What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (1 Viewer)

Any brave souls out there? Thinking about it. 
I drafted Sutton and Golladay so yeah, I’m pretty much forced to start Cooks. It’s the same injury he had going into last week and he played so with 10 days off I’m assuming he plays this week. I heard no reports of him aggravating the injury worse so I’m rolling with him.

Rolling out Anthony Miller over him once again. After Baltimore-Pitt, or if he shows to be involved, I'll probably have to play him. 

DFS it’s maybe not a the worst contrarian play to roll out Fuller/Cooks - I expect a lot of garbage time with Baltimore up 10+ most of the game. HOU will not be ground and pound in this game, IMO. More like chuck & duck for Watson. Hoping for 300+ / 2 from him with ~40 RuYd. 

I expect Baltimore to be all over Fuller, so Cooks could be the better play. 

100% speculation of course. I am not Ms Cleo.

Rolling with Jeudy or Cohen instead in PPR -- likely Jeudy.

Cooks has to show me something first before I can trust him. 

Can someone remind me if my recollection is correct -- coming into the season, wasn't Cooks generally seen as the consensus WR to have on this offense? I don't think his or Fuller's projections were that far apart, but their values have completely shot in opposite directions after only 1 game.

To me, Cooks felt like at Top 30 receiver. Trying to figure out if he still has that potential value after just one game into the season.

Things move fast.

Rolling with Jeudy or Cohen instead in PPR -- likely Jeudy.

Cooks has to show me something first before I can trust him. 

Can someone remind me if my recollection is correct -- coming into the season, wasn't Cooks generally seen as the consensus WR to have on this offense? I don't think his or Fuller's projections were that far apart, but their values have completely shot in opposite directions after only 1 game.

To me, Cooks felt like at Top 30 receiver. Trying to figure out if he still has that potential value after just one game into the season.

Things move fast.
Agreed. I think if he can get closer to 70% of snaps he’ll be ok. His air yards and targets were ok. He can be a #2/3 guy if/when he gets healthy and gets a full share.

ETA: I don’t know about others but I had Fuller >> Cooks and it was going that way early on in best ball until Cooks ADP start to shoot up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandin Cooks caught 5-of-8 targets for 95 yards in Houston's Week 2 loss to the Ravens.

Cooks was Houston's only threat on offense Sunday as Will Fuller (undisclosed) was sporadically in and out of the team's lineup and on the trainer's table all afternoon. It's an encouraging showing after Cooks totaled 20 yards in Houston's Week 1 loss. His 36-yard explosion over the top of Baltimore's secondary helped setup Darren Fells' receiving score inside the 10. Cooks has a nightmarish matchup against the Steelers in Week 2, but he'll be a worthy FLEX option if Fuller is sidelined.

Sep 20, 2020, 9:50 PM ET

Brandin Cooks (quad) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice. 

By now we know that Cooks is going to play through his limited/questionable tags, but it is noteworthy that he has yet to get in a full practice. Cooks' usage and production both spiked in Week 2, but the Texans' passing attack has another rough Week 3 matchup in the Steelers. Cooks belongs in the WR36-40 range. 

Sep 24, 2020, 4:41 PM ET

Brandin Cooks caught 3-of-5 targets for 23 yards in Houston's Week 3 loss to the Steelers.

A majority of his production came on a 20-yard gain from a shallow crossing route, leading to Randall Cobb's 28-yard touchdown over the middle of the field to cap the drive. The good news is Cooks' five targets tied Will Fuller (4/54/1) for a team-high mark. Both receivers find themselves in a juicy matchup against the Vikings next week, pinning Cooks as a confident FLEX option in Week 4.

Sep 27, 2020, 5:31 PM ET

Thinking of dropping him for Jefferson / Higgins. I believe they have more upside if they hit, where low - mid WR2 is near Cooks' ceiling in this offense.

feels like a good buy low if you can. schedule gets a lot easier the next several weeks. 
I agree. He was dealing with an injury to start the season, had no preseason to get to know his new system and QB, and had a killer early schedule. He should improve as the season goes on.

Thinking of dropping him for Jefferson / Higgins. I believe they have more upside if they hit, where low - mid WR2 is near Cooks' ceiling in this offense.
Jefferson I can see, Higgins not as much. I think Higgins greatly benefitted from Slay locking up AJ Green. Higgins is still no higher than #3 in that passing game. 

Cooks has been a low WR1 on three other teams, and 4 of the last 5 seasons.  That's his upside.  I don't see any rookie having a higher ceiling than that.

Cooks has been a low WR1 on three other teams, and 4 of the last 5 seasons.  That's his upside.  I don't see any rookie having a higher ceiling than that.
It may have been him ailing from injury / tough matchups but it looks like this Texans team is going to spread the ball around more than they did in the past, and certainly won't feed anyone like they did Hopkins. That's why I specifically mentioned this offense. The personnel is a bit strange at the position, as Fuller and Cooks are both speed / stretch the field guys and Cobb seems best suited for a possession role. 

I admit I may have been overthinking things and will likely drop someone else to make room for the rooks.

Anyone buying low?  Or are people thinking it's just not going to happen for him in Houston?

ugh same. what the hell is going on out there
Looking at game thread, seemed to take a huge hit and while he walked off under his own power and returned, likely shook up.

Either way, at this point, I was wrong about Cooks in this offense. So were a lot of people who were high on him coming into the season (including FBGs). 

He seems droppable in redraft at this point.

Brandin Cooks was held without a catch on three targets in the Texans' Week 4 loss to the Vikings. 

Egads. It was simply an inexcusable effort against one of the most undermanned secondaries in the league, especially since Harrison Smith did not even play the second half following a second quarter ejection. Cooks has now posted catch totals of two, five, three and zero, once clearing 25 yards. The Jaguars are an enticing Week 5 matchup, but so were the Vikings. Cooks cannot be trusted in 12-team leagues right now. 

Oct 4, 2020, 6:04 PM ET

Those 2nd round offseason offers are looking good right about now. I couldn’t smash accept fast enough if one of those  offers hit the inbox.

No bueno.  I am sure there will be a game here and there where he posts a good line but right now he is just taking up valuable roster/lineup space.

Texans WR Brandin Cooks ran a pass route on 39 of Houston's 40 drop backs in Week 4. 

Cooks delivered for those in points-per-route fantasy leagues. For everyone else, Cooks' Week 4 performance was an unmitigated disaster against a woeful Minnesota secondary. Cooks didn't have a catch on his three targets. Will Fuller and Randall Cobb out-targeted Cooks on the day. He shouldn't be rostered in 10-team leagues and isn't playable in most 12-team leagues. 

- Rotoworld
in half-PPRR (points per route run) leagues he got a 19.5, that's not bad at all.

in half-PPRR (points per route run) leagues he got a 19.5, that's not bad at all.
Oh wow. I was hoping snap count was not there. But yeah clearly seems a trust thing with Watson. He's leaning on Fuller and and Cobb next. Really thought Cooks could be a WR3 with upside, but he seems cuttable in redraft and a TBD but bordering on roster clogger in dynasty. Thing is I think he is still on 26 or something crazy like that.

Anyone watch this game and can parse what was due to that huge hit Cooks took and what was due to just plain sucktitude?

Assuming the latter.
Offense is terrible (defense not much better), I wouldn’t start any Texans WR at this point. Stats have been padded by some garbage time but none of their 4 games have they been competitive. Best the offense looked was first half of the Pitt game (when they still had 3 three and outs), but then they were god awful in the 2nd half with 3 three and outs and an INT.

Offense is terrible (defense not much better), I wouldn’t start any Texans WR at this point. Stats have been padded by some garbage time but none of their 4 games have they been competitive. Best the offense looked was first half of the Pitt game (when they still had 3 three and outs), but then they were god awful in the 2nd half with 3 three and outs and an INT.
I wouldn't go that far. Fuller is a solid WR2, and there is room for someone else to be useful, just not sure who it will be. 

There is too much talent, and like you said the defense is awful, so too much volume for them to stay this bad.

So many teams in so many years with flashes of above-average-ness in a couple of places, but his just screams "guy who doesn’t work hard" to me to have been moved so many times and disappoint.

travdogg said:
I wouldn't go that far. Fuller is a solid WR2, and there is room for someone else to be useful, just not sure who it will be. 

There is too much talent, and like you said the defense is awful, so too much volume for them to stay this bad.
He's WR25 in my leagues in PPG so WR3, but 3 good games and one donut so he is a decent boom/bust option. Remains to be seen now what happens with BOB fired. I also would put zero confidence in Fuller staying healthy for the full season.

Cooks played 94% of the snaps so I don't know how much a coaching change is going to help him. He can't play much more than he has been.
I mean, he could be actually taken advantage of, and schemed deep shots, or screens. 2 things he has been great at in his career. 

I don't know if it will be Cooks or not, but I can't help but feel like Watson is going to have a monster week against the Jags. Big statement game for him.

With BOB it wouldn't surprise me if the guy was frozen out for some reason and he just wasn't getting plays called for him or high in the read progressions.  I'm in buy low mode.

I mean, he could be actually taken advantage of, and schemed deep shots, or screens. 2 things he has been great at in his career. 

I don't know if it will be Cooks or not, but I can't help but feel like Watson is going to have a monster week against the Jags. Big statement game for him.
Could be but hasn't been so far, despite playing the most snaps of all the WR.

I perhaps incorrectly assumed that Cooks would transition well to his new team because he has succeeded with multiple teams already in his career. Maybe because of lack of practice it is taking more time to build rapport with Watson? 

I heard Pete Berchich say that he thought Watson looked confused about the coverages the Vikings were using. He said this several times during the game. I am not sure how true or not that is but the coverage was often 2 safeties deep, so if Cooks is going deep then maybe the other guys were better options. The Texans did run 65 plays despite the Vikings controlling TOP. 

I do think Cooks is a very good WR and I am as confused by his lack of success as anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread