What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Anderson (1 Viewer)

For where he goes, he is a 'do not draft'. New coaching staff means there is no loyalty, no history of production or pedigree, he got hot last year for a good stretch of games. All it is going to take is some kind of setback along with something good from Ball or Hillman and this will be rbbc. I would let somebody else deal with that risk while I take Dez or Julio.

Per the local beat reporters he was also sick before the game and decided to play anyways. After he got lit up and rolled his ankle no reason for him to come back in. Hopefully its not of the high variety but he twisted it pretty good from what i saw.
In his post game presser Kubiak said he could have come back in. No injury at all.

Rotoworld:

C.J. Anderson - RB - Broncos

C.J. Anderson confirmed his ankle injury suffered in Denver's preseason opener isn't significant.

Those covering the team are calling Anderson's ankle injury a mere "tweak." Said Anderson himself, "My ankle's fine. It's more I was sick. I didn't start feeling good until halftime." Anderson rushed three times before giving way to Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman. He was dealing with a case of the flu. Anderson remains in the driver's seat to be Denver's every-down back.

Source: 9 News Denver

Aug 15 - 3:45 PM

wtf, not enough overreaction fear in this thread yet... lets see what happens if hillman starts to take 1st team reps with CJ :)

I'm of the opinion CJ will not be the starter by week 6. Hillman will see the field allot. Anderson feasted on horrible defenses last season while Hillman did as good playing Seattle Arizona 49ers.

Cj Anderson is an average back and won't hold this job.. That's just my opinion but I'm confident in it.

Is it just me, or does it feel like the people expecting his demise have an ulterior motive here? I think too many folks have invested in the wrong back here and are really hoping he fails.

Is it just me, or does it feel like the people expecting his demise have an ulterior motive here? I think too many folks have invested in the wrong back here and are really hoping he fails.
It's not just you.
I agree with the above two posters.
New here?

There's more than a few folks who aren't as much down on CJ as convinced that the other RBs on the roster have been written off too quickly. Believing that Ball and Hillman are too talented to allow CJ to dominate the touches all season is enough to have serious doubts about CJ's current ADP. Ball had everything go wrong last spring and summer and tried to play hurt and Hillman brings a nice COP.

There's more than a few folks who aren't as much down on CJ as convinced that the other RBs on the roster have been written off too quickly. Believing that Ball and Hillman are too talented to allow CJ to dominate the touches all season is enough to have serious doubts about CJ's current ADP. Ball had everything go wrong last spring and summer and tried to play hurt and Hillman brings a nice COP.
Additionally, there are legitimate questions about the Denver O-line this year and there is a long history of relatively unproven RBs who are hyped in the summer and then bust pretty badly as early round picks.

I happen to be pretty high on Anderson but definitely can see the risk and understand why some are more comfortable with other players at his ADP/price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cecil Lammey, at the Denver practices day in and day out, says CJ is clearly Denver's best back and that he has looked very good this off-season. He is their best pass blocker and he doesn't have some of the conditioning issues/fat he was criticized for in earlier years. Denver's pass blocking is a concern but their run blocking is fine.

But if you all want to look for reasons for why Hillman or Ball are going to take over the job, by all means feel free.

I didnt like Ball coming into the NFL, and that opinion was reinforced seeing him play in the NFL.

Hillman is a decent player, but not the lead back type IMO.

Cj Anderson is clearly better than both of them, and his game is suited to be a starting RB in the NFL. I don't see any weaknesses, and he can obviously handle a lot of touches.

However, do I think Cj will bust out some enormous season at the same rate as he was last year?? No, of course not. Just like I don't think guys like Beckham or Hill will do what they did over the course of 16 games either.

That doesnt mean they wont be worth drafting at their ADPs though.

Cecil Lammey, at the Denver practices day in and day out, says CJ is clearly Denver's best back and that he has looked very good this off-season. He is their best pass blocker and he doesn't have some of the conditioning issues/fat he was criticized for in earlier years. Denver's pass blocking is a concern but their run blocking is fine.

But if you all want to look for reasons for why Hillman or Ball are going to take over the job, by all means feel free.
Lammey has been dead wrong about Bronco rbs and the direction that management went in the past.

But in this case I agree with him on CJ.

Lammey's expertise at judging DEN RBs, among many others things NFL, has not exactly been laudable.

Lammey's expertise at judging DEN RBs, among many others things NFL, has not exactly been laudable.
I think you meant to say "our very own Cecil Lammey's"...

ghostguy123 said:
However, do I think Cj will bust out some enormous season at the same rate as he was last year?? No, of course not. Just like I don't think guys like Beckham or Hill will do what they did over the course of 16 games either.

That doesnt mean they wont be worth drafting at their ADPs though.
:goodposting:

Billy Ball Thorton said:
I'm of the opinion CJ will not be the starter by week 6. Hillman will see the field allot. Anderson feasted on horrible defenses last season while Hillman did as good playing Seattle Arizona 49ers.

Cj Anderson is an average back and won't hold this job.. That's just my opinion but I'm confident in it.
biju said:
Sabertooth said:
No kidding. The problem is, nobody knows what's going to happen.
which is exactly why he's either a good value or going to ruin your draft.

I want three things with my RB1

1. Clearly, undeniably the starter. Barring injury (or legal issues), it's incredibly unlikely that Lynch, Charles, Bell, Lacy, AD, Forte, etc would be benched.

2. The backup is a known commodity, or at least we think we know who would step in.

3. A decent track record. At least a 1,000 yard season under his belt.

CJA lacks all three.

That anyone can take in all the information available on this situation and come out of it saying "no one knows what will happen" is kinda strange.

Anderson's the starter and he's going to get a ton of work unless he gets injured.

That anyone can take in all the information available on this situation and come out of it saying "no one knows what will happen" is kinda strange.

Anderson's the starter and he's going to get a ton of work unless he gets injured.
Yeah, because the RB situation has always been crystal clear when Kubiak was HC in HOU and OC in DEN.

Yeah, because the RB situation has always been crystal clear when Kubiak was HC in HOU and OC in DEN.
Wasn't it? I mean ... pretty much once a starter was named? Or were you not being facetious there?

Terrell Davis

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

Steve Slaton

Arian Foster

Justin Forsett

1. Clearly, undeniably the starter. Barring injury (or legal issues), it's incredibly unlikely that Lynch, Charles, Bell, Lacy, AD, Forte, etc would be benched.

2. The backup is a known commodity, or at least we think we know who would step in.

CJA lacks all three.
  1. I WANT THOSE 3 THINGS TOO... BUT you list only 6 rb's, and most of those 6 i think everyone would rank higher than CJ.
  2. from a distance and based on play last year i personally think denver would be foolish playing ball over hillman should CJ go down. hillman showed last year he can produce. if you end up taking CJ i'd be targetting hillman late in the draft. again, very few RB's have clear backups who we know would handle the load should #1 go down
  3. he almost had 1000 yards in 8 games last year
using your criteria last pre-season leveon bell would have failed the test on #2 and #3.

All of those guys except Bell and Lacy are 28+ so there's some age-related risk with them than CJA doesn't have.

CJA lacks all three.
  1. I WANT THOSE 3 THINGS TOO... BUT you list only 6 rb's, and most of those 6 i think everyone would rank higher than CJ.
  2. from a distance and based on play last year i personally think denver would be foolish playing ball over hillman should CJ go down. hillman showed last year he can produce. if you end up taking CJ i'd be targetting hillman late in the draft. again, very few RB's have clear backups who we know would handle the load should #1 go down
  3. he almost had 1000 yards in 8 games last year
using your criteria last pre-season leveon bell would have failed the test on #2 and #3.
Bell didn't have an ADP of 1.11

Wasn't it? I mean ... pretty much once a starter was named? Or were you not being facetious there?Terrell Davis

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

Steve Slaton

Arian Foster

Justin Forsett
And how many of those guys became the starter after beginning the camp looking at someone else listed above them on the depth chart?

Kubiak plays the guy who fits his system most effectively. He has no bones about switching the depth chart when he finds that guy.

CJA lacks all three.
  • I WANT THOSE 3 THINGS TOO... BUT you list only 6 rb's, and most of those 6 i think everyone would rank higher than CJ.
  • from a distance and based on play last year i personally think denver would be foolish playing ball over hillman should CJ go down. hillman showed last year he can produce. if you end up taking CJ i'd be targetting hillman late in the draft. again, very few RB's have clear backups who we know would handle the load should #1 go down
  • he almost had 1000 yards in 8 games last year
Sure, I'll miss out on some guys. But that's what I'm looking for, there comes a point where you can't find those guys and you settle. But that's not in the first round.

Bronco Billy said:

Wasn't it? I mean ... pretty much once a starter was named? Or were you not being facetious there?Terrell Davis

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

Steve Slaton

Arian Foster

Justin Forsett
And how many of those guys became the starter after beginning the camp looking at someone else listed above them on the depth chart?

Kubiak plays the guy who fits his system most effectively. He has no bones about switching the depth chart when he finds that guy.
I guess I'm not getting your point. Has Kubiak said anything to lead anyone to believe this is not CJ Anderson's job? Of course he will change the depth chart if he thinks someone else can produce better results. I don't know of a head coach at any level that WON'T do that.

According to Lammey, Anderson was the best back in Denver as far back as training camp 2014. So why didn't he get a chance to prove that until the end of the season? John Fox. Dude has always had the weirdest take on a running back depth chart that I've ever seen.

I doubt Kubiak makes the same mistake. Actually, he prefers a bell cow that he can ride hard.

C.J. Anderson is the cheapest RB available that has a legitimate shot to finish the season as the #1 player at the position.

I guess I'm not getting your point.
Yes. I know. The point is, that given Kubiak's history any RB on top of the depth chart at this point in the preseason is no lock to be his bellcow in the regular season. You know what got Terrell Davis his break? A huge hit on special teams in a preseason week 3 game. Until then he was just running with the pack at RB. Portis is the closest thing on that list to being a known quantity as a starting RB and it took a few weeks into the regular season before he actually took over the job.

So again, the point that I believe you are choosing to miss is that at this point the situation is still fluid, there is not a wide gap between Anderson and other RBs on the roster - most notably Ball and Hillman - and there is still a very real risk that Anderson does not come out as DEN's lead back this year, or if he does how long it will last.

Yes. I know.The point is, that given Kubiak's history any RB on top of the depth chart at this point in the preseason is no lock to be his bellcow in the regular season. You know what got Terrell Davis his break? A huge hit on special teams in a preseason week 3 game. Until then he was just running with the pack at RB. Portis is the closest thing on that list to being a known quantity as a starting RB and it took a few weeks into the regular season before he actually took over the job.

So again, the point that I believe you are choosing to miss is that at this point the situation is still fluid, there is not a wide gap between Anderson and other RBs on the roster - most notably Ball and Hillman - and there is still a very real risk that Anderson does not come out as DEN's lead back this year, or if he does how long it will last.

OK ... Let me rephrase that. I got your point. I just don't think it's a good one. I was trying not to be rude. But then your response reminded me that was an unnecessary effort on this board.

When there has been uncertainty in the depth chart and a clear cut starter hasn't emerged Kubiak has always had open competitions. Just like any head coach. When there is a clear cut starter that has performed, he hasn't changed things up.

1995 - Terrell Davis took over the starting job from ....... Leonard Russell???? 620yds the previous year????

I would hardly call that Kubiak being unwilling to commit to a back or tough to read. He had shat at the running back position and waited for someone to emerge. Davis emerged and took the job.

Last I checked, CJ has already solidified the starting spot.

1. He was the #2 fantasy back in the league over the 2nd half of the 2014 season.

2. Kubiak has named him the off-season starter.

3. Peyton Manning has endorsed CJ as the starter.

4. CJ is the best back they have in pass pro.

5. He came into camp in great shape.

6. According to people on this board and reporters at camp, he has easily outperformed all backs in OTA's and camp to this point.

I'm not sure who is going to take his job.

Montee Ball? Another Wisconsin RB that was drafted too high due to the fact that he ran behind one of the best OL's in college football?

Hillman? In my mind, this is the guy that has the best shot at unseating CJ but I just don't see him as a feature back and Kubiak has shown in the past and publicly stated as much that he likes to use a feature back.

Yes. I know.The point is, that given Kubiak's history any RB on top of the depth chart at this point in the preseason is no lock to be his bellcow in the regular season. You know what got Terrell Davis his break? A huge hit on special teams in a preseason week 3 game. Until then he was just running with the pack at RB. Portis is the closest thing on that list to being a known quantity as a starting RB and it took a few weeks into the regular season before he actually took over the job.

Generally speaking in the Droughsn, Gary, Anderson years in Denver the team never told anyone outside of the organization who they had pegged as the starter and on the few occasions where they did seem to be clear about it an injury is what allowed another player to step into the role. It was incredibly frustrating.

Kubiak has been pretty clear this offseason that it's Anderson's job. Of course that doesn't preclude an injury but it seems pretty clear by usage and statements out of the organizaiton that it is Anderson's job.

Barring a reach CJ is going to be one of the first true decision points in fantasy drafts I think many people are going to be flipping a coin between him and Jeremy Hill (excluding other positions) but I don't see Lynch, Charles, Bell, Lacy, AD or Forte being there when most of us have to make a decision on CJ.

Bronco Billy said:

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

Steve Slaton

Arian Foster

Justin Forsett

Davis, Portis & Foster all had multiple seasons as the unquestioned #1 RB with Kubs. Gary & Slaton each had one season where they were the unquestioned starter going into the season but were injured.

How many of them got to start because Kubiak/Shanahan pulled the starter due to ineffectiveness (not injury)?

1) how likely is he to get seriously injured?

2) How injured would Anderson have to be for ball or hillman to get in the game?

3) Knowing that, how much more likely is Anderson to try to play hurt and either aggravate an injury or be less effective?

4) how long a leash will Anderson be given if he doesn't start the season well?

5) Can Anderson handle a full season of carries when a former coach said his conditioning was sub par and he started to wear down in even half a season of work?

6) If he misses any time, and his backup plays well, how loyal will they be when he comes back healthy?

7) Can ball or hillman play well enough in practice or spot duty to overtake him?

8) is there a clear backup? And if so. how expensive is his backup if you want to insure your investment?

Now run that same last of questions for Jamaal Charles or Eddie lacy, and it's easy to see why Charles and lacy are getting drafted earlier than Anderson. But he's moved up close enough that I think it's a bad full season risk. There are a bunch of backs with his ceiling, and a lot of receivers with a higher floor. I'd take a shot on him at the end of the stud tier, but pass on him easily towards the start.

Bronco Billy said:

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

Steve Slaton

Arian Foster

Justin Forsett
And how many of those guys became the starter after beginning the camp looking at someone else listed above them on the depth chart?Kubiak plays the guy who fits his system most effectively. He has no bones about switching the depth chart when he finds that guy.
Davis, Portis & Foster all had multiple seasons as the unquestioned #1 RB with Kubs. Gary & Slaton each had one season where they were the unquestioned starter going into the season but were injured.How many of them got to start because Kubiak/Shanahan pulled the starter due to ineffectiveness (not injury)?
How quickly people forget FBGs climbing all over themselves to roster Quentin Griffin or Tatum Bell. Sure, it's easy when the guy has had a season proving himself to be a stud and a perfect fit for the offense like TD, Portis, and Foster did. But apparently it has been forgotten that for each of those studs, not one of them, when they went into the season that they broke out and grabbed the job as the #1 RB, was the starter going into the preseason.

I want to be clear. I am not arguing that Anderson will not be the guy. He very well could be. I'm saying that given Kubiak's history with RBs and also that Anderson has never played in a Kubiak offense until now, that there is a possibility that he is not the guy, and that one of the other backs could grab the job. That risk is not insignificant.

How quickly people forget FBGs climbing all over themselves to roster Quentin Griffin or Tatum Bell. Sure, it's easy when the guy has had a season proving himself to be a stud and a perfect fit for the offense like TD, Portis, and Foster did. But apparently it has been forgotten that for each of those studs, not one of them, when they went into the season that they broke out and grabbed the job as the #1 RB, was the starter going into the preseason.
Right ... and the same thing happened with Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman, and CJ Anderson last year. They were all a muddled mess until week 10 and then CJ "broke out". Just like TD and Portis and Foster. So take that break out season and couple it with the HC and starting QB/OC telling everyone he's there guy and you have a scenario more in line with the 2nd year of the backs you mentioned.

I want to be clear. I am not arguing that Anderson will not be the guy. He very well could be. I'm saying that given Kubiak's history with RBs and also that Anderson has never played in a Kubiak offense until now, that there is a possibility that he is not the guy, and that one of the other backs could grab the job. That risk is not insignificant.
Agreed. There is always a risk of that with just about anyone ... especially when a new HC/OC comes in. However, I believe that risk is already baked into his ADP. Otherwise why would a RB that averaged the 2nd most fanasy points in the league when starting be taken in the bottom of the first round?

Bronco Billy said:

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

Steve Slaton

Arian Foster

Justin Forsett
And how many of those guys became the starter after beginning the camp looking at someone else listed above them on the depth chart?Kubiak plays the guy who fits his system most effectively. He has no bones about switching the depth chart when he finds that guy.
Davis, Portis & Foster all had multiple seasons as the unquestioned #1 RB with Kubs. Gary & Slaton each had one season where they were the unquestioned starter going into the season but were injured.How many of them got to start because Kubiak/Shanahan pulled the starter due to ineffectiveness (not injury)?
Haven't forgotten that at all, but we're talking about Kubiak here not Shanahan. It went pretty clearly from Davis to Gary to Portis to Anderson then Kubs left for Houston in 2006. Sure some people thought Quentin Griffin was going to be the guy in 2004 so I will concede some confusion there at the beginning of the season and many people foolishly chose to discount Anderson in 2005 (based on age and a shiny new rookie I imagine).

It took Kubs two seasons to find a running game in Houston and Slaton went into his second season as the unquestioned starter but injury derailed him in 2009.

Then Foster put a hammerlock on the job in 2010 (although everyone thought it was going to be Derrick Ward) and never looked back.

I don't think it is fair to cast situations where there wasn't a legitimate player on the roster (Dayne, Lundy, Moats or a 137 year old Ahman Green) as some kind of shenanigans. It seems that every time Kubiak has had a guy he likes he has stated it clearly and gone with that guy. The only time in his career where it looked one way but went another were 2010 with Ward/Foster and maybe 2004 with Q/Anderson. I put 2005 on fantasy owners being focused on the shiny rookie over the guy who just put up a huge year in 2004.

Kubs has called C.J. his starter, there is no reason for any of us to think that will change during the season.

Absolutely agree that the possibility exists. But everyone should view Anderson as the unquestioned starter for a Gary Kubiak offense with Peyton Manning as his QB and draft accordingly. He may not pay off but that is a risk we run, even with proven players in their prime (e.g. Emmitt Smith & Curtis Martin in 1997).

CJ is an average talent with no pedigree. Save me the Arian Foster as he's not close to him. He needs to stay healthy and pass protect well which I hear he has been. You will see allot of Hillman on 3rd downs.

He just nothing to get excited about and not entrenched as the firm starter.

If a guy like Lynch goes down it's his job when he's healthy, CJ goes down and he may never get the job back, this is my point. He's the starter as long as he does everything good and stays healthy. Thin ice for the investment at his adp and one I'm not comfortable with.

CJ is an average talent with no pedigree. Save me the Arian Foster as he's not close to him. He needs to stay healthy and pass protect well which I hear he has been. You will see allot of Hillman on 3rd downs.

He just nothing to get excited about and not entrenched as the firm starter.

If a guy like Lynch goes down it's his job when he's healthy, CJ goes down and he may never get the job back, this is my point. He's the starter as long as he does everything good and stays healthy. Thin ice for the investment at his adp and one I'm not comfortable with.
I would agree that he's not Arian Foster but I would also point out that he's miles ahead of Montee Ball and a better feature back than Hillman. The one thing Kubiak has repeatedly shown is that he leans on a bellcow back for the vast majority of the work on all 3 downs. I would think the chances are better that CJ sees more 3rd down action than Hillman. I think Hillman will be 2nd in line for workload for sure, but I don't think it will eat into CJ's touches much.

Users who are viewing this thread