Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
belljr

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

One thing that we saw for sure was that the Wildlings are fully willing to follow Jon Snow. Not that it would take much convincing to make Wildlings attack the Nights Watch but to do so in order to save other Nights Watchmen because of their love for Jon is noteworthy. You could see how Tormund has gone from a reluctant ally to having a real devotion to Snow as a leader.

Absolutely, I think they are 100% behind them because he already saved them (if he didn't come there with ships, they were all dead) and now Tormund is absolutely behind him. Oh, and he also came back from the dead. The wildings are now an army that no one other than Snow knows about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chadstroma said:

Tyrion isn't a jerk like that to send other people because it is scary thing unless there is a reason to. He manned up. Another reason why Tyrion is my fav.

I think the big reason is that now Tyrion has the dragons on his side. They made a point to talk about how smart they are, and they clearly didn't have any interest in eating the little guy. Have nothing to base this on but I would guess this isn't the last we see of Tyrion with the Dragons.

Read something on Reddit about Tyrion maybe being a Targareyan also?

Tyrion taking Kings Landing on top of a dragon would be a series-ender everyone would be happy about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is Cersei, Tommen, and Jamie going to crush these fanatics already? I've been waiting patiently for Cersei to get her revenge. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Haven't read much.. any discussion of the correlation between them hammering us over the head with the ironborn slogan of "that which is dead, cannot be killed", and Jon snow coming back from the dead?  ie... snow is now invincible in some capacity? 

I guess in a way he is. If Melissandre follows him around like Thoros, one might say he is. I didn't notice that line at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

So is Cersei, Tommen, and Jamie going to crush these fanatics already? I've been waiting patiently for Cersei to get her revenge. 

I want this to happen so bad. Pretty amazing how the show has done that to the audience. 

After the first few seasons, nothing would have made me happier than to see Jamie and Cersei lose their heads.

At this point I don't want them to have the throne permanently, but I definitely wanna see them take the religious nuts down. That whole part still seems a little weird to me. I get that they put the zealots in charge, but how the hell do they keep the king's mom and wife in jail? He can't just use an executive order or presidential pardon on them?

I know they explained it a little last night with the King telling Mommy he's sorry, but that part seemed thin to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved when the giant slammed that guy against the wall. Had to immediately rewind to see it again.

I hope they do a lot more backstory with Bran. I know Max von Sydow is the three-eyed raven in Bran's dreams but I wonder what his story is in the real world. Who is he and how does he have this ability?

Thought it was a great line when Tormund said "Until you" since Jon just let them pass through but Castle Black fell under Thorne's rule. Still laugh when I see the guy playing Tormund in those hotel commercials. I guess Thorne is facing being burned alive.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skoo said:

I want this to happen so bad. Pretty amazing how the show has done that to the audience. 

After the first few seasons, nothing would have made me happier than to see Jamie and Cersei lose their heads.

At this point I don't want them to have the throne permanently, but I definitely wanna see them take the religious nuts down. That whole part still seems a little weird to me. I get that they put the zealots in charge, but how the hell do they keep the king's mom and wife in jail? He can't just use an executive order or presidential pardon on them?

I know they explained it a little last night with the King telling Mommy he's sorry, but that part seemed thin to me.

Yeah, I still don't get how this is allowed to continue. I know Tommen is a ##### and there is a fear of an revolt from the people but it's gone too far, imo. Especially with Jamie back. I don't think it will be long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Haven't read much.. any discussion of the correlation between them hammering us over the head with the ironborn slogan of "that which is dead, cannot be killed", and Jon snow coming back from the dead?  ie... snow is now invincible in some capacity? 

I don't think so, but that's only because I feel like every time we see those characters we hear that phrase 50 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Arya truly takes no name she will never reunite with her family which is sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

         25 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Haven't read much.. any discussion of the correlation between them hammering us over the head with the ironborn slogan of "that which is dead, cannot be killed", and Jon snow coming back from the dead?  ie... snow is now invincible in some capacity? 

I don't think so, but that's only because I feel like every time we see those characters we hear that phrase 50 times.

 

"That which is dead can never die" is the phrase and it's the phrase used by those that follow the Drowned God.

Kind of like "the night is dark and full of terrors" for the followers of the Lord of Light, and "Valar morghulis" and the Many Faced God.

I guess they need a rallying cry.

Edited by Mjolnirs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Haven't read much.. any discussion of the correlation between them hammering us over the head with the ironborn slogan of "that which is dead, cannot be killed", and Jon snow coming back from the dead?  ie... snow is now invincible in some capacity? 

I think that that is just the religions saying. Like how Muslims have the standard saying and standard reply. Not sure there is any hidden meaning there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

If Arya truly takes no name she will never reunite with her family which is sad

Yup which is why I hope it doesn't happen.

The show's done an amazing job of making me want to see Cersei get her revenge. She's truly despicable but the High Sparrow is a smug SOB. I really wanted Jamie to take him out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Absolutely, I think they are 100% behind them because he already saved them (if he didn't come there with ships, they were all dead) and now Tormund is absolutely behind him. Oh, and he also came back from the dead. The wildings are now an army that no one other than Snow knows about.

Not sure they are an Army. How many are left at this point? They lost a lot attacking the Wall. They lost a whole bunch when the White Walkers attacked. The group in front of the wall waiting to come in looked more like hundreds than thousands. Sure, more than the 30 or 40 left of Nights Watch but I am not sure they amount to an Army now.

Am I wrong on that thinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, timschochet said:

So is Cersei, Tommen, and Jamie going to crush these fanatics already? I've been waiting patiently for Cersei to get her revenge. 

I think the brute response would be to crush them but the political response may be different. If they people are behind the Sparrow then going after them may end in a city wide revolt. I think Cersei is too smart for that. Most likely why we saw a small revenge of the dude showing his ding dong to her than going after the Sparrow. The revenge will most likely need to be asymmetrical.

Anyone else think that a Jamie with two hands would have decided to kill the Sparrow and take down the followers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No. 16 said:

Unless Martin really hates life/just wants to be a contrarian the obvious ending is Jon and Dany hooking up and ruling the world with Tyrion as adviser and Bran controlling the dragons after the entire living world joins together and fights the White Walkers.

I think all the Stark children will stay alive and reunite. 

You want Jon to bang his Aunt?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep reading stuff about the "Tower of Joy" today.

Can someone clue me in or is this something only the book readers would know about?

Not trying to induce spoilers, if that's possible at this point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

 

Anyone else think that a Jamie with two hands would have decided to kill the Sparrow and take down the followers?

Was thinking that as it happened.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skoo said:

Keep reading stuff about the "Tower of Joy" today.

Can someone clue me in or is this something only the book readers would know about?

Not trying to induce spoilers, if that's possible at this point...

Its a book readers thing - Bran will visit the Tower of Joy via the tree - see his father in the past - learn some things about the extended family - nobody knows what Bran will learn, book readers or show readers - there are theories - but the books have not divulged what happened at the end of the battle at the Tower of Joy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Keep reading stuff about the "Tower of Joy" today.

Can someone clue me in or is this something only the book readers would know about?

Not trying to induce spoilers, if that's possible at this point...

Probably only book readers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sinn Fein said:

Its a book readers thing - Bran will visit the Tower of Joy via the tree - see his father in the past - learn some things about the extended family - nobody knows what Bran will learn, book readers or show readers - there are theories - but the books have not divulged what happened at the end of the battle at the Tower of Joy.

Thanks, so the Tower of Joy was a battle that Ned Stark fought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Skoo said:

Thanks, so the Tower of Joy was a battle that Ned Stark fought?

Will PM since I think people are still touchy in this thread about book stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balon's brother thinks very highly of himself.

I wonder if Kingsmoot is a competition or just a vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I want this to happen so bad. Pretty amazing how the show has done that to the audience. 

After the first few seasons, nothing would have made me happier than to see Jamie and Cersei lose their heads.

At this point I don't want them to have the throne permanently, but I definitely wanna see them take the religious nuts down. That whole part still seems a little weird to me. I get that they put the zealots in charge, but how the hell do they keep the king's mom and wife in jail? He can't just use an executive order or presidential pardon on them?

I know they explained it a little last night with the King telling Mommy he's sorry, but that part seemed thin to me.

I'm not rooting for Cersei against anybody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sn0mm1s said:

Will PM since I think people are still touchy in this thread about book stuff.

Cool thanks, apologies to everyone for seeking out a spoiler, not my intention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Skoo said:

Cool thanks, apologies to everyone for seeking out a spoiler, not my intention.

Not so much spoilers, it's related to things that happened in the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jamny said:

Loved when the giant slammed that guy against the wall. Had to immediately rewind to see it again.

I hope they do a lot more backstory with Bran. I know Max von Sydow is the three-eyed raven in Bran's dreams but I wonder what his story is in the real world. Who is he and how does he have this ability?

Thought it was a great line when Tormund said "Until you" since Jon just let them pass through but Castle Black fell under Thorne's rule. Still laugh when I see the guy playing Tormund in those hotel commercials. I guess Thorne is facing being burned alive.

 

 

 

The line to Thorne was just gold. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Not so much spoilers, it's related to things that happened in the books.

I feel like it was referenced by Ned and Robert back in Season 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jamny said:

Was thinking that as it happened.

I'm not so sure. They had him pretty well surrounded. I think he gets taken out no matter what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry Manback said:

The only funny part is how people think it's funny to trick others into thinking they're stupid.

What are you talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Capella said:

Great show but could do without the dogs eating a day old baby. Just seems like a bit much. We know Ramsay is crazy already. 

But the day old baby is cheaper than the fresh baby.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

For a second there- I wasn't even sure who stabbed who from Bolton and Ramsay. Pretty cool unexpected scene though in hindsight makes perfect sense.

I hated the dread of Lady Bolton with the baby going to the dogs. You knew it was going to happen. You knew there would be no last second savior. You knew Ramsay is not the kind of guy to have  a change of heart. So it was just waiting to see it happen. (hated in terms of being a spectator not in terms of not liking the show)

Agree x2.  Having a little one in the house I was tearing up a tad knowing they were walking to their doom.  I could be making it up, but I also thought I saw a split second after he sent the dogs where even Ramsey flinched or had to look away, then looked back with the Ramsey evilness we know.  Thought it was a great sequence from start to finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait to see that bible-thumping High Sparrow eat it...my hope is the mountain rips his head off (literally), or something worse than what he did to Oberon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, No. 16 said:

Unless Martin really hates life/just wants to be a contrarian the obvious ending is Jon and Dany hooking up and ruling the world with Tyrion as adviser and Bran controlling the dragons after the entire living world joins together and fights the White Walkers.

I think all the Stark children will stay alive and reunite. 

I think Martin loves the bittersweet endings.  Something on the lines of somebody good like Jon sitting on the throne at the end, but the Kingdom is in ruins and people he loves dead is more what I am expecting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this show so much.  Best thing going right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

So is Hillary, Chelsea, and Bill going to crush these Bernie Bros already? I've been waiting patiently for Hillary to get her revenge. 

Fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, packersfan said:

I also liked little Ned teaching his brother to fight the same way Jon taught Olly and with the same words and mannerisms too. Could very well mean Jon Snow is destined to be the future King of the North. 

I took that as being more of echoes of scenes we saw of the Stark kids together before they all went their separate ways in Season 1.  I like the Jon/Olly take too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gustavo Fring said:

Can't wait to see that bible-thumping High Sparrow eat it...my hope is the mountain rips his head off (literally), or something worse than what he did to Oberon.  

I'm not sure who I want to see die more painfully him or Ramsay. Pretty damn close.

Throw in Olly and go for the perfect trifecta. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

Two questions for those that want to try to tackle them:

  1. Ramsay is talking with the Karstark heir and mentions two other houses: Umber and another (can't remember). We know what the Karstarks are in the Bolton camp. Any ideas on Umber and the other?
  2. I think it is a safe bet to say that Thorne will be executed. What about the boy?

As to #1,  I take the North as being vast as spread out.  For whatever reason, I assumed that they all spread out after the big battle and went back home.  Maybe it's just because of the similar names, I took the Karstarks as being close geographically to Winterfell, and maybe more likely just to side with whoever is there.  Rob didn't help matters by beheading Daddy Karstark either. They are on board with team Bolton.  I fully expect houses closer to the Wall (maybe that includes the Umbers) to fall in line with Jon as he marches south to whoop the #### out of Ramsey.  Also, one of the houses has to be hiding Rickon, so there have to be people that know a Stark is still alive and are still loyal to that family. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

As to #1,  I take the North as being vast as spread out.  For whatever reason, I assumed that they all spread out after the big battle and went back home.  Maybe it's just because of the similar names, I took the Karstarks as being close geographically to Winterfell, and maybe more likely just to side with whoever is there.  Rob didn't help matters by beheading Daddy Karstark either. They are on board with team Bolton.  I fully expect houses closer to the Wall (maybe that includes the Umbers) to fall in line with Jon as he marches south to whoop the #### out of Ramsey.  Also, one of the houses has to be hiding Rickon, so there have to be people that know a Stark is still alive and are still loyal to that family. 

 

The three Houses Ramsey mentions are the Karstarks, the Umbers, and the Manderleys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

So is Cersei, Tommen, and Jamie going to crush these fanatics already? I've been waiting patiently for Cersei to get her revenge. 

I don't think it will be very easy.  The Mountain killing that guy was to show his awesomeness, but I also read it as a way to show how people are talking about Cersei and the rulers.  The people are on board with the fanatics - Sparrow even hinted at that when he talked about how they came from nothing.  There can't be much love for the Lannisters in King's Landing, so while they technically still rule, any move on their part better be a damn smart one (when have we seen Cersei make a smart move?) or the city will fully turn on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

The three Houses Ramsey mentions are the Karstarks, the Umbers, and the Manderleys. 

And the Karstarks are on board with team Bolton. Are the Umbers and Manderleys? They way that he said it seemed to suggest that they already were. The Karstarks make sense because they would not love the Starks like the rest of the Northern houses due to the old Karstark getting beheaded but why the Umbers and Manderleys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chadstroma said:

And the Karstarks are on board with team Bolton. Are the Umbers and Manderleys? They way that he said it seemed to suggest that they already were. The Karstarks make sense because they would not love the Starks like the rest of the Northern houses due to the old Karstark getting beheaded but why the Umbers and Manderleys?

I don't believe the show has provided any information on that either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

As to #1,  I take the North as being vast as spread out.  For whatever reason, I assumed that they all spread out after the big battle and went back home.  Maybe it's just because of the similar names, I took the Karstarks as being close geographically to Winterfell, and maybe more likely just to side with whoever is there.  Rob didn't help matters by beheading Daddy Karstark either. They are on board with team Bolton.  I fully expect houses closer to the Wall (maybe that includes the Umbers) to fall in line with Jon as he marches south to whoop the #### out of Ramsey.  Also, one of the houses has to be hiding Rickon, so there have to be people that know a Stark is still alive and are still loyal to that family. 

 

I found this map showing the different houses in the North:
Map of North Westeros Houses

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

If Arya truly takes no name she will never reunite with her family which is sad

Not sure reunite is the right word.  I really hope they cross paths, and she helps take out somebody important.  Just because she has to let go of her list, doesn't mean she can't take out somebody on that list if she is asked to do so, or takes out somebody else - maybe Littlefinger?  Maybe she says something to them just before she disappears so they know it was her and she is OK - for example she helps out Jon and tells him to "stick them with the pointy end" (probably not remembering the line 100%). 

If she doesn't get back over to the action in Westeros, what is the point of her storyline?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chadstroma said:

Not sure they are an Army. How many are left at this point? They lost a lot attacking the Wall. They lost a whole bunch when the White Walkers attacked. The group in front of the wall waiting to come in looked more like hundreds than thousands. Sure, more than the 30 or 40 left of Nights Watch but I am not sure they amount to an Army now.

Am I wrong on that thinking?

You aren't wrong, but their army at one point dwarfed all of the armies south of the wall. Mance said it was 100,000. I don't think all of the wildings were in that one bay and many were just fisherman/living there. Remember the huge army that Snow saw? I don't think they are all gone now, even with the attack on the wall or the white walkers. I would say it is still a sizable army. I'd have to go back and look at when Jon came to the wall and Thorne let them pass through. Maybe there are still other wildings they could let through now?

At this point, it would be interesting to know how many wildings are left and how it compares to the northern armies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.