What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cooking Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

So no meal to cook today as it is left over day but I am taking the opportunity to resupply my two staples which are tomato sauce and stock.

=============================

Basic Tomato Sauce

* onions and garlic sauted

* canned tomatoes (crushed or whole put through food mill)

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

* add seared pork to sauce

* add salt, sugar, and basil

* let simmer covered for 90 minutes and then let simmer for another 60 with cover askew

* let cool and then freeze in appropriate sized containers
I know you've been doing this a while, but why not sear the pork in the same pot you're using to make the sauce? I'd make it the first step, that way you get to keep the rendered fat and crispy pieces.
You have a good question.

My only answer is that this is the way my family has cooked it going back to both of my grandmothers, both of whom grew up in Sicily.

I do scrape everything from frying pan into the sauce, so I get most of the goodies.

fair enough. Sounds good to me. what kind of pork do you use? is this a cured pork like bacon/pancetta, or something else?

fair enough. Sounds good to me. what kind of pork do you use? is this a cured pork like bacon/pancetta, or something else?
I use what ever pork tends to be on sale. My mom used to get her pork friom the butcher in the old Boston North end by saying "give me pork for the gravy". I never knew what cut it was :)

I have used country style ribs, pork cutlets, etc. Nothing in the bacon territory.

So no meal to cook today as it is left over day but I am taking the opportunity to resupply my two staples which are tomato sauce and stock.

Basic Tomato Sauce

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

* let simmer covered for 90 minutes and then let simmer for another 60 with cover askew

I know you've been doing this a while, but why not sear the pork in the same pot you're using to make the sauce? I'd make it the first step, that way you get to keep the rendered fat and crispy pieces.

My only answer is that this is the way my family has cooked it going back to both of my grandmothers, both of whom grew up in Sicily.

I do scrape everything from frying pan into the sauce, so I get most of the goodies.
aside from rendering the pork and using that fat to saute the garlic and onion, deglaze with some red wine.

Basic Tomato Sauce

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

aside from rendering the pork and using that fat to saute the garlic and onion, deglaze with some red wine.
I think I need to mention this is a very basic tomato sauce that I then use as a baseline for building various tomato sauces when cooking later. I try to keep this some what neutral because I add flavors later when building the more complex sauces to pair with what I am making the sauce for.

Cold weather has inspired me to do a big pot of pasta fagioli

- 4oz pancetta rendered. Remove and set aside, leave fat

- small yellow onion and 2 stalks of celery sautéed in the fat and olive oil

- add 2 cans of cannellini beans, a can of diced tomatoes and pancetta

Mix that up and let it go for 3-5 mins

- add 64 oz chicken stock, sprig of thyme, bay leaf or two

Bring to boil, then let simmer for an hour

- Add 1/2 LB of small pasta, that's been cooked halfway. I usually use Barilla ditalini. Finish cooking it in soup.

Sprinkle some grated Parmesan when plated. Nice toasted Italian bread on the side and dig in.

I received a Wusthof Grand Prix ii (8") for Christmas, and I'm in love with it. The difference between a quality knife and something you buy from Bed Bath & Beyond is like night and day. I've heard that the German steel (Wusthof and Henckels) are very strong, and thus hard to sharpen compared to Japanese steel (Global, Shun, etc). I'll probably get a Japanese blade next just to compare the two.
I'm a big fan of Wusthof. I got a set of the Classics when I went to culinary school and have never felt the need to upgrade.

Tonight I am making something I have never tried.

Pork Carnitas

Here is the general recipe I am following (from America's Test Kitchen).

* 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes and some fat trimmed

* Cubes into a large dutch oven with an onion cut in half, orange juice (from one orange), lime juice (2 tbs), orange peel, oregano, bay leaves, salt, cumin, and black pepper

* A small amount of water is added and brought to a simmer on stove top and then into 300 degree oven for at least 2 hours

* Take out when meat is fork tender

* Remove all meat from pan and separate (not shred) with two forks and put on cookie sheet

* remove all solids from liquid and reduce down to a glaze

* add glaze on to meat and then broil on low shelf for 16 minutes (flip meat at 8 minute point). This step crisps up the meat

Serve on home made tortilla's (these I have made and are great!) with caramelized red onions

Tortilla Recipe

* 13 oz of flour, 1.5 tsp of salt, and 1.5 tsp of baking powder into food processor, pulsed to mix

* add 1/3 cups of Crisco into food processor in small chunks

* pulse until Crisco looks like peas

* slowly add water while food processor running until dough comes together

* take out and kneed until smooth. Let rest in ball under wrap for 1 hour

* roll out into 12 even tortillas (about 7-8 inches wide)

* cook for ~1 minute a side on cast iron pan/skillet on medium heat (spin the tortilla's while cooking every 10 seconds so to not burn spots)
This came out ok tonight.

The technique used was excellent but the flavor profile was a little too bitter for me. I think that may have been due to the orange rind. I am just going to omit that next time.

I had some left over tortilla's for the first time so I am going to try and freeze them to see how they do.
with the left over Carnitas I am going to make a heaping plate of nachos with Monterrey jack cheese and some salsa.

NewlyRetired said:
bierfiend said:
NewlyRetired said:
Rick James said:
NewlyRetired said:

Basic Tomato Sauce

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

I think I need to mention this is a very basic tomato sauce that I then use as a baseline for building various tomato sauces when cooking later. I try to keep this some what neutral because I add flavors later when building the more complex sauces to pair with what I am making the sauce for.
What do you do with the pork? Do you cut it up? Do you leave it in large pieces and then remove it when it is done to eat separately? Not being raised Italian, neither my mother nor my grandmother mother made sauces like this!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of knives that won't cost a fortune?

I typically use a chef's knife 90% of the time.
My thought on the knives is that you don't need to go out and spend a fortune on a hundred knives that you won't use all the time. There is also nothing bad about mismatching knives in a block! I got one of these a year or two ago and I use it for most everything. I got my paring knives from Ikea for nothing. My carving set is an antique hand-me-down, and I have had my other knives for 20+ years. Get one or two good knives that you are going to use all the time, keep the others that you have and get a sharpener to keep them sharp. A sharp ok knife is going to cut better than a dull expensive one! :2cents:
Knife Sharpener: http://www.lowes.com/pd_120412-10803-CCKS_0__?productId=1205937&Ntt=knife+sharpener&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dknife%2Bsharpener&facetInfo=

Cheap, small, works better than anything else for a quick touchup. I keep a few in the knife drawer so at least one will be easy to find, one in my work truck, another in my fishing tackle box. Gave them away as gifts one Christmas to all the guys. Works great and in a few strokes will give an edge for whatever you need. I keep a steel for show but these toys are for real!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of knives that won't cost a fortune?

I typically use a chef's knife 90% of the time.
My thought on the knives is that you don't need to go out and spend a fortune on a hundred knives that you won't use all the time. There is also nothing bad about mismatching knives in a block! I got one of these a year or two ago and I use it for most everything. I got my paring knives from Ikea for nothing. My carving set is an antique hand-me-down, and I have had my other knives for 20+ years. Get one or two good knives that you are going to use all the time, keep the others that you have and get a sharpener to keep them sharp. A sharp ok knife is going to cut better than a dull expensive one! :2cents:
Knife Sharpener: http://www.lowes.com/pd_120412-10803-CCKS_0__?productId=1205937&Ntt=knife+sharpener&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dknife%2Bsharpener&facetInfo=

Cheap, small, works better than anything else for a quick touchup. I keep a few in the knife drawer so at least one will be easy to find, one in my work truck, another in my fishing tackle box. Gave them away as gifts one Christmas to all the guys. Works great and in a few strokes will give an edge for whatever you need. I keep a steel for show but these toys are for real!
:silverplatter:

NewlyRetired said:
bierfiend said:
NewlyRetired said:
Rick James said:
NewlyRetired said:

Basic Tomato Sauce

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

What do you do with the pork? Do you cut it up? Do you leave it in large pieces and then remove it when it is done to eat separately? Not being raised Italian, neither my mother nor my grandmother mother made sauces like this!
I leave it in big pieces. In my family, meat was always left in (meatballs, sausages, pork etc) during cooking and then taken out, put in a side dish and served with the pasta.

There is no one right way to make sauce (hope my mom did not hear me type that :) )

NewlyRetired said:
bierfiend said:
NewlyRetired said:
Rick James said:
NewlyRetired said:

Basic Tomato Sauce

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

I leave it in big pieces. In my family, meat was always left in (meatballs, sausages, pork etc) during cooking and then taken out, put in a side dish and served with the pasta.

There is no one right way to make sauce (hope my mom did not hear me type that :) )
How about ratios? rough is OK.

Tonight I am making something I have never tried.

Pork Carnitas

Here is the general recipe I am following (from America's Test Kitchen).

* 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes and some fat trimmed

* Cubes into a large dutch oven with an onion cut in half, orange juice (from one orange), lime juice (2 tbs), orange peel, oregano, bay leaves, salt, cumin, and black pepper

* A small amount of water is added and brought to a simmer on stove top and then into 300 degree oven for at least 2 hours

* Take out when meat is fork tender

* Remove all meat from pan and separate (not shred) with two forks and put on cookie sheet

* remove all solids from liquid and reduce down to a glaze

* add glaze on to meat and then broil on low shelf for 16 minutes (flip meat at 8 minute point). This step crisps up the meat

Serve on home made tortilla's (these I have made and are great!) with caramelized red onions

Tortilla Recipe

* 13 oz of flour, 1.5 tsp of salt, and 1.5 tsp of baking powder into food processor, pulsed to mix

* add 1/3 cups of Crisco into food processor in small chunks

* pulse until Crisco looks like peas

* slowly add water while food processor running until dough comes together

* take out and kneed until smooth. Let rest in ball under wrap for 1 hour

* roll out into 12 even tortillas (about 7-8 inches wide)

* cook for ~1 minute a side on cast iron pan/skillet on medium heat (spin the tortilla's while cooking every 10 seconds so to not burn spots)
This came out ok tonight.

The technique used was excellent but the flavor profile was a little too bitter for me. I think that may have been due to the orange rind. I am just going to omit that next time.

I had some left over tortilla's for the first time so I am going to try and freeze them to see how they do.
Seemed like a solid recipe. The pith's bitterness can destroy anything. Maybe give it another go using a microplane for zest or a vegetable peeler for a pith-less peel?

NewlyRetired said:
bierfiend said:
NewlyRetired said:
Rick James said:
NewlyRetired said:

Basic Tomato Sauce

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

Remember this is just a basic sauce, if I was intending this to be my finished sauce for a meal it would be a little different

2 TBS olive oil

1 onion chopped

2 big garlic cloves minced

4 28oz cans tomatoes (if whole, put through food mill)

2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

5ish basil leaves

1 pound pork

Last edited by a moderator:

- Add 1/2 LB of small pasta, that's been cooked halfway. I usually use Barilla ditalini. Finish cooking it in soup.

Sprinkle some grated Parmesan when plated. Nice toasted Italian bread on the side and dig in.
One of my favorite soups. Here's mine.

This winter has been brutal so making more soups, stews, and chili's than normal. Tonight I'm making a ham and potato soup. Pretty basic. Ham, potatoes, stock, carrot, onion. Simmer for a few hours, Add milk, sour cream. Cook a bit more. Done.

Today I am cooking some simple comfort food.

Salisbury Steak

* 90% lean ground beef (angus). Mixed with egg, bread crumb, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper and formed into oval patties

* mushrooms sliced and onions diced

* sauté onions and mushrooms in frying pan separately

* sauté beef about 4 minutes a side in skillet

* remove beef and deglaze pan with beef stock and red wine vinegar.

* add mushrooms and onions and let simmer

* add corn starch slurry to thicken mushroom sauce

* add back in beef, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes

Serve over mash potatoes, with corn and italian bread
Sweet - big fan of the salisbury steak

One of my favorite soups. Here's mine. This winter has been brutal so making more soups, stews, and chili's than normal. Tonight I'm making a ham and potato soup. Pretty basic. Ham, potatoes, stock, carrot, onion. Simmer for a few hours, Add milk, sour cream. Cook a bit more. Done.
Similar. I just did mine a little bit ago and did add a garlic clove. And used probably like 48oz of broth, not 64.

One of my favorite soups. Here's mine. This winter has been brutal so making more soups, stews, and chili's than normal. Tonight I'm making a ham and potato soup. Pretty basic. Ham, potatoes, stock, carrot, onion. Simmer for a few hours, Add milk, sour cream. Cook a bit more. Done.
Similar. I just did mine a little bit ago and did add a garlic clove. And used probably like 48oz of broth, not 64.
I do a similar soup I call ham & potato chowder...I thicken it with roux and add a couple of cups of shredded cheddar cheese to it.

NewlyRetired said:
NewlyRetired said:
bierfiend said:
NewlyRetired said:

Basic Tomato Sauce

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

Remember this is just a basic sauce, if I was intending this to be my finished sauce for a meal it would be a little different

2 TBS olive oil

1 onion chopped

2 big garlic cloves minced

4 28oz cans tomatoes (if whole, put through food mill)

2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

5ish basil leaves

1 pound pork
Thanks, my sauce turns out to be more like a Bolognese, and one of my kids isn't a fan of it, so I am looking for a more meatless sauce. This looks good.

Thanks, my sauce turns out to be more like a Bolognese, and one of my kids isn't a fan of it, so I am looking for a more meatless sauce. This looks good.
Sounds a bit like my wife.

My wife does not like anything in her sauce in terms of chunks. So I add what ever flavor I can and then remove the meat and then use a hand blender to smooth out the sauce (if using crushed tomatoes instead of whole in a food mill, the sauce can be a tiny bit chunky which she does not like).

Does anyone have a good recipe/technique for making french fries that does not involve deep frying?
Cut your potatoes and place them in a pot of salted, cold water. Bring it to a boil and take it off the heat. Drain the potatoes and spread them out on a sheet of some sorts and let them dry. Completely. Once they're dry you can sauté them up very quickly and they'll come out fantastic.

I make pommes persillade quite a bit and this is exactly how I do it, minus the garlic, parsley and butter.

Does anyone have a good recipe/technique for making french fries that does not involve deep frying?
Cut your potatoes and place them in a pot of salted, cold water. Bring it to a boil and take it off the heat. Drain the potatoes and spread them out on a sheet of some sorts and let them dry. Completely. Once they're dry you can sauté them up very quickly and they'll come out fantastic.

I make pommes persillade quite a bit and this is exactly how I do it, minus the garlic, parsley and butter.
I missed this post yesterday.

I tried the following method that was decent but I may try yours next time as it looks like less oil.

Cut yukon gold into fries

Sprinkle with sugar and place in colander (sugar helps release some of the juices) for 25 minutes

Dry potatoes completely

Add oil, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.

Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes until brown and crispy.

Tonight I am doing a form of pasta arrabiata.

In a heavy skillet heat olive oil

Add garlic (sliced thin), parsley and crushed red pepper to oil and sauté

Add stock(beef or chicken) and add tomato sauce to skillet (see my earlier post on the basic sauce recipe)

Add a splash of balsalmic vinegar

Let simmer for 20 minutes uncovered

Cook pasta on side and add directly to skillet when done.

Let blend in sauce for a minute and then serve.

Add stock(beef or chicken) and add tomato sauce to skillet (see my earlier post on the basic sauce recipe)

Sounds good but why add stock?

Sounds good but why add stock?
It adds an extra depth of flavor and makes it taste "richer" for lack of a better term. When it is reduced over the 20 minutes the flavor really intensifies.

Chili

2 lbs ground beef

1 pound beans

1/2 cup ketchup

little log of chorizo

1 lb bacon

1 cup beef broth

salt

cook your ground beef. burn that #### if you have to. add everything else and stir. leave on the stove a long time uncovered.

I missed this post yesterday.

I tried the following method that was decent but I may try yours next time as it looks like less oil.

Cut yukon gold into fries

Sprinkle with sugar and place in colander (sugar helps release some of the juices) for 25 minutes

Dry potatoes completely

Add oil, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.

Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes until brown and crispy.
I've never tried Oven Fries (not sure I'll ever overcome my preconceived bias against them), but here's the Cook's Illustrated recipe:

INGREDIENTS

3 russet potatoes (about 8 ounces each), peeled, each potato cut lengthwise into 10 to 12 evenly sized wedges

5 tablespoons vegetable oil or peanut oil

Salt and ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position; heat oven to 475 degrees. Place potatoes in large bowl and cover with hot tap water; soak 10 minutes. Meanwhile, coat 18 by 12-inch heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet (see note) with 4 tablespoons oil and sprinkle evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.

2. Drain potatoes. Spread potatoes out on triple layer of paper towels and thoroughly pat dry with additional paper towels. Rinse and wipe out now-empty bowl; return potatoes to bowl and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange potatoes in single layer on prepared baking sheet; cover tightly with foil and bake 5 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until bottoms of potatoes are spotty golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating baking sheet after 10 minutes. Using metal spatula and tongs, scrape to loosen potatoes from pan, then flip each wedge, keeping potatoes in single layer. Continue baking until fries are golden and crisp, 5 to 15 minutes longer, rotating pan as needed if fries are browning unevenly.

3. Transfer fries to second baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Chili 2 lbs ground beef1 pound beans1/2 cup ketchuplittle log of chorizo1 lb bacon1 cup beef broth salt cook your ground beef. burn that #### if you have to. add everything else and stir. leave on the stove a long time uncovered.
No peppers?
Although, chili without any actual chile is quite popular around here, I think scoresman is joking.
I thought so too but did not want to sound rude in case he wasn't. :)

Chili 2 lbs ground beef1 pound beans1/2 cup ketchuplittle log of chorizo1 lb bacon1 cup beef broth salt cook your ground beef. burn that #### if you have to. add everything else and stir. leave on the stove a long time uncovered.
No peppers?
Although, chili without any actual chile is quite popular around here, I think scoresman is joking.
I thought so too but did not want to sound rude in case he wasn't. :)
That's probably prudent.

Though, chorizo sounds like a nice chili addition I'll have to try that.

Here is todays fun.

I am breaking down a whole chicken.

With the wings and backbone and others, I am making a stock (pretty much the exact same recipe as the beef stock I posted earlier).

With the drumsticks, thighs and breasts (all bone in), I am making some Baked Chicken.

* Oven at 325

* Bottom of tray lightly coated with olive oil

* Add chopped onion and garlic to tray

* Add chicken skin side down

* Add in sliced potatoes

* Add salt, pepper, oregano, and Romano cheese.

* Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once

* Add chicken stock made earlier (about 1/2 cup to start)

* Bake 30 more minutes flipping once

* Add frozen peas and let cook until chicken is correct temp and all veggies soft. (30-45 minutes). Add stock if starting to dry out.

With left over chicken stock, I am saving until tomorrow and will be doing risotto arrincini's. .

Just did a boneless prime rib for Valentine's Day. Saw a recipe online. Guaranteed medium rare without a meat thermometer, etc.

Basically let prime rib dry overnight in the fridge (unwrapped). Then about 3 hours before cooking take out of refrigerator, let get room temperature. 30 minutes before cooking liberally season with coarse kosher salt (a lot) and pepper and put oven to 500.

Then the math. For every pound, cook 5 minutes and then turn the oven off for 2 hours untouched, without opening it. I thought it was crazy. Sure enough, did a 4 pounder, cooked 20 minutes at 500 then turned the oven off. 2 hours later and it was a perfect medium rare (though end cuts obviously more well). It was pretty freakin' fool proof. Just don't open the oven. Works best on smaller roasts, 4-8 pounds.

NewlyRetired said:
With left over chicken stock, I am saving until tomorrow and will be doing risotto arrincini's. .
Oh yes...one of my favorites. I would make it more if it weren't such a pain in the ###.

I usually do a parmesan/pancetta/mushroom/sweet pea risotto. Make a ton because after a night in the fridge there's only one thing to do with the leftover. Bread em and fry those bad boys up'

Enjoy. Can't wait to hear how they turn out.

Here's my red beans and rice recipe. It's a New Orleans staple.....it's pretty easy, but it takes time; you need to be stirring it for a few hours (can be doing other things in between). Because of this, I typically make the amounts shown below x 4 and freeze the rest (it freezes very well)

1 large white onion chopped

4-6 cloves of garlic chopped
3 stalks of celery chopped
1 pound red beans (soak them in a large bowl of water overnight - shortens the cooking time the next day)
1 pound bell pepper
1 pound andouille sausage (or ham) chopped
8 cups water or chicken stock
2 bay leaves

1. Fry sausage (ham) until it browns...remove and set aside
2. In pan grease, fry onions, bell pepper and celery...when onions go clear, add garlic and sausage
3. Stir frequently...don't let garlic turn brown
4. Add water and beans
5. Cook on med-low heat and stir frequently, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking
6. Cook for 4-6 hours, adding water every so often until you get the right consistency (you want everything to basically cook down and for thebeans to be mushy)
7. Remove bay leafs before serving
8. Add salt and pepper to taste (I like 1.5 tsp of each per lb of meat)

Here's a pic of what the bean portion should look like, it's basically everything just cooked down a helluva lot - http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/images/red-beans2.jpg

Like any soup, it's best once it's sat overnight....but hard to resist right away

Tonight is rissoto arinicini's. I make these some what regularly. Here is the general process:

*Saute a small shallot in olive oil in a heavy skillet

*Add arborio rice and coat in the oil for about a minute

*Add 1/2 cup white wine until rice absorbs it

*Continue to add 1/2 cup chicken stock at a time until it is absorbed, stirring constantly

*Takes about 35-40 minutes until rice is cooked

*Take off heat, add black pepper and parmesian cheese (my stock is salted so I don't add salt but taste to test)

*Spread out rice on flat dish to let cool

*The rice will be sticky when it cools so no need for a binder

*Roll into balls and stuff with mozzarella cheese. Coat with bread crumbs

*Fry in deep pan in crisco until golden brown

*Serve with a spicey tomato dipping sauce (we use our pizza sauce we make).

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
35-40 mins seems long. I usually cook mine between 20-25 mins. Is your stock hot when you're adding it?

35-40 mins seems long. I usually cook mine between 20-25 mins.
You are absolutely correct. I honestly have no idea why mine takes longer. I should have mentioned that in my post to not throw people off.

Every recipe I have seen is in your time range but if I stop at 25 minutes, the rice is way too chewy.

I wonder if I stir at too low a cook top temp? I tend to use a low to medium setting, where I will see bubbles if I stop stirring for a few seconds. I also make sure the broth is already hot when adding it to the rice. What do you use for a temp?

Edit: In looking around the net, it appears that a lot of people end up cooking in my time range. I will experiment with a little more heat today to see if that reduces the time at all and make sure my stock is simmering instead of just hot.

http://forums.finecooking.com/cookstalk/cooking-discussion/why-does-my-risotto-take-so-long

Made an absolute killer roasted pepper pasta sauce that I found online. It can easily double as a soup (hot or cold) or a sandwich spread:

• 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 cups red wine (I used a cheap bottle of merlot i had around)
  • 4 cups roasted peppers (Approximately 6 large assorted (red, orange, yellow) peppers)
  • 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (I used chili powder b/c I didn't have paprika)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
METHOD1 If you are using jarred peppers, drain away the marinade and soak them in a large bowl of cold water. If you skip this step, the sauce will become too acidic. Soak for 10-15 minutes before proceeding.

2 Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté, stirring from time to time, until it is wilted and translucent, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle some salt over the onions as they cook.

3 Add the garlic and sage, mix well, and sauté another minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until the paste begins to turn a brick red.

4 Add the red wine and stir well. Turn the heat up to high and let this boil down by half. Stir in the roasted red peppers and turn the heat back down to medium. Let this simmer for 10-20 minutes – it’s pretty forgiving at this point. You just want the peppers to be cooked through and soft.

5 Purée the sauce in a blender. You might need to do this in batches, because you don’t want to fill your blender more than 2/3 up at one time. Purée the sauce, starting with the machine on low for 1-2 minutes to break up the big pieces. Turn off the blender and scrape the sides down. Turn it on again, and starting at the low setting, bring it up to its highest setting. Purée for at least a minute, until smooth.

6 Return the sauce to the pan and heat to medium-low. Taste for salt and add some if needed. Add the cayenne or hot paprika, along with smoked paprika if you have some. If you want, a teaspoon of sugar helps, too, if your peppers are not already sweet enough. Keep the sauce warm while you make the pasta.

7 Make the pasta according to the package instructions, depending on the type of pasta you are using.

8 To serve, drain the cooked pasta and put it into a large bowl. Ladle some sauce over the pasta and mix with tongs to combine. You want to coat all the noodles evenly. Divide into servings. Garnish with some grated cheese and minced fresh sage. Serve with a medium-bodied red wine, or a dry rose.

You are absolutely correct. I honestly have no idea why mine takes longer. I should have mentioned that in my post to not throw people off.Every recipe I have seen is in your time range but if I stop at 25 minutes, the rice is way too chewy.

I wonder if I stir at too low a cook top temp? I tend to use a low to medium setting, where I will see bubbles if I stop stirring for a few seconds. I also make sure the broth is already hot when adding it to the rice. What do you use for a temp?

Edit: In looking around the net, it appears that a lot of people end up cooking in my time range. I will experiment with a little more heat today to see if that reduces the time at all and make sure my stock is simmering instead of just hot.

http://forums.finecooking.com/cookstalk/cooking-discussion/why-does-my-risotto-take-so-long
Yeah, I bet raising your temp on your rice pot and stock pot will cut some time down. Are you stirring like a maniac, lol?

You are absolutely correct. I honestly have no idea why mine takes longer. I should have mentioned that in my post to not throw people off.Every recipe I have seen is in your time range but if I stop at 25 minutes, the rice is way too chewy.

Yeah, I bet raising your temp on your rice pot and stock pot will cut some time down. Are you stirring like a maniac, lol?
I stir constantly. Should I let it sit and bubble between stirs?

I was planning to go to movies with family today but since it is snowing yet again, we are staying home so I am making some Banana Bread. This is a healthier version I learned when losing weight a couple of years ago and we liked it so much we stuck with it even when not counting calories any more

*Combine 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt into a mixing bowl

*1/2 cup apple sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tbs margarine, and 3 packets of equal into a bowl, well mixed

*2 eggs beaten

*4 ripe banana's mashed

*mix egg, bananas, and apple sauce/sugar mixture together

*chopped up 1/2 cup of nuts (your choice)

*mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, add nuts and stir until just blended (do not over mix)

*into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 55 minutes

Could also be the amount of stock you are adding. You are getting quicker absorption, but need to add more frequently...

Users who are viewing this thread