What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cooking Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

One does not need to attend culinary school to become a chef. You have to demonstrate the ability to run a kitchen: control food and labor costs, enticing menu design and execution, minimize waste, find best pricing for the best products, sanitation standards, etc. Now there are different tiers of food establishments, so the demands differ. One will likely not advance in fine dining establishments ifhe/she does not know technique (which can be learned on the job).

It does not matter where you learn so long as you do.

Good thread.

I fancy myself a very good cook...being a bachelor most of my life actually made me learn.

I actually cook more healthy/carb and sugar friendly options so I'll share a few of those tips.

(If you want an unhealthy recipe, my mushroom risotto is requested by all my friends and family when I come in town and is the best thing I've ever eaten)

For folks watching carbs or with diabetes, other health issues.

Shrimp Fried "Rice": the rice is actually a head of grated cauliflower. Grate using the largest blade on your grater. Microwave for exactly 5 minutes and then add to whatever veggies/meat in the pan. Hit it hard with some Soy Sauce and I'm telling you it is better than real takeout fried rice. Just delicious.

When making chicken soup, always add a good healthy dash of Bell Seasoning (traditionally used in stuffing). It's the secret ingredient in my chicken noodle soup and always goes over huge with folks asking for the secret.

Cooking fish in parchment paper makes a world of difference. Lemon/dill/butter over any fish sealed into parchment paper makes cooking fish foolproof

My meatballs (not as healthy) also heavily requested by my family. First, I use the standard mix ins, but add tons of fresh parsley and garlic. My trick is to add lots of onion and garlic, however, instead of raw, cook the onion and garlic down for 10 minutes. It gives the meatballs a softer texture. Then, you MUST fry the outsides of them in oil before baking or adding to sauce. That crispy exterior is unbelievable. I even suggest not baking or sauce cooking them at all. Just shallow fry them until cooked through. Makes them delicious just to snack on. Oh and always use a blend of beef, veal,and pork.

That's all I can think of for now
JB - I 2nd the cauliflower rice deal. We still go rice sometimes but this is a great alternative. I was really suprised with how the texture held up - not exactly like rice but good.

Alton Brown has a good piece on knives. Honing a knife isn't the same as having it sharpened.
You can probably just make that sentence "Alton Brown has a good piece on ________"!

Good Eats was/is one of my favorite cooking shows ever. Partly because of the way it was shot (AB was a film guy before a cooking show guy) but mostly because it explained WHY you needed to do everything. Instead of just saying throw in this and this and this and whoa la here is the dish, he said what each ingredient was going to do. One of my favorites was the one where he made chocolate chip cookies (Three Chips for Sister Marsha) and showed how to make them 3 different ways (Chewy, Puffy, Thin) based on subtle changes to the recipe. Really cool.
It is ironic because he has always been my favorite celebrity "chef" and yet I don't technically believe he is a chef.

I must have seen 2000 good eats over the years and still go to him on youtube when ever I need an explanation.
I think he went to culinary school once he decided to make cooking shows.
Right, but he was a film guy who made a cooking show, not like 99% of the others who are chefs first then they got a show.
Alton Brown graduated from the New England Culinary Institute in 1997

I have been cooking since I got married but it was typically only on weekends.

Since I retired a few years ago, I have been cooking almost every day.

I cook a mix of italian, asian, mexican and american foods.

My style is typically rustic, and leans towards comfort foods.

I have almost no skill in desserts and my knife skills are very average but trying to improve.

I watch a lot of Food TV and typically copy recipes I see online and then adapt them for my families tastes after making them once.
NR - great idea. This sounds a lot like me.

I have been cooking all my life, but was mostly weekends due to work. I retired back in November and have taken over the household grocery shopping and cooking. I make the kids lunches every day (2 kids - 9 and 17). I used to love cookbooks and collected them and subscribed to Cooks Illustrated for a number of years (don't anymore though due to the internet ...may go back though).

My wife is great at desserts so I leave that to her. I love trying new stuff and feel like I am pretty good at putting together meals with what we have.

I have been collecting a lot of stuff that looks good on pinterest to try. I am in the process of trying to put together a varied, mostly low carb menu rotation that the family likes and mix in plenty of room for new stuff to see if they are keepers.

Not fancy cooking for the daily stuff but like to do a little of that kind of stuff for fun. Just got a 2 quart self-contained electric ice cream maker as a retirement gift so anxious try sweet, savory combinations with that too.

A few examples of our current basics in the rotation:

- slow cooker flank steak with green chilies

- parmesan/chive coated grilled swai (any white fish will do)

- various meatloafs

- tacos

- homemade miso soup with rare tuna steaks

- bay scallop alfredo

- kafta kebab

- middle eastern lamb burgers with our taziki

- kung pao chicken

- enchiladas with scratch sauce homemade

- middle eastern lamb/pork neckbones and broth

- homemade stock soups

- coconut flour chicken nugget (use thigh meat) with homemade chik-fil-a sauce

- refried bean and chicken tostadas

I am anxious to get more into thai and korean stuff - also need to develop a much better and bigger list of creative low carb side dishes - though easier the prep the better. We still do plenty of carb stuff but try not to overload it. We mostly roast vegetables, also the kids do like green beans with a little bacon grease on the stove ... :)
Can you share your Kung Pao? I started making Shrimp or Chicken Curry every couple of weeks. Wife loves it and surprisingly easy that you can do it on a weeknight.
Sure! Its a Food Network recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kung-pao-chicken-recipe.html

You will likely have to do it in batches - the recipe is based on 8oz of chicken (use thighs). I change it slightly. I use more dried peppers and peanuts and fry them 1st so I can throw them in when I put the sauce in. I also throw some ginger powder in addition to the fresh. Do you have an asian grocery to get your peppers?

Also - here is what I have posted for asian dishes that look interesting. I have only made a handful. But want to make them all.

http://www.pinterest.com/trobertsar/food-asian/

I am planning a simple chicken stir fry tonight

*Chicken breast cut up in slices and marinated in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic powder and ginger powder

*Veggie are carrots, red bell pepper, onions, and water chestnuts

*Sauce will be sautéed garlic and ginger, and then chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper and a thickening agent(see below)

*I stir fry using peanut oil in a heavy skillet (never really mastered a wok)

*Served over rice

Question: What do you guys like to use as a thickening agent? I tend to use corn starch but I see that is frowned on by some.
Why is corn starch a bad thing? Paleo related?

Cornstarch will clump when added directly to hot liquids and it doesn't mix well with acidic ingredients
Correct. You need to create a slurry first mixing corn starch with cold water on the side until smooth and then adding that liquid into your sauce to thicken.

That being said, this was not why the judges were unhappy. They simply did not seem to like anyone using corn starch over ultra tex.

I use corn starch a lot in my slurry's with no issues.

Alton Brown has a good piece on knives. Honing a knife isn't the same as having it sharpened.
You can probably just make that sentence "Alton Brown has a good piece on ________"!

Good Eats was/is one of my favorite cooking shows ever. Partly because of the way it was shot (AB was a film guy before a cooking show guy) but mostly because it explained WHY you needed to do everything. Instead of just saying throw in this and this and this and whoa la here is the dish, he said what each ingredient was going to do. One of my favorites was the one where he made chocolate chip cookies (Three Chips for Sister Marsha) and showed how to make them 3 different ways (Chewy, Puffy, Thin) based on subtle changes to the recipe. Really cool.
It is ironic because he has always been my favorite celebrity "chef" and yet I don't technically believe he is a chef.

I must have seen 2000 good eats over the years and still go to him on youtube when ever I need an explanation.
I think he went to culinary school once he decided to make cooking shows.
Right, but he was a film guy who made a cooking show, not like 99% of the others who are chefs first then they got a show.
Alton Brown graduated from the New England Culinary Institute in 1997
Brown received a degree in drama from the University of Georgia and began his career in cinematography and film production.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, he was the cinematographer for several music videos, including "The One I Love" by R.E.M..[9]

Brown notes that he was dissatisfied with the quality of cooking shows airing on American television, so he set out to produce his own show. In preparation, he enrolled in the New England Culinary Institute, graduating in 1997.
Both right!

