What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Powers: Vikings should trade Adrian Peterson (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Tom Powers: Vikings should trade Adrian PetersonBy Tom Powers

At this point, keeping Adrian Peterson on the Vikings is like putting a Mercedes hood ornament on a Plymouth.

In one respect, an NFL team isn't all that different from any other business enterprise. As the song says: You've got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. When to walk to away and when to run.

Let's hope Rick Spielman is limbering up.

Currently, the Vikings have yet to come to grips with their own futility. They continue to anticipate a turnaround that will vault them into Super Bowl contention. Well, uh, OK. Perhaps they will look sharp in beating the Giants on Monday night and then use that as a springboard to greatness. Or at least to mediocrity.

If not, if they wind up 1-5 and officially challenging for the title of Worst Team in the NFL, then they need get away from this bad hand and start dealing for the future. Adrian Peterson is 28 years old. NFL history is filled with stories about great running backs that began to break down at the age of 30. Among them are Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, O.J. Simpson and Earl Campbell. The pounding takes its toll. And nobody runs harder than Peterson.

He's wasting his prime here. And the Vikings need bulk, not one superstar player. So trading Peterson for enough components to jumpstart the team's development is a sound strategy. It would be tremendously unpopular, of course. But it doesn't make sense to keep Peterson around for what could be a drawn-out rebuilding process. The team already is a long ways off and likely will be without Jared Allen and Kevin Williams next season.

Peterson is the most revered and productive athlete in the Twin Cities. And his popularity likely is undented by recent revelations that he is something of a serial parent. The thought of having to sit through a Vikings game without him seems unbearable. But people should look ahead toward the greater good.

Legend has it that Jimmy Johnson was out for a walk one October morning in 1989 when it hit him like a freight train: His Dallas Cowboys, 0-5 at the time, were hopeless. Johnson stopped dead in his tracks. Within seconds he decided to trade star running back Herschel Walker and use the proceeds to fast track the team's development.

Several teams were interested, but the Vikings "won" the sweepstakes. With all those draft picks the Cowboys took from Minnesota they selected Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson and others who helped launch the Dallas dynasty.

Ten years later, coach Mike Ditka traded all of the New Orleans Saints' draft picks, plus a No. 1 and a No. 3 the following season, to Washington for the right to move up and select running back Ricky Williams. The Redskins appeared to have secured their long-term future with that deal. Yet they mishandled the draft picks and wasted a chance to move into the league's upper echelon. They stayed at .500 or below for five straight seasons.

What would the NFL's best running back bring in return? Well, a real bounty. Just imagine what Peterson could do for a contender with a balanced offense. Oh yeah, the price would be very high. We'd have to assume that Spielman makes good use of the draft picks. But he certainly would have plenty of material with which to work.

Johnson's Cowboys went 1-15 the year in which Walker was traded. Texans were screaming. The next year they went 7-9. Then 11-5. Then they won two straight Super Bowls. Not that there is another pigeon out there along the lines of former Vikings GM Mike Lynn, who worked the Walker trade from this end. But Adrian Peterson definitely would attract serious interest.

There are obstacles. Whichever team acquires Peterson likely would have salary cap issues. So the Vikings should be willing to take on salary in return -- as long as they can dump it rather quickly. And Peterson shouldn't have any trouble absorbing another offensive system.

Note that after starting 0-2, the Cleveland Browns decided it was time to fold 'em and traded running back Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts for a first-rounder. As turned out, the Browns discovered they weren't quite dead when they came into the Metrodome and whipped the Vikings. Now they are 3-3 and still have two first-round picks next year.

Trading Peterson should be seriously considered. It would be good for him and good for the Vikings. He's out of place here, like a Rolex on the wrist of a hobo.

What are other teams offering for Adrian Peterson?

While the Vikings do suck this year, I thought the same about them last year, yet they did make the playoffs last year and once you make the playoffs anything can happen. The NFL has proven you can go from last to first and from first to last, year in and year out, so a talent like ADP should never be traded away, you will never get an acceptable return. Even with 10-20 draft picks the chance of hitting another ADP is extremely low, TRich anyone? The chance of hitting the next "Emmitt Smith" is so minute. Even if you get 2 or 3 first round picks for him you will still never draft another player as good as him. The only chance the Vikings have of ever succeeding are by keeping ADP, plus they can still franchise tag him at least once and stuff (not sure the exact terms of the recent bargaining agreement).

If anything, the Vikings should mortgage their future for a QB, they have already proven they can't find one on their own (maybe Freeman will prove me wrong but I still wouldn't build a franchise around him).

Also, journalists get English degrees or similar, nothing that requires actual brain power or any form of logical thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Browns did it, why can't we?" That's what I see here. How about all good players on bad teams get traded and we can have 16 super teams and 16 more trying for the #1 overall pick.

Moreno, Decker, and 1st rounder for Peterson. Get 'er done Elway! :lol:
You can't really change teams mid-season though, just look at TRich. It would take ADP weeks to adapt, and then, when they even put him in the game, the opposing defense would probably expect a running play and just stuff ADP anyways :oldunsure:

I don't think teams in today's NFL would give up such a bounty, even for Adrian Peterson.
This. It's a QB league today. Offense is predicated on that reality as is defense and salaries and value follow.

Gone are the days of a great RB a solid defense and a serviceable game manager. And even if you look at the NFL historically, great RBS are hardly a recipe for easy Championships.

AP is the only reason fans show up to watch a bad team in a putrid stadium. No way do they trade their most viable asset.

AP is the only reason fans show up to watch a bad team in a putrid stadium. No way do they trade their most viable asset.
Yep. Business > Winning. Trading AD is the right football move, just like trading S Jacks would have been in the best interest of the Rams all those years, because the Vikes won't have a shot at a title until he's on the wrong side of 30 and likely no longer an asset. Won't happen though.

The person that wrote this has 2 major flaws in his theory.

1st - Peterson is wasting his prime for the Vikings. He might still be playing at a high level but he is at the end of his prime.

2nd - He is putting fantasy football value on Peterson. A team would pay a 1st, 2nd and some more stuff for Peterson in a dynasty league. In the NFL he would be lucky to fetch a second rounder.

Coaches and GMs don't look to trade the only guy who can keep them from getting fired.

PS-The guy talking about trading 4 guys for AP is on drugs. At 28 years old he's not going for more than a second and I don't even see that.

I don't think teams in today's NFL would give up such a bounty, even for Adrian Peterson.
This. It's a QB league today. Offense is predicated on that reality as is defense and salaries and value follow.

Gone are the days of a great RB a solid defense and a serviceable game manager.
The 6-0 Kansas City Chiefs beg to differ.
As do the Seahawks. Except reverse it so it says great defense and solid RB.

I agree, assuming they could in fact get a king's ransom for him.

no way, the Vikings are trying to win during the Peterson era. They brought in Farve a couple years ago, they drafted and brought him a good O-Line and now they brought in Freeman at ADP's request. The Vikes also had 3 1st rounders this yr and so they have a great mixture going and if things click that could be a good team very soon. Now in another 2 yrs if its still looking downhill then yeah, trade him or cut him loose so he can try to get his ring.... even at age 30 I expect ADP to still be very effective on a good team.

If Minnesota could get a ton it's a no brainer, this year is a lost cause and by next season he'll be 29 and Minnesota still won't be a serious contender.

But they couldn't get a bounty for him, this isn't 1995, Hail Mary moves giving up a ton for older vets isn't happening.

Good move in theory based on 90's mentality, but unrealistic today.

The Vikings without Peterson would have been an ugly sight the last few years - no NFCC game, no playoffs last year, as much as their offense has struggled with him, it makes you say yikes to think what they would be like without him.

Huge flaw in Powers' reasoning is that Richardson has been a mediocre plodder who is looking like addition by subtraction, Peterson will one day be mentioned with Brown, Sanders, Sayers.

And he argues against himself, one of the prizes the Cowboys got from the Walker trade was Emmitt Smith... another franchise RB and he was a cornerstone of those great Dallas teams.

Gone are the days of a great RB a solid defense and a serviceable game manager. And even if you look at the NFL historically, great RBS are hardly a recipe for easy Championships.
How long has it been since Brady or Manning have won a superbowl?

How long has it been since Brady or Manning have won a superbowl?
Do Brees and Rodgers count?

