What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (4 Viewers)

Also just finished Peace Like a River, which I loved. Though an atheist, I enjoyed the religious overtones throughout the book and felt the book was one of the best I've read in a long, long time. Simple and eloquent writing style that made you feel like you were there.
I loved this one, too. I'm not religious, but the Christian themes didn't bother me either. In fact, it was easy for me to think of them in a more generic "spiritual" way. Hell, even filtering them as "magic" works.I've got one of his more recent books - "So Young, So Brave...." - which is next on my list.

So Cold the River - Michael Koryta

might remind you of The Shining
ok, maybe a poor man's Shining. The plot climax didn't live up to the lead-in. But there is a spooky old hotel and an increasingly obsessive guy seeing things. i'd still recommend the book, but temper your expectations.
Amazon keeps recommending this one for me. I've got it saved on my Kindle "wish list". How was the writing style itself? Some horror/supernatural books are written so poorly that even a good plot can't save it for me. But a well-written book lets me overlook some plotting flaws.

ok, maybe a poor man's Shining. The plot climax didn't live up to the lead-in. But there is a spooky old hotel and an increasingly obsessive guy seeing things. i'd still recommend the book, but temper your expectations.
Amazon keeps recommending this one for me. I've got it saved on my Kindle "wish list". How was the writing style itself? Some horror/supernatural books are written so poorly that even a good plot can't save it for me. But a well-written book lets me overlook some plotting flaws.
it's well written. i tore through it, which is a good sign.

it's well written. i tore through it, which is a good sign.
Great - thanks. I'm gonna give it a try. The Amazon reviews are almost all 4/5 stars.

Also just finished Peace Like a River, which I loved. Though an atheist, I enjoyed the religious overtones throughout the book and felt the book was one of the best I've read in a long, long time. Simple and eloquent writing style that made you feel like you were there.
I loved this one, too. I'm not religious, but the Christian themes didn't bother me either. In fact, it was easy for me to think of them in a more generic "spiritual" way. Hell, even filtering them as "magic" works.I've got one of his more recent books - "So Young, So Brave...." - which is next on my list.
Peace Like a River is my all-time favorite read. Not the best book i've ever read (that would be Brothers Karamozov), but the one i most enjoyed reading.

Read "When March Went Mad" by Seth Davis over the last week or so. It's centered around the 1979 NCAA men's basketball championship game: big conference power Michigan State (led by Earvin "Magic" Johnson) versus undefeated mid-major Indiana State (led by Larry Bird).

The book itself was all right. It spent more time flashing back and flashing forward on the MSU and ISU teams and players than I was expecting, and less on the business side of televised college basketball than I'd hoped. The bio stuff about Magic and Bird was pretty good, and the explanation how they finally became friends after years of knowing each other as opponents was entertaining. I'm a bit skeptical about the degree of accuracy of some of the Bird stuff during his time between IU and ISU, but if accurate, it's extraordinary how close the sport came to never seeing Bird play high-level basketball.

Some sports books are compelling even if you're not a fan of the sport. This is not one of those books.
I haven't read this book but it's been documented before that Bird's basketball career almost ended completely when he left IU.

I'm onto "Devil In The White City" by Erik Larson. This was hyped up pretty good 6 or 7 years ago. I always wanted to check it out, but just now am finally getting around to it.

It's a non-fiction work that follows two men - one, the main architect of Chicago's "White City" for the 1893 World's Fair and the other a serial killer who offed somewhere between 20 & 200 people in Chicago during the same time period. I'm only about 10% in, but it's apparent Larson did his homework. It actually reads like a work of fiction with the exception that there's no real dialogue between characters - in it's place are quotes from newspapers, official documents, memoirs, etc...
Loved this book.
Me too. Lots of interesting little details about Chicago and various people (e.g., Disney).

War by Sebastian Junger was a quick, eye-opening, entertaining read about a platoon in Afghanistan.

If you've never read the Foundation series by Asimov, I think you should if you have any interest in sci-fi whatsoever.

Just read one of my son's young adult books, "The Hunger Games," which is totally compelling. It's pretty much "The Running Man" meets "Lord of the Flies." I highly recommend it. The sequel is due out next week.
I read this and the second one over the last three days. Good stuff AND part three is coming out Aug. 24. I also just started The Alchemyst by Mike Scott :splitter:

War by Sebastian Junger was a quick, eye-opening, entertaining read about a platoon in Afghanistan.

If you've never read the Foundation series by Asimov, I think you should if you have any interest in sci-fi whatsoever.
Hmm, like his stuff. Didn't know he had another one out.

Apes with Guns said:
ConstruxBoy said:
Apes with Guns said:

Hmm, like his stuff. Didn't know he had another one out.
yes, but you can just wait for the movie: http://www.restrepothemovie.com/
Cool.

JFT Ben said:
I finished Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which melded historical facts with vampire hunting. Entertaining and generally a light read. Recommend it for those who enjoy history.
:shrug:

JFT Ben said:
I finished Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which melded historical facts with vampire hunting. Entertaining and generally a light read. Recommend it for those who enjoy history.

:thumbup: As a fundamentalist wacko, I felt the same way. One of the classiest approaches to addressing issues of faith I've read in a novel in a long, long time.

I'm onto "Devil In The White City" by Erik Larson. This was hyped up pretty good 6 or 7 years ago. I always wanted to check it out, but just now am finally getting around to it.

It's a non-fiction work that follows two men - one, the main architect of Chicago's "White City" for the 1893 World's Fair and the other a serial killer who offed somewhere between 20 & 200 people in Chicago during the same time period. I'm only about 10% in, but it's apparent Larson did his homework. It actually reads like a work of fiction with the exception that there's no real dialogue between characters - in it's place are quotes from newspapers, official documents, memoirs, etc...
Loved this book.
Me too. Lots of interesting little details about Chicago and various people (e.g., Disney).
I'm about 1/3 through & it's growing on me all the time. Not that the beginning is bad or anything - as I said above, the narration/dialogue ratio is out of whack compared to what I'm used to and I think it just took me a bit to get used to the flow.Anyway, things are heating up now. The buildings are starting to go up, with all of the problems inherent in the construction. I have maybe a little more interest in the construction part of the story as that's my profession (it's amazing that some of the techniques used 120 years ago are used today to determine soil capacities :lmao: ), but it's not pages of dry text & I think is written with the layperson in mind.

As for Holmes - I don't recall ever hearing about this nutball before and I wonder why. He's a first-rate sicko. He also has balls the size of Texas.

in one of my plate-spinning modes, where i juggle several books...

The Afterword - Mike Bryan - over-clever gimmick of an afterword to a fictional work of fiction called The Diety Next Door. Really, mostly a means for the author to offer follow-up thoughts to his earlier work (which i recommend) called Chapter & Verse (an agnostic journalist immerses himself in Criswell College, a sociological experiment among fundamentalist Christians)

Await Your Reply - Dan Chaon - just started this. Amazon calls it a "literary masterwork with the momentum of a thriller."

God and Country: How Evangelicals have become America's New Mainstream - written in 2006. a fair look, but not expertly argued (in my view, evangelicals have become mainstream, but aren't THE mainstream, as the subtitle suggests)

Back of the Napkin - Dan Roam - a much needed voice in the business world, exhorting us to use more simple drawings, and fewer "mega-deck" powerpoints. Thought he had a video up on TED, but can't find it now.

Waiting for Teddy Williams - Howard Frank Mosher - a baseball fanatic kid from Vermont, searching for his father. sort of a cross between Keillor and Kinsella.

Setting The Table by Danny Meyer - NYC Restaurant Guru.

It's billed as a general business book and there are some general principle stuff that translates but it's much more focused (as you'd expect) on the Restaurant business. About half way through but very good.

J

About 100 pages into George RR Martin's A Clash of Kings. Not sure if I'm turning into a fantasy nerd, but this series is AWESOME.
Not sure what's going on, because this book keeps putting me to sleep, but I love it. I'm averaging about 2 pages a night. Maybe by the time I'm done Martin will be done with the series.

Been going through the list of those I have yet to read but probably should have read by now.

Just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, it's an instant favorite of mine. Can't wait to watch the movie now finally.

I've just started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. So far I like the style and structure.

About 100 pages into George RR Martin's A Clash of Kings. Not sure if I'm turning into a fantasy nerd, but this series is AWESOME.
Not sure what's going on, because this book keeps putting me to sleep, but I love it. I'm averaging about 2 pages a night. Maybe by the time I'm done Martin will be done with the series.
I keep going to sleep reading it too, but that's because I keep reading it WAY past the time I should be going to sleep.

I keep going to sleep reading it too, but that's because I keep reading it WAY past the time I should be going to sleep.
That's what happened to me, too. From Martin's recent (admittedly cryptic) remarks, it sounds like he may be coming down the homestretch on ADWD. Of course, he also said he hoped he'd have it out "next year" when AFFC was published - back in 2005.

That's what happened to me, too.
That's probably my problem, but why is it happening to us all with this particular book? I've never had this much trouble staying awake reading before.

The Killing Kind

My FIL had this book lying around the last time I was over there, and I made the fortunate mistake of picking it up and reading the first few pages while I was grilling. Since I have to finish any book I start, I kept on reading, and roughly 100 pages in it's been a solid read so far. Creepy and haunting, yet I can't stop turning pages.

Finished Confederacy of Dunces. Pretty good read. At times it was great, at other times it grated on my nerves, but it ended up being a great book with good characters.

Moving on to "What the Dead Know" by Laura Lippman. Halfway through, good read so far.

I also picked up Kite Runner from the recommendation here, although it sounds kind of heavy to me. The thing that convinced me was that it seemed like everyone said it was better than they expected, so I must not be the only person who had reservations about it. If I end up liking it, I'll post about it later.
Bump.I don't see a post from you with a review, so perhaps you didn't like it. I started it a couple days ago and can't put it down. Woke up in the middle of the night last night and ended up reading for three hours. Definitely not my usual fare, but it's a very good read so far (I'm about 60% through it).

I stumbled upon Grisham's Painted House, a story about cotton farming in Arkansas as told in first-person by the 7-year old son. I remembered liking some of his other more action/drama lawyer works, but this one is different. Perhaps it's because I just finished Peace Like a River (narrated by the 11-year old main character) which had so much texture and warmth, but this book is falling flat so far (I'm about half way through). It's very linear story telling without much description or detail, characters not really developed, etc. Very meh, not recommended.

Finished Contagious, which is the sequel to Infected.

I liked it a lot, in fact I enjoyed it more than Infected.

Perry is a lot more likeable in this one (plus he never says 'no bout a doubt it'), and there is a ton more action.

It kept me guessing.

I'd be pretty excited to see what happens with these in terms of making a movie. Could be pretty cool.

Also finished Alas, Babylon.

It was good, but somewhat forgettable. Well written and holds up very well over many years.

Will be tackling The Passage next.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stumbled upon Grisham's Painted House, a story about cotton farming in Arkansas as told in first-person by the 7-year old son. I remembered liking some of his other more action/drama lawyer works, but this one is different. Perhaps it's because I just finished Peace Like a River (narrated by the 11-year old main character) which had so much texture and warmth, but this book is falling flat so far (I'm about half way through). It's very linear story telling without much description or detail, characters not really developed, etc. Very meh, not recommended.
Really, a poorly written book by Grisham? I'm shocked, shcoked I tell you. The next thing you know you'll be telling me you can find the subtext or deeper meaning in a Patterson work.

Not sure how I felt about the ending, but still really liked The Handmaid's Tale. Would recommend it to anybody who hasn't tried Atwood or who like the dystopian-type fiction.

After a couple days I am about 1/2 way through Slash. Fairly quick reading, and it's interesting to hear pre-Appetite stories or what some of the songs were about.

Just finished Deep Fathom. I love me some James Rollins. (Who by the way just announced he's got a movie deal in the works for Sigma Force.)

Finished Lost City of Z last night. Really liked it a lot. Read some reviews that , but those are silly nit picks IMO. Fascinating story and well told.

Now onto The Echo Maker by Richard Powers, a National Book Award winner.
This was an OK read that started off well but I became bored by the end and cheated a bit by skipping about 30 pages to get to the bottom of the underlying 'mystery'. Very nice descriptive prose but I felt like the characters were a bit stiff, and one of the main character's had a storyline just wasn't as interesting as the others. It was one of that character's passages that I skipped.Reading Phillip Roth's Pulitzer-winning American Pastoral now. Halfway through and I'm more impressed with this Roth work than any other that I've read (Portnoy's Complaint, Everyman, The Plot Against America) in terms of the writing.

Also finished Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden during vacation. Loved it. In some ways the reviews I saw that said it wasn't as good as Black Hawk Down or Killing Pablo because he didn't have as much detailed information from the students, like he did from the Somalians and the Colombians were correct. But I don't think it was a fault of the author, just a fact of the still chilled relations there (as opposed to the obvious wealth of info from all sides that we saw in the "Two Escobars" documentary).

But my main fascination with the book was with Carter and the 1980 election. I had forgotten a lot of the details about that. I know that Carter had some other issues, but it seems like the Iran Hostage Crisis is what lost him the election. I've always heard he wasn't tough enough as President, but I'm wondering: What should he have done? What would Reagan or Teddy Kennedy have done? They criticized him in the media of course, but it sounded like neither had answers when asked directly what they would do differently. So I'm wondering what people think Carter should have done? Was it his fault our helicopter crashed into our plane at Desert One during the rescue attempt?

Maybe not the thread for this conversation, but just wanted to get some opinions from people here. If there are a lot of replies, I'll start a new thread on it.

Just finished up Slash.

Ended up getting stale towards the end. Surprisingly, there's only so many drug and sex stories I can read about - I was more interested in learning stuff about the songs and music but feel like to get that you had to wade through too much filler. 400+ pages is a little long for a book like this.

Any good non-fiction spy books? The Russian spy ring has interested me.
Two books that I couldn't put down:Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner- A history of the CIA

See no Evil by Bob Baer- Baer was a CIA operative in the Middle East and Central Asia- this is his autobiography which served as the very loose basis for the movie Syriana.

Edited to add a third book: Ghost Wars by Steve Coll- a history of the CIA in Afghanistan.

Started The Road last night. So far so good.
Update? I'm really interested to hear what you have to say. My son was about 8 when I read it, and I found it to be probably the most moving, painful meditation on fatherly love I've ever read. My reserve copy of "The Passage" came into the library yesterday, and I stayed up late last night reading it, and got up early to do some more before work. Loving it. It's pretty much a direct knockoff of The Stand so far, but really, really well done.

Next up is A Visit from the Goon Squad, which was the lead review in yesterday's NY Times and sounds good to me.

Actually both books were my reserves, but my wife wanted to read one. So I asked, "Do you want the post-modern one written by a woman that uses interlocking rock-and-roll stories that range backward and forward over 40 years to meditate on love and regret, or the 800-page one about vampires in the future?" Which is why I'm reading The Passage first.

Just cracked the cover on "Let the Right One In." I hope its as good as the movie.
Interesting. I have never been able to finish a book after I've seen the movie.
I can see that. I have a particular interest in how books are adapted to films. I try to mix it up whether I read a book prior to seeing a movie even if it's available (About a boy and Bringing down the house for example) and vice-versa. I almost always like the book better regardless of the order I approach the material. I draw the line at novelizations, however.

Murph said:
Shockizzle said:
Any good non-fiction spy books? The Russian spy ring has interested me.
Two books that I couldn't put down:Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner- A history of the CIA

See no Evil by Bob Baer- Baer was a CIA operative in the Middle East and Central Asia- this is his autobiography which served as the very loose basis for the movie Syriana.

Edited to add a third book: Ghost Wars by Steve Coll- a history of the CIA in Afghanistan.
Both are excellent reads, can't recommend Ghost Wars enough. Another good book is Jawbreaker by Gary Bernsten. Detailed account of the CIA lead team that was tasked with getting bin Laden right after 9/11. I haven't read it yet but it's on my list and I haven't read anything bad about it yet. First In is kind of the prequel to it by Gary Schroen. Schroen was the first guy the CIA could lay hands on to mobilize to Afghanistan and set up the staging area for Bernsten's troops. Unfortunately for Schroen they pulled him out of recent retirement to do so, so the book ends right about where Jawbreaker picks up. It's kind of anti-climatic and you can almost feel the disappointment from Schroen when he is recalled to the States.

Looking for new books/authors to read.Just finished John Irving's latest book "Last night in twisted river" and enjoyed it, although nothing special. Went through a kick of mystery novels and other Dennis Lehane stuff, Cormac's the road, and a few other novels, but am looking for something new.Currently have a communal me/wife list:Confederacy of DuncesLaura Lippman -What the dead knowThe Book ThiefThe Brass verdictThe HelpBTW, if you've never read it, try "A son of the circus" by Irving. Still sticks with me, as far as unique characters..also, Until I Find You, by Irving sticks with me as well, although Owen Meany and Garp were better books overall.
I really enjoyed some of Lehane's books. If you like that genre, I'd highly recommend that you read:Vince Flynn -- Mitch Rapp series (CIA)Daniel Silva -- Gabriel Allon series (Israel counter intelligence)Michael Connolly -- Harry Bosch (LAPD)Lee Child -- Jack Reacher series. I can't possibly recommend this highly enough. Best, most enjoyable author going today.Cormac -- but you mentioned him already.

While I like science fiction, I'm not really a "fantasy" guy. A friend highly recommended A Game of Thrones.

I just saw that this is book 1 of 6 and since it is about 700 pages I am a little wary about diving in.
Finally got some time to finish this. I loved it. 9/10.I definitely will continue with the series, but will probably space it out considering how long it is taking him to finish.

Not sure what's next.
I blew threw A Game of Thrones in about a week and a half to two weeks. Absolutely loved it and hated the author for ending it how he did, it almost forced me to go out buy the 2nd book right then and there. A friend recommended it as one of his favorites and because HBO is making a new tv series out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread