What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Official Aaron Rodgers injury thread ***** (1 Viewer)

how does everyone feel about Tolzein against MIN this week? MIN giving up big points to opposing QBs.
Right now he is my qb to cover Russell Wilson's bye week.But I worry about him being on a short leash with the ints and not finishing the game.
Have to decide between him and Alex smith. We get 5 pints for a 300 yard passing bonus which is making me lean toward Tolzien.
Now this is a league I would love to be in!! :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:

He certainly isn't playing this week and he's a favorite to miss next week too. They're not going to risk it.

Does anybody listen to the FBG podcasts? Dr Jene sounded a lot more cautious about sending out optimistic news about Rodgers injury. Said, paraphrasing here, that he'd be shocked if he played in the Thanksgiving game. It may well be all of the 4-6 week timeframe and may be coming back as late as week 16. The Green Bay schedule looks like Christmas come early. Not that Tolzien is a must add, but that cherry schedule has to give him some juice. I own Rodgers and am settling in for this to be a long haul.

Does anybody listen to the FBG podcasts? Dr Jene sounded a lot more cautious about sending out optimistic news about Rodgers injury. Said, paraphrasing here, that he'd be shocked if he played in the Thanksgiving game. It may well be all of the 4-6 week timeframe and may be coming back as late as week 16. The Green Bay schedule looks like Christmas come early. Not that Tolzien is a must add, but that cherry schedule has to give him some juice. I own Rodgers and am settling in for this to be a long haul.
I do. Was also gonna mention what Dr Jene said, he sounded very doubtful about him returning for the Thanksgiving game. Obviously, I have vested interest on this and hope he doesn't make it, but yeah, Jene's prognosis wasn't good.

I do. Was also gonna mention what Dr Jene said, he sounded very doubtful about him returning for the Thanksgiving game. Obviously, I have vested interest on this and hope he doesn't make it, but yeah, Jene's prognosis wasn't good.
Has Jene seen the Xrays, has Jene ever had Rodgers as a patient? Nope he is talking in general and not about a guy getting 'some sort of something rubbed on his shoulder' every day and some of the best in the business overseeing his recovery. While I am not a doctor and respect opinions of those in the field I also understand that he is talking in general and can have no possible understanding of Rodgers and the conversations the team is having. As far as the schedule, Christmas it did come early Philadelphia and New York was on the schedule the past two weeks, how did that work out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Jene seen the Xrays, has Jene ever had Rodgers as a patient? Nope he is talking in general and not about a guy getting 'some sort of something rubbed on his shoulder' every day and some of the best in the business overseeing his recovery. While I am not a doctor and respect opinions of those in the field I also understand that he is talking in general and can have no possible understanding of Rodgers and the conversations the team is having. As far as the schedule, Christmas it did come early Philadelphia and New York was on the schedule the past two weeks, how did that work out?
Jene never claimed inside knowledge on Rodgers condition. He only speculates with his medical opinion based on his history of seeing injury reports, watching the film of the actual injuries, and the injury report updates to formulate an opinion. He never claimed to be 100% dead on in his speculation, but I'll take his reading of the tea leaves over any of that blue font writing that rotoworld tosses out there.

The thing that worries Dr. Jene is Rodger's worry about falling on it again. That signals (in his opinion) that the collarbone was probably dislodged and set back instead of just a hairline fracture. Again all of this is speculation, based on Rodgers comments. You cling to your witch doctors and I'll cling to Dr Jene. YMMV.

If Rodgers was ruled out this early in week 12, then he's not going to be cleared for a game on Thanksgiving just 4 days after the week 13 game. Week 14 is the best you can hope for here.

If Rodgers was ruled out this early in week 12, then he's not going to be cleared for a game on Thanksgiving just 4 days after the week 13 game. Week 14 is the best you can hope for here.
Pretty good point. Although, he does sound like he is close. Could he play Week 13? Yeah I guess he could. It just sounds like the main thing stopping him right now is the risk of re-injury. Does that risk decrease this time next week? I would think so, but who knows.

Seems like the only issue is the collarbone being dislodged with another hit, and how long it will take for the collarbone to heal back to normal strength so that there is not an increased chance of that dislodgement occurring.

Unfortunately for us Rodgers owners in this situation he misses the rest of the year a fair amount of time. I mean if the Packers are out of the playoff race because they lose the next two games why bring him back at all and risk further injury?

He was ruled out Monday, and the Thanksgiving Day game is 10 days from then. If they had a timetable set then absolutely he can be ruled out this week quickly and be back next week. I am no doctor nor claim to be but have having a broken bone, I know that 10 days is a lot of time as far as healing a bone is concerned. I have been told by a rehab doctor I am familiar with that the fact that he is not in pain and throwing a ball suggests it was not dislodged and just a hairline fracture.

Had to add this, does the fact that Rodgers is throwing and not in pain matter to anyone? Everyone is one play away Rodgers, so is Rodgers reinjury.

GB has already said that if Rodgers gets in some practice late this week, and again next week he will have a shot to play on Thanksgiving. This won't be a GTD.

Be thinking about a backup plan now. If Rodgers doesn't practice late this week, assume he sits on Thanksgiving. If he does practice with no setbacks, assume he plays.

I feel like he will practice at some point this week. I mean if he isn't feeling any pain, why can't he practice? It's not like he will be getting hit in practice, especially now. I feel like if the Packers win this week, we'll se Rodgers on Thanksgiving in a must win game. They can't afford to not play him if he is ready to go. But if they lose this week, I don't think we'll see him again this year since they'll be out of the playoff race.

GB has already said that if Rodgers gets in some practice late this week, and again next week he will have a shot to play on Thanksgiving. This won't be a GTD.

Be thinking about a backup plan now. If Rodgers doesn't practice late this week, assume he sits on Thanksgiving. If he does practice with no setbacks, assume he plays.
Remember he is already throwing in no pain and does not get hit in practice anyways most practices at this point are virtual walkthroughs anyways. I think its funny people think Rodgers needs to practice when he is the guy running the ship and knows exactly whats up.

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers (collarbone) said he would have to get at least one practice in before playing in a game.

Unlike other positions, quarterbacks can't just go into a game cold turkey. If Rodgers is going to play at Detroit on Thanksgiving for Week 13, he said he'll have to get back in practice by that Tuesday. He's been running and tossing the ball without pain, but hasn't even tried to take a snap yet. At this point, owners should just be happy if they get their superstar back for Week 14. Week 13 would be icing on the cake.

Related: Scott Tolzien

Source: ESPN.com

Eh I think Rotoworld is just speculating at this point. If he's throwing and running without pain, I'd imagine a practice isn't too far away. Sure he very well could be out Week 13, but I think it's way too early for anyone, even Rodgers, to know that.

I feel like he will practice at some point this week. I mean if he isn't feeling any pain, why can't he practice? It's not like he will be getting hit in practice, especially now. I feel like if the Packers win this week, we'll se Rodgers on Thanksgiving in a must win game. They can't afford to not play him if he is ready to go. But if they lose this week, I don't think we'll see him again this year since they'll be out of the playoff race.
They still be in it even with a loss this week. If they beat the Lions on Thanksgiving they'll be at worst a game behind the Lions and two games behind the Bears. Everyone in the division would have the same 2-2 divison record.

If the Packers beat the Vikings it gives the Packers the luxury of resting Rodgers against the Lions and bring him back week 14.

FWIW Tony Romo broke his collarbone in week 6 of 2010. He was put on IR on December 21st that year.

This is a franchise that takes the longview. They aren't going to put their Franchise QB at risk in hopes of saving their season.

FWIW Tony Romo broke his collarbone in week 6 of 2010. He was put on IR on December 21st that year.

This is a franchise that takes the longview. They aren't going to put their Franchise QB at risk in hopes of saving their season.
nate burleson Broke his arm in September and he still isnt back yet.

Id be shocked if he plays on thanksgiving. Gotta think even week14/15 are dicey

Dallas was 1-5 after the game Romo went out...they were 5-9 when he was IRd.

Sure...if Rodgers can't come back for 3 more weeks and they have lost every game...its possible they IR him.

Sure...if Rodgers can't come back for 3 more weeks and they have lost every game...its possible they IR him.
Were any of them in no pain and throwing passes 2 1/2 weeks after breaking said collar bone? People are psyching themselves out he will be back week 13 since his team is still in the hunt an have the teams in front of them ahead on the schedule.

Were any of them in no pain and throwing passes 2 1/2 weeks after breaking said collar bone? People are psyching themselves out he will be back week 13 since his team is still in the hunt an have the teams in front of them ahead on the schedule.
Rodgers is too smart to just do it because of that (especially knowing the faults on the OL right now at RT and how bad the defense has been)

When pressed by reporters Friday, coach Mike McCarthy provided no timetable for Aaron Rodgers' (collarbone) return.

"I don't have a timetable for you," he said. Rodgers has been ruled out for Week 12 and is appearing increasingly unlikely to play on Thanksgiving against the Lions. Although Rodgers can run and throw without issue, doctors are worried about the risk of aggravation were Rodgers to play in a game before the collarbone is fully healed. Fantasy owners should continue to cling tightly to Rodgers as an injured QB2. Scott Tolzien is starting in the meantime.

Source: Ty Dunne on Twitter
From Rotoworld:

This is playing out like Dr. Jene Bremel said it would. Foolishness to expect a Turkey day game. And really the no timetable for return designation makes week 14 and 15 seem pretty optimistic to hope for as well. Definitely hold him if you got him, but don't hold your breath waiting on him.

When pressed by reporters Friday, coach Mike McCarthy provided no timetable for Aaron Rodgers' (collarbone) return.

"I don't have a timetable for you," he said. Rodgers has been ruled out for Week 12 and is appearing increasingly unlikely to play on Thanksgiving against the Lions. Although Rodgers can run and throw without issue, doctors are worried about the risk of aggravation were Rodgers to play in a game before the collarbone is fully healed. Fantasy owners should continue to cling tightly to Rodgers as an injured QB2. Scott Tolzien is starting in the meantime.

Source: Ty Dunne on Twitter
From Rotoworld:

This is playing out like Dr. Jene Bremel said it would. Foolishness to expect a Turkey day game. And really the no timetable for return designation makes week 14 and 15 seem pretty optimistic to hope for as well. Definitely hold him if you got him, but don't hold your breath waiting on him.
They aren't going to admit to a timetable even if they had one. I'm betting week 14 is their target.

Not sure if this was posted earlier in this thread but if I were a Rogers owner ... I'd be making other plans

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10002028/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-throw-football-pain

Although Rodgers has repeatedly said there is no timetable for his return, he said Tuesday that the "normal" recovery for a non-athlete with this injury is six to eight weeks.

"We're 15 days outside of a fractured collarbone," Rodgers said. "Put that in the context of a normal healing cycle who's had a similar injury to mine."

So some reports say 4-6 weeks and Rogers says its a 6-8 week injury ... I wouldn't count on week 14 or 15 for that matter, since that will only be week 5 of a 4-8 week injury

Not sure if this was posted earlier in this thread but if I were a Rogers owner ... I'd be making other plans

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10002028/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-throw-football-pain

Although Rodgers has repeatedly said there is no timetable for his return, he said Tuesday that the "normal" recovery for a non-athlete with this injury is six to eight weeks.

"We're 15 days outside of a fractured collarbone," Rodgers said. "Put that in the context of a normal healing cycle who's had a similar injury to mine."

So some reports say 4-6 weeks and Rogers says its a 6-8 week injury ... I wouldn't count on week 14 or 15 for that matter, since that will only be week 5 of a 4-8 week injury
The Packers have nothing to lose by playing him - if he re-injures it, they don't make the playoffs, if he doesn't play, they don't make the playoffs.

So the Packers are damned either way? I think there's a middle ground. Even though the Lions and Bears are ahead of them at 6-4, I think any team with a 7-7 record will be in the hunt for the division. Bears and Lions won't be pulling away from the pack (pun not intended). I think if Tolzien can win a couple of the next 4, which is doable if you look at the schedule, they can risk bringing in Rodgers for week 16.

The Packers have nothing to lose by playing him - if he re-injures it, they don't make the playoffs, if he doesn't play, they don't make the playoffs.
they are not going to take unecessary risks with the franchise player.

Whats the risk? if he gets hurt again he would be lost for the final few games of a lost season i dont understand the risk especially if he does get hurt again he has all off season to recover. these guys take a risk every Sunday and if you think the team is going to give us a timetable you must not understand how the injury reports are always manipulated.

Whats the risk? if he gets hurt again he would be lost for the final few games of a lost season i dont understand the risk especially if he does get hurt again he has all off season to recover. these guys take a risk every Sunday and if you think the team is going to give us a timetable you must not understand how the injury reports are always manipulated.
I'm no doctor, but I recall rodgers explained the risks in his radio show this week:

Rodgers said he also has no pain while running, but he has not attempted to take a snap yet.

"I think the biggest issue is not the pain at this point," Rodgers said. "It is the risk of taking a shot like that and what it would do if [the collarbone] displaced. Obviously, I'd be out for the season and worried about any type of complications going forward."

whats up cllluz?

risk for further injuring the shoulder worse,

If Rodgers re-injured the shoulder lets say, had to have surgery, or plates or screws inserted?

NE brougt Gronk back way too early and it cost em.

I dont think GB will do it with their franchise QB.

broken bones are a 6 week injury give or take, it is what it is

If Rodgers re-injured the shoulder lets say, had to have surgery, or plates or screws inserted?
IIt's a collarbone, it will heal fine.

I have to say I agree with you. Simply not being put on IR and already throwing is very telling. I am supposed to believe he is throwing the ball not in pain and with a chance to still make the playoffs he isnt gonna play because he might get hurt again or hurt it worse? While he may not play in week 13 I have a hard time believing that if he is able even at risk of further injury that he would not play.

I have to say I agree with you. Simply not being put on IR and already throwing is very telling. I am supposed to believe he is throwing the ball not in pain and with a chance to still make the playoffs he isnt gonna play because he might get hurt again or hurt it worse? While he may not play in week 13 I have a hard time believing that if he is able even at risk of further injury that he would not play.
Wow !!! lot of fantasy football insanity in this thread.

There is 0% chance that GB will put Rogers out there if there is any more risk of him re injuring his collarbone or making it worse.

We are talking about possibly the most valuable player in the league and you think they would risk him displacing his collarbone so that your fantasy team has a chance.

Did you even read the article?

He said ...

"I think the biggest issue is not the pain at this point," Rodgers said. "It is the risk of taking a shot like that and what it would do if [the collarbone] displaced. Obviously, I'd be out for the season and worried about any type of complications going forward."

Wow !!! lot of fantasy football insanity in this thread.

There is 0% chance that GB will put Rogers out there if there is any more risk of him re injuring his collarbone or making it worse.

We are talking about possibly the most valuable player in the league and you think they would risk him displacing his collarbone so that your fantasy team has a chance.

Did you even read the article?

He said ...

Not true you must be the only one thinking fantasy I recall mentioning his real team and a shot at the playoffs maybe I'm wrong. You may be jaded by how they speak in the media but I am not we are mislead all the time. Ones choice to believe what they want I suppose.

If they lose to Minn this weekend his season is over... If they win and then lose to Detroit next week, at 6-6 with 5 weeks of rest, I could see him playing.

SRSLY. It's not his shoulder, fer chrissakes! The drama up in here.

Full disclosure: I picked up Keenum and traded Dalton for the OUT Rodgers in my $$ league in a last ditch effort to drag my struggling ### into the playoffs. :bag:

(no thanks to Roddy, Dwayne, TRich and fading Allen and Ellington)

Full disclosure: I picked up Keenum and traded Dalton for the OUT Rodgers in my $$ league in a last ditch effort to drag my struggling ### into the playoffs. :bag:

I agree, but if they are basically eliminated (5-7 in NFC), there is no reason to bring him back...

I traded for him the week before he got hurt, so I hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem probable.

I agree, but if they are basically eliminated (5-7 in NFC), there is no reason to bring him back...

I traded for him the week before he got hurt, so I hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem probable.
They might as well already be eliminated from the WC. The division though is still up for grabs. So just losing on its own this week does not "eliminate them".

What Detroit and Chicago do are important (since there are still two games for GB against them)

They might as well already be eliminated from the WC. The division though is still up for grabs. So just losing on its own this week does not "eliminate them".

What Detroit and Chicago do are important (since there are still two games for GB against them)
That's exactly what I'm saying - they've got Minn this week, & it looks doubtful he'll be back by Thanksgiving (where they play Det)... If they lose both and are 5-7, it looks like the division is lost and I'd say his season might be over at that point. I hope he plays next week, but that wouldn't fit the timeline of a broken collarbone.

Why even let it heal? Just have it removed. It's possible to live a completely normal life without a collarbone. That one dude cut off his finger to play in the Super Bowl, that's something he misses every day. Life without a collarbone you wouldn't even notice. He could even get a side job in the off season pulling little children out of wells.

That's exactly what I'm saying - they've got Minn this week, & it looks doubtful he'll be back by Thanksgiving (where they play Det)... If they lose both and are 5-7, it looks like the division is lost and I'd say his season might be over at that point. I hope he plays next week, but that wouldn't fit the timeline of a broken collarbone.
The timeline is meaningless at this point. He's going to play if it's necessary, regardless of the risk to his collarbone. I think they beat the Vikings but if they lose I can't imagine Rodgers sitting out the Lions game.

Rotoworld:

According to FOX's Jay Glazer, the Packers are "holding out hope" Aaron Rodgers (collarbone) can play on Thanksgiving.
The Packers' medical staff and doctors will reevaluate Rodgers Monday to see where his fractured collarbone is at. Given the short week, owners shouldn't be overly optimistic. Rodgers previously said that he would have to practice on Tuesday in order to suit up, so we'll know his status nice and early. A Week 13 return should be considered a bonus. Fractured bones typically take 4-6 weeks to heal, and Rodgers has only been out three weeks so far.

Related: Scott Tolzien

Tolzien benched. Matt Flynn in now. I have to think if he's even close to healthy, he's going Thursday. Otherwise their season is over.

Not a tie for first now...I guess the Pack is a half game back.

Makes it interesting for sure.
I spoke too soon.

Rodgers needs to play next week now. A win against the Lions would give them a .5 game lead on the Bears if they get beaten by the Vikings. Even if the Bears beat the Vikes they have a showdown against them week 17 that could be for the division title.

If the Packers beat the Lions, Falcons, Bears and one of the Cowboys or Steelers they most likely win the division.

Users who are viewing this thread