What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Official Aaron Rodgers injury thread ***** (1 Viewer)

Rodgers first few comments -

"I'm in some pain"

"I have a fractured collar bone"

"Relative to what's been reported, we haven't talked at all about timetable"

"There's not a specific type of rehab you can do for this"

"I feel like I have been a quick healer in the past"
None of this sounds good, not ready to cut in redraft, but for sure preparing to be without ARod for rest of season.

Fractured collarbone? He will not be back in 3 weeks, I'm not a doctor nor have a team of doctors with state of art healing powers... but 3 weeks is not enough time to recover properly from a fractured collarbone.

In my uneducated opinion.

I hate to sound like a nay-sayer, but the issue is it's a broken bone. Broken bones historically take 4-6 weeks - minimum. There is almost no way to "play through it" or "tape it up and go play" - it's a bone . Now, the severity of the break obviously makes a difference (which I think is what this "we need more tests to get a timeline" issue is). Honestly, I would be surprised if he was back before December.

MattFancy said:
Now I'm no doctor, but I've seen similar shoulder injuries and even had one myself when I played in HS. Here's my uneducated opinion:

If it is indeed broken, wouldn't they have been able to diagnosis that from the x-rays? I remember in HS when our QB broke his collarbone, he was in serious pain and they put his shoulder in a sling right away. Rodgers ran off the field w/o favoring his shoulder and then came back on the field later sans sling.

Now I could be completely wrong, but I don't think it's broken (or at least hope for my fantasy teams sake). I think he probably has a sprain or maybe tiny fracture. If it's a sprain, he could play through it. Brady played through a similar injury and I believe Rodgers has already played through a sprain. I guess we'll know more today. But I don't think it's as severe as some others.
What is likely going on here is the clavicle is out of place on the x-ray. It probably doesn't show a fracture, but they are trying to determine why his clavicle is moved. This also likely rules out an AC injury, as those are easy to diagnose with imaging. My guess: SC sprain/ligament tear. Think Big Ben's injury from last year. I think they gave him a 6 week time table, but he was back in 3-4 weeks.

Aaron Rodgers (QB) GB - Nov 05

Rodgers confirmed that he does indeed have a fractured collarbone, NFL.com reports.

As far as a timetable for return, Rodgers said on his weekly radio show that he does not have one yet, "regardless of what's been reported." ESPN's Adam Schefter suggested early Tuesday that Rodgers will be out up to three weeks with the injury. Perhaps the situation will become clearer in the coming days, but fantasy owners should plan to be without Rodgers for at least one game, and likely more.

My guess 5 weeks. I also read somewhere else - sorry no link that the Packers will not reach out to Matt Flynn as they feel the elbow injury he suffered is still affecting his play. Thus being dropped by Oakland and Buffalo

I wonder if they're not messing with their opponents ala Tampa Bay not IRing Doug Martin
You seriously think the Packers would resort to the kind of foolish-stuff-that-sounds-sneaky-but-really-is-counterproductive BS that people generally attribute to the Mighty Schianos?

Man hope he comes back for Thanksgiving game vs Detroit for our sake and for GB's sake. They are still in the playoff hunt but if he misses more than 2 games, they are certainly out in that tight division...

I thinking season over, you can't rehab this type of an injury it just has to heal and get strong, I would rather err on side of caution then risk another injury to the most important Packer. Heal well, heal well Mr. Rogers

Broken Collar Bone?

4-6 IMO best case scenario. I am no doctor....but it's a broken bone in a very vunerable area.

He should be back for the NFL Playoffs (best case scenario).....if they make it in.

If they roll with Wallace......they probably won't.

So....Matt Flynnn.....to the red phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just hope he's as quick a healer as Jay Cutler.
I think Cutler is rushing back.

Torn Groin?He is begging to make it worse....I would not be surprised to see Cutler re-injure or really make what is still probably a tear...even worse.

That is really fast for a torn groin muscle.

Here's what RotoWorld said. No timetable. We'll have to wait and see how he feels coming up.

Speaking on his Tuesday radio show, Aaron Rodgers confirmed he has a broken collarbone, and declined to speculate on his return date.

Advice: "It's a difficult injury because there's not a specific type of rehab," Rodgers said. "Holding out hope this will be a quick heal, but this is a significant injury." Rodgers revealed he actually tried to re-enter Monday's game, but that the pain was too severe. Despite terming his injury as significant, Rodgers is optimistic he can get back soon. "I feel like I've been a quick healer in the past. Hopefully this will be on the short end." The best we can tell, Rodgers will be sidelined at least the next three weeks, and is 50-50, at best, for Green Bay's Thanksgiving trip to Detroit.

