What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Throw my game to change playoff teams? (1 Viewer)

What if your league rules stated "the object of the league is to win the championship" and "you must field a complete lineup every week".? Would you feel obligated to start Peyton Manning over Eli Manning if it meant you might hurt your odds of winning the championship?
Your question is what if the rules are arbitrary? The answer is don't have arbitrary rules. And give the commish the discretion to make the final judgment call.
No, I don't give the commish discretion to approve or deny my lineup. And its not arbitrary. Does anyone play in a league where the rules explicitly state "your most competitive lineup"?
I don't have the document anymore, but my rules did say something similar to that.Tanking and collusion will always be tricky because it's usually impossible to prove. But in blatant cases it becomes like the old obscenity argument: "I know it when I see it". My policy was to intervene only as a last resort, and luckily I never had to. Your example of Eli over Peyton is an obvious one and I would definitely say something, especially if the owner had something to gain by losing.
But this isn't collusion (you're acting alone) and you're trying to win. Tanking for future picks is a gray area. But tanking win is trying to achieve the goal of the league - to win the championship. Face it, no one's taking home the grand prize because they won in week 13. There's a reason the big prize is for the ultimate champion. That's what we're all playing for. Tanking because I gave up isn't nearly the same. The goals are polar opposites.

This is going to turn into the collusion thread. If fantasy curse was leading this discussion he would start another thread asking for a poll.

What if your league rules stated "the object of the league is to win the championship" and "you must field a complete lineup every week".? Would you feel obligated to start Peyton Manning over Eli Manning if it meant you might hurt your odds of winning the championship?
Your question is what if the rules are arbitrary? The answer is don't have arbitrary rules. And give the commish the discretion to make the final judgment call.
No, I don't give the commish discretion to approve or deny my lineup. And its not arbitrary. Does anyone play in a league where the rules explicitly state "your most competitive lineup"?
I don't have the document anymore, but my rules did say something similar to that.Tanking and collusion will always be tricky because it's usually impossible to prove. But in blatant cases it becomes like the old obscenity argument: "I know it when I see it". My policy was to intervene only as a last resort, and luckily I never had to. Your example of Eli over Peyton is an obvious one and I would definitely say something, especially if the owner had something to gain by losing.
But this isn't collusion (you're acting alone) and you're trying to win. Tanking for future picks is a gray area. But tanking win is trying to achieve the goal of the league - to win the championship. Face it, no one's taking home the grand prize because they won in week 13. There's a reason the big prize is for the ultimate champion. That's what we're all playing for. Tanking because I gave up isn't nearly the same. The goals are polar opposites.
That's why I said tanking and collusion. I didn't say tanking was collusion. They are similar in that there is only circumstantial evidence that it is happening. And in my opinion, both are equally cancerous to the good will in a league. If I was fighting for a playoff spot and saw someone tanking and knew it would cost me a playoff spot, I would complain to the commish. If he let it slide, I would quit the league. That would be the most obvious example of why it shouldn't be allowed.

That's why I said tanking and collusion. I didn't say tanking was collusion. They are similar in that there is only circumstantial evidence that it is happening. And in my opinion, both are equally cancerous to the good will in a league. If I was fighting for a playoff spot and saw someone tanking and knew it would cost me a playoff spot, I would complain to the commish. If he let it slide, I would quit the league. That would be the most obvious example of why it shouldn't be allowed.
So the stronger team (me) should worry about your playoff chances? What about the poor guy who misses the playoffs because you got in? I could get a better seeding and improve my chances and someone else is happy. Why are you more important than either of those?

Be careful what you ask for.
This is always true.

In the interest of the OP question though, I think a lot of people answered this and called it tanking and I don't think it is tanking in the purest sense. It is much more like a strategical decision. In one form or another, we are always trying to field the team that helps us win. If, in this case, what "helps you win" is not putting up the most points yourself but instead is eliminating a team you have decided might put up the most points, then it falls more in line with strategy.

But of course, just like Wrigley said, be careful what you ask for...you just might get it.

So the stronger team (me) should worry about your playoff chances? What about the poor guy who misses the playoffs because you got in? I could get a better seeding and improve my chances and someone else is happy. Why are you more important than either of those?
Yes, for a couple reasons.First, the "poor guy" missing the playoffs in this scenario would have gotten in because you tanked, not based on merit. If I played you in week 8 and you started your best lineup and beat me, it's not fair that a lesser team gets to beat you in week 13 because you decided it was in your best interest to lose. The playoff seeds should be decided on merit as much as possible. I don't subscribe here and devote hours of my time reading and listening to podcasts to have it come down to getting screwed by an unscrupulous owner. That is why I would quit such a league.

Second (since you clearly only think about yourself), next year it could be you getting screwed by this. The rule is there to protect you from cheating as much as it protects me and everyone else. Some of us value a league that stays together for years over just screwing everyone out of money by any means necessary. There is a camaraderie that develops, and the league gets more challenging over time. I don't need the money that badly. I value the strategy and competition above everything else. Tanking is anticompetitive.

And the fact that the move flies in leagues with strangers but not in leagues with friends gets back to what I was saying to IE earlier about it being a classic example of a <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" s_dilemma"="" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner" data-cke-saved-href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner">non-iterated Prisoner's Dilemma. Prisoner's Dilemma is a famous example from game theory looking at why people sometimes don't cooperate even if everyone is better off when everyone cooperates.
But that's precisely why this is not a classic example of a prisoner's dilemma. In fact, you mentioned several times elsewhere in the thread that fantasy football is a zero-sum game, and of course a non-iterated prisoner's dilemma is a non-zero-sum game. So which is it?

Iterated or not, the best outcome in a Prisoner's Dilemma is for everyone to cooperate, even though it runs counter to their own individual interests.
But the point of (non-iterated, i.e. one-off redraft with strangers) fantasy football isn't to find the best outcome for everyone. I wouldn't enter that kind of league with the intention of maximizing everyone's payoff. If that were the case, we could just play out the season and then give everyone their entry fees back.

If we do want to model it like a prisoner's dilemma, you were right to point out the distinction between iterated and non-treated; that difference is partly why I'd consider tanking in a redraft with strangers (if I believed tanking increased my probability of winning) and why I wouldn't tank in my local league of friends. It's almost as if I'm allowed to make that distinction, as opposed to adopting a one-size-fits-all rule of NO TANKING EVER.

What if losing a game meant you made the playoffs, while winning meant you missed the playoffs?

Do you go for the win and knock your own team out of the playoffs as a result?
In theory, yes, you have to go for a win, there.
And this is the absurd corner you paint yourself into with a NO TANKING EVER stance.

The league expressed its preferences for playoff participants before the season, and if teams are not trying their best to win games, it will distort the field and prevent the league from realizing its preferences.
No it won't. The league expressed its preferences for playoff participants, so each owner should manage his team according to those preferences. If a league opts to award playoff spots based on something other than wins, then winning games is, by definition, not the be-all and end-all of that league.

If winning your final game eliminates you from the playoffs, then by league rules you weren't intended to be a playoff team
On the contrary, if winning your final game eliminates you from the playoffs, then by league rules you weren't intended to try to win every game.

Yes, for a couple reasons.First, the "poor guy" missing the playoffs in this scenario would have gotten in because you tanked, not based on merit. If I played you in week 8 and you started your best lineup and beat me, it's not fair that a lesser team gets to beat you in week 13 because you decided it was in your best interest to lose. The playoff seeds should be decided on merit as much as possible. I don't subscribe here and devote hours of my time reading and listening to podcasts to have it come down to getting screwed by an unscrupulous owner. That is why I would quit such a league.

Second (since you clearly only think about yourself), next year it could be you getting screwed by this. The rule is there to protect you from cheating as much as it protects me and everyone else. Some of us value a league that stays together for years over just screwing everyone out of money by any means necessary. There is a camaraderie that develops, and the league gets more challenging over time. I don't need the money that badly. I value the strategy and competition above everything else. Tanking is anticompetitive.
To the bolded, within the confines of the rules absolutely. I don't call other owners mid-week and remind them to submit their waiver claims, or call my opponent if I see he left a player on bye in his line up. That's his problem and I don't expect others to call me. Worry about your own team, as long as you're within the rules. I don't advocate cheating; I play to win the championship.

And teams make the playoffs based off of their final record. Set your lineup, try to win the championship. Good luck.

To the bolded, within the confines of the rules absolutely. I don't call other owners mid-week and remind them to submit their waiver claims, or call my opponent if I see he left a player on bye in his line up. That's his problem and I don't expect others to call me. Worry about your own team, as long as you're within the rules. I don't advocate cheating; I play to win the championship.And teams make the playoffs based off of their final record. Set your lineup, try to win the championship. Good luck.
My rules wouldn't allow you to tank. If that was an issue for you, we can both agree that we wouldn't want to be in a league with each other.

Never, ever, ever intentionally throw a game in fantasy football. It's TERRIBLE for the competitive balance of the league. Ultimately, having a well-functioning, acrimony-free league is far more beneficial than trying to earn yourself a better round 1 playoff matchup.
bull####. it's no different than a team sitting their starters when they've already clinched home field. by tanking a game, they feel they have a better chance to win a championship.

if you think you can win by getting a better playoff matchup, go for it. if the league is concerned about it, change your playoff rules so the #1 team gets to choose their matchup.
If you're sitting Peyton Manning on your fantasy team because you think it lessens his chances of getting injured, I'd say you've got bigger problems than your first-round playoff matchup to worry about.

An NFL team resting starters to recover from existing injury and prevent future injury is not the same thing as tanking. The NFL team's GOAL is still to win the game. They're still trying their level best to win the game with the players they have on the field. They are not trying to lose. For example, see: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501020buf.htm

When a fantasy team "rests its starters", however, it is trying to lose. It wants to lose. Its goal is to lose. The ultimate, most desirable outcome is adding a loss in the loss column. That's why "resting starters" is not a very good NFL comparison. A better NFL comparison would be if a terrible team started intentionally TRYING TO LOSE to improve its draft position. And the second anyone provides me with any examples of that happening, I'll warm to the idea that it's okay in fantasy, too. Good luck finding any, though, because it doesn't happen. No NFL team intentionally tries to lose a game, even when losing that game is in their own best interest. Just look at Jacksonville, Tampa, and Atlanta in recent weeks, all getting key wins that give them nothing but might ultimately cost them a franchise player in the draft. Look at Houston giving all they have and nearly knocking off the mighty Patriots, despite Houston jockeying for the #1 pick and New England jockeying for the #1 seed. NFL teams never, ever, ever intentionally try to lose. And neither should any fantasy team. Ever.
That is not a correct comparison at all! The correct NFL comparison would be a playoff team throwing a game in order to allow a lesser team to make the playoffs. I don't think this was the logic behind removing the starters, but in 2009 the Colts removed their starters after 2 quarters in week 17 which allowed the Jets to win and make the playoffs, eliminating the Texans who would've made the playoffs if the Jets had lost. IF the Colts felt they matched up better with the Jets than the Texans then that would've been a viable NFL strategy to tank that game since it did not cost them a playoff position.

But not only would it have been a viable strategy, it would have been a GOOD strategy if they were right that they matched up better with one team or the other. Same with FF. It might not be worth pissing people off for the advantage, but that's a call each person has to make. But if you play to win the game and losing a single matchup improves your chances, then from a purely strategic standpoint, you throw the meaningless matchup to improve your odds of winning the championship.

There is no real debate here until you let human feelings get involved.

To the grocery line argument, I believe the construction zone scenario is more apt. We've all been sitting in a slow moving right hand lane because the sign said "left lane closed ahead". We've all seen someone pull out of the right lane and speed up to the front of the left lane and successfully merge into a stronger position in the right lane.
This is actually how you're supposed to merge in those situations. Use both lanes until you actually reach the point where one of the lanes ends, don't all pile up in the right hand lane a mile ahead of that point.
Tangent, but the problem isn't the people who remain in the left lane as long as possible. The problem is the people in the right lane who intentionally enter the left lane to try to get ahead. Every time someone merges from the left lane into the crowded right lane, it's going to create a slowdown, because merging is not a seamless process. If someone is already in the left lane, then that's not a problem- they're going to have to merge at some point, and any one point is as good as any other, so they might as well continue on as long as possible. If someone is in the right lane and they get into the left, though, then they're creating an additional merge, which adds to the delay.
You're not creating an additional merge moving from a crowded right hand lane into an empty left hand lane.
You *are* creating an additional merge when you move back into the crowded right hand lane.

That is not a correct comparison at all! The correct NFL comparison would be a playoff team throwing a game in order to allow a lesser team to make the playoffs. I don't think this was the logic behind removing the starters, but in 2009 the Colts removed their starters after 2 quarters in week 17 which allowed the Jets to win and make the playoffs, eliminating the Texans who would've made the playoffs if the Jets had lost. IF the Colts felt they matched up better with the Jets than the Texans then that would've been a viable NFL strategy to tank that game since it did not cost them a playoff position.

But not only would it have been a viable strategy, it would have been a GOOD strategy if they were right that they matched up better with one team or the other. Same with FF. It might not be worth pissing people off for the advantage, but that's a call each person has to make. But if you play to win the game and losing a single matchup improves your chances, then from a purely strategic standpoint, you throw the meaningless matchup to improve your odds of winning the championship.

This. /thread. You do whatever gives you the BEST chance to win the championship. That is all.

Why would you willingly allow yourself to play the tougher matchup up? Just to not rustle some jimmies? Well, those owners complaining should have been in the position to control their own destiny, and they were not good enough, or lucky enough, to do that. Not throwing a game to better position yourself for the championship to "spare" feelings makes litle LOGICAL sense.

Of course it may not work out in the end, but let's not be results oriented.

Last edited by a moderator:

To the bolded, within the confines of the rules absolutely. I don't call other owners mid-week and remind them to submit their waiver claims, or call my opponent if I see he left a player on bye in his line up. That's his problem and I don't expect others to call me. Worry about your own team, as long as you're within the rules. I don't advocate cheating; I play to win the championship.And teams make the playoffs based off of their final record. Set your lineup, try to win the championship. Good luck.
My rules wouldn't allow you to tank. If that was an issue for you, we can both agree that we wouldn't want to be in a league with each other.
So how would your rules be worded? Genuinely curious.

Is it really "tanking" if you are gaining an ADVANTAGE for the SAME season. I'd argue "no."

I agree with the above. The goal is not to win every game. The goal is to win a championship. If it helps you win a championship, it's worth considering. I agree you don't want it to "cost" you friendships, etc. But it's not unethical to throw a game to affect your playoff opponent if you believe it helps you win a championship.

FYI: I tried it this wekeend and it backfired. The team I wanted out of the playoffs is now my opponent in the first round. I don't consider that fantasy karma or "fantasy gods" or whatever. It's a risk I was willing to take and I'll live with the consequences. But strategically, I think it was the right move. I was trying to win a championship, not win a meaningless game (for me) in week 13.

I agree with the above. The goal is not to win every game. The goal is to win a championship. If it helps you win a championship, it's worth considering. I agree you don't want it to "cost" you friendships, etc. But it's not unethical to throw a game to affect your playoff opponent if you believe it helps you win a championship.

FYI: I tried it this wekeend and it backfired. The team I wanted out of the playoffs is now my opponent in the first round. I don't consider that fantasy karma or "fantasy gods" or whatever. It's a risk I was willing to take and I'll live with the consequences. But strategically, I think it was the right move. I was trying to win a championship, not win a meaningless game (for me) in week 13.
Just like I said previously, there's a reason the grand prize isn't awarded week 13. We all want the grand prize.

To the grocery line argument, I believe the construction zone scenario is more apt. We've all been sitting in a slow moving right hand lane because the sign said "left lane closed ahead". We've all seen someone pull out of the right lane and speed up to the front of the left lane and successfully merge into a stronger position in the right lane.
This is actually how you're supposed to merge in those situations. Use both lanes until you actually reach the point where one of the lanes ends, don't all pile up in the right hand lane a mile ahead of that point.
Exactly.

So would you tank a game if it meant screwing a good friend out of a playoff spot?

So would you tank a game if it meant screwing a good friend out of a playoff spot?
Yes. My friend had all season to control his destiny and make the playoffs--he did not. I am not in the league to ensure my buddy makes the playoffs. A good friend would recognize this. ;)

Slightly different, but how about tanking in a game that doesn't alter who gets in playoffs, but gives you what you perceive to be better matchup in the first round of the playoffs ?

Eg I am 2nd in my league and playing 1st in the last regular season game this week. I'd say the hottest team right now is me and the guy who will finish fourth seed. The guy in first is limping into playoffs.

If I beat him this week I'm seeded first and get the dangerous fourth seed who has good matchups for week 15

If I lose then i end up seeded 2 or 3rd playing another team who will def be 2nd and 3rd. I like this matchup better and believe I can take either of the other two in week 16.

Not really considering doing it, but is it different if the deliberate loss doesn't actually change which teams make the playoffs ?

Yes. My friend had all season to control his destiny and make the playoffs--he did not. I am not in the league to ensure my buddy makes the playoffs.Will I feel better if my buddy makes the playoffs and then happens to beat me? No. I would have wished he was never in it to begin with.
Wow. Interesting to learn about differing values, I guess. But clearly pointless to argue it anymore.

Yes. My friend had all season to control his destiny and make the playoffs--he did not. I am not in the league to ensure my buddy makes the playoffs.Will I feel better if my buddy makes the playoffs and then happens to beat me? No. I would have wished he was never in it to begin with.
Wow. Interesting to learn about differing values, I guess. But clearly pointless to argue it anymore.
A good friend would KNOW you owe him nothing, that is the KEY difference, not a differing of "values."

my edited post was:

Yes. My friend had all season to control his destiny and make the playoffs--he did not. I am not in the league to ensure my buddy makes the playoffs. A good friend would recognize this.

It's all about framing.

I agree with the above. The goal is not to win every game. The goal is to win a championship. If it helps you win a championship, it's worth considering. I agree you don't want it to "cost" you friendships, etc. But it's not unethical to throw a game to affect your playoff opponent if you believe it helps you win a championship. FYI: I tried it this wekeend and it backfired. The team I wanted out of the playoffs is now my opponent in the first round. I don't consider that fantasy karma or "fantasy gods" or whatever. It's a risk I was willing to take and I'll live with the consequences. But strategically, I think it was the right move. I was trying to win a championship, not win a meaningless game (for me) in week 13.
Yes. My friend had all season to control his destiny and make the playoffs--he did not. I am not in the league to ensure my buddy makes the playoffs. Will I feel better if my buddy makes the playoffs and then happens to beat me? No. I would have wished he was never in it to begin with.
If you worry about your buddies playoff chances, that is collusion.

I agree with the above. The goal is not to win every game. The goal is to win a championship. If it helps you win a championship, it's worth considering. I agree you don't want it to "cost" you friendships, etc. But it's not unethical to throw a game to affect your playoff opponent if you believe it helps you win a championship. FYI: I tried it this wekeend and it backfired. The team I wanted out of the playoffs is now my opponent in the first round. I don't consider that fantasy karma or "fantasy gods" or whatever. It's a risk I was willing to take and I'll live with the consequences. But strategically, I think it was the right move. I was trying to win a championship, not win a meaningless game (for me) in week 13.
Yes. My friend had all season to control his destiny and make the playoffs--he did not. I am not in the league to ensure my buddy makes the playoffs. Will I feel better if my buddy makes the playoffs and then happens to beat me? No. I would have wished he was never in it to begin with.
If you worry about your buddies playoff chances, that is collusion.
Exactly my first thought...THAT'S bordering on collusion. Everyone worry about their own team and league's run much smoother. Trouble begins when people worry about someone else.

As long as you are not leaving players blank, you are as good as golden. Crap happens in ff, it has an element of luck and circumstance to it. Some of you guys are acting like we are talking about an MMA match or a game of golf.
Honest question for the pro-tanking crowd. I've seen this sentiment expressed a couple of times now. Why is "leaving players blank" the line? Why is it okay to start someone on a bye, but not okay to start no one at all? Aren't they the same thing?

This is always true.

In the interest of the OP question though, I think a lot of people answered this and called it tanking and I don't think it is tanking in the purest sense. It is much more like a strategical decision. In one form or another, we are always trying to field the team that helps us win. If, in this case, what "helps you win" is not putting up the most points yourself but instead is eliminating a team you have decided might put up the most points, then it falls more in line with strategy.

But of course, just like Wrigley said, be careful what you ask for...you just might get it.
You could say the exact same thing about intentionally losing games to secure the #1 draft pick. "It's not tanking in the purest sense. It's more like a strategical decision. In one form or another, we are always trying to field the team that helps us win in the long run. If, in this case, what "helps you win" is not putting up the most points yourself but instead securing the rights to a better player in the rookie draft, then it falls more in line with strategy".

From that standpoint (anything that is good for me is merely a strategic decision), there's no such thing as tanking. Any general definition of tanking that will include losing to get a better draft pick is also going to include losing to get a better playoff draw, too. Intentionally losing for some long-term gain is intentionally losing for some long-term gain, no matter how you dress it up... and intentionally losing for any reason is tanking.

This is always true.

You could say the exact same thing about intentionally losing games to secure the #1 draft pick. "It's not tanking in the purest sense. It's more like a strategical decision. In one form or another, we are always trying to field the team that helps us win in the long run. If, in this case, what "helps you win" is not putting up the most points yourself but instead securing the rights to a better player in the rookie draft, then it falls more in line with strategy".

From that standpoint (anything that is good for me is merely a strategic decision), there's no such thing as tanking. Any general definition of tanking that will include losing to get a better draft pick is also going to include losing to get a better playoff draw, too. Intentionally losing for some long-term gain is intentionally losing for some long-term gain, no matter how you dress it up... and intentionally losing for any reason is tanking.
Tanking usually refers to losing on purpose to gain advantage the NEXT season, at least that's how I've seen it used most often. So, i'd argue that it is not tanking to gain an advantage for the SAME season. Either way, it is just arguing semnatics, which does not answer OP's concern.

Im not usually in favor of tanking for things like improving your draft spot or waiver priority. But the OPs situation is one where I think tanking is strategically correct.

It doesnt upset the competetive balance in this situation. He is actually helping his team out (hopefully). If the other team doesn't like it, they shouldve won more games in the reg season, imo. Especially if this is like a winner take all or only pays 1st and 2nd, you have to do what you can to make it to the title game.

Wouldn't tanking involve acting counter to winning? Aren't we trying to win the championship? An example earlier turned the tables and asked if we would lose to gain entry to the playoffs. If you try to win, isn't that a perverse form of tanking?

Clarifying my example, the situation was lose and get in, win and go home. I want to lose there every time. Winning is tanking.

But that's precisely why this is not a classic example of a prisoner's dilemma. In fact, you mentioned several times elsewhere in the thread that fantasy football is a zero-sum game, and of course a non-iterated prisoner's dilemma is a non-zero-sum game. So which is it?
Championship odds are zero-sum. They always add up to 100%. There's more to fantasy football than just championship odds, though. If something makes everyone's experience worse, then it is a net negative even though it doesn't impact championship odds, a distinction I made in post #78.

But the point of (non-iterated, i.e. one-off redraft with strangers) fantasy football isn't to find the best outcome for everyone. I wouldn't enter that kind of league with the intention of maximizing everyone's payoff. If that were the case, we could just play out the season and then give everyone their entry fees back.If we do want to model it like a prisoner's dilemma, you were right to point out the distinction between iterated and non-treated; that difference is partly why I'd consider tanking in a redraft with strangers (if I believed tanking increased my probability of winning) and why I wouldn't tank in my local league of friends. It's almost as if I'm allowed to make that distinction, as opposed to adopting a one-size-fits-all rule of NO TANKING EVER.
I'm talking about creating social norms. If the social norm exists that no one should ever tank, then everyone winds up benefitting from that social norm, even complete strangers in a one-off redraft league. Just like everyone benefits from the social norm not to cut in line, even complete strangers in a grocery store. Even if you were on vacation in Switzerland and you knew with absolute certainty that you would never see anyone in that grocery store ever again, I imagine you still wouldn't cut in line, because that social norm has become very deeply ingrained. And as a result of that deeply-ingrained social norm, we all benefit, because in turn no one cuts in front of us in line, even Swiss tourists on vacation who are absolutely certain they will never see us again.

If, on the other hand, the social norm is "NO TANKING (you know, unless the specific situation calls for it)", then everyone suffers, because suddenly we all get caught up in situations where we're hurt by tanking just as often as we find ourselves in a position to benefit from it.

And this is the absurd corner you paint yourself into with a NO TANKING EVER stance.
I don't think it's an absurd corner. Again, the Jacksonville Jaguars are actively hurting their franchise's future with every game they win right now. Do you watch their games, see them play competitive football, and think "see, this is the absurd corner they paint themselves in by adhering to the 'you play to win the game' norm"?

In rare situations, winning the game might suck. You still don't actively try to lose.

No it won't. The league expressed its preferences for playoff participants, so each owner should manage his team according to those preferences. If a league opts to award playoff spots based on something other than wins, then winning games is, by definition, not the be-all and end-all of that league.
The league stated its intention for the four playoff teams to be the best four teams, as defined by winning percentage with one wildcard for total points. Ernol's situation was one where he was NOT one of the four best teams according to those criteria, but by intentionally losing a game, he could eliminate one of those four best teams and take its place.

So you pro-tanking guys are cool with collusion too? You're 2-8 and all but eliminated and someone offers you a lopsided trade and half of any prize monies he wins. There is no real debate here until you let human feelings get involved. Decline the trade and win zero dollars; accept the trade and have a chance to win some dollars. The decision to accept the trade seems like the only rational decision.

If you disagree with the above statement but think it's okay to intentionally lose a game, I'd love to hear your logic of why they are so different.

I agree, that's another great comparison, because it involves an NFL franchise intentionally trying to lose a game. Can you find me an example of a team actually doing that some time?

Hell, anyone just find me any example of any NFL team intentionally trying to lose any game for any reason whatsoever. If we're taking our cue from the NFL, and we want to justify intentionally trying to lose a game, let's find an example of that ever happening in the NFL.

So you pro-tanking guys are cool with collusion too? You're 2-8 and all but eliminated and someone offers you a lopsided trade and half of any prize monies he wins. There is no real debate here until you let human feelings get involved. Decline the trade and win zero dollars; accept the trade and have a chance to win some dollars. The decision to accept the trade seems like the only rational decision.

If you disagree with the above statement but think it's okay to intentionally lose a game, I'd love to hear your logic of why they are so different.
No, and explaining it is ridiculous. I want to win, solely for myself. That's the object of the league. I would not take money to help another team. Not the same.

No, and explaining it is ridiculous. I want to win, solely for myself. That's the object of the league. I would not take money to help another team. Not the same.
And you don't see how intentionally losing and letting a lesser team into the playoffs and screwing a more deserving team ruins the competitive balance of the league and causes bad blood? Or you just don't care?I guess if you just want to win money and don't care about the other guys and if they come back next year, this makes sense. That's not how I play, but it's logical for someone with that mindset.

Okay. So would you offer a 2-8 team a portion of your prize money for his best players?

And you don't see how intentionally losing and letting a lesser team into the playoffs and screwing a more deserving team ruins the competitive balance of the league and causes bad blood? Or you just don't care?I guess if you just want to win money and don't care about the other guys and if they come back next year, this makes sense. That's not how I play, but it's logical for someone with that mindset.
No, I don't care about other teams - they worry about themselves. And I asked previously, how would you word your rules to prevent this situation? I follow all of my league's rules.

Okay. So would you offer a 2-8 team a portion of your prize money for his best players?
Absolutely not and I'm insulted you equate the 2.

Your question is clear collusion. The topic at hand is one team, acting in their own best interest without the help of another team. To insinuate it borders on collusion is ridiculous.

To clarify, this is an internet redraft league. I don't know any of these people, and never will. I would never consider it if it was a local league (keeper, dynasty, or redraft) or a free league. My team is very strong. Dez and CJ are currently 9th each, the rest of my team is top 4 at EVERY (except def) postilion. I drafted strong, and had great depth. I traded that depth for my playoff run.

If I tank, I would be allowing a team that has scored nearly 500 points less than me into the playoffs. His team is comprised mostly of waiver wire scrubs. He has Peyton, and none of the rest of his team is even top 15 in their position. Would I be pissed if somebody had me in this situation and decided that they didn't want me in the playoffs? Absolutely, but I'd also realize that they had earned over the course of the entire year, and that I should have done more over my season so I wouldn't be in this position. I'm really leaning towards tanking this week, as it is strategically in my best interests. We play to win the championship/money. Especially internet redraft leagues.

No, I don't care about other teams - they worry about themselves. And I asked previously, how would you word your rules to prevent this situation? I follow all of my league's rules.
I don't see how that's a difficult question. Something like "All owners must try to set the most competitive lineup every week. An owner is not allowed to start marginal/backup players over clearly superior options in an effort to improve his playoff seeding/matchup, or for any other reason. Commissioner will have final discretion to determine if/when this has occurred."

I don't see how that's a difficult question. Something like "All owners must try to set the most competitive lineup every week. An owner is not allowed to start marginal/backup players over clearly superior options in an effort to improve his playoff seeding/matchup, or for any other reason. Commissioner will have final discretion to determine if/when this has occurred."
So now you're the judge of superior lineups each week? You really want a commish reviewing everyone's line up? Not me. Would you have let me bench Brees last night?

A better question would be "would I be upset if a good friend tanked a game if it meant screwing me out of a playoff spot?" The answer to that is no. I'd be unhappy that I wasn't getting in, but I wouldn't be upset at them. I put myself in that position. I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't be upset at them.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't do it if I thought it would upset them. I don't play to upset my friends. It's not worth it. I would hope they'd be a little more mature than that and not get upset because I didn't help their team, but I understand they might. In that case it's not worth the fantasy football advantage.

I don't think I'd be wrong to do it, but I wouldn't pay that price to do it. If that makes sense.

So now you're the judge of superior lineups each week? You really want a commish reviewing everyone's line up? Not me.
I'm not reviewing lineups and my last resort is to get involved at all. The rule is there to avoid ambiguity. And I know that guy who is 7-5 and has been scrapping on the waiver wire all year and knows his season is on the line will alert me if it ever comes up. You don't set rules to micromanage, you set rules so that everyone has a clear understanding and to avoid situations where the commish has nothing but his best judgment to resolve a dispute.

So now you're the judge of superior lineups each week? You really want a commish reviewing everyone's line up? Not me.
I'm not reviewing lineups and my last resort is to get involved at all. The rule is there to avoid ambiguity. And I know that guy who is 7-5 and has been scrapping on the waiver wire all year and knows his season is on the line will alert me if it ever comes up. You don't set rules to micromanage, you set rules so that everyone has a clear understanding and to avoid situations where the commish has nothing but his best judgment to resolve a dispute.
Your rules are ambiguous then. When you do get the right to change my lineup? So you can help another team? Would you have changed my lineup if I started JBell over Zack Stacy this week?

A better question would be "would I be upset if a good friend tanked a game if it meant screwing me out of a playoff spot?" The answer to that is no. I'd be unhappy that I wasn't getting in, but I wouldn't be upset at them. I put myself in that position. I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't be upset at them.But to answer your question, I wouldn't do it if I thought it would upset them. I don't play to upset my friends. It's not worth it. I would hope they'd be a little more mature than that and not get upset because I didn't help their team, but I understand they might. In that case it's not worth the fantasy football advantage.

I don't think I'd be wrong to do it, but I wouldn't pay that price to do it. If that makes sense.
You play Team A in week 8 and he sets an optimal lineup and you lose. Team B plays Team A in week 13, Team A intentionally starts a bunch of waiver crap and loses. You win your week 13 game, but Team B just barely squeaks into the playoffs thanks to their week 13 win. Team A would have beaten Team B with the optimal lineup. You put yourself in that position? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread