What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (7 Viewers)

For you tv only troglodytes, will you read books 6 & 7 should GRRM ever get around to writing them?
I intend to read them all at some point. I generally enjoy reading the book a movie or show is based on after watching it. The book adds additional details and allows me to revisit the story. When I do it the other way around (read the book first), I tend to be disappointed in the movie/show for the things that were left out. Movie/show first and book last seems to maximize my enjoyment of both. 

What did you think? 
It was a great show overall.  Very compelling and kept me coming back.  Dinklage was amazing.  The writing and acting made me connect with and care for or hate the characters.  But, I'm with the majority when it came to the last season.  There was so much potential, but it seemed rushed to wrap up the storylines.  I think the undead should have been the big bad at the end.  They should have overtaken the north.  Dani, Jon, and the rest should have been forced South and and the final battle should have Ben at King's Landing.  Alliances should have been tested more.

Jon's lineage should have been discussed/debated more in the end.  I didn't like the choice for king. I didn't think he was a strong enough presence throughout the series.  I wish they had written Tyrian accepting the crown.  Would have been a nice ironic twist to keep the Lannister family on the throne....or what's left of it.

It was a great show overall.  Very compelling and kept me coming back.  Dinklage was amazing.  The writing and acting made me connect with and care for or hate the characters.  But, I'm with the majority when it came to the last season.  There was so much potential, but it seemed rushed to wrap up the storylines.  I think the undead should have been the big bad at the end.  They should have overtaken the north.  Dani, Jon, and the rest should have been forced South and and the final battle should have Ben at King's Landing.  Alliances should have been tested more.

Jon's lineage should have been discussed/debated more in the end.  I didn't like the choice for king. I didn't think he was a strong enough presence throughout the series.  I wish they had written Tyrian accepting the crown.  Would have been a nice ironic twist to keep the Lannister family on the throne....or what's left of it.
I didn't like the choice of Bran either, but I do love the fact that House Stark collectively won the Game of Thrones, which, to me, was the ending that had to happen. 

I agree that some of the storylines felt rushed in the last season, but I still like it a lot overall and feel that the endless #####ing about it is way over the top.   It was a good final season to an otherwise tremendous show, IMO. 

I miss this show.  I'm trying to fill the void with Euphoria and, Years and Years.  But both aren't that great.  They have their moments and the world of Years and Years is entertaining.  But I'm already watching them just because I watched them.

We need another season of GOT.  It can just be small council meetings with Tyrion, Sam, Ser Brienne and Ser Bronn and Ser Davos.  I'm good with that.  Really.

That's easily 4 seasons of 10 episodes each.  They can be a half hour long even.  I might even be ok if they did it in a Starbucks instead of on set.

Something.

I miss this show.  I'm trying to fill the void with Euphoria and, Years and Years.  But both aren't that great.  They have their moments and the world of Years and Years is entertaining.  But I'm already watching them just because I watched them.

We need another season of GOT.  It can just be small council meetings with Tyrion, Sam, Ser Brienne and Ser Bronn and Ser Davos.  I'm good with that.  Really.

That's easily 4 seasons of 10 episodes each.  They can be a half hour long even.  I might even be ok if they did it in a Starbucks instead of on set.

Something.
I miss the show that should have had a great ending. After that final season, which still had promise a few episodes in, my desire to watch more of it are gone. Maybe the spinoffs can be solid but I'd have a hard time watching from the beginning knowing where it goes. 

Something.
Like stbugs mentioned, that last season really ruined things for me.  Perhaps one day I'll be ready for a rewatch, but right now that whole show is tainted.  If the new episodes you speak of are anything like the last season, hard pass.

I didn't like the choice of Bran either, but I do love the fact that House Stark collectively won the Game of Thrones, which, to me, was the ending that had to happen. 

I agree that some of the storylines felt rushed in the last season, but I still like it a lot overall and feel that the endless #####ing about it is way over the top.   It was a good final season to an otherwise tremendous show, IMO. 
The criticism is deserved. The last season was rushed. The rich storylines and conflicts were jump ended. You can say that the last season was OK but you have to compare it to the seasons before it which were really, really good (though season 7 started the downhill slope). It is important to stick the landing if you want to score a 10.

Its bizarre that they had more money and more time for the last season and produced an inferior product compared to previous seasons. It just seems that without Martin's detailed plot, dialogue and descriptions to assist they could not take their game to his level. But Martin is a master. 

These writers were left in a lurch when Martin went dry regarding Books 6 and 7. So I cut them some slack for that. But as a fan you have to be disappointed in the last two seasons, especially 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
These writers were left in a lurch when Martin went dry regarding Books 6 and 7. So I cut them some slack for that. But as a fan you have to be disappointed in the last two seasons, especially 8.
A thing I find particularly frustrating about that is that Martin was himself a t.v. show writer at one point. It's not like he's put out a ton of other stuff besides the fire and ice series. He couldn't have spent a little time helping the show writers out more on the last few seasons? Maybe it would have helped his book writing process into the bargain. Disappointing.

The criticism is deserved. The last season was rushed. The rich storylines and conflicts were jump ended. You can say that the last season was OK but you have to compare it to the seasons before it which were really, really good (though season 7 started the downhill slope). It is important to stick the landing if you want to score a 10.

Its bizarre that they had more money and more time for the last season and produced an inferior product compared to previous seasons. It just seems that without Martin's detailed plot, dialogue and descriptions to assist they could not take their game to his level. But Martin is a master. 

No, I do not have to be disappointed...because I wasn't; I wasn't blown away either.  

Even if the ending didn't totally stick to landing and not get the 10, that doesn't mean it was a 1, like many have suggested.  I know nowadays everything is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, but sometimes something can merely be "good," which is what I would call the last season of Game of Thrones. I have conceded to numerous glaring flaws, but I still enjoyed the heck out of it.  

No, I do not have to be disappointed...because I wasn't; I wasn't blown away either.  

Even if the ending didn't totally stick to landing and not get the 10, that doesn't mean it was a 1, like many have suggested.  I know nowadays everything is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, but sometimes something can merely be "good," which is what I would call the last season of Game of Thrones. I have conceded to numerous glaring flaws, but I still enjoyed the heck out of it.  
People around here were claiming that the show was a 1 because of the ending?

Yes. People saying they can’t watch previous great episodes because of the ending are just drama whores. 

People around here were claiming that the show was a 1 because of the ending?
Not in those exact words, but when you are describing the final seasons as awful, terrible, etc., it is hard for me to envision (the general) you giving it anything but the lowest score possible. 

Yes. People saying they can’t watch previous great episodes because of the ending are just drama whores. 
Pretty much, yeah. 

I didn't think people were saying that, I thought they were saying they would have trouble doing a series rewatch knowing where it was going to end up and how bad the series got.    Not the same thing.  

Well call me dramatic I guess. With how little payoff there was in Jon Snow’s lineage, the white walker invasion, and how they handled the demise of Cersei/Jaime and the poor execution with dany’s turn and bran being king, the previous awesome stories and episodes almost seem pointless. I would have rewatched the series front to back a few times like I did Breaking Bad had this been executed better. Maybe I will after reading the books once completed, but I have no desire to watch any GOT and I used to watch them all of the time if randomly on and certainly did rewatches prior to season 5. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Well call me dramatic I guess. With how little payoff there was in Jon Snow’s lineage, the white walker invasion, and how they handled the demise of Cersei/Jaime and the poor execution with dany’s turn and bran being king, the previous awesome stories and episodes almost seem pointless. I would have rewatched the series front to back a few times like I did Breaking Bad had this been executed better. Maybe I will after reading the books once completed, but I have no desire to watch any GOT and I used to watch them all of the time if randomly on and certainly did rewatches prior to season 5. 
I gotta say, I agree. I've watched TWD and Breaking Bad over and over, but have no desire to go back through this right now. That might change later, but right now, I'm over GoT for a while. 

It was real bad.

I didn't think people were saying that, I thought they were saying they would have trouble doing a series rewatch knowing where it was going to end up and how bad the series got.    Not the same thing.  
I have seen plenty of people they can't watch the early seasons anymore because of their dissatisfaction with the ending.  That is so dumb. 

It was real bad.
What an eloquent review. :lol:   :P  

I have seen plenty of people they can't watch the early seasons anymore because of their dissatisfaction with the ending.  That is so dumb. 
I guess in the sense of why start a rewatch if the back half goes downhill?  

I would watch S1-S4 again, but would probably stop there.  

Watched the series this summer. From start to finish, the show was great. Many things were said and done in the early seasons that were followed through on in the end. Not sure why people hate or are dissatisfied with the outcome. Haven't seen any legitimate complaints about events, characters, or whatever.

Not sure why people hate or are dissatisfied with the outcome. Haven't seen any legitimate complaints about events, characters, or whatever.
You haven't read this thread in the past few months?  People are pretty specific about why they didn't like the last couple seasons.  

What an eloquent review. :lol:   :P  
Many words have already been said. I don't think it would necessarily stop me from rewatching, but there's also a lot of other good tv out there i haven't seen. :shrug:

I guess in the sense of why start a rewatch if the back half goes downhill?  

I would watch S1-S4 again, but would probably stop there.  
Yep, I’m there. It’s not that I won’t ever rewatch it, but the last season is so fresh in our minds. I’m sure I’d still enjoy the whole thing even with the ending but I just don’t have the desire to tackle that amount of time yet. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
I think the white walkers were the worst finish to me after the full ending. I loved Arya’s progression to get her to that point and how she killed him and we actually had a couple people die (red witch and Beric) helping her, but as one of the YouTube links in here about alternate endings suggested, I would have rather seen that battle at the end. All of Dany’s troops just magically respawned and the actual battle to take King’s landing was awful from the golden company to the dragon being all powerful compared to the invisible fleet sniper to Dany ignoring Cersei to kill random people.

I know all the other critiques, but it felt like the white walkers were more of a red herring at the end and nothing like all the build up we saw start in the first episode. It made Hardhomme so cheap even though that was one of the best episodes of the show. I loved the white walker story but respawning all the red shirts to take King’s Landing just made that whole story line meaningless.

Watched the series this summer. From start to finish, the show was great. Many things were said and done in the early seasons that were followed through on in the end. Not sure why people hate or are dissatisfied with the outcome. Haven't seen any legitimate complaints about events, characters, or whatever.
Specifics.

Some of the answers I didn’t think were too bad and then...

“When we pitched HBO, we promised them that we would downplay the fantasy elements. (Paraphrase)

She is challenging the fact of how the Night King and the White Walkers and how it played out.”

WTF does that even mean?  You still had White Walkers and flying dragons. Downplaying is one thing, you didn’t flesh out the ending though?

also WTf is this about?

”They are expressing regret about putting the baby on the block of ice and him screaming. The mother was not happy bc Dan just kept talking about a close-up of the baby’s penis.”

😒

These are the comments that stick out for me:

The moderator asked why they chose to write all the episodes by themselves: “Because we didn’t know better.” David said HBO wanted them to hire other writers and they decided to have Bryan Cogman, their assistant, write four episodes.

Did you really sit down and try to boil the elements of the books down? Did you really try to understand it’s major elements.
No. We didn’t. The scope was too big. It was about the scenes we were trying to depict and the show was about power.

What was your process? We just started writing. But as things went on we had to outline. Divvied up scripts. They didn’t work together in the same room. One took first half, the other the last half, then they would swap. They gave episodes to Bryan Cogman and David Hill.

Dab is saying how much they loved the books, but they had to make it their own.
There were times I thought the writing was pretty good, but this does explain a lot. HBO should have made them use real writers from the beginning. 

Does anyone else get disappointed when the intro gives the TV-Mature rating factors but doesn’t mention nudity or adult situations?

Users who are viewing this thread