sam and Gilly

3. Sansa and Brienne

4. Ramsey

5. Bran

6. Theon and his homeland. 

7. King's Landing- Cersei, Jamie, Tommen

8. Whatever Littlefinger is up to. 

9. Dorne

10. Dany

11. The two guys trying to find Dany. 

12. Tyrion and Varys

13. Blind Arya

14. Ricken and Osha - wherever they are

I know there is the whole R+L=J theory which is why I'm assuming we are seeing L now. I know R was her father. I forgot who her mother was.
Who do you think "her" is? Dany? 

Nobody questions who Dany's parents are. Her father was the Mad King and her mother was the mad king's sister/wife. R+L=J refers to Jon Snow's true parents (for everyone who assumes that Ned Stark wasn't actually his father)

R= Rhagear Targaryen, who as far as anyone (at least anyone still alive that we've seen) on the show is concerned, has no living children.

packersfan said:
I'm glad they didn't drag out Snow's return. As some of us argued after last season it never made any logical sense to kill him off given his importance to the story and the war with the White Walkers so most people knew he was coming back in some fashion. So delaying or stringing out his return would have been pointless and stupid, especially with a limited number of episodes. I'm glad they didn't do that and got right to it. Now we get to see if he really is himself or what coming back from the dead has done to him. 

I love how The Mountain apparently just wanders around King's Landing finding anyone who's insulting Cersei and bashes their heads in.

Ramsay has to die a truly vicious death. And please let Jon be the one who kills him. One of the few disappointing things on this show is how the people who have done the most damage to the Starks end up dying at the hands of someone other than a Stark. Roose gets offed last night by Ramsay of all people.

Concerning the bolded, I think i'd rather see Theon off Ramsey. 

Who threw Balon Greyjoy off the bridge? His brother? Did we ever meet him before? Kind of looked like Ewan McGregor.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kind of weird that a seemingly minor character not introduced since season 3 I believe has such a major role. But that's what I love about this show.

TLEF316 said:
Pretty sure this wasn't by design. In show time, only a couple of years should have passed since the very beginning of the series. But in real life, its been like 7 years and the kid who plays Bran hit puberty.
Yeah I was kidding. Kid really has grown up in a couple of years, though.

On another note, the only one I want to see being fed to dogs right now is Olly. I still want Ghost to rip him to shreds. 

Yeah I was kidding. Kid really has grown up in a couple of years, though.

On another note, the only one I want to see being fed to dogs right now is Olly. I still want Ghost to rip him to shreds. 
I mean Olly is a punk, but the wildlings did kill his family right in front of him. I'm not so sure how accepting I'd be either of having them come hang out afterwards either. 

MaxThreshold said:
Quez said:
Pretty weak witch scene imo.  No potion, smoke, cgi, etc.  Just a few snips of hair and some water in the hair?  At least sacrifice a small mammal and pour it's blood over him.
I thought the witch has to get naked in order for the spell to work.  I'm a bit disappointed myself.
Actually, I liked the red witch scene (nudity would have been great, but I have HBO Go for that). I think the point was that when she said "please" it worked. Bringing him back was less about the mumbo jumbo and was more about the faith and asking.

Hawks64 said:
I don't think they went in through the door but my memory is foggy on that. And FFS they're dragons they could knock that door down.
Pretty sure they did go in through that door. They were way, way smaller than they are now. I won't say anything about whether or not the shackles grew a bit, but I do remember then seeming to be way to big when she first put them on.

Brady Marino said:
This. Ramsay now moves beyond Joffrey in the "Most Satisfying Game of Thrones Kill (When It Happens)" category with me now. 
His dad talked about mad dogs. I am glad we didn't really see the scene, but I think it was exactly what I expected him to do. I am pretty certain that in a world like this people killed children/babies to keep their rule in place over a legitimate heir and Ramsay is a horrible person. House of Karstark (sp?) is behind him, but didn't he just kill the daughter of Frey who helped Bolton take over Winterfell with the red wedding? That can't sit too well with him. I think Ramsay is starting to bury himself as we speak. Who was the other house he mentioned as being behind the Boltons against other northerners? Was it Frey?

timschochet said:
I meant new to this season, with so many other stuff going on. And they still haven't even shown Littlefinger and Sam yet. 
So? Bran disappeared for a whole season as well. Pretty sure Sam isn't a key story line this season so we likely won't see him at all. Littlefinger will be seen because I am pretty sure he will be part of the big battles coming in the north. South battles will be in King's Landing against the zealots and against Dorne.

Frostillicus said:
I think if he had, you know, published any books at all ever I would feel differently.  But the series has been so amazingly well done and keeps having, you know, new content, so I'm 100% on board with the show now.  I must have read the first 3 books 5 times each, and the last two a handful of times I was so ready for a new book. But now, because the show is that good, I'm pretty sure if he ever does publish another book anything that diverges from the show is going to annoy me, where in the past I was more loyal to the books.
I've never read the books, may do it down the road, but I wonder if Martin is at least filling in the show folks on the final destination and major story lines.

TLEF316 said:
If the popular fan theory about Jon's true parentage is correct, I'm not sure it really matters.

I don't think Jon's true important to the whole story has anything to due with his physical ability to fight (although he's obviously a really good fighter).

I think him "dying" is just the best way to excuse him from his vows (it shall not end until my death.....) and set him on his final path while still keeping his honor.

I was wondering how we were going to see the flash backs (mainly the Tower of Joy flashback that has been publicized). Looks like Bran is going to be that window.
I think the less part is in reference to Ser Dondarrian saying that he felt less of himself every time he was brought back not that he was a lesser version of himself. I took away from that more of a spiritual thing than a physical thing. Remember, Dondarrian was doing pretty well against the Hound before his sword broke.

I like that thought about the 'dying' part and his vows. It dawned on me that after all the insistence that "Jon Snow is dead" from HBO execs, producers and Kit etc that they were telling the truth. Jon Snow is dead. Well, I don't recall them ever responding to a question of "Will Jon Snow be brought back to life?"

cap'n grunge said:
Moonlight said:
I'm speculating that Mellisandre didn't bring him back but Jon did some type of warg thing with Ghost like Bran did with his wolf.

Ghost woke up the same time Jon did.
Good theory.
I don't think that makes sense at all. Jon has never warged before and Ghost woke up before Jon did as if he sensed something happening. I don't think this is a spoiler, but in the after show bit at the end of the episode they said as much. They said the wolves have special connections to the Starks and so Ghost was sensing that something was happening with Jon. I think the magic word "please" is what got her spell to work. I think that was the point of it that she just asked with real conviction and that is what worked.

KarmaPolice said:
I have been negative about the show a lot recently, but that was probably the best episode of GoT in at least a season.  It was everything that hooked me on the series to begin with - great acting, characters, and plots.  Throw in a couple WTF moments from Ramsey for good measure.   Oh yeah - no lame #### from Dorne and no boring Dany doing the same stuff in a different place!  Definitely rekindled the fire for the show in my book, hopefully the momentum continues. 

Hated the Bran stuff the last few seasons, but will be totally worth it if we continue with the great flashback scenes. 
For a second there- I wasn't even sure who stabbed who from Bolton and Ramsay. Pretty cool unexpected scene though in hindsight makes perfect sense.

I hated the dread of Lady Bolton with the baby going to the dogs. You knew it was going to happen. You knew there would be no last second savior. You knew Ramsay is not the kind of guy to have  a change of heart. So it was just waiting to see it happen. (hated in terms of being a spectator not in terms of not liking the show)

I also don't like the idea of Jon suddenly getting Warg powers out of thin air when there was never any hint of it before. However, there's been a lot of Ghost in the first two episodes and there seems to be something going on there. Perhaps it's just the connection the wolves have with the Stark children but it feels like there's more going on. 

EYLive said:
The Mountain smashing that bums head in was awesome.

Tyrion should have sent Missandei to unchain the dragons, that was too risky a move.
Tyrion isn't a jerk like that to send other people because it is scary thing unless there is a reason to. He manned up. Another reason why Tyrion is my fav.

Anyone else think that Theons "Home" isn't the Iron Islands.....but its at Winterfell?  I think  Theon's going to get got very soon. 
I did and I thought it might have been that he felt his only way to keep Sansa alive was to kill Ramsay, which would be effing awesome.

Tonight's show was so much better than last week. Even though I knew the spell was going to work, it was still great. As soon as she said "please" I knew she asked like Thoros said he did and that it would work.

I also don't like the idea of Jon suddenly getting Warg powers out of thin air when there was never any hint of it before. However, there's been a lot of Ghost in the first two episodes and there seems to be something going on there. Perhaps it's just the connection the wolves have with the Stark children but it feels like there's more going on. 
That's what they said in the after show. I don't think that spoils anything, we've seen that connection before when they came out of nowhere to save them, etc. The warg thing is way out there, much further out there than thinking that she did what Thoros did, which we know worked before. We've gotten beaten over the head with the clues that the red witch and Snow were connected. No need to think of other reasons when they framed it up so nice.

I don't think that makes sense at all. Jon has never warged before and Ghost woke up before Jon did as if he sensed something happening. I don't think this is a spoiler, but in the after show bit at the end of the episode they said as much. They said the wolves have special connections to the Starks and so Ghost was sensing that something was happening with Jon. I think the magic word "please" is what got her spell to work. I think that was the point of it that she just asked with real conviction and that is what worked.
Agreed. There is no reason for that route anyways. They already established that resurrection is possible in this world and that it was from the "Lord of Light" god/magic. No need to make it more muddled.

I also liked little Ned teaching his brother to fight the same way Jon taught Olly and with the same words and mannerisms too. Could very well mean Jon Snow is destined to be the future King of the North. 

I also liked little Ned teaching his brother to fight the same way Jon taught Olly and with the same words and mannerisms too. Could very well mean Jon Snow is destined to be the future King of the North. 
If the big theory is right- he may be more than King in the North.

Unless Martin really hates life/just wants to be a contrarian the obvious ending is Jon and Dany hooking up and ruling the world with Tyrion as adviser and Bran controlling the dragons after the entire living world joins together and fights the White Walkers.

I think all the Stark children will stay alive and reunite. 

I know it's often hard to keep track of all of 'em but there's still one other Stark kid out there somewhere wandering around. I wouldn't be surprised if he factors into all of this in a potentially big way somehow at some point.  

Two questions for those that want to try to tackle them:

1. Ramsay is talking with the Karstark heir and mentions two other houses: Umber and another (can't remember). We know what the Karstarks are in the Bolton camp. Any ideas on Umber and the other?
  2. I think it is a safe bet to say that Thorne will be executed. What about the boy?

One thing that we saw for sure was that the Wildlings are fully willing to follow Jon Snow. Not that it would take much convincing to make Wildlings attack the Nights Watch but to do so in order to save other Nights Watchmen because of their love for Jon is noteworthy. You could see how Tormund has gone from a reluctant ally to having a real devotion to Snow as a leader.

packersfan said:

If she did, she'd never get them back. She has no name and that's the only way to keep progressing in the training and thus get her sight back.

One thing that we saw for sure was that the Wildlings are fully willing to follow Jon Snow. Not that it would take much convincing to make Wildlings attack the Nights Watch but to do so in order to save other Nights Watchmen because of their love for Jon is noteworthy. You could see how Tormund has gone from a reluctant ally to having a real devotion to Snow as a leader.
All setting the groundwork for Jon to become a powerful leader. The only question I think is what does he ultimately lead? Does he become the King of the North or something more? 

Haven't read much.. any discussion of the correlation between them hammering us over the head with the ironborn slogan of "that which is dead, cannot be killed", and Jon snow coming back from the dead?  ie... snow is now invincible in some capacity? 

Users who are viewing this thread