The idea that you need an elite QB to win a SuperBowl is dumb. I don't think most would consider Eli, Ben or Flacco to be elite. They were very good QB's who executed when they had to who had other good components to help them win. The Vikings have some young offensive weapons.....if they added DEF help and Freeman can be a QB who executes....there's no reason to think they couldn't be competitive for a Super Bowl within a couple of years..

In 2010, the San Francisco 49ers were 6-10 under coach Mike Singletary. In 2011, the 49ers were 13-3 under Jim Harbaugh.

What does this have to do with the Vikings? Maybe not much but, as a fan of the team, you have to hold on to the hope that it is coaching incompetence that is holding this team back. The 49ers did not attempt to trade Frank Gore when they were 0-5 to start the 2010 season. I have to suspect trading Adian Peterson would not help the Vikings as well.

In 2010, the San Francisco 49ers were 6-10 under coach Mike Singletary. In 2011, the 49ers were 13-3 under Jim Harbaugh.

What does this have to do with the Vikings? Maybe not much but as a fan of the team, you have to hold up hope that it is coaching incompetence that is holding this team back. The 49ers did not attempt to trade Frank Gore when they were 0-5 to start the 2010 season. I have to suspect trading Adian Peterson would not help the Vikings either.
Conversely it would be incredible to see what a Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Payton, or Bellichick would do with the likes of All Day.

Randy Moss made the Vikings a threat on offense ..more than ADP ... The shipped him off as well ... broke records with Brady

Randy Moss made the Vikings a threat on offense ..more than ADP ... The shipped him off as well ... broke records with Brady
he didn't do much for the raiders

Theres a difference from shipping out a guy whoes great but is a lockerroom cancer like Harvin was and shipping out a guy whoes not only great on the field but also in the community like Peterson

The idea that you need an elite QB to win a SuperBowl is dumb. I don't think most would consider Eli, Ben or Flacco to be elite. They were very good QB's who executed when they had to who had other good components to help them win. The Vikings have some young offensive weapons.....if they added DEF help and Freeman can be a QB who executes....there's no reason to think they couldn't be competitive for a Super Bowl within a couple of years..
Maybe, but you absolutely don't need an elite RB to win. In fact, if you look at most of the elite RBs of the 21st century, almost none of them were on Super Bowl-winning teams, Marshall Faulk being the one exception (and he won his last century), unless you want to count Corey Dillon when he went to NE and got a ring. Meanwhile, if you look at the elite QBs of the 21st century - Peyton, Brady, Warner, Brees, Rodgers, etc. - they pretty much all have rings.

In other words, you are far more likely to win a Super Bowl in today's NFL with an elite QB than you are with an elite RB.

In other words, you are far more likely to win a Super Bowl in today's NFL with an elite QB than you are with an elite RB.
Sure, and that's completely irrelevant to the question of whether the Vikings should keep Peterson, since they're not going to get an elite QB by trading him.

Did someone say they would be "lucky" to get a 2nd rounder???? :wall:

I would bet anything at any odds there is at least one team willing to give their 2014 1st for Peterson. Saints come to mind. Broncos come to mind. Hell even the stingy Patriots come to mind.

Then again, with Peterson, those 2014 1sts would pretty much be like 2nds anyway.

What does this have to do with the Vikings? Maybe not much but, as a fan of the team, you have to hold on to the hope that it is coaching incompetence that is holding this team back. The 49ers did not attempt to trade Frank Gore when they were 0-5 to start the 2010 season. I have to suspect trading Adian Peterson would not help the Vikings as well.
:goodposting:

Because we've never seen franchises have massive changes in records from year to year. :rolleyes: Powers is on an obvious fishing trip here. It doesn't make sense for your team or for your business.

Gone are the days of a great RB a solid defense and a serviceable game manager.
And the reigning Super Bowl champions, who certainly did not win the Super Bowl on the shoulders of a hall of fame QB.

Don't the Skins have an extra QB? What kind of picks could they afford to throw in the deal? RG3 n AP in the same backfield sounds pretty good to me.

I have to admit that Im kinda upset about using best RB ever term though. Earl Campbell n RG3 together would probably make Coachs n players cringe at the matchup.>> Can you imagine a LB readin the toss? I cant I think the LB goes full on for Earl to avoid getting squashed/beat and or broken... Basically lets RG3 roll

This. It's a QB league today. Offense is predicated on that reality as is defense and salaries and value follow.Gone are the days of a great RB a solid defense and a serviceable game manager.
And the reigning Super Bowl champions, who certainly did not win the Super Bowl on the shoulders of a hall of fame QB.
True, but he played like an elite QB in the playoffs. Check out his numbers.

Slight hijack, but why don't NFL Head Coaches do the "Greener Pastures" thing? And why don't owners see the $$ importance of coaching especially since there's no Salary Cap for what you pay an "elite" HC? Putting all the pieces together to make an elite NFL team are constrained by the Cap, but no one position has the overall affect on winning as the HC (even the Owner). For instance, Sean Payton just got $8M from the Saints even after (arguably) his managerial talents tanked the team and cost the owner $X millions. Why hasn't Jerry Jones, as an example, told him he'd pay him $10M to come to Dallas?

Slight hijack, but why don't NFL Head Coaches do the "Greener Pastures" thing? And why don't owners see the $$ importance of coaching especially since there's no Salary Cap for what you pay an "elite" HC? Putting all the pieces together to make an elite NFL team are constrained by the Cap, but no one position has the overall affect on winning as the HC (even the Owner). For instance, Sean Payton just got $8M from the Saints even after (arguably) his managerial talents tanked the team and cost the owner $X millions. Why hasn't Jerry Jones, as an example, told him he'd pay him $10M to come to Dallas?
Thats because thats not really what went down behind the scene. Bounty gate was a sham, Every team in the NFL does what the Saints did. Tom Benson knew what was up and what does he do? Not only does he not fire his coach, he makes him the highest paid coach in the league. Pay per performance did happen in New Orleans and that is truly what the Saints were guilty of and it is against the rules but also every team in the NFL did it and still does it. In fact just recently a Seahawks player admitted he was going to be fined by his team mates for not running a pick back for a TD. That is pay for performance and it still goes on so the question is why isn't Goodell enforcing his rules now? Because the concussion law suit is over. Also Jerry Jones did make an offer to Payton he was in New Orleans and someone actually asked him point blank why he was here and he said "I am here to steal your coach"

Don't the Skins have an extra QB? What kind of picks could they afford to throw in the deal? RG3 n AP in the same backfield sounds pretty good to me.

I have to admit that Im kinda upset about using best RB ever term though. Earl Campbell n RG3 together would probably make Coachs n players cringe at the matchup.>> Can you imagine a LB readin the toss? I cant I think the LB goes full on for Earl to avoid getting squashed/beat and or broken... Basically lets RG3 roll
If the skins traded cousins, it won't be for a running back. Morris is still one of their best players. If Minnesota included a first, maybe.

Thats because thats not really what went down behind the scene. Bounty gate was a sham, Every team in the NFL does what the Saints did. Tom Benson knew what was up and what does he do? Not only does he not fire his coach, he makes him the highest paid coach in the league. Pay per performance did happen in New Orleans and that is truly what the Saints were guilty of and it is against the rules but also every team in the NFL did it and still does it. In fact just recently a Seahawks player admitted he was going to be fined by his team mates for not running a pick back for a TD. That is pay for performance and it still goes on so the question is why isn't Goodell enforcing his rules now? Because the concussion law suit is over. Also Jerry Jones did make an offer to Payton he was in New Orleans and someone actually asked him point blank why he was here and he said "I am here to steal your coach"
I didn't mean to infer the Saints were cheating or at least doing something that no one else was doing. Bountygate was an NFL/Goodell PR move. I get it. And I was using JJ as an example. Maybe not a good one. But if he indeed (as an example) made a Brinks truck offer to Peyton or either of the Harbaugh's or _____________ (insert elite NFL coach name here) why didn't they take it?

again sorry for the hijack

"The Browns did it, why can't we?" That's what I see here. How about all good players on bad teams get traded and we can have 16 super teams and 16 more trying for the #1 overall pick.
The NBA already beat you to this model. Why that league is unwatchable...God forbid the NFL lets that happen...

There was a Supe in there. He didn't get a raise because of bounty gate cmon

Users who are viewing this thread