Enjoying this thread. Sitting home on a Sunday. Making spaghetti sauce, missing football.

Should we be posting recipes that we like to make that don't fit into the Sauce/BBQ/Chili threads?

Enjoying this thread. Sitting home on a Sunday. Making spaghetti sauce, missing football.

Should we be posting recipes that we like to make that don't fit into the Sauce/BBQ/Chili threads?
I fully intend to. Each meal I make I am going to post a summary until it repeats. Please share what ever you have. I want this thread to be for all indoor cooking. The sauce thread was more about jar sauces with a few recipes tossed in.

We can leave the outdoor cooking to the Grilling and BGE threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Former cook and current cooking fool at home...I'll contribute more later but for now wanted to post this info...

I don't bother with sharpening steel and stones anymore, drop $10 on one of these and sharpening is a fool proof snap. Replacement blades are less than $5. I've been using these for 10+ years and they are great. I keep one at home, and one in my tackle box for my filet knife (I fish a lot). Just run the knife over the v blades a couple of times with decent pressure, then 2 or 3 times with a light touch. Perfect for home use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/other/aw/d/B00004VWKQ?cache=6d3be4b133f0ca2fb695ecb6d4560532#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1391975123&sr=8-1&precache=1

Eta: blades in the sharpener need to be replaced once in a while, but you can flip them upside down and get twice the usage out of them before you replace them because theyre double sided. I replace blades in mine every year or so depending on use.

Former cook and current cooking fool at home...I'll contribute more later but for now wanted to post this info...

I don't bother with sharpening steel and stones anymore, drop $10 on one of these and sharpening is a fool proof snap. Replacement blades are less than $5. I've been using these for 10+ years and they are great. I keep one at home, and one in my tackle box for my filet knife (I fish a lot). Just run the knife over the v blades a couple of times with decent pressure, then 2 or 3 times with a light touch. Perfect for home use.http://www.amazon.com/gp/other/aw/d/B00004VWKQ?cache=6d3be4b133f0ca2fb695ecb6d4560532#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1391975123&sr=8-1&precache=1
Great timing!!! :)

I just put on of these in my Amazon cart a few hours ago and was going to see if anyone used it on here. The reviews are great, especially for the price.

I can see not needing a sharpener after using this but why don't you require a steel blade any more? Does this little unit sharpen and hone?

I only ask because one of the reviews I read still recommended usung a steel blade.

Cornstarch will clump when added directly to hot liquids and it doesn't mix well with acidic ingredients
Correct. You need to create a slurry first mixing corn starch with cold water on the side until smooth and then adding that liquid into your sauce to thicken.

That being said, this was not why the judges were unhappy. They simply did not seem to like anyone using corn starch over ultra tex.

What I find disconcerting about cornstarch thickened sauces is that they provide a kind of clear, transparent type of thick sauce that my wife calls "meat snot." Xanthan gum is similar.

What I find disconcerting about cornstarch thickened sauces is that they provide a kind of clear, transparent type of thick sauce that my wife calls "meat snot." Xanthan gum is similar.
what would you recommend in place of corn starch? I can't seem to locate the ultra tex starch in my market.

Re: knives, are there any good knives that are dishwasher safe and have the ability to be sharpened? I use the hell out of my meat knife and veggie knife.

what would you recommend in place of corn starch? I can't seem to locate the ultra tex starch in my market.
I don't have any great recommendations. I think cornstarch is often fine for asian dishes. If I have to thicken a stew or something, I generally use a roux. But more often than not, I just reduce a sauce down. To thicken a soup, I generally puree some of the vegetables. I'm doing a turkey and white bean soup today, and I'll probably just puree some of the white beans before adding my greens.

I have no idea what ultra tex is.

I don't have any great recommendations. I think cornstarch is often fine for asian dishes. If I have to thicken a stew or something, I generally use a roux. But more often than not, I just reduce a sauce down. To thicken a soup, I generally puree some of the vegetables. I'm doing a turkey and white bean soup today, and I'll probably just puree some of the white beans before adding my greens.

I have no idea what ultra tex is.
Never heard of either...The magic of Google!

From Modernist Pantry

ULTRA-TEX® 3 is a high performance cold water swelling modified food starch derived from tapioca. It exhibits many of the properties of a modified cook-up starch and possesses a very bland flavor profile with good mouth melt-away characteristics.

ULTRA-TEX® 3 provides a very smooth, short, and glossy texture in a range of instant food applications. It also imparts a rich creamy mouthfeel while possessing a very bland flavor profile.

In addition, this product has improved tolerance to heating and acidic conditions compared to conventional pregelatinized tapioca starches. A further advantage when using this product is the excellent textural stability it possesses, even in cold temperature or refrigerated storage conditions.

So it sounds like utltratex will also give you a glossier type of sauce, but with a little better mouthfeel and a more neutral flavor than cornstarch or traditional tapioca starch.

My guess is that the people on Chopped are offended because professional cooks are supposed to keep up with stuff and make note of having the superior product in the pantry.

So it sounds like utltratex will also give you a glossier type of sauce, but with a little better mouthfeel and a more neutral flavor than cornstarch or traditional tapioca starch.

My guess is that the people on Chopped are offended because professional cooks are supposed to keep up with stuff and make note of having the superior product in the pantry.
Ohhhhh ...right. This is the stuff that Clark was working on when he didn't get the money for the pool. Finally got through the FDA.

Anyone know the difference between the utra-tex3 vs 4 and 8?

Re: knives, are there any good knives that are dishwasher safe and have the ability to be sharpened? I use the hell out of my meat knife and veggie knife.
I really wouldn't put any knife in the dishwasher.

It's just a harsh environment that's going to dull the knife and likely hurt it's longevity. It can also be dangerous to the unloader.

If you really don't want to handwash knives, I'd just suggest the cheapest decent knife possible. You're basically turning a tool that could last a lifetime into something of a disposable product. Needs to be cheap enough that you don't mind replacing it often.

The Sam's chef's knives would be a good choice there, I think. They aren't going to hold up very well in a dishwasher (make sure you have a good sharpening procedure), but no knife is. They are a pretty good knife and still dirt cheap to replace.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bakers-chefs-cook-s-knives-2-pk/prod5250044.ip?navAction=

Today I am cooking some simple comfort food.

Salisbury Steak
* 90% lean ground beef (angus). Mixed with egg, bread crumb, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper and formed into oval patties
* mushrooms sliced and onions diced
* sauté onions and mushrooms in frying pan separately
* sauté beef about 4 minutes a side in skillet
* remove beef and deglaze pan with beef stock and red wine vinegar.
* add mushrooms and onions and let simmer
* add corn starch slurry to thicken mushroom sauce
* add back in beef, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes

Serve over mash potatoes, with corn and italian bread

I have a question:

Tomorrow night I am only going to be doing left overs.

A couple of days ago I made home made tortilla's and froze the extra's.

What is the best way to go about defrosting and heating up the frozen flour tortilla's?

I am thinking of just letting them defrost on counter until soft and then heating in microwave with wet paper towel for 45 seconds or heating in low temp oven for a few minutes.

I have a question:

Tomorrow night I am only going to be doing left overs.

A couple of days ago I made home made tortilla's and froze the extra's.

What is the best way to go about defrosting and heating up the frozen flour tortilla's?

I am thinking of just letting them defrost on counter until soft and then heating in microwave with wet paper towel for 45 seconds or heating in low temp oven for a few minutes.
you can defrost on the counter or the fridge. for heating you can use chef mic, wrap in foil and place in oven at 250, or in restaurants i liked softening on the flat top.

I too enjoy salisbury steak when rehabilitated from my high school cafeteria memories. I'd never make it with 90% lean, but then again I never buy 90% lean. I get that the egg and binder will make it feel moister anyway, but I still think you're losing a lot of flavor. I might also add some Worcestershire or even anchovy paste for extra meatiness and umani.

I too enjoy salisbury steak when rehabilitated from my high school cafeteria memories. I'd never make it with 90% lean, but then again I never buy 90% lean. I get that the egg and binder will make it feel moister anyway, but I still think you're losing a lot of flavor. I might also add some Worcestershire or even anchovy paste for extra meatiness and umani.
I agree on the 90%.

If I was cooking for myself or for other less sensitive to fat I would use 85% or 80% but my wife has a stomach sensitivity to fat so this is the best I can do.

I do add Worcestershire to the meat as I am making them. I left that out above when I was summarizing, I will edit it now to add.

I eat pretty healthy, just thought I'd share what I whipped up for dinner tonight:

Pan seared Mahi Mahi w/Old Bay and fresh cracked black pepper; couscous with garlic and olive oil; sauteed zucchini; side salad with avocado AMD pomegranate vinaigrette.

http://imageshack.com/a/img802/3392/xzuu.jpg

This is pretty typical for how I eat regularly. Most of the fish I eat I catch myself, although this mahi was bought at my local see seafood market.

I was at the farmer's market this weekend musing about what I wanted to braise during the week when I heard a foreign but familiar voice say, "take a look at their trotters!" I turned around and found that my helpful genie was Jose Andres.

Now, I've never cooked trotters and I'm reasonably certain my wife would freak if she knew I bought them, but I'm not losing my cred with a celebrity chef. Particularly not one who's been ruining me for swimsuit season for 15 years. So I bought them. Now I have to figure out what I want to do with them. I'm thinking of maybe trying a cassoulet on Saturday.

I eat pretty healthy, just thought I'd share what I whipped up for dinner tonight:

Pan seared Mahi Mahi w/Old Bay and fresh cracked black pepper; couscous with garlic and olive oil; sauteed zucchini; side salad with avocado AMD pomegranate vinaigrette.

http://imageshack.com/a/img802/3392/xzuu.jpg

This is pretty typical for how I eat regularly. Most of the fish I eat I catch myself, although this mahi was bought at my local see seafood market.
That looks sweet! Great job - keep posting the pics! I think I am going to do some baked country style ribs with the green beans and a little bacon grease.

Great thread. I'll post more detail and recipes when I get some more time. I'm not classically trained by any stretch, but consider myself a good cook. I can follow any recipe and technique, and with so much online it's pretty easy. I also am pretty instinctive in just knowing options to throw together. Pretty much can come up with a good meal with seemingly nothing in the house. I started with the grill, then graduated to smoking as well (I'm a beast on the Traeger). So steak, ribs, tri tip with Santa Maria chicken, pulled pork, veggies, etc. From the grill I have a very good knack of when things are done to the right temperature, by look or touch. Some people are not instinctive with that and have to rely on specific times, thermometers, etc.

Seems these days at least 10 months a year I'm on the program, heavy protein, salads, low carbs, lots of roasted veggies or stir frys. What I do well:

• Steak. Alton Brown method. Just money. As good as any $$$$ steakhouse.
  • Blackened shrimp, chicken, steak, etc (love my cast iron skillet)
  • I make MEAN chicken enchiladas (will post later but I basically take seasoned shredded chicken, yellow onion, green onion, diced green chili's, roasted Serrano peppers, shredded Mexican cheese and green enchilada sauce and mix together. Then I roll the tortillas with the mixture, top with more enchilada sauce, cheese and olives and bake. My kids demand it day one when they come home on a break from college. I'll make 4 or 5 trays at a time).
  • I make the Rachel Ray flank steak recipe - very very good.
  • Every Christmas dinner MUST include Savannah Chop House creamed corn.
  • Fajitas - shrimp, chicken
  • Stir frys
  • Salmon - lots of different ways. Simple salt and pepper, roasted with Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Magic
  • Fish tacos - halibut or whatever is fresh locally. The slaw is key.
  • Fresh salad dressings. So easy to make multiple variations of vinaigrettes. Just have different vinegars, good EVOO, salt, pepper, Dijon mustard as base. Can do shallots, garlic, honey to sweeten, lemon/other citrus, etc
  • Judge Smails chili of course, but hate to admit it's a once or twice a year thing.
  • Ground turkey - for a lot of things. I can season turkey meatballs or meatloaf to come out great
  • Obviously on a protein program I've learned to do chicken many different ways. Love simple roasted chicken with veggies. But also like chicken Milanese on a bed of arugula, seared chicken with Lawry's Poultry seasoning.
  • Agree with others about roasted veggies. Nothing better. Olive oil, salt and pepper. We do asparagus, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, zucchini, etc. When not on the program roasted fingerling potatoes are great.

