What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (2 Viewers)

Bronco Billy - What % of rookie WRs who think they are better than current NFL WRs become egotistical headcases? 1? 5? 10? 25? 75?
I don't know. I don't care to know the number.It's unfortunate that I have apparently insulted the Cooks proponents. I merely mentioned that Cooks stating overtly that he is already better than Jackson shows significant arrogance. For those who don't care - fine, ignore it. I'm not going to try to force you to think like I do. I think it's worth noting. It may mean nothing in the long run, but right now we have what he has done in college and what he says to evaluate him.
You don't know but it's something. All players are capable of all sorts of things, but most of the time we discount them because they are so unlikely to do them. You apparently think that the likelihood of Cooks becoming a headcase is a large enough number to talk about it, but you won't say that. That's unfortunate.
I understand that you don't agree with me. Okay. We disagree. Have a great day.
I never said I don't agree with you. I'm trying to understand how you got to your point of view, but you insist on being a black box so it's pretty ####### hard.

Bronco Billy - What % of rookie WRs who think they are better than current NFL WRs become egotistical headcases? 1? 5? 10? 25? 75?
I don't know. I don't care to know the number.It's unfortunate that I have apparently insulted the Cooks proponents. I merely mentioned that Cooks stating overtly that he is already better than Jackson shows significant arrogance. For those who don't care - fine, ignore it. I'm not going to try to force you to think like I do. I think it's worth noting. It may mean nothing in the long run, but right now we have what he has done in college and what he says to evaluate him.
You don't know but it's something. All players are capable of all sorts of things, but most of the time we discount them because they are so unlikely to do them. You apparently think that the likelihood of Cooks becoming a headcase is a large enough number to talk about it, but you won't say that. That's unfortunate.
I never said I don't agree with you. I'm trying to understand how you got to your point of view, but you insist on being a black box so it's pretty ####### hard.
You don't understand how I got toy point of view? I observed Cooks' statement that he is better than D Jackson and evaluated it based upon Cooks' pro career to date. And because he is comparing himself to a very good WR 1 in the NFL and in his stated opinion that he is the better of the two despite having not proven a damned thing in the NFL already, I called that arrogance. And I stated that several times now. I also stated that I find that level of arrogance disconcerting to myself. That's it. If you want me to quantify it , I can't. It's an opinion based upon my experience.

That's it. Again. There you go. Clear enough this time ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't understand how I got toy point of view? I observed Cooks' statement that he is better than D Jackson and evaluated it based upon Cooks' pro career to date. And because he is comparing himself to a very good WR 1 in the NFL and in his stated opinion that he is the better of the two despite having not proven a damned thing in the NFL already, I called that arrogance. And I stated that several times now. I also stated that I find that level of arrogance disconcerting to myself.That's it. If you want me to quantify it , I can't. It's an opinion based upon my experience.

You were making leaps to me. Arrogance by itself means nothing. But if you can't connect it, then fine. We can move on.

You don't understand how I got toy point of view? I observed Cooks' statement that he is better than D Jackson and evaluated it based upon Cooks' pro career to date. And because he is comparing himself to a very good WR 1 in the NFL and in his stated opinion that he is the better of the two despite having not proven a damned thing in the NFL already, I called that arrogance. And I stated that several times now. I also stated that I find that level of arrogance disconcerting to myself.That's it. If you want me to quantify it , I can't. It's an opinion based upon my experience.

But his quote was ' In my opinion, I can do it like him and do it better."

Not "Im better than him".

I think thats why everyone is confused, because it sounds like you're saying he said outright that he is better than him. Unless I missed something else?

This article has probably been posted already but it's a good read and gives you a glimpse of Cook's drive and determination. The article mentions that he was driven and focused at an early age. Those are the types of people who become super successful in life.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/12/hawaii_bowl_driven_by_fathers.html

Receivers coach Brent Brennan, whose first season in Corvallis was Cooks’ freshman year, has come to expect greatness from the pupil he calls “the golden standard.”

“He has an uncommon maturity,” Brennan said. “As a freshman, we’d watch practice tape, and he was blowing everybody away because he was winning his one-on-one so much. And he was controlling the matchup, always always positioning himself to go against Jordan Poyer, one of the best defensive backs in the country. I knew then he was different. Most true freshmen aren’t looking to line up and possibly get their (butt) kicked every time. But he loved that challenge.”