I thinking season over, you can't rehab this type of an injury it just has to heal and get strong, I would rather err on side of caution then risk another injury to the most important Packer. Heal well, heal well Mr. Rogers
If he plays and damages it again he can take 9+ months to let it heal. It's not something that will hurt him long-term even if he breaks it worse.

Broken Collar Bone?

4-6 IMO best case scenario. I am no doctor....but it's a broken bone in a very vunerable area.

He should be back for the NFL Playoffs (best case scenario).....if they make it in.
The Lions game is very optimistic (only 24 days) but the Falcons game is a day short of 5 weeks. My gut feeling is that he misses 4 games and plays against the Falcons.

Fear of re-injury won't be an issue with a broken collar bone. His bone will be even stronger than before the break once it has healed. The only possible issue keeping him out 6 weeks from now will be pain. It's an extremely painful injury and until it's healed he will have difficultly making a throwing motion. However, the time it takes to heal will depend on the severity of the fracture. It could be as little as 3-4 weeks or as much as 7-8 weeks.

If he plays and damages it again he can take 9+ months to let it heal. It's not something that will hurt him long-term even if he breaks it worse.
Right. If he breaks it again, it has no impact on next season.

I have a feeling his time table for coming back will directly correlate to their record and mathematical chances to make the playoffs.

Aaron Rodgers - QB - Packers
Speaking Tuesday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he was "relieved" by Aaron Rodgers' broken collarbone diagnosis, and that "everybody felt better about it" after getting "new information" on Tuesday.
McCarthy said the team is in a "week-to-week mindset" with its starting quarterback. McCarthy refused to even rule out Rodgers for Week 10, but strongly suggested Seneca Wallace will start against the Eagles. Broken collarbones can often to be 4-6 week injuries, but reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like Rodgers suffered a full break. It certainly helps matters that the injury is to his non-throwing shoulder. There's still a frustrating vagueness to the whole affair, but it sounds like there's a real chance Rodgers is back under center before the month is through.

Source: Tyler Dunne on Twitter
Nov 5 - 5:59 PM

If it's just a hairline fracture, he'll won't miss more than 4 games tops and won't miss less than 3.

i'm just pissed looking at his schedule. this week would have been PHI, next NYG and then MIN. they all give up huge points to opposing QB. d'oh!

I'd definitely buy low on Rodgers while you can IF you have the depth to make the playoffs while waiting for him. Swinging for the fences for Rodgers in redrafts is a chance I'd be willing to take if I don't have a top 3-5 QB.

We're in week 10, if he misses exactly 4 weeks then you'd be starting him in Week 14 vs ATL if your team makes the playoffs. Personally, I'd be 100% confident starting him IF he practiced all week leading into that game. If you happen to have a BYE in week 14, you have the luxury of seeing how he performs in week 14 before he plays....wait for it, the Cowboys in Week 15.

Worst case, lose your backup QB and maybe some bench fodder, I wouldn't give up integral pieces of my starting lineup for him obviously.

Sweetness_34 said:
Rodgers is a ###### for not playing.... Karma is great. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Hopefully we ended the packers season tonight...
the :e: trolls can say what they want about me being like this guy...but you would never see me being the homer he is...nor would you ever see me post something this stupid.
Paging Brett Favre
He may actually have a pager...if he can remember where he put it.
Nah, they just climb to the top of Lambeau and project a giant silhouette of a c###shot into the sky.

I hate to sound like a nay-sayer, but the issue is it's a broken bone. Broken bones historically take 4-6 weeks - minimum. There is almost no way to "play through it" or "tape it up and go play" - it's a bone . Now, the severity of the break obviously makes a difference (which I think is what this "we need more tests to get a timeline" issue is). Honestly, I would be surprised if he was back before December.
Today at Rotoworld:

A source tells FOX Sports that Aaron Rodgers' (collarbone) timetable is roughly 4-6 weeks.
Broken bones typically take 4-6 weeks to heal.

:coffee:

Tolzien Signed to Active Roster

by Bill Huber of PackerReport.com, November 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm ET

Scott Tolzien Profile

The Green Bay Packers have signed Scott Tolzien to the roster, a source told Packer Report on Wednesday morning.

The team has not announced the signing but will do so before Wednesday afternoon’s practice.

The Packers had an open roster spot after putting Jermichael Finley and Sam Barrington on injured reserve and activating Derek Sherrod from the physically unable to perform list. Barring another transaction – there seems to be nothing brewing with Matt Flynn – Tolzien will be Seneca Wallace’s backup on Sunday against Philadelphia.

The Packers signed Tolzien to the practice squad before the Week 1 game against his former team, San Francisco. Tolzien, who led Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl during a record-setting 2010, went undrafted in 2011. He spent camp with San Diego in 2011 and was a backup quarterback for San Francisco in 2011 and 2012.

Cleveland recently tried to sign Tolzien to its 53-man roster but the Packers kept him by increasing his practice-squad pay from $6,000 per week to about $32,000 per week – the minimum for a player on the active roster. The Browns, no doubt, watched Tolzien’s extensive pregame workout before the teams played on Oct. 20.

The Browns liked Tolzien enough that they tried to sign him off the practice squad. If Seneca flops they could give him a chance.

Today at Rotoworld:

A source tells FOX Sports that Aaron Rodgers' (collarbone) timetable is roughly 4-6 weeks.

It doesn't sound like it's "broken" in the typical sense though. From what I've read, it's more of a "chip", now what that means I don't know. If it's not a full break, it may not take as long.

Today at Rotoworld:

It doesn't sound like it's "broken" in the typical sense though. From what I've read, it's more of a "chip", now what that means I don't know. If it's not a full break, it may not take as long.
Don't worry, you'll find out soon enough. There's alot of internet doctors on this site.

Today at Rotoworld:

Don't worry, you'll find out soon enough. There's alot of internet doctors on this site.
True that...and plenty of Rodgers owners, J. Nelson owners and Packer homers that want to post hopes and dreams as medical fact as well, or a story about knowing this guy who knew this dude who had a fractured leg and was walking in three days.

Today at Rotoworld:

True that...and plenty of Rodgers owners, J. Nelson owners and Packer homers that want to post hopes and dreams as medical fact as well, or a story about knowing this guy who knew this dude who had a fractured leg and was walking in three days.
Well technically since this is on is left shoulder, can't he just play without a collarbone? I mean just suck it up Rodgers!

I'd definitely buy low on Rodgers while you can IF you have the depth to make the playoffs while waiting for him. Swinging for the fences for Rodgers in redrafts is a chance I'd be willing to take if I don't have a top 3-5 QB.

We're in week 10, if he misses exactly 4 weeks then you'd be starting him in Week 14 vs ATL if your team makes the playoffs. Personally, I'd be 100% confident starting him IF he practiced all week leading into that game. If you happen to have a BYE in week 14, you have the luxury of seeing how he performs in week 14 before he plays....wait for it, the Cowboys in Week 15.

Worst case, lose your backup QB and maybe some bench fodder, I wouldn't give up integral pieces of my starting lineup for him obviously.
What is his value once he comes back? Is he a top 3 option? The reason I ask is he hasn't quite been the same Rodgers this year as far as stats go due to their emphasis on the running game. Any homers/owners have any insight on how Rodgers historically plays in the end of the season?

What is his value once he comes back? Is he a top 3 option? The reason I ask is he hasn't quite been the same Rodgers this year as far as stats go due to their emphasis on the running game. Any homers/owners have any insight on how Rodgers historically plays in the end of the season?
He was huge last year in weeks 14-16 with 10 TD's and no INT's.

he plays awesomely all the time

GB will be fine without him. Rodgers is merely a "system" quarterback in a lucky situation. Give the next guy up a week of practice and he'll look just as good.
Welp, I was right... Seneca Wallace was 5/5 before his injury. Looked great out there. But obviously Tolzien is not adequately prepped, give him a full week of reps with first team in practice and he'll look great out there, too.

Appearing on his weekly radio show Tuesday, Aaron Rodgers (collarbone) admitted playing this week against the Giants is "not going to happen."

Not surprising. "I haven't given up hope on playing any week. It depends on how I heal," Rodgers said. "Obviously this week is probably not going to happen. Not going to happen." Rodgers did say that Tuesday is the best he's felt since breaking his collarbone two Mondays ago. He's now sleeping through the night and is able to put his socks on without being in extreme pain. Coach Mike McCarthy said Monday that he thinks Rodgers is still a "couple weeks away." Scott Tolzien will start against the G-Men. Rodgers likely has his eye on a Week 13 return against the Lions on Thanksgiving. That'd be a best-case scenario.

Is just now able to put socks on without extreme pain and hes gonna be on the field in 15 days.....ok

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers (broken left collarbone) can run and throw without issue, but would be at risk of further injury if he suited up for Week 12.

"I think the biggest issue is not the pain at this point," Rodgers said Tuesday. "It is the risk of taking a shot like that and what it would do if (the collarbone) displaced. Obviously, I'd be out for the season and worried about any type of complications going forward." Rodgers refused to officially rule himself out for Sunday's game, but referenced Dumb and Dumber ("so you're saying there's a chance") when talking about his odds of suiting up. Rodgers won't be active against the Vikings, and is 50-50, at best, for Green Bay's Thanksgiving showdown with the Lions.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers (broken left collarbone) can run and throw without issue, but would be at risk of further injury if he suited up for Week 12.

"I think the biggest issue is not the pain at this point," Rodgers said Tuesday. "It is the risk of taking a shot like that and what it would do if (the collarbone) displaced. Obviously, I'd be out for the season and worried about any type of complications going forward." Rodgers refused to officially rule himself out for Sunday's game, but referenced Dumb and Dumber ("so you're saying there's a chance") when talking about his odds of suiting up. Rodgers won't be active against the Vikings, and is 50-50, at best, for Green Bay's Thanksgiving showdown with the Lions.

classic rotoworld.... calling the thanksgiving game a 50-50 shot is OVERLY optimistic.... read the actual quotes....

"Have you seen Dumb and Dumber?" Rodgers said, "when he's asking her about the chances (for a date) …"

Of course, that's when Lauren Holly's character tells Jim Carey's character that those chances are "more like one in a million," to which Carey's character replies, "so you're telling me there's a chance."

"For that to happen, I would have to be on the field two days before the game," Rodgers said. "So it would be Friday this week or Tuesday of next week [before the Thanksgiving game at Detroit], practicing. If that's the case, then there's a chance. If not, then I will be spectating."
sounds like to me there is no way he plays Thanksgiving.... just going off your typical collarbone fracture timeframe, we'd be extremely fortunate to see him back week 14

iamkoza said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

classic rotoworld.... calling the thanksgiving game a 50-50 shot is OVERLY optimistic.... read the actual quotes....

"Have you seen Dumb and Dumber?" Rodgers said, "when he's asking her about the chances (for a date) …"

Of course, that's when Lauren Holly's character tells Jim Carey's character that those chances are "more like one in a million," to which Carey's character replies, "so you're telling me there's a chance."

"For that to happen, I would have to be on the field two days before the game," Rodgers said. "So it would be Friday this week or Tuesday of next week [before the Thanksgiving game at Detroit], practicing. If that's the case, then there's a chance. If not, then I will be spectating."
sounds like to me there is no way he plays Thanksgiving.... just going off your typical collarbone fracture timeframe, we'd be extremely fortunate to see him back week 14
I do not agree with anything you said. No shot? I think if he is tossing the ball and not feeling pain and he has to practice a week from now to play in a major division game, 50/50 is not only accurate, its being generous on the not playing side. It also is obvious that they will not telegraph their decision if they will play Rodgers until then. He will be almost 4 weeks removed last I checked people get their casts off arms and legs and others parts that have casts then. I think you are hoping more than you are accurate. If he wasnt gonna be back for Thanksgiving, why bring him back at all and not just IR him because their season will be over. They lose to Minnesota they will not be able to afford another loss. I think the thing that makes great fantasy players is seeing that, not listening to a rotoworld blurb and taking it as fact.

Sounds like he's really close. I think he'll definitely be back for the Thanksgiving game against Detroit. If he's already throwing and not having any pain, then I think he's good to go. Sounds like he's just worried about what will happen if he gets hit like that again. So another week of healing and he should be good to go.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

IMHO, that there is the wild card in this equation.

I read into the latest news that he will be back pretty soon. If not this week, next week for sure. ..
Speculation I read yesterday was to watch this week. If he practices or tries to Friday...then goes again next Tuesday...he will try and push for Thanksgiving.

If they win this week without him...and Detroit somehow loses to TB, I could see them sitting him for Thanksgiving for sure in hopes to sneak that one out and get another week of rest.

Its probably best (stating the obvious) for him to rest one more week.

I read into the latest news that he will be back pretty soon. If not this week, next week for sure. ..
Speculation I read yesterday was to watch this week. If he practices or tries to Friday...then goes again next Tuesday...he will try and push for Thanksgiving.If they win this week without him...and Detroit somehow loses to TB, I could see them sitting him for Thanksgiving for sure in hopes to sneak that one out and get another week of rest.

Its probably best (stating the obvious) for him to rest one more week.
Agree winning and losing this week will have alot to do with it

Sounds like he's really close. I think he'll definitely be back for the Thanksgiving game against Detroit. If he's already throwing and not having any pain, then I think he's good to go. Sounds like he's just worried about what will happen if he gets hit like that again. So another week of healing and he should be good to go.
Easy to protect a guy from getting hit if Mannings horrible line can protect him. Rodgers is an elite player he knows when to get rid of the ball and he can refrain from scrambling. I see a lot of 3 step drops or shot gun with quick slants and outs or dump offs plus throw it up and let Jordy go get it. ARod is someone you need at the line calling plays and reading defenses. Protecting him through coaching and just being smart is easy since he is a QB and not a WR or RB.

What I find odd is we all watch football, yet some still doubt that Rodgers will be back next week for a pivotal division game a virtual must win and some still dont think he will be back.

Users who are viewing this thread