What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darren Sproles Thread (1 Viewer)

The Saints still have not officially released Sproles. Would they really keep Sproles from hitting the open market at the start of FA knowing that they are going to release him? Seems like how the Saints would operate now and days.
Might be trying to negotiate a pay cut. Makes sense for him, too -- he's not getting a big deal on the open market.

The Saints still have not officially released Sproles. Would they really keep Sproles from hitting the open market at the start of FA knowing that they are going to release him? Seems like how the Saints would operate now and days.
Might be trying to negotiate a pay cut. Makes sense for him, too -- he's not getting a big deal on the open market.
This would make the most sense. You would think thats the case seeing as how he is still rostered and everyone has already reported his release. Negotiating tactic for the Saints?

Few teams can make Sproles fit into their offense and only a few offenses fit Sproles as well as the Saints, maybe less than 5 can really use him properly.

Returning at a lesser salary would make a lot of sense for all involved, though I am not sure Payton is not looking to retool on all offensive levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network, the Vikings are a possible landing spot for Darren Sproles.
Sproles hasn't officially been cut by the Saints yet as they try to trade him. But if that doesn't work, we can easily connect the dots to Minnesota. New Vikings OC Norv Turner coached Sproles in San Diego from 2007-10 and Adrian Peterson has never excelled in the pass game.

Related: Vikings

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

This is why the media sucks. Already reporting he was released, then we get this.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Saints are no longer planning to release Darren Sproles, and now plan to trade him "due to heavy interest."
Very well then. We had yet to mark Sproles as a free agent for bookkeeping purposes, but he seemed as good as gone from New Orleans. There wouldn't seem to be much trade interest in a 31-year-old gadget running back, but in a world where Blaine Gabbert fetches a sixth-rounder, anything is possible. Sproles' $3.4 million salary is relatively modest. He'd improve a lot of backfields.

This is why the media sucks. Already reporting he was released, then we get this.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Saints are no longer planning to release Darren Sproles, and now plan to trade him "due to heavy interest."
Very well then. We had yet to mark Sproles as a free agent for bookkeeping purposes, but he seemed as good as gone from New Orleans. There wouldn't seem to be much trade interest in a 31-year-old gadget running back, but in a world where Blaine Gabbert fetches a sixth-rounder, anything is possible. Sproles' $3.4 million salary is relatively modest. He'd improve a lot of backfields.
So what are we thinking here? Raiders, Browns, Rams?

Redskins maybe?

Redskins maybe?
I was thinking them too but don't they like Helu?

Trade him? Who would want to do that? Maybe a team that was really hoping to land DMAC? I don't see how there is suddenly a market for him. Seems like a smoke screen.

Trade him? Who would want to do that? Maybe a team that was really hoping to land DMAC? I don't see how there is suddenly a market for him. Seems like a smoke screen.
Sproles have reportedly garnered trade attention from multiple teams, which is why he hasn't been cut.

Also, if there was a team hoping to land DMAC why didn't they just offer him a lowball 1 year deal like he got from Oakland?

Jets maybe could be a good fit actually.

Adam Schefter said 10 teams called him about Sproles trying to get updates. So clearly there is a market for him.

Adam Schefter said 10 teams called him about Sproles trying to get updates. So clearly there is a market for him.
Teams called Schefter for news on Sproles? Really? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't call somebody like maybe the saints.

Teams called Schefter for news on Sproles? Really? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't call somebody like maybe the saints.
I assume they are looking for unbiased updates.

I heard him on ESPN radio this morning. He said the Saints were ready to cut Sproles till they found out there was a market for him. About half a dozen teams called Schefter asking about Sproles' availability and what it might take to get a deal done. I also found it odd teams were calling AS and not the Saints.

Amused to Death said:
cstu said:
voiceofunreason said:
False Start said:
jurb26 said:
I heard him on ESPN radio this morning. He said the Saints were ready to cut Sproles till they found out there was a market for him. About half a dozen teams called Schefter asking about Sproles' availability and what it might take to get a deal done. I also found it odd teams were calling AS and not the Saints.
I also found it odd teams were calling AS and not the Saints.
Information is a two way street.

I would call a reliable source like Schefter to get info if I could and would not take ANY value in anything a team trying to be slick has said. Sproles cant even get info out of the Saints for crying out loud.

I am a Saints fan, but I think I respect the info that Shefty can provide over a team that has been screwing with people. It bothers me that this is how one of my favorite teams treat players who have worked hard for them, but then again look how they are treating Graham and how long did it take to take care of Brees?.

Josina Anderson @JosinaAnderson
Saints RB Darren Sproles to me on the handling of his future: "I want to get released. I don't want to be (cont) tl.gd/n_1s0u5bm

Saints RB Darren Sproles to me on the handling of his future: "I want to get released. I don't want to be traded. I don't know where they would send me because I have no control over it and I want to be able to pick. The good thing is none of the teams I'm told they're talking to are terrible. It's more than two. I feel I should have more of an idea later on today."

I would call a reliable source like Schefter to get info if I could and would not take ANY value in anything a team trying to be slick has said. Sproles cant even get info out of the Saints for crying out loud.

I am a Saints fan, but I think I respect the info that Shefty can provide over a team that has been screwing with people. It bothers me that this is how one of my favorite teams treat players who have worked hard for them, but then again look how they are treating Graham and how long did it take to take care of Brees?.

Josina Anderson @JosinaAnderson
Saints RB Darren Sproles to me on the handling of his future: "I want to get released. I don't want to be (cont) tl.gd/n_1s0u5bm

Saints RB Darren Sproles to me on the handling of his future: "I want to get released. I don't want to be traded. I don't know where they would send me because I have no control over it and I want to be able to pick. The good thing is none of the teams I'm told they're talking to are terrible. It's more than two. I feel I should have more of an idea later on today."
In passing on one of the sports segments on the local news there was a report about Loomis commenting on Monte Williams' future as HC with the Pels and it occurred to me that I had completely forgotten if/whether Loomis was still GM'ing the Pels. It is unbelievably cheap and stupid for Loomis to be handling both those jobs. The era of Payton and Brees has really covered over a lot of deficiencies under Benson, to put it mildly. Loomis runs things the way Benson runs things and I think that's how Benson treats people in business, so that's how it is. Sproles might just be my favorite NFL player, not just Saints player, and I agree this is really shoddy. - On the business side of things, though, frankly, I don't want to see Sproles in the NFC, and if they can package him off somewhere in the AFC, especially maybe the AFCE, where we don't have to see him for another few years, that would be great, and if he lands in a great offense like NE or somewhere that will feature and respect him and his skills and also give him a shot at the playoffs, while NO also gets value back, well then that would be great.

Rumor on the wind now is Baltimore - which makes sense:

- out of conference

- Bal needs receiving help, especially possession, move the chain variety

- Kubiak loves him some RBs

- playoff team

- out of conference

- playoff team
Rice and Pierce? Doesnt make sense to me. Rice has always been able to catch, he had a down year. But who knows. I just have a pet peeve right now that people reported him as a FA when he was never released and NFL network still has him listed as FA. This is my problem with every media outlet, they just report what some believe and not what actually happened. Rotoworld reports whatever they see someone on twitter say.

- out of conference

- playoff team
Rice and Pierce? Doesnt make sense to me. Rice has always been able to catch, he had a down year. But who knows. I just have a pet peeve right now that people reported him as a FA when he was never released and NFL network still has him listed as FA. This is my problem with every media outlet, they just report what some believe and not what actually happened. Rotoworld reports whatever they see someone on twitter say.
I see what you mean, my thought here was that the Ravens could use some help in the receiving game and on the possession side of things.

I have also heard KC, which maybe makes more sense, especially with McCluster gone.

On the FA status issue, it's funny how some reporters fail to actually check the transactions. Also I can tell you the team has never issued a statement saying that Sproles was released. I do believe that the team and Sproles probably reached that conclusion that they would be doing that, but that's not the same thing as it happens. I'm afraid this is a problem with basic reporting these days that extends beyond sports.

- out of conference

- playoff team
Rice didn't just have a down year, he had an atrocious year and easily the worst of any starting RB.

He was also one of the worst receiving RB's (5.5 YPR) which ranked him 29th out of 31 among RB's that played at least 50% of their team's snaps.

- out of conference

- playoff team
Rice didn't just have a down year, he had an atrocious year and easily the worst of any starting RB.

He was also one of the worst receiving RB's (5.5 YPR) which ranked him 29th out of 31 among RB's that played at least 50% of their team's snaps.
So we agree he had a bad year, how was he before last year, have any success?

Few teams can make Sproles fit into their offense and only a few offenses fit Sproles as well as the Saints, maybe less than 5 can really use him properly.

Returning at a lesser salary would make a lot of sense for all involved, though I am not sure Payton is not looking to retool on all offensive levels.
Its interesting that we have quite differing views..

I almost immediately considered how useful Sproles "could" be for the Vikings. I question the Saints OLine, just as much as the Vikes. I do not believe the Vikings have such a multirole RB at this time (hands)..

It almost seems logical for a team w a rookie QB to have a RB for handoffs and/or pass action type play on every snap..

Now I could list out several negatives. The biggest would probably be amt of usage ie AP plays ALOT However I would enjoy watching 3rd down N five yd plays.. This limited amt of play "should" increase his yrs of usefulness

I have a feeling the shoe is about to drop today before this mess gets any worse in the public for both Sproles and the Saints. I assure you, Jimmy Graham is sitting back and watching the Saints shoot themselves in the foot. They go out and pay a guy who has not sweated with the Saints like Graham has more than Graham and they treat a player like Sproles with such disrespect. I am a fan of the Saints and to say I am disappointed in how they are handling this offseason would be an understatement. If I am Graham, I hold out until they meet my every demand.

The Redskins are reportedly "making a push" to trade for Darren Sproles.
The Saints are holding onto Sproles as they try to squeeze out the highest bid. He would certainly fit as an upgrade on Roy Helu as the passing back in new coach Jay Gruden's pass-happy scheme, but the Redskins aren't exactly overflowing with draft picks. They lost their first-rounder in the Robert Griffin III trade and only have one pick in each of the following six rounds. New Orleans seems to think they get can get a third- or fourth-rounder for Sproles.

Sproles and McCoy owners both not happy at this news I would imagine.
Yeah I would think both kind of take a hit since they are the same type of guy. Obviously McCoy is the better rusher, but Sproles will eat into his receptions and vice versa.
McCoy and Sproles are same guy?

McCoy 314/1607/9 and 52/539/2 5'11", 208

Sproles 53/220/2 and 71/604/2 and is 5'6", 190

I can see how you think they are the same guy. :doh:

Sproles will do what he does and catch passes, McCoy will do that in a way lesser roll and still push for 300 carries. I would be happy if I am a Sproles owner not so much if you are a McCoy owner.

Source: Saints receive the 2014 5th round pick New England sent for Isaac Sopoaga in exchange for RB Sproles.

Neither are on my dynasty team, but I can't imagine McCoy takes much of a hit. Still the top weapon on the team. Sproles should see a lot of time lined up as a WR and to give McCoy a breather.
Yes they traded a pick for a perennial PPR beast to have him just come in to spell McCoy. Maybe they are trying to lighten the load a bit for him. I expect a lot of two back sets on passing downs. Wait, but Sproles lost a step. So much so someone just traded for him. a lot of McCoy owners are going to be in denial about what Sproles can do for a while.

Michael Signora@NFLfootballinfo 7m
Since 2009, Darren Sproles ranks 1st among RBs in rec yards & TD catches & ties for 1st in receptions

Yeah I would think both kind of take a hit since they are the same type of guy. Obviously McCoy is the better rusher, but Sproles will eat into his receptions and vice versa.

Sproles will do what he does and catch passes, McCoy will do that in a way lesser roll and still push for 300 carries. I would be happy if I am a Sproles owner not so much if you are a McCoy owner.

Source: Saints receive the 2014 5th round pick New England sent for Isaac Sopoaga in exchange for RB Sproles.
Not necessarily the same, but both can catch passes out of the backfield and are dangerous in space. Think it cuts into McCoy's reception totals for sure. Does it really increase anything for Sproles? The Eagles like to run the ball more than NO did. Might change a bit, but Sproles won't see many carries and would they take out McCoy on 3rd downs?

Neither are on my dynasty team, but I can't imagine McCoy takes much of a hit. Still the top weapon on the team. Sproles should see a lot of time lined up as a WR and to give McCoy a breather.
Yes they traded a pick for a perennial PPR beast to have him just come in to spell McCoy. Maybe they are trying to lighten the load a bit for him. I expect a lot of two back sets on passing downs. Wait, but Sproles lost a step. So much so someone just traded for him. a lot of McCoy owners are going to be in denial about what Sproles can do for a while.

Michael Signora@NFLfootballinfo 7m
Since 2009, Darren Sproles ranks 1st among RBs in rec yards & TD catches & ties for 1st in receptions
They traded a 5th round pick. McCoy is the bell-cow here. Sproles is a nice addition.

I'd be thrilled if I owned Sproles -- not like he was going to be the lead RB or get more than a few carries / week regardless of who was ahead of him. And Kelly is creative enough to get the most out of him.

As a McCoy owner, yeah, this probably shaves off a chunk of receptions, which sucks in PPR. But McCoy is still gonna be an elite RB1.

Not necessarily the same, but both can catch passes out of the backfield and are dangerous in space. Think it cuts into McCoy's reception totals for sure. Does it really increase anything for Sproles? The Eagles like to run the ball more than NO did. Might change a bit, but Sproles won't see many carries and would they take out McCoy on 3rd downs?
I dont think it increases any value for Sproles, but it keeps him at the same level he was at in NO instead of going to the Vikings or some mess like that to lower his value. The reason the Saints did not run a lot is because the short passes to Sproles are like runs.

If they don't plan on using him to run or spell McCoy on 3rd downs, why did they trade a 5th for him? lol I dont understand some logic of some holding out hope this doesn't hurt McCoys value. It clearly does. DJax is hurt in this too as well as any other Eagles pass catcher.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com@SandoESPN 1m
. @DarrenSproles turns 31 in June but has only 919 career offensive touches, counting playoffs. 48 RBs have more since '05 (@sj39 2,840).

Users who are viewing this thread