The SI 64, Nos. 34-30: Timmy Jernigan, Ryan Shazier, Brandin Cooks and moreDoug Farrar

No. 32: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon StateBio: No collegiate receiver covered more ground last season than Brandin Cooks, the 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner, who led the NCAA with 1,730 receiving yards on 128 catches. He added 16 touchdowns to his totals, firmly establishing himself as one of the nation’s most vexing offensive problems. Add in his 1,151-yard season in 2012, and it’s clear that the 5-10, 189-pound Cooks is ready to attack any defense he faces with legitimate 4.3 speed and rare agility — even if he doesn’t look like your traditional No. 1 target.

“Just the production,” he said at the combine, when asked why he believed himself to be the best receiver in this class. “Numbers don’t lie, and what I bring to the game and my confidence with the way I work, my work ethic. I feel like no one is out there working harder than me. I have a lot to prove. I have a chip on my shoulder. They say I’m not the tallest, but I feel like there’s so many guys in this game today that are potential Hall of Famers like Steve Smith, who’s killing the game right now. DeSean Jackson. I can go down the list, and there [are] under 5-10 [guys] that are definitely great receivers in this game.”

In the right system, there’s no question that Cooks has the potential to be a true gamebreaker.

Strengths: Prolific receiver who gets the whole route tree and has experience in a pro-style offense. Cooks can make plays from just about anywhere in the formation — wide, in the slot, different points in trips and bunch concepts, and as a runner on jet sweeps and quick screens. Tremendous after-catch runner who can break a play wide open with a small opening off a short pass. Cooks has great straight-line speed, and he’s very hard to cover on angular routes (slants, drags, posts) because he’s able to maintain his speed from side to side. Has the downfield quickness to flat-out beat better cornerbacks on all kinds of vertical routes from the seam to the sideline.

Has a great natural ability with route cuts — Cooks can put his foot in the ground, change direction, and get right back up to speed in a big hurry. Very tough to cover on comebacks and curls. He’s practiced with stutters and foot fakes at the line, and at times, that’s all he’s going to need to get free for a long play. Excellent boundary receiver who keeps his eye on the sideline. Quick, gliding runner on sweeps; he could really befuddle defenses with this as Reggie Bush and Percy Harvin have. Doesn’t have the size to win vertical battles, but he’s always up for trying. Despite his size, Cooks hasn’t been injury-prone. Wasn’t asked to be much of a return man in college, but certainly has all the attributes to make that happen.

Weaknesses: Cooks’ size is an obvious limitation in a few ways — he will lose a lot of jump-ball battles against larger defensive backs, he’s not going to out-muscle defenders in traffic, and he can be edged out of erratically-thrown passes — it’s harder for him to fight to avoid interceptions because he’s not built to mix it up. And he’s going to get most of his NFL touchdowns from the field as opposed to beating people in the end zone and red zone. Could suffer when pressed at the line at the next level; Cooks will have to get separation in those situations with short-area quickness as opposed to muscle.

Conclusion: Just as the slot cornerback has become a position of increasing importance in the NFL over the last few years, teams are always looking for the next great inside speed receiver who can take the top off a defense, remove the free safety from the equation, and alter coverage concepts. Cooks would be a natural in this role — though he can also line up outside, he’s a natural fit for any offense interested in shredding inside pass coverage. Few players in this draft class match Cooks’ raw speed, and he’s able to use it to great effect on the field.

NFL player comparison: DeSean Jackson, Washington Redskins (2nd round, 2008, Cal)

Cooks has Austin's speed, but he isn't anorexic in a ever growing NFL. He's a bit taller, 15+ pounds, bigger hands and longer arms. They both played in fast pace offenses, Cooks had better raw numbers and great numbers when you consider strength of opponent. They both have breakaway speed. Cooks can take a hit. He can work the middle more. He has a better feel for the game, to me. He doesn't just use speed as his main weapon. Like Steve Smith.. he can beat you is the short game, but he can also beat you deep and fight for jump balls. As far as small/speed recievers go he is flawless. He's a bit short but that's just nitpicking. So yea, he's a bigger, badder Tavon Austin. He just doesn't have the hype that will drive him to top-10 draft status.
You mentioned good reasons to like Cooks more than Austin, but Austin has pinball machine moves that Cooks doesn't have. I also don't think I've seen Austin drop an easy pass like I've seen Cooks do. With that said, Cooks does play like clone of Steve Smith.
How's this for pinball moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldy9DbnryAo

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Chiefs coach Andy Reid "really likes" Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks.
Mort was appearing on Monday's NFL Insiders. Echoing DeSean Jackson, Cooks stands in at 5-foot-10, 189 pounds, and ran a blazing 4.33 40-yard dash at the Combine. However, Mort notes that GM John Dorsey, who comes from the Packers, prefers bigger wideouts. Cooks should come off the board on day one.

Related: Chiefs

Speedy Cooks would be recipe for success

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The New York Jets signed the top-rated wide receiver in free agency, Eric Decker. Now they have a chance to draft the premier receiver.

Sammy Watkins? No.

Mike Evans? No.

It's Brandin Cooks, according to Brandin Cooks.

"I feel like I'm the best receiver in this draft," the former Oregon State star told ESPNNewYork.com. "I feel like the only thing knocking me, in some people's eyes, is my height [5-foot-10]. Other than that, I've got great routes, I'm versatile and I can do a lot of things some of the guys in this class can't. It only takes one team to believe in me and, whoever that one is, it's getting the No. 1 receiver in this draft."

There's a good chance Cooks will be available when the Jets pick in the first round (18th), and he has to be oh-so-tempting for a team determined to improve its explosiveness and overall speed. He ran one of the fastest 40-yard dashes in scouting combine history (4.33 seconds), and if you put him on the same field as Chris Johnson -- a 4.24 in 2008 -- it would change everything about the Jets' offense. It would be like going from an old-fashioned coin tollbooth to E-ZPass Express. Or this:

"It's going to be like a 4x100 relay," Cooks said with a laugh, imagining for a moment he's wearing green and white.

Cooks may sound cocky, but he's really not. He's a grounded 20-year-old who endured a tough upbringing in Stockton, California. He was only 6 when his father died of a heart attack in the family's living room, cradled in the arms of his grief-stricken wife, Andrea. Worth Cooks Sr., a former Marine, was only 48. Only days earlier, he had agreed to have surgery to repair a heart problem.

Brandin's earliest football memory is playing catch with his dad on the sideline of his older brothers' Pop Warner games. His father never got a chance to see him play organized football, but Brandin felt it was his duty to play for his memory -- and for the well-being of the family.

Even though he's the youngest, Brandin was the glue, the inspiration for a family that endured plenty of adversity. Two of his three older brothers got into trouble -- the oldest, Andre, has spent time in prison -- and his mother worked 11 hours a day to provide. During the toughest times, they ate a lot of beans and bread.

To this day, Andrea Cooks works in a warehouse for Dorfman Pacific, a wholesaler for men's and women's hats and accessories. She packs designer hats and scarves into boxes, leaving her house at 5 a.m. and returning at 4:30 p.m. Her job is to help other people look good. That's about to change.

"My life is going to change overnight, and so is hers," Cooks said. "I remember telling her, 'Sooner or later, I'm going to retire you.' That's the beauty of it. She's been working for too many years. It's her time to relax."

She will be able to slow down because her youngest son is so fast. Nicknamed "Sonic Boom" as a high school star in Stockton, Cooks took his game to Oregon State, where he played in Mike Riley's pro-style offense. He won the Biletnikoff Award last season as the nation's top receiver, amassing video-game numbers -- 128 receptions for 1,730 yards and 16 touchdowns. Obviously, statistics get skewed in the pass-happy college ranks, but he also produced in 2012 -- 67, 1,151 and eight. He wasn't a one-year wonder.

Scouts say Cooks is tough, durable, smart and mature. He's always a scoring threat with the ball in his hands, as evidenced by his yards-after-the-catch production -- 1,215 yards over the past two seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information. When was the last time the Jets had a receiver who could make magic out of a 5-yard hitch?

"He's an exceptional athlete, both quick and fast, with the ability to eat up space, then run past defenders and also outmaneuver them underneath," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. "That makes him precisely the kind of matchup the Jets need to add to the passing game. If Mike Vick ends up starting, Cooks is the kind of option they would love to have because of his ability to create space."

The Jets have done a lot of homework on Cooks. They dispatched offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg to his pro day, and they brought him to Florham Park for a pre-draft visit. Mornhinweg, too, is from Northern California, and it turns out that he and Cooks share some common acquaintances.

"I felt like we clicked really well," Cooks said, recalling his Jets visit. "I walked out of there pretty confident with how my meeting went with them."

Because of their similar size and speed, Cooks has been compared to one of Mornhinweg's former receivers, DeSean Jackson, whom he coached with the Philadelphia Eagles. Cooks created headlines recently when he said of Jackson, "I can do it like him and do it better." Bold words, for sure. He didn't back down from the statement.

"To be a great player, you have to do it better than the guy that comes before you, the guy people compare you to," Cooks said. "That's my competitive nature. I know my work ethic and my IQ for the game. They've put me in the right situation, and I feel like I can thrive just like [Jackson]."

Cooks has no idea where he'll get drafted, but he knows this: His mother's days at Dorfman Pacific are almost over. Soon, perhaps, she'll be opening the boxes in her home instead of packing them in a factory.

I heard that Cooks is better than Tavon Austin, despite being perhaps only the 5th or 6th best receiver in this class. Is that true?

I heard that Cooks is better than Tavon Austin, despite being perhaps only the 5th or 6th best receiver in this class. Is that true?
Better reciever? Yes. Better running back? No. Better overall player than doesn't need gadget plays? Yes. Just because Austin was the 1st WR drafted doesn't mean he was the best in his class. Just because Cooks may be the 5th or 6th one projected to be drafted, doesn't mean he's less talented than Austin.

Better reciever? Yes. Better running back? No. Better overall player than doesn't need gadget plays? Yes. Just because Austin was the 1st WR drafted doesn't mean he was the best in his class. Just because Cooks may be the 5th or 6th one projected to be drafted, doesn't mean he's less talented than Austin.
Boy that's a lot of wisdom right there. I thought the players were always picked in order of how good they'd be. Are you saying scouting is an inexact science? Groundbreaking stuff.

I looked up my 2013 pre NFL draft rookie prospect list and used that to make a quick combined ranking of the 2013 and 2014 draft prospects-

WR Sammy Watkins
WR Mike Evans
RB Bishop Sankey
RB Gio Bernard
WR Marqise Lee
RB Carlos Hyde
WR Odell Beckham Jr.
WR Brandin Cooks
TE Eric Ebron
WR Jordan Matthews
WR Cordelle Patterson
WR Davonte Adams
WR DeAndre Hopkins
WR Tavon Austin
RB Christine Michael
RB Eddie Lacy
TE Tyler Eifert
QB Johnny Manziel
WR Kelvin Benjamin
QB Teddy Bridgewater
WR Donte Moncrief
TE Travis Kelce
RB Zac Stacy
RB LeVeon Bell
WR Keenan Allen
TE Jace Amaro
RB Charles Sims
RB Tre Mason
RB Lache Seastrunk
RB Monte Ball
TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
WR Allen Robinson
WR Stedmon Bailey
WR Jarvis Landry
RB Jeremy Hill
RB Devonta Freeman
QB Blake Bortles
WR Martavis Bryant
QB Jimmy Garoppolo
WR Cody Latimer
QB Derek Carr
WR Quinton Patton
RB Isaiah Crowell
RB Terrance West
QB Brett Smith
QB EJ Manuel
WR Marcus Wheaton
WR Robert Woods
QB Garrett Gilbert
WR Aaron Dobson
WR Kenny Stills
TE Vance McDonald
TE Zach Ertz
RB Knile Davis
WR Terrance Williams
WR Marquise Goodwin
WR Justin Hunter
RB Jerick McKinnon
RB Damien Williams
RB Andre Williams
WR Cody Hoffman
TE Jordan Reed
RB KaDeem Carey
QB Mike Glennon
WR Bruce Ellington
WR Robert Herron
WR Josh Boyce
WR Jeff Janis
WR Kevin Norwood
WR Josh Huff
WR Tavarres King
QB Tajh Boyd
QB Logan Thomas
WR Shaquelle Evans
RB Charles Johnson
RB Andre Ellington

This is a really difficult thing to do because of course I am influenced by how the rookies from last year were drafted and performed last season. But I did the best I could slotting the 2 lists together based on how I had the 2013 guys ranked prior to the NFL draft.

I am sure there are things I would change about this combined list. I found myself wanting to move players from 2014 higher than some the 2013 but if I did so that would cause me to rank the 2014 guys higher on my overall 2014. Which is interesting to think about.

I obviously was way too low on Andre Elington, so it seemed like a good place to stop there.

At any rate I like the top 6 WR of 2014 more than any of the WR from 2013 as prospects and I really really love Patterson and Austin.

I looked up my 2013 pre NFL draft rookie prospect list and used that to make a quick combined ranking of the 2013 and 2014 draft prospects-

WR Sammy Watkins
WR Mike Evans
RB Bishop Sankey
RB Gio Bernard
WR Marqise Lee
RB Carlos Hyde
WR Odell Beckham Jr.
WR Brandin Cooks
TE Eric Ebron
WR Jordan Matthews
WR Cordelle Patterson
WR Davonte Adams
WR DeAndre Hopkins
WR Tavon Austin
RB Christine Michael
RB Eddie Lacy
TE Tyler Eifert
QB Johnny Manziel
WR Kelvin Benjamin
QB Teddy Bridgewater
WR Donte Moncrief
TE Travis Kelce
RB Zac Stacy
RB LeVeon Bell
WR Keenan Allen
TE Jace Amaro
RB Charles Sims
RB Tre Mason
RB Lache Seastrunk
RB Monte Ball
WR Allen Robinson
WR Stedmon Bailey
WR Jarvis Landry
RB Jeremy Hill
RB Devonta Freeman
QB Blake Bortles
WR Martavis Bryant
QB Jimmy Garoppolo
WR Cody Latimer
QB Derek Carr
WR Quinton Patton
RB Isaiah Crowell
RB Terrance West
QB Brett Smith
QB EJ Manuel
WR Marcus Wheaton
WR Robert Woods
QB Garrett Gilbert
WR Aaron Dobson
WR Kenny Stills
TE Vance McDonald
TE Zach Ertz
RB Knile Davis
WR Terrance Williams
WR Marquise Goodwin
WR Justin Hunter
RB Jerick McKinnon
RB Damien Williams
RB Andre Williams
WR Cody Hoffman
TE Jordan Reed
RB KaDeem Carey
QB Mike Glennon
WR Bruce Ellington
WR Robert Herron
WR Josh Boyce
WR Jeff Janis
WR Kevin Norwood
WR Josh Huff
WR Tavarres King
QB Tajh Boyd
QB Logan Thomas
WR Shaquelle Evans
RB Charles Johnson
RB Andre Ellington

This is a really difficult thing to do because of course I am influenced by how the rookies from last year were drafted and performed last season. But I did the best I could slotting the 2 lists together based on how I had the 2013 guys ranked prior to the NFL draft.

I am sure there are things I would change about this combined list. I found myself wanting to move players from 2014 higher than some the 2013 but if I did so that would cause me to rank the 2014 guys higher on my overall 2014. Which is interesting to think about.

I obviously was way too low on Andre Elington, so it seemed like a good place to stop there.

At any rate I like the top 6 WR of 2014 more than any of the WR from 2013 as prospects and I really really love Patterson and Austin.
A couple things,

1) I like this list and the idea of it in general but in the Cooks thread doesn't seem like the best place for it.

2) I didn't see Geno Smith of the list?

3) Eifert was highly touted and an eventual first round pick. I don't want to knit pick but he seems to be fairly low on the list. Just wondering if you were not that thrilled with him going into last years draft?

WR Sammy Watkins
WR Mike Evans
RB Bishop Sankey
RB Gio Bernard
WR Marqise Lee
RB Carlos Hyde
WR Odell Beckham Jr.
WR Brandin Cooks
TE Eric Ebron
WR Jordan Matthews
WR Cordelle Patterson
WR Davonte Adams
WR DeAndre Hopkins
WR Tavon Austin
RB Christine Michael
RB Eddie Lacy
TE Tyler Eifert
QB Johnny Manziel
WR Kelvin Benjamin
QB Teddy Bridgewater
WR Donte Moncrief
TE Travis Kelce
RB Zac Stacy
RB LeVeon Bell
WR Keenan Allen
TE Jace Amaro
RB Charles Sims
RB Tre Mason
RB Lache Seastrunk
RB Monte Ball
WR Allen Robinson
WR Stedmon Bailey
WR Jarvis Landry
RB Jeremy Hill
RB Devonta Freeman
QB Blake Bortles
WR Martavis Bryant
QB Jimmy Garoppolo
WR Cody Latimer
QB Derek Carr
WR Quinton Patton
RB Isaiah Crowell
RB Terrance West
QB Brett Smith
QB EJ Manuel
WR Marcus Wheaton
WR Robert Woods
QB Garrett Gilbert
WR Aaron Dobson
WR Kenny Stills
TE Vance McDonald
TE Zach Ertz
RB Knile Davis
WR Terrance Williams
WR Marquise Goodwin
WR Justin Hunter
RB Jerick McKinnon
RB Damien Williams
RB Andre Williams
WR Cody Hoffman
TE Jordan Reed
RB KaDeem Carey
QB Mike Glennon
WR Bruce Ellington
WR Robert Herron
WR Josh Boyce
WR Jeff Janis
WR Kevin Norwood
WR Josh Huff
WR Tavarres King
QB Tajh Boyd
QB Logan Thomas
WR Shaquelle Evans
RB Charles Johnson
RB Andre Ellington

A couple things,

1) I like this list and the idea of it in general but in the Cooks thread doesn't seem like the best place for it.

2) I didn't see Geno Smith of the list?

3) Eifert was highly touted and an eventual first round pick. I don't want to knit pick but he seems to be fairly low on the list. Just wondering if you were not that thrilled with him going into last years draft?
1) Why? I would not have had the idea to do except for discussion on where Cooks would rank compared to last years WR. If that discussion would be better in a different thread? Perhaps you are right. I just responded to where the idea originated for me.

2) I didn't like any QB from last year. I like most of this years QBs better. But I didn't spend as much time on QB in 2013 as I have this season.

3) No I really liked Eifert, I even considered him perhaps the best pick of the 2013 draft. I just like the players in 2014 a lot more than most of the 2013 group.

Does anybody else see stiff hips?
In another thread I mentioned that Cooks lacks 'moves'. I think he may be just a straight liner and that concerns me. I had him rated high a month or more ago but have since bumped him down to 6-8 range. Thing is with Cooks, everything checks out except his game tape, imo. He doesn't look bad on tape but he also doesn't look special and I think if you're going to thrive at his size, you need to be special. I had him top 3 early in this process. I don't like the feeling when my eye tells me something other than the stats. The discomfort alone justifies me moving to the bottom portion of my top 10.

Oregon State's Brandin Cooks says he's draft's top receiverBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

Clemson's Sammy Watkins will be long gone by the time Brandin Cooks hears his name at the NFL draft podium, but that doesn't mean Watkins is any better than the former Oregon State star.

At least, that's Cooks' view.

"I feel like I'm the best receiver in this draft. I feel like the only thing knocking me, in some people's eyes, is my height [5-foot-10]. Other than that, I've got great routes, I'm versatile and I can do a lot of things some of the guys in this class can't," Cooks told espnnewyork.com.

And why should he lack for confidence? After posting an NCAA-best 1,730 receiving yards last season, he's as proven as any receiver in the draft at the college level. He stood out just as much at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis with a blistering 40-yard dash of 4.33 seconds, the best time of any receiver. His 3.81 and 10.72 times in the 20-yard and 60-yard shuttles, respectively, beat out every receiver in Indianapolis, as well.

In short, his confidence is grounded in facts.

There are strong examples of wide receivers who became the best of their respective draft class without being the first receiver selected. Atlanta Falcons star Roddy White, picked No. 27 overall in 2005, would be one such case. More recently, Chicago's Alshon Jeffery and the Colts' T.Y. Hilton didn't even go in the first round in 2012, but are all but sure to post stronger careers than that year's highest-drafted receiver: The oft-troubled Justin Blackmon of the Jaguars.

Being the third wide receiver drafted, behind Watkins and Texas A&M's Mike Evans, is probably Cooks' best-case scenario, in part due to the size he issue he cited himself. Worst-case? Odell Beckham, Marqise Lee, and Kelvin Benjamin all shake NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's hand before Cooks does. The New York Jets, in dire need of receiving help, hold the No. 18 pick and could be the club to bring Cooks' wait to an end. But Lee is considered a strong possibility for that pick, as well.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Wow - going to be a lot of competition for him this year (auction league). I thought the hype on Austin was crazy last year...this will far surpass that. Really looking forward to watching him there next year whether I get him or not.

Part Sproles. part Dev Henderson, part Moore, part Steve Smith.

Love. It.

Oh - and skew Carolina!!!

Great spot. But Graham and Colston and maybe even Stills will be getting targets over him. I could see this as a Sproles type replacement without the carries.

Rotoworld:

Saints traded up with the Cardinals to select Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks with the No. 20 overall pick in the 2014 draft.
The Saints give up the Nos. 27 and 91 overall picks to get an immediate high-quality option behind starters Marques Colston and Kenny Stills. Cooks (5-foot-9 3/4, 189) won the 2013 Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top receiver, finishing his three years in college with 226 receptions for 3,272 yards (14.5 YPR) and 24 TDs. He added two scores on the ground and can also return punts. Only 20 years old, Cooks is a suped-up Tavon Austin with 4.33 jets, agility in space, and flashes of vertical chops. He's a noticeably sudden player on tape. Cooks' build may limit his red-zone productivity, but he is a dynamic playmaker who we believe could handle a lot of volume if asked to by the Saints. He's going to be ridiculously fast on the Superdome turf.

Related: Cardinals

Great spot. But Graham and Colston and maybe even Stills will be getting targets over him. I could see this as a Sproles type replacement without the carries.
Sproles took 70 reception with him..... so there are 70 receptions out there.
Which is great. I'm sure an RB will share those with him.
It's an open question, I'm not sure Cadet is up to all that. Have to wait for the rest of the draft, I think the Saints still have a RB/WR pick in them.

It's an open question, I'm not sure Cadet is up to all that. Have to wait for the rest of the draft, I think the Saints still have a RB/WR pick in them.
Thomas?

Thomas?
He's already got his 70, doubt he will be getting more.

RBs with 70 receptions: Charles, Forte, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Sproles.

Saints draft Brandin Cooks after trading up to No. 20

NFL.com

The New Orleans Saints have added a much-needed infusion of speed to their aging offense.

The Saints traded up with the Cardinals to select Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks at No. 20 overall in the 2014 NFL Draft. It's the first time the team has used its first pick on offense since drafting Robert Meachem in 2007.

Arizona will receive New Orleans' No. 27 pick as well as the Saints' third-round selection (No. 91) in this year's draft.

The fastest wide receiver in this year's class, Cooks set a Pac-12 record with 1,730 receiving yards on 128 receptions en route to winning the Biletnikoff Award last season. He generated more plays of 20+ yards than any skill-position player in college football.

Much like Tavon Austin of the Rams, Cooks is electric in space. Unlike St. Louis play-caller Brian Schottenheimer and quarterback Sam Bradford, Saints offensive mastermind Sean Payton and pinpoint passer Drew Brees will be able to get the ball in Cooks' hands with room to run.

Cooks projects as a Pro Bowl slot receiver, with Jimmy Graham, Marques Colston and Kenny Stills spreading the field in a high-flying aerial attack.

The Saints not only provided their fan base with a crowd-pleasing playmaker but also restocked a wide receiver corps that had grown stale over the past two years.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Thomas?
He's already got his 70, doubt he will be getting more.

RBs with 70 receptions: Charles, Forte, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Sproles.
Wow yeah out of the slot he could be spicy. Graham takes some of those but didn't realize there was that much going around for the RB's.

Don't like him in a vacuum, but a first round WR to this offense will be hard to pass up. He's going to get every chance to fill the Sproles void.

Will he be more like Tavon or Harvin though?

With Brees throwing to him you could be looking at the offensive rookie of the year!!

Don't like him in a vacuum, but a first round WR to this offense will be hard to pass up. He's going to get every chance to fill the Sproles void.

Will he be more like Tavon or Harvin though?
Cobb.

Love the player but Brees spreads the ball around so much, I don't know how I'd rank him.
Colston getting old. Stills is just a deep threat. Sproles gone. Graham the only premium pass catcher on the roster.

I feel like Cooks is basically the Sproles replacement, even though he plays a different position. Could make him a reception machine. Great for PPR.

Love the player but Brees spreads the ball around so much, I don't know how I'd rank him.
That's the one catch. I think there's the potential there for him to be a ppr monster given the match of talent/system/QB except that you don't know how they'll spread the ball around. At this point I'm willing to bank on Cooks's talent.

Colston getting old. Stills is just a deep threat. Sproles gone. Graham the only premium pass catcher on the roster.

I feel like Cooks is basically the Sproles replacement, even though he plays a different position. Could make him a reception machine. Great for PPR.
Moore is gone too... but it seems like he's been gone for awhile.

Cooks looks like a good candidate for 80 catches after Colston retires. I'm less excited for this year but it was the best spot for him long-term.

Users who are viewing this thread