What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (7 Viewers)

For those expecting no one to touch DeSean:

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 2m
At least four teams reached out to DeSean Jackson’s agent, Joel Segal, in first 30 minutes after he was relesaed. Talks ongoing.
No surprise here. Not giving up a draft pick and a team-favored deal to minimize risk. As soon as it goes south you'll hear "the organization is moving forward" or some other corporate bingo term.
Don't really see a downside to signing him. No one is giving a big signing bonus with potential dead money down the road. All he will cost is money.

For those expecting no one to touch DeSean:

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 2m
At least four teams reached out to DeSean Jackson’s agent, Joel Segal, in first 30 minutes after he was relesaed. Talks ongoing.
No surprise here. Not giving up a draft pick and a team-favored deal to minimize risk. As soon as it goes south you'll hear "the organization is moving forward" or some other corporate bingo term.
Don't really see a downside to signing him. No one is giving a big signing bonus with potential dead money down the road. All he will cost is money.
:hifive: Agree on deal done soon, might not make the midnight time, but by end of day tomorrow is my 2c.

The timing of this whole scenario makes me think this was not planned; rather some shizz went down very recently that either pissed Chip off or made Howie nervous about holdouts or both. Waiting until all WR-desperate teams have filled their voids through FA, then letting it get that you are looking to trade DJax makes absolutely no sense. Leaking out that you will potentially cut him if no trade offers come through makes even less sense. Can't see the mindset behind this situation.
Exactly. If it comes out that this was just about money and not sonething he did, then it brings the competence of Howie and Chip into question.
I'm going to judge the competence of Kelly and Roseman by the results on the field. More than a few people thought the sky would fall if Foles was the Eagles QB this time last year. I will trust Kelly until I see a reason not to.
Even if they don't skip a beat on the field, the way this was handled if it was all over money has been very poor. They could have made a trade well before free agency ended when the market was there. If they outright release him over wanting to renegotiate, then it most certainly brings their competence into question.
Just stop with the "if it's about the money" bs. Quitting on the team 2 yrs ago, gang signs, house getting robbed, fighting with a coach on the sidelines, having to run him on the 3rd team during OTAs for motivation, complaining about his contract 2 days after a playoff loss when scheduled to make $10.25mil next year and in no danger of being cut.
It really wasn't that complicated.

B-Deep said:
RUSF18 said:
Reportedly, they had actual offers on the table for him...and they still released him instead of even grabbing a late pick. Major, major red flags around.
no way

why would they do that
Schefter was the one who said they had teams interested in a deal. Just passing it along...
it makes 0 sense

if i could throw out my trash, or sell it to the neighbor for a nickle, I take the nickle

Rotoworld:

Panthers coach Ron Rivera told USA Today on Friday that "we'd be interested" in free agent DeSean Jackson.
Rivera may be feeling some outside pressure with his receiver corps in shambles five weeks away from the draft. The Charlotte Observer previously reported the Panthers weren't interested in Jackson. Perhaps that feeling has changed. "He's an intriguing player and we'll take a look at him," Rivera said. "I just got word (of D-Jax's release) and this is surprising to hear. He's an explosive player who has great vertical speed and is strong going to the ball."

Related: Panthers

Source: USA Today

i am certain a team will sign him, the question I have is does anyone want their team to sign him?

if i could throw out my trash, or sell it to the neighbor for a nickle, I take the nickle
Jackson's contract and high cap number made trades hard. With the contract now torn up, it is easier for teams up against the cap to make a new contract fit their numbers.

Jackson's contract and high cap number made trades hard. With the contract now torn up, it is easier for teams up against the cap to make a new contract fit their numbers.
well that would argue there were no real offers, which i would agree is probably true

what i cannot believe is the eagles could have traded him and chose to release him instead, that is poor business

i am sure there was interest. but i have to believe if they could have traded him they would have

Last edited by a moderator:
what i cannot believe is the eagles could have traded him and chose to release him instead, that is poor business

i am sure there was interest. but i have to believe if they could have traded him they would have
Well someone on Twitter pointed out the timing of this. The team was just at Orlando for the NFL owners meetings. You'd have to think every avenue was discussed, and the failure of all those options is why he was released today.

We saw what happened with Sproles. The Saints were going to cut him, but then teams provided a real offer and a deal was done. I think there's enough evidence that there were no real offers.

Already mentioned, but the first thing I thought of after seeing the words gang ties, murder and cut was Hernandez.

That will give some team's pause (especially NE, also noted upthread).

The NFL has a lot of ex-law enforcement-types available and the resources to do thorough background investigations (though Hernandez slipped through the cracks).

But some teams will justify it. Rivera already put his interest out there, and they need a WR as much as any team, with OAK. We could add NYJ, but they did get Decker. Jackson would make a great speed complement.

DeSean Jackson's potential landing spots

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

We first heard the Eagles were ready to move on from DeSean Jackson on March 18. At the time, many wondered why the Philadelphia Eagles would be willing to give up on him for only a mid-round pick.

It turned out that the Eagles couldn't get anything for him. Philadelphia's release of Jackson Friday was a surprise because of the timing, but perhaps it shouldn't be. Eagles general manager Howie Roseman and coach Chip Kelly had four days in Orlando at the NFL Annual Meeting to test the market. Jackson's salary ($10.5 million) and off-field issues made him untradeable.

That doesn't mean he'll be lacking for suitors as a free agent. Jackson is coming off the best season (1,332 yards) of his career and has breathtaking speed. His attitude and off-field connections will be investigated, but he's never had a problem with the law in his career. Plenty of less talented players with bigger concerns have big contracts in the NFL. Talent wins out.

Jackson might not be a classic No. 1 receiver, but he's undoubtedly one of the best deep threats in the league. He'll get a solid deal, even if it doesn't equate to $10.5 million in 2014. Here are some sensible landing spots:

1. Oakland Raiders: At 27, Jackson would be much younger than most of the free agents that general manager Reggie McKenzie has signed this offseason. The Raiders need explosive playmakers and have salary cap room to burn. Jackson went to nearby Cal. Most importantly, Oakland is the team most likely to give the type of contract Jackson will desire.

2. New York Jets: The Jets shouldn't stop with Eric Decker. They were tied closely to Tavon Austin in last year's draft and have been tied to other similar speed merchants in this year's crop. Owner Woody Johnson sounded intrigued about Jackson in Orlando, Fla., at the NFL Annual Meeting, although it doesn't sound like a move that general manager John Idzik would make. Jackson would qualify as an aggressive bid to change their passing game.

3. San Francisco 49ers: They 49ers were tied to Jackson by multiple reports. They inquired with Philadelphia about Jackson in a trade, but there weren't interested at Jackson's price, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Now the 49ers don't have to give up anything in a potential trade. They desperately need some speed at wide receiver. Their salary cap situation is a concern, but this is a front office not afraid to make bold moves.

4. Kansas City Chiefs: Salary cap room is the major problem here, but Jackson would fit on the team perfectly. Andy Reid knows Jackson's strengths and weaknesses. Kansas City needs receivers after losing out on the Emmanuel Sanders sweepstakes.

"I have nothing but good things to say about the kid," Reid said this week. "I did draft him. I had a great relationship with him. when his father passed away, that was a hard thing for him to go through at a young age. They were best friends.

"I've experienced life things with him. He was great for me when I was there."

If the Chiefs could make the money work, this makes a lot of sense.

Long shots
5. New England Patriots: CSN Philly reported that the Patriots inquired about Jackson. Then again, as Rapoport points out, the Patriots inquire about everyone. They are a "due diligence" type of team.

The Patriots aren't afraid to take big swings, but the reports of Jackson's off-field associates should scare them away. It's also a crowded position in New England with Danny Amendola still around.

6 & 7. San Diego Chargers and Seattle Seahawks: We're throwing these long shots into the mix because Jackson would fit both offenses well. The Chargers are one wideout away from an extremely dangerous offense. The Seahawks, tied loosely to Jackson in one national report, crave big plays and have a surprising amount of cap room. Perhaps Jackson would be willing to rehabilitate his value on a winner.

8. Carolina Panthers: We initially hesitated to even mention the Panthers because the Charlotte Observer reported last week that they wouldn't be interested. Their cap issues seem too severe.

Still, coach Ron Rivera indicated on Friday that the Panthers would have some interest. His vertical speed would fit well with Cam Newton's big arm.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" offers a full recap of the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, then proposes player moves that won't happen (but probably should).

I don't think Hernandez would deter the Patriots. They would sign Satan himself if it meant giving them a better chance at a ring before Brady retires. They've never hesistated to take on bad character guys. It's damn near a requirement.

I don't think Hernandez would deter the Patriots. They would sign Satan himself if it meant giving them a better chance at a ring before Brady retires. They've never hesistated to take on bad character guys. It's damn near a requirement.
Different bosses have different opinions on potential employees

Eagles release Pro Bowler DeSean Jackson amid report of alleged gang ties, NY Jets still interestedBY Manish Mehta

PHILADELPHIA – The Eagles jolted the NFL landscape on Friday by releasing Pro Bowler DeSean Jackson, raising the question: Will the receiver-needy Jets aggressively pursue the mercurial talent now that he’s on the open market?

The Daily News has learned that people in the Jets organization are still interested in Jackson in the wake of news that he has alleged gang-related ties in Southern California. However, it’s unclear whether owner Woody Johnson or general manager John Idzik now want the talented, but troubled wide receiver.

The Jets recently got rid of a problem child receiver in Santonio Holmes. Would Jets brain trust be willing to role the dice on Jackson in the wake of the league’s heightened awareness of players’ gang-related connections stemming from the ongoing Aaron Hernandez saga?

Johnson admitted earlier in the week at the league meetings in Orlando that the Jets had internal discussions at the very least about Jackson, who was being actively shopped by the Eagles at the time.

“We’re looking at a number of players, including DeSean,” Johnson said on Sunday. “He’s a very good player, but we’re looking at a number of them. A trade is not our primary operating motif right now. We’re trying to build through the draft. Building through the draft is something that I think is the way to build a successful team long term.”

Jackson had 82 receptions for 1,332 yards and nine TDs last season, but the Eagles’ relatively swift decision to cut him after a report surfaced Friday morning that his questionable work ethic and off-field behavior, including an association with gang members, had become serious concerns raises questions about whether the Jets should go down that path.

Jackson, who played for Marty Mornhinweg in Philadelphia, would bolster the Jets’ receiving corps and provide a formidable 1-2 punch for Rex Ryan’s team, but he might simply not be worth the potential headache.

"Philly is trading him or cutting him,” a source told the Daily News last Saturday. “That's a fact. They don't want him.”

The Eagles made it official with a two-sentence release Friday afternoon: “After careful consideration this offseason, Eagles decide to part ways with DeSean Jackson. The team informed him of his release today.”

Six teams reportedly reached out to Jackson’s agent after the Eagles cut him. There have been conflicting reports whether the receiver-needy Panthers are interested. The Chiefs, led by Jackson’s former coach Andy Reid, have been linked.

A NJ.com report Friday morning revealed that that the 27-year-old Jackson may have alleged gang connection in his home state of California.

Jackson denied any gang ties in a statement that read, in part:

“I would like to address the misleading and unfounded reports that my release has anything to do with any affiliation that has been speculated surrounding the company I keep off of the field. I would like to make it very clear that I am not and never have been part of any gang. I am not a gang member and to speculate and assume that I am involved in such activity off the field is reckless and irresponsible. I work very hard on and off the field and I am a good person with good values. I am proud of the accomplishments that I have made both on and off the field. I have worked tirelessly to give back to my community and have a positive impact on those in need. It is unfortunate that I now have to defend myself and my intentions. These reports are irresponsible and just not true."

Jackson, who had been scheduled to make $10.5 million in 2014, wasn’t interested in restructuring a contract. It’s clear that he won’t make that much on the open market now.

The Jets have about $29 million of salary cap space, so they should be able to afford Jackson at a reduced rate, but there are football field-sized red flags surrounding Jackson, whose house recently was burglarized with no forced entry.

Idzik has taken a measured and methodical approach this offseason. Now, he faces his most intriguing dilemma.

Signing Jackson could be the ultimate steal.

Or it could turn into an unmitigated disaster.

Other than Hernandez can't think of any of the bad character guys that really did anything of significance. The Hernandez incident really embarrassed the ownership and i'd be very suprirsed if they brought in Jackson.

Chiefs have reached out, per Twitter. If Andy wants him, has to be the favorite.
No cap space, they'd need to jump through a bunch of hoops considering the time frame.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Chiefs&Year=2014
Now imagine Alex Smith throwing those deep balls to Jackson.
Right there with you BB, this would be a terrible signing unless Alex Smith's days are numbered. He cannot throw deep for his life. I see Smith being the team's QB in 2014 and 2015 right now. They could draft someone to groom but after the terrific 2013 season, can't really see it happening soon.

The timing of this whole scenario makes me think this was not planned; rather some shizz went down very recently that either pissed Chip off or made Howie nervous about holdouts or both. Waiting until all WR-desperate teams have filled their voids through FA, then letting it get that you are looking to trade DJax makes absolutely no sense. Leaking out that you will potentially cut him if no trade offers come through makes even less sense. Can't see the mindset behind this situation.
Exactly. If it comes out that this was just about money and not sonething he did, then it brings the competence of Howie and Chip into question.
I'm going to judge the competence of Kelly and Roseman by the results on the field. More than a few people thought the sky would fall if Foles was the Eagles QB this time last year. I will trust Kelly until I see a reason not to.
Even if they don't skip a beat on the field, the way this was handled if it was all over money has been very poor. They could have made a trade well before free agency ended when the market was there. If they outright release him over wanting to renegotiate, then it most certainly brings their competence into question.
Just stop with the "if it's about the money" bs. Quitting on the team 2 yrs ago, gang signs, house getting robbed, fighting with a coach on the sidelines, having to run him on the 3rd team during OTAs for motivation, complaining about his contract 2 days after a playoff loss when scheduled to make $10.25mil next year and in no danger of being cut.
It really wasn't that complicated.
Yep. Wasn't about money.

Not a chance in hell even one of these sentences came from Jackson's mouth.

“I would like to address the misleading and unfounded reports that my release has anything to do with any affiliation that has been speculated surrounding the company I keep off of the field. I would like to make it very clear that I am not and never have been part of any gang. I am not a gang member and to speculate and assume that I am involved in such activity off the field is reckless and irresponsible. I work very hard on and off the field and I am a good person with good values. I am proud of the accomplishments that I have made both on and off the field. I have worked tirelessly to give back to my community and have a positive impact on those in need. It is unfortunate that I now have to defend myself and my intentions. These reports are irresponsible and just not true."

Not a chance in hell even one of these sentences came from Jackson's mouth.

“I would like to address the misleading and unfounded reports that my release has anything to do with any affiliation that has been speculated surrounding the company I keep off of the field. I would like to make it very clear that I am not and never have been part of any gang. I am not a gang member and to speculate and assume that I am involved in such activity off the field is reckless and irresponsible. I work very hard on and off the field and I am a good person with good values. I am proud of the accomplishments that I have made both on and off the field. I have worked tirelessly to give back to my community and have a positive impact on those in need. It is unfortunate that I now have to defend myself and my intentions. These reports are irresponsible and just not true."tru
true

Are any WRs worth a speculative add on the Eagles at this point? We all know about Maclin and Cooper, so who benefits from Jackson's release?
Not really. The only sleeper is BJ Cunningham - formerly 6th round pick from MSU signed off Miami's practice squad. He might have value if Cooper got hurt and the rookie wasn't ready.

The guy who would get the reps if the season started today is Jeff Maehl. But he's pretty pedestrian.

I wouldn't roster Damaris Johnson. He was unreliable on special teams, so I doubt they thrust him into more of an offense role.

In general though, bump Ertz, bump Cooper, bump Maclin, bump Sproles.

I don't get it. 27 yo pro bowl wideout coming off a career season sent to the curb based on a personality problem with the head coach and gang member innuendo. Is that it? Was there a crime charged here? Was he under Roger Goodell's discipline for anything? He like to visit his homeys in the pen, throws up signals, and SOs to his boys. Personally, he always came off as a snarky jackass. But how many star atheletes have we excused being bad people in real life in exchange for the difference making plays on the field?

I hope that the Raiders can get him now that he's a free agent, while the court of public opinion is still split and people falling for the whole gangster backstory. Crazy that this kind of talent sits on waivers.

I don't get it. 27 yo pro bowl wideout coming off a career season sent to the curb based on a personality problem with the head coach and gang member innuendo. Is that it? Was there a crime charged here? Was he under Roger Goodell's discipline for anything? He like to visit his homeys in the pen, throws up signals, and SOs to his boys. Personally, he always came off as a snarky jackass. But how many star atheletes have we excused being bad people in real life in exchange for the difference making plays on the field?

I hope that the Raiders can get him now that he's a free agent, while the court of public opinion is still split and people falling for the whole gangster backstory. Crazy that this kind of talent sits on waivers.
Well there have always been rumors of him being a locker room cancer. From what i've read many on the team applauded his release.

There is something to be said for team chemistry.

Many people are claiming money had nothing to do with it but if I'm paying a guy $10M a year I want him to be an asset off the field as well as on it. I can put up a lot more from a player when he's making the league minimum.

Another team like the Raiders may benefit from it, but the move didn't hurt the Eagles when you factor in money it freed up and all the distractions it got rid of.

it's really the opposite. If Jackson was a minimum salary player, he would have been booted off a long time ago.

Many people are claiming money had nothing to do with it but if I'm paying a guy $10M a year I want him to be an asset off the field as well as on it. I can put up a lot more from a player when he's making the league minimum.

Another team like the Raiders may benefit from it, but the move didn't hurt the Eagles when you factor in money it freed up and all the distractions it got rid of.
I think there had to be some sort of dead money hit for dumping Desean, but even so, I think money had nothing at all to do with this move. He was worth the money given his production. Locker room cancer, diva, headcase, etc. is what you hire good assistant coaches and bring on mentors to get them to play under wraps. This was a management issue. Poor management if you ask me, not to work with the talent you have and continue to milk it till it runs out. Desean leaves a huge hole of production and I doubt seriously that any one player on the team or in the draft will fill that hole. I don't know if Chip Kelly is one of those my-way-or-the-highway types, but we already see the talent drain that occured on the Bucs with Greg Schiano's regime. NFL talent of Desean Jackson's caliber is hard to find and it's foolish to let it go for nothing.

They tried to trade him - why would someone give up draft picks for the right to pay that mega salary? They would better off waiting until Jackson was released and to take their chances in FA.

Well there have always been rumors of him being a locker room cancer. From what i've read many on the team applauded his release.

There is something to be said for team chemistry.
For sure team chemistry is important. You don't want one guy running roughshod over the locker room with drama and antics causing a stir all the time. That's why you bring in a collection of assistants and coaches that channel the locker room cancer away from trouble and bring in some tough hardline players to help police the lockerroom. As long as their's respect to build on, it's salvagable, but that respect has to go both ways.

Anyway, imo, you know what builds chemistry? Wins. You know what builds wins? Difference making players making plays in the 4th quarter. Desean is one of those players, and who cares what the JAG players think? They are the hired help on temp wages. Easily replaceable, unlike Desean.

it's really the opposite. If Jackson was a minimum salary player, he would have been booted off a long time ago.
You're not going to boot a Pro Bowl player making $500k unless it's an impossible situation. People forget that it's a business, first and foremost.

clayton was on espn and said KC #1 and Jets #2 most likely to land him. also mentioned sea SF and Car and maybe 1 or 2 others that i'm forgetting.

Users who are viewing this thread