I don't bother with sharpening steel and stones anymore, drop $10 on one of these and sharpening is a fool proof snap. Replacement blades are less than $5. I've been using these for 10+ years and they are great. I keep one at home, and one in my tackle box for my filet knife (I fish a lot). Just run the knife over the v blades a couple of times with decent pressure, then 2 or 3 times with a light touch. Perfect for home use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/other/aw/d/B00004VWKQ?cache=6d3be4b133f0ca2fb695ecb6d4560532#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1391975123&sr=8-1&precache=1

Eta: blades in the sharpener need to be replaced once in a while, but you can flip them upside down and get twice the usage out of them before you replace them because theyre double sided. I replace blades in mine every year or so depending on use.
Ordered! Have been looking for a good sharpener... Thanks for posting.

Huge Blackdot on this thread... I'll be sharing and stealing...

It's just a harsh environment that's going to dull the knife and likely hurt it's longevity. It can also be dangerous to the unloader.

If you really don't want to handwash knives, I'd just suggest the cheapest decent knife possible. You're basically turning a tool that could last a lifetime into something of a disposable product. Needs to be cheap enough that you don't mind replacing it often.

The Sam's chef's knives would be a good choice there, I think. They aren't going to hold up very well in a dishwasher (make sure you have a good sharpening procedure), but no knife is. They are a pretty good knife and still dirt cheap to replace.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bakers-chefs-cook-s-knives-2-pk/prod5250044.ip?navAction=
Thx. This could be a good combo with the sharpener that everyone is mentioning

Great thread. I'll post more detail and recipes when I get some more time. I'm not classically trained by any stretch, but consider myself a good cook. I can follow any recipe and technique, and with so much online it's pretty easy. I also am pretty instinctive in just knowing options to throw together. Pretty much can come up with a good meal with seemingly nothing in the house. I started with the grill, then graduated to smoking as well (I'm a beast on the Traeger). So steak, ribs, tri tip with Santa Maria chicken, pulled pork, veggies, etc. From the grill I have a very good knack of when things are done to the right temperature, by look or touch. Some people are not instinctive with that and have to rely on specific times, thermometers, etc.

Seems these days at least 10 months a year I'm on the program, heavy protein, salads, low carbs, lots of roasted veggies or stir frys. What I do well:

• Steak. Alton Brown method. Just money. As good as any $$$$ steakhouse.
  • Blackened shrimp, chicken, steak, etc (love my cast iron skillet)
  • I make MEAN chicken enchiladas (will post later but I basically take seasoned shredded chicken, yellow onion, green onion, diced green chili's, roasted Serrano peppers, shredded Mexican cheese and green enchilada sauce and mix together. Then I roll the tortillas with the mixture, top with more enchilada sauce, cheese and olives and bake. My kids demand it day one when they come home on a break from college. I'll make 4 or 5 trays at a time).
  • I make the Rachel Ray flank steak recipe - very very good.
  • Every Christmas dinner MUST include Savannah Chop House creamed corn.
  • Fajitas - shrimp, chicken
  • Stir frys
  • Salmon - lots of different ways. Simple salt and pepper, roasted with Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Magic
  • Fish tacos - halibut or whatever is fresh locally. The slaw is key.
  • Fresh salad dressings. So easy to make multiple variations of vinaigrettes. Just have different vinegars, good EVOO, salt, pepper, Dijon mustard as base. Can do shallots, garlic, honey to sweeten, lemon/other citrus, etc
  • Judge Smails chili of course, but hate to admit it's a once or twice a year thing.
  • Ground turkey - for a lot of things. I can season turkey meatballs or meatloaf to come out great
  • Obviously on a protein program I've learned to do chicken many different ways. Love simple roasted chicken with veggies. But also like chicken Milanese on a bed of arugula, seared chicken with Lawry's Poultry seasoning.
  • Agree with others about roasted veggies. Nothing better. Olive oil, salt and pepper. We do asparagus, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, zucchini, etc. When not on the program roasted fingerling potatoes are great.
What do you do for your blackened shrimp?

Thx. This could be a good combo with the sharpener that everyone is mentioning
Cutco knives arent cheap, but they only need sharpened once every 10 years or so. Ive used mine hard for 25 years and Ive only ever sent them back to be sharpened twice (they come with free lifetime sharpening). Put them through the dishwasher and everything. They have a patented Double-D serrated edge that is always sharp. Dont get suckered into a giant set though, all you really need is this 6" Carver. I love it so much I take it on vacation with me.

I received a Wusthof Grand Prix ii (8") for Christmas, and I'm in love with it. The difference between a quality knife and something you buy from Bed Bath & Beyond is like night and day. I've heard that the German steel (Wusthof and Henckels) are very strong, and thus hard to sharpen compared to Japanese steel (Global, Shun, etc). I'll probably get a Japanese blade next just to compare the two.

So no meal to cook today as it is left over day but I am taking the opportunity to resupply my two staples which are tomato sauce and stock.

=============================

Beef Stock

*Beef marrow bones

*Center cut shin bone (mix of meat and bone)

*Carrots, onion, celery and tomatoes

*Everything into a big pot, fill with water until ingredients are covered (be careful not to add too much water)

*Add salt

*Bring to boil and let simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally

*Then strain out stock and squeeze out all veggies into strainer (lots of flavor)

*Let cool in fridge over night. Next morning skim any fat that has come to top and store in appropriate sized contained to freeze

Basic Tomato Sauce

* onions and garlic sauted

* canned tomatoes (crushed or whole put through food mill)

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

* add seared pork to sauce

* add salt, sugar, and basil

* let simmer covered for 90 minutes and then let simmer for another 60 with cover askew

* let cool and then freeze in appropriate sized containers

Since I can't get to my grill (is this winter ever going to end?), how do you guys like to cook hamburgers inside? Do you use cast iron skillet on stove top or broiler or other method?

Since I can't get to my grill (is this winter ever going to end?), how do you guys like to cook hamburgers inside? Do you use cast iron skillet on stove top or broiler or other method?
We use this griddle pan heated extremely hot before putting the burger on. 4-5 minutes each side. Perfect medium-rare. We also use a screen to minimize splatter.

We use this griddle pan heated extremely hot before putting the burger on. 4-5 minutes each side. Perfect medium-rare. We also use a screen to minimize splatter.
do you have gas or electric stove top?

Gas... good God! Electric stove tops are a creation of the devil himself.

I have never cooked on a gas stove top in my life. :(

In my next house, that is going to be a priority. Wife does not want a gas tank in yard so we need to buy a house with a direct line.

I have never cooked on a gas stove top in my life. :(

In my next house, that is going to be a priority. Wife does not want a gas tank in yard so we need to buy a house with a direct line.
OMG dude... night and day. The ability to turn off (or on) a burner, and have it actually be hot (or not) as soon as you do it, is awesome... makes cooking so much easier.

So no meal to cook today as it is left over day but I am taking the opportunity to resupply my two staples which are tomato sauce and stock.

=============================

Basic Tomato Sauce

* onions and garlic sauted

* canned tomatoes (crushed or whole put through food mill)

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

* add seared pork to sauce

* add salt, sugar, and basil

* let simmer covered for 90 minutes and then let simmer for another 60 with cover askew

* let cool and then freeze in appropriate sized containers
I know you've been doing this a while, but why not sear the pork in the same pot you're using to make the sauce? I'd make it the first step, that way you get to keep the rendered fat and crispy pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread