What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (4 Viewers)

Anybody rolling the dice with him this week?

Cousins was slinging it around before the bye. NE should jump out to a big lead. Trying to talk myself into it.

Honestly, when an older player is out for an extended period with an injury I need a one week "prove it to me" performance before I drop him back in if I have decent options outside of him. (R. Matthews in my case). It's probably from being a R. White owner for too long. Thankfully, I was able to beat that habit.

I am not trying to turn this into a WDIS thread, but there are probably "safer" options. Could he have a great week? Sure. But, as I said, I need to see something first.

Anybody rolling the dice with him this week?

Cousins was slinging it around before the bye. NE should jump out to a big lead. Trying to talk myself into it.
Larry on a bye, Wright injured, and Moncrief against the Broncos blanket. Sending DeSean out there and hoping for something.

Likely not starting him this week. I just picked him up off of waivers (surprised he was there). I have Julio, Odell, Cooks and Crabtree (flex), so not comfortable starting him his first week since Cooks and Crabtree have been pretty solid lately. I'll definitely use him with Julio, Cooks and Odell on byes the next couple weeks and maybe start him thereafter if he looks good.

Toying with making him my #1 waiver claim since everyone else will be going for this week's injury replacement RBs. I would probably start him as WR3 (non PPR) right away. He can have a good game off 2-3 catches if he can go full speed.

Honestly, when an older player is out for an extended period with an injury I need a one week "prove it to me" performance before I drop him back in if I have decent options outside of him. (R. Matthews in my case). It's probably from being a R. White owner for too long. Thankfully, I was able to beat that habit.

I am not trying to turn this into a WDIS thread, but there are probably "safer" options. Could he have a great week? Sure. But, as I said, I need to see something first.
I'd agree but with bye weeks, if he's healthy I'm starting him in a redraft and might also start him over a kicker (flex).

Not this week. Taking a wait-and-see approach with DeSean. Starting Rishard Matthews with Antonio Brown and Brandin Cooks. Matthews had 113 yards and 2 TDs earlier this season against Buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great matchup this week, but it feels like a trap. But if they want to "get him rolling again", this seems like the week to start.

Rotoworld:

Coach Jay Gruden said he hopes to get DeSean Jackson more involved in the offense moving forward.

"The problem is he wasn’t here in OTAs, he missed a lot of camp and he missed the first [seven] games, so to have the cohesiveness with the quarterback right out of the chute would probably be a little bit wishful thinking," Gruden said. "But hopefully next week, we’ll see more balls flying his way and he can go get them." Jackson was stuck on one catch deep into the game against the Patriots, and he was targeted downfield just once. Jackson did not have his patented speed against New England, and he may not be a good fit in what has become a dink-and-dunk offense. Jackson has the upside to use next week against the Saints' terrible secondary, but he has a scary floor.

Source: Washington Post

Nov 10 - 8:48 AM

Couple nice deep TD's two weeks in a row. Looks like he's getting his swagger back. Time to take notice?

That week 16 matchup with the Eagles looks especially juicy if we can get there.

Couple nice deep TD's two weeks in a row. Looks like he's getting his swagger back. Time to take notice?
I've been starting him as my WR4 and have been very pleased the last two games. Would love to see more targets to raise his floor but he looks healthy and his deep speed is back so the big-play potential is very much alive and well. He can run past anyone in the league when he's healthy.

That week 16 matchup with the Eagles looks especially juicy if we can get there.
Three weeks in a row and counting.

Can we trust him now that it's playoff time?

Three weeks in a row and counting.

Can we trust him now that it's playoff time?
I'm starting him. TDs in three straight games but what I liked most about Monday night other than the TD was how he was being heavily targeted. He wasn't a boom or bust deep threat. Instead he was being used as a key part of their offense. I don't see why that would change and as long as that remains the case his floor goes up which lowers his risk. The upside remains very high due to his big-play potential.

I don't even care about the whole "revenge" stuff. DJax is rolling right now and Philly's pass D stinks. As long as Cousins delivers this should be a fun Saturday night for DJax owners.

Eagles will be starting EJ Biggers and Jaylen Watkins at CB this week. If you don't start Desean this week, you never will.

Pulled him off of the bench this past week as the ultimate boom-bust after my opponent started off strong on Saturday. Hopefully he does it again this weekend. I'm counting on it.

TDs in four of the past five games. The only game he didn't score he averaged 21.5 YPC which indicates he wasn't being used enough. I'm not sure where he ranks in terms of scoring in that stretch but he's locked in as a WR2 with WR1 upside, especially given the matchup this week.

Washington failed to punch it in after having 1st-and-goal from the half-yard line. The included Alfred Morris cutting left into a scrum of three Packers instead of cutting right, directly into the end zone. It also featured Kirk Cousins getting a delay of game penalty on the one, on a play before which Jay Gruden was running down the sidelines trying to call timeout.
That was the real problem, not Jackson holding the ball in the hand away from the defender. That, and getting outscored 38-7 after that drive.

I know you love to hate on Jackson but the Redskins lost yesterday because their defense was bad, and their offense scored 7 points in the last 3 quarters.

fatness said:
Washington failed to punch it in after having 1st-and-goal from the half-yard line. The included Alfred Morris cutting left into a scrum of three Packers instead of cutting right, directly into the end zone. It also featured Kirk Cousins getting a delay of game penalty on the one, on a play before which Jay Gruden was running down the sidelines trying to call timeout.
That was the real problem, not Jackson holding the ball in the hand away from the defender. That, and getting outscored 38-7 after that drive.

I know you love to hate on Jackson but the Redskins lost yesterday because their defense was bad, and their offense scored 7 points in the last 3 quarters.
Just having fun with his quote from last week....typical Desean. Agreed though, you have to punch that in. Had some serious momentum going there.

fatness said:

Just having fun with his quote from last week....typical Desean. Agreed though, you have to punch that in. Had some serious momentum going there.
Divided on whether it's worth to keep Desean or not. Let's face it, he was a significant reason the Redskins made it to the postseason and the team that let him go -- the Eagles -- did not make it to the playoffs and in fact collapsed so badly that the coach that got rid of Desean was fired.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that he does do crap like this routinely, and also he get injured too often. I think honestly if the Redskins could find another credible option to stretch the field, they might have to think about it.

But, I think I may differ from some Eagles fans in that he does great stuff to help you and then terrible stuff to hurt you. It would be one thing if after getting rid of all his "trouble players" Kelly had built a Super Bowl winner, but the result was he didn't even make the playoffs. So, I think the situation with Desean is more nuanced than a lot of folks want to realize.

In the end, I would rather have a guy who could stretch the field AND not be a bonehead. If they could find, that, then I think maybe they should move on. But if not, I don't think they should be so rash as to just jettison him without another option cause we have seen clearly that's not a great solution either.

Also, main reason Redskins lost was terrible defense. In the second half we had the lead but the defense just allowed GB to run it down their throats. That's truly what the team needs to focus on in the offseason.

fatness said:

Divided on whether it's worth to keep Desean or not. Let's face it, he was a significant reason the Redskins made it to the postseason and the team that let him go -- the Eagles -- did not make it to the playoffs and in fact collapsed so badly that the coach that got rid of Desean was fired.On the other hand, there is no doubt that he does do crap like this routinely, and also he get injured too often. I think honestly if the Redskins could find another credible option to stretch the field, they might have to think about it.

But, I think I may differ from some Eagles fans in that he does great stuff to help you and then terrible stuff to hurt you. It would be one thing if after getting rid of all his "trouble players" Kelly had built a Super Bowl winner, but the result was he didn't even make the playoffs. So, I think the situation with Desean is more nuanced than a lot of folks want to realize.

In the end, I would rather have a guy who could stretch the field AND not be a bonehead. If they could find, that, then I think maybe they should move on. But if not, I don't think they should be so rash as to just jettison him without another option cause we have seen clearly that's not a great solution either.
Yeah you are overvaluing him and his 500 yard season a bit but that always happens so I won't debate it.

Also your facts are off as when DeSean was cut the Eagles won 10 games and Maclin exceeded his production. As much as you want it to be otherwise the facts don't support it. Maclin on the other hand was a brutal mistake in hindsight, don't think any Eagles fan can argue that.

fatness said:

Divided on whether it's worth to keep Desean or not. Let's face it, he was a significant reason the Redskins made it to the postseason and the team that let him go -- the Eagles -- did not make it to the playoffs and in fact collapsed so badly that the coach that got rid of Desean was fired.On the other hand, there is no doubt that he does do crap like this routinely, and also he get injured too often. I think honestly if the Redskins could find another credible option to stretch the field, they might have to think about it.

Yeah you are overvaluing him and his 500 yard season a bit but that always happens so I won't debate it.

Also your facts are off as when DeSean was cut the Eagles won 10 games and Maclin exceeded his production. As much as you want it to be otherwise the facts don't support it. Maclin on the other hand was a brutal mistake in hindsight, don't think any Eagles fan can argue that.
Not sure how I am overvaluing him by saying if we had another option, let him walk. lol. That's not exactly groveling over him. This is just tired old narrative IMO.

The other thing I said is he was a part of the Redskins making the playoffs. How anyone can consider that overvaluing is just beyond me; in fact it's ludicrous. Cousins numbers once Jackson and Reed got healthy really took a surge. It's well established that Jackson stretched the field for the Redskins and helped their passing game. That is a pretty moderate compliment of Jackson: "he helped us make the playoffs." It's not like I said, "He's the best WR in football."

It's like you are fighting a windmill here; you are creating a narrative that I'm saying he's HOF when I'm just saying, "he helped the Redskins win." And yeah, there is no point in debating that, because it's pretty much a fact.

In terms of the impact of Jackson's departure on the Eagles, that is something that certainly can be debated. I just find it amusing that Philly fans are so hopped up to say "I told you so!" when you all just fired your coach and Jackson's team was the one that sent you all packing this year. It just seems that you try really really really hard to justify his being sent away from Philly. No one's saying he's a HOFer or anything...just that he helped us win the division. Basically that's a fact. Sorry.

I always thought the Eagles needed DJAX more than DJAX needed them and they made a mistake by releasing him in terms of they had no one who could replace him and allow the Eagles to do the things they were doing. Having the speed of Vick, Shady, and DJAX at the same (brief) time really put a lot of stress on the defense and they never got that back or changed things up to do something new.

With that being said, DJAX is not a guy I want on the teams I root for because he is often injured and he often seems to not play with a sense of urgency and I have a hard time not thinking those two things go hand in hand in terms of thinking when he is injured he could be working harder to get back on the field, could work harder to stay in good shape and maybe avoid some injuries, and could feel more compelled to return as quickly as possible.

The play yesterday was such an example of everything I don't like about him. He just has the appearance as if he is coasting and not giving it his all or he's trying to score on style points (casually just strolling in, in a very "look at me" fashion). There are a lot of players that run with urgency and would diving into the endzone like a hobo jumping on a hotdog...like they've never scored a TD in their life. But DJAX always seems to like to slow down at the endzone and go lateral for a second, etc. I think he has done this at least 3-4 times and its cost him. In my opinion, he simply doesn't play with that sense of urgency that makes a difference in a game of inches.

I always thought the Eagles needed DJAX more than DJAX needed them and they made a mistake by releasing him in terms of they had no one who could replace him and allow the Eagles to do the things they were doing. Having the speed of Vick, Shady, and DJAX at the same (brief) time really put a lot of stress on the defense and they never got that back or changed things up to do something new.

With that being said, DJAX is not a guy I want on the teams I root for because he is often injured and he often seems to not play with a sense of urgency and I have a hard time not thinking those two things go hand in hand in terms of thinking when he is injured he could be working harder to get back on the field, could work harder to stay in good shape and maybe avoid some injuries, and could feel more compelled to return as quickly as possible.

The play yesterday was such an example of everything I don't like about him. He just has the appearance as if he is coasting and not giving it his all or he's trying to score on style points (casually just strolling in, in a very "look at me" fashion). There are a lot of players that run with urgency and would diving into the endzone like a hobo jumping on a hotdog...like they've never scored a TD in their life. But DJAX always seems to like to slow down at the endzone and go lateral for a second, etc. I think he has done this at least 3-4 times and its cost him. In my opinion, he simply doesn't play with that sense of urgency that makes a difference in a game of inches.
Actually, Jeremy Maclin filled in very nicely for Jackson:

Jackson 2013: 82 receptions, 1,332 yards, 9 TD's

Maclin 2014: 85 receptions, 1,318 yards, 10 TD's

Maclin had missed all of 2013 with an ACL injury.

The mistake was letting Maclin go last summer and using your 1st round pick on a receiver who caught 23 passes in 2015. If they keep Maclin, they probably draft Oline in the first round, and the offense would probably have been better which could have led to one or two more wins and possibly a division title.

fatness said:

Yeah you are overvaluing him and his 500 yard season a bit but that always happens so I won't debate it.Also your facts are off as when DeSean was cut the Eagles won 10 games and Maclin exceeded his production. As much as you want it to be otherwise the facts don't support it. Maclin on the other hand was a brutal mistake in hindsight, don't think any Eagles fan can argue that.
Not sure how I am overvaluing him by saying if we had another option, let him walk. lol. That's not exactly groveling over him. This is just tired old narrative IMO. The other thing I said is he was a part of the Redskins making the playoffs. How anyone can consider that overvaluing is just beyond me; in fact it's ludicrous. Cousins numbers once Jackson and Reed got healthy really took a surge. It's well established that Jackson stretched the field for the Redskins and helped their passing game. That is a pretty moderate compliment of Jackson: "he helped us make the playoffs." It's not like I said, "He's the best WR in football."

It's like you are fighting a windmill here; you are creating a narrative that I'm saying he's HOF when I'm just saying, "he helped the Redskins win." And yeah, there is no point in debating that, because it's pretty much a fact.

In terms of the impact of Jackson's departure on the Eagles, that is something that certainly can be debated. I just find it amusing that Philly fans are so hopped up to say "I told you so!" when you all just fired your coach and Jackson's team was the one that sent you all packing this year. It just seems that you try really really really hard to justify his being sent away from Philly. No one's saying he's a HOFer or anything...just that he helped us win the division. Basically that's a fact. Sorry.
You are wasting your breath. He either doesn't read or can't comprehend the your point that has been made over and over and over to him.

Love how defensive you girls get after the weeks he costs you a game. This is like the showboat punt return fumble week all over again. :D

The numbers don't support your narrative, that's all. You can say your punter helped you make the playoffs as well....I'm sure there was a nice kick in there somewhere. Cousins to Reed is the difference, not MeSean who played a full season last year when you won 4 games. Now he has a 30 catch season and he is the difference?

The mistake was letting Maclin go last summer and using your 1st round pick on a receiver who caught 23 passes in 2015. If they keep Maclin, they probably draft Oline in the first round, and the offense would probably have been better which could have led to one or two more wins and possibly a division title.
By stat line, you can say he replaced him but that's not the entire story. THE thing that made the Eagles go with Chip when they were good was the speed from DJAX/Vick/Shady and how they stretched that defense. In particular, that bootleg route where they ran option of Vick and Shady one direction and crossed DJAX coming back the other direction or streaking deep the other side. That package of plays was gold mine money for them and teams could not deal with it.

It was that belief that anyone is replaceable that was the Eagles and Chips' downfall because DJAX has something in the speed category you can't replace. Shady was not truly replaceable because he is very unique also but I understand people talk of "replace" in different terms (financially, styles, etc).

Boild it down any way we want, the bottom line was regardless of all the "if they did this with Maclin, they would have done that.." stuff, the fact is they made terrible, terrible decisions. Keep Maclin and maybe they do 10 different things. Doesn't matter. THey didn't. Traded Shady and got a false sense of security with Alonso. Didn't pan out. Replaced him with two other RBs and completely and utterly misused Murray.

All these things are conjecture to a large degree but their cardinal sin was they replaced DJAX and Shady and failed to recognize the extremely unique attributes those two brought to the table that made everything work and they couldn't replace it.

I might get a dozen replies to this post and all of them saying "nuh uh, it's like this" but those are just, like mine, opinions while the facts remain that it did, indeed all fall apart when those two aspects walked out the door. The Eagles were never the same and, in my opinion, they lost unique traits in players they can't get back.

Now that doesn't mean they can't succeed. The Vikings had unique traits in Percy Harvin and finally came back around. The Seahawks had his services and didn't miss a beat. The Saints had Jimmy Graham and we saw they were different without him. It is a VERY fine line in the NFL between "the players are all elite and the coaches make the difference" which is often true and "you can't win without certain players" which is also true. There are certain players in the NFL who drive the success of their teams because they are that special. DJAX isn't anyone I would lump into a JJ watt "importance" discussion or Big Ben "intangible" discussion but for that team (Eagles) he was one of three players that made Chip look like a genius for a brief period of time.

By stat line, you can say he replaced him but that's not the entire story. THE thing that made the Eagles go with Chip when they were good was the speed from DJAX/Vick/Shady and how they stretched that defense. In particular, that bootleg route where they ran option of Vick and Shady one direction and crossed DJAX coming back the other direction or streaking deep the other side. That package of plays was gold mine money for them and teams could not deal with it.

It was that belief that anyone is replaceable that was the Eagles and Chips' downfall because DJAX has something in the speed category you can't replace. Shady was not truly replaceable because he is very unique also but I understand people talk of "replace" in different terms (financially, styles, etc).

Boild it down any way we want, the bottom line was regardless of all the "if they did this with Maclin, they would have done that.." stuff, the fact is they made terrible, terrible decisions. Keep Maclin and maybe they do 10 different things. Doesn't matter. THey didn't. Traded Shady and got a false sense of security with Alonso. Didn't pan out. Replaced him with two other RBs and completely and utterly misused Murray.

All these things are conjecture to a large degree but their cardinal sin was they replaced DJAX and Shady and failed to recognize the extremely unique attributes those two brought to the table that made everything work and they couldn't replace it.

I might get a dozen replies to this post and all of them saying "nuh uh, it's like this" but those are just, like mine, opinions while the facts remain that it did, indeed all fall apart when those two aspects walked out the door. The Eagles were never the same and, in my opinion, they lost unique traits in players they can't get back.

Now that doesn't mean they can't succeed. The Vikings had unique traits in Percy Harvin and finally came back around. The Seahawks had his services and didn't miss a beat. The Saints had Jimmy Graham and we saw they were different without him. It is a VERY fine line in the NFL between "the players are all elite and the coaches make the difference" which is often true and "you can't win without certain players" which is also true. There are certain players in the NFL who drive the success of their teams because they are that special. DJAX isn't anyone I would lump into a JJ watt "importance" discussion or Big Ben "intangible" discussion but for that team (Eagles) he was one of three players that made Chip look like a genius for a brief period of time.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you said. However, when you lump Vick in with Shady/Jackson in terms of his impact on the Eagles in 2013, you come across like you don't know what you are talking about. Vick had 2 good games under Kelly, his first two. After that he was mediocre to bad and Foles came in and had a remarkable season.

Yes, Eagles fans will have their opinions and you will have yours. But unless you have watched all of the Eagles games, which any real Eagles fan will have, then you are not operating with as much information as they have. Which is true of any team's fans. I don't think my opinion is necessarily as valid as Redskin's fans about the Redskins, because I have not watched every Redskins game.

I will agree that Chip failed in that he had a lot of great pieces to work with in his high paced offense. He didn't deal well with the personalities that came with those pieces, so he replaced them thinking his offense would work with just about anybody. This is where he was wrong.

Love how defensive you girls get after the weeks he costs you a game. This is like the showboat punt return fumble week all over again. :D

The numbers don't support your narrative, that's all. You can say your punter helped you make the playoffs as well....I'm sure there was a nice kick in there somewhere. Cousins to Reed is the difference, not MeSean who played a full season last year when you won 4 games. Now he has a 30 catch season and he is the difference?
Your reading comprehension is awful.

Unfortunately for you, numbers don't lie.But keep up the personal insults.....that will make his 500 yard season more impressive.

Unfortunately for you, numbers don't lie.But keep up the personal insults.....that will make his 500 yard season more impressive.
Go reread Mike's post and try again.

:homer:

What part of his argument do you specifically disagree with?

Wait. Did you just call me Homer Simpson? :P

Users who are viewing this thread