Bob Magaw

Official Odell Beckham, Jr.

4,501 posts in this topic

It's weird to see them playing from behind all game, no Engram, and OBJ doesn't absolutely go off. Eli is a big problem, the OL another slightly lesser problem. 

2 people like this

The TDs are a big disappointment, then again Julio Jones says hi.

Odell Beckham caught 6-of-10 passes for 44 yards in the Giants' Week 6 loss to the Eagles.

Visibly frustrated all evening, Beckham left the field before the first half was over. He was in the locker room as the G-Men lined up for what would have typically been a Hail Mary attempt. Instead, they threw a screen. Speaking after the game, coach Pat Shurmur claimed Beckham needed an IV. Beckham was amongst the last out of the locker room for the second half, and was soon spotted screaming at a cooling machine. The reason for his frustration was evident to anyone watching the game. Eli Manning simply could not get him the ball on anything but the shortest of passes. The one time Manning tried to find Beckham down the sideline he laughably under-threw the ball. Beckham will look to take out his anger on the Falcons' bottom-tier defense in Week 7.

Oct 11 - 11:40 PM

Eli and the O line deserve some blame but OBJ is not himself. I would bet a lot of money he’s partying with hard drugs. I think he will continue to slip as a player and person. He’s a locker room cancer who only cares about himself. Giants were stupid to pay him all that money. 

12 minutes ago, starks said:

This guys is going to blow the ATL secondary apart. 

Like he just did against the 30th ranked pass defense for WRs? Don’t hold your breath. 

1 person likes this

His behavior is why I traded him away in dynasty. The guy is a nut case when things aren't going well or his way. Shut him down defensively and he shuts down mentally. That will catch up with him someday. 

I was wondering why the heck he signed his contract if he "wasn't sure he was happy in New York" as the announcers said last night. Why not test the market and go where you want to go then? 

1 person likes this

The only type of play they can run are quick outs/slants where Eli gets rid of the ball immediately.  The O-line and immobility of Eli are not allowing them to run anything downfield which is where OBJ can gain separation and make the big play.  Because they can't do that there will be lots of games like this one.  I don't see them really trying to go down field because the O-Line/Eli can't generate enough time to let these develop.  A bad situation all around that OBJ is not making any better by his antics.  It is embarrassing at this point.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

His behavior is why I traded him away in dynasty. The guy is a nut case when things aren't going well or his way. Shut him down defensively and he shuts down mentally. That will catch up with him someday. 

I was wondering why the heck he signed his contract if he "wasn't sure he was happy in New York" as the announcers said last night. Why not test the market and go where you want to go then? 

Me too. I traded him straight up for Evans after he fought the kicking net or whatever.  Psycho.  That and you could tell Eli was going to severely limit him back then. 

Lauletta will be throwing him the ball...perhaps as early as next game.

wouldn't give up a single early 1st for him at the moment

Edited by Soulfly3

18 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

even considering the horrid top talent available at RB/WR in the 2019 class?

Name 3 players in next years rookie class you would take over ODB.

That was really tough to watch last night.

Who is Eli's backup QB this year?

Who are the top QB prospects in next year's draft and are any of them capable of coming in right away and starting for a franchise?

2 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Wow... You're going off about 6 month old information there if you really think that. Next year's WR class is loaded and there are potentially 2 first round (NFL draft) RBs. The 2019 WR class could be the best class we've seen in the last 5 years

I loved that everyone thought/thinks 2019 is a bad draft. I was able to load up with 6 1st rounders and an extra 2nd for 2019. So far it's looking like I'll have the first 3 picks at least. Looking forward to drafting Bryce Love, AJ Brown, and then will figure it out from there. Maybe Damien Williams depending where he ends up. Traeveon Williams could be a draft riser.. Samuel, Campbell, Hall... all 3 of those WRs could be big.  The Texas Tech duo could be monsters as well. I expect more WRs will be taken round 1 and round 2 than 2018. 

Edited by Dr. Dan
now 6 1st rounders

He is starting to legitimately look like a person who is mentally ill. Those close ups of him? Look in those eyes man. I wouldn't want any part of him on my team. Guy is starting to make Terrell Owens look like a Man of the Year candidate.  

1 person likes this

traded for him last week and was loving life, get to watch him this week and yikes.

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

He is starting to legitimately look like a person who is mentally ill. Those close ups of him? Look in those eyes man. I wouldn't want any part of him on my team. Guy is starting to make Terrell Owens look like a Man of the Year candidate.  

how else do you explain signing a big extension and then hating your team?

Funny thing is a year ago many said the same thing- off to a slow start, hes crazy, its catching up to him, whatever. I was one of those people. Then he still had a great season. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

2 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

I agree.

2019 looks depressingly mediocre, maybe worse.

It's early, but it's not looking good at all, IMO.

Edited by Football Jones

Giants should've traded him, pre draft..They won't win more than 2 more games, probably beat the Colts and the Niners and that's it. They can't run with the Falcons please just stop.They wont beat the Eagles, probably get swept by Redskins, lose to Dallas, Bears, Titans, Bucs. I think we're sitting on the #1 pick next year..

None of the teams vying for that top spot in next years draft, need a QB - Oak, Indy, Az, Falcons, Niners. Giants will get the best QB in the 2019 draft if they want him. but they need so much help in other positions that it makes perfect sense to trade away OBJ and get as many picks as you can - take the best offer and run with it.

get rid of the blond hair, hyper drama queening jackwagon once and for all.

BTW he would've had 2-4 more recs lat night but he INSISTS on trying to make every single catch with one hand. every.single.catch. 

Of ALL the teams that desperately need OBJ it is Green Bay. or SF. or Oaktown, Dallas, NE, etc.

just ask for a 1st and something else and get rid of him. you can rebuild in next year's draft! 

23 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I agree.

2019 looks depressingly mediocre, maybe worse.

It's early, but it's not looking good at all, IMO.

I disagree completely. this is a stacked class. but to each their own. a year ago people were saying 2018 was going to be depressing aside from barkely. how quick things change in 2 months 

42 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I disagree completely. this is a stacked class. but to each their own. a year ago people were saying 2018 was going to be depressing aside from barkely. how quick things change in 2 months 

I had it just the opposite last year & I believe I wasn't the only one. In fact, if I'm remembering right, 2018 was looked at as a loaded class by the vast majority of FFers. 8 good RBs, great QB class, & some underrated WRs like Sutton & Ridley.

I'm also not the only one who's down on the 2019 class in general. I'm not saying there aren't potential studs, but it doesn't look like a typical good class right now, IMO.

That said, I guess this is a discussion for another thread.

Edited by Football Jones
1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

Giants should've traded him, pre draft..They won't win more than 2 more games, probably beat the Colts and the Niners and that's it. They can't run with the Falcons please just stop.They wont beat the Eagles, probably get swept by Redskins, lose to Dallas, Bears, Titans, Bucs. I think we're sitting on the #1 pick next year..

None of the teams vying for that top spot in next years draft, need a QB - Oak, Indy, Az, Falcons, Niners. Giants will get the best QB in the 2019 draft if they want him. but they need so much help in other positions that it makes perfect sense to trade away OBJ and get as many picks as you can - take the best offer and run with it.

Why would them being a bad team this year mean they should trade a 25 year old stud WR?  They have plenty of time to rebuild while Beckham is still in his prime.

Like you said they'll get their shot at a QB in the 2019 class and have their Barkley/Beckham/QB trio for half a dozen years.

The sideline blowup will blow over like it always does.  At least his blowups are because he wants to win and not because he's mad he's not getting force fed the ball every play like other great receivers in the past.

7 people like this

3 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

That's just nuts.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Jello_Biafra said:

That's just nuts.

get a bad vibe about him

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Soulfly3 said:

get a bad vibe about him

Come on. This guy gives you a bad vibe but Gordon didn't?

9 people like this

2 hours ago, Tanner9919 said:

get rid of the blond hair, hyper drama queening jackwagon once and for all.

BTW he would've had 2-4 more recs lat night but he INSISTS on trying to make every single catch with one hand. every.single.catch. 

Of ALL the teams that desperately need OBJ it is Green Bay. or SF. or Oaktown, Dallas, NE, etc.

just ask for a 1st and something else and get rid of him. you can rebuild in next year's draft! 

I noticed the same thing. Any pass that’s not precise he trys to one hand. He’s the most annoying player in the NFL right now. I own him in my 2 dynasty leagues and I want him off my team. 

2 hours ago, Jello_Biafra said:

Come on. This guy gives you a bad vibe but Gordon didn't?

gordon was and remains very lighthearted and likeable.

3 people like this

18 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

gordon was and remains very lighthearted and likeable.

I read that GQ article on him and found him endearing. Beckham looks nuts. Like scary nuts. That time he fought the kicking net, that was kind of funny but I don't find anything funny about him now. I think we all probably know one person that just gradually declined  into some form of mental illness. It's a slow process. He actually unnerves me when they show him on the sideline screaming at someone who isn't even there...

Does he have a history of concussions?  I don't remember ever reading about him getting a concussion, but I don't follow him closely and don't have him on any of my teams.

4 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Why would them being a bad team this year mean they should trade a 25 year old stud WR?  They have plenty of time to rebuild while Beckham is still in his prime.

Like you said they'll get their shot at a QB in the 2019 class and have their Barkley/Beckham/QB trio for half a dozen years.

The sideline blowup will blow over like it always does.  At least his blowups are because he wants to win and not because he's mad he's not getting force fed the ball every play like other great receivers in the past.

i wanna quote this on every page of this thread. well said.

About that o-line, granted Eli looks like a shell of himself, but NFL radio this morning made a great assessment of the situation. Sorry for the detraction from the OBJ talk, but it seems relevant. The Giants have indeed made a concerted effort to revamp that o-line for the past 4 years through the draft and trades. Eagles in comparison took the exact same approach. Where the guys Eagles ended up with have panned out well, the guys Giants ended up with are either not on the team anymore or simply haven't panned out yet. Eli can certainly help the o-line if he was mobile and that obviously hurts, but the Giants have made bad choices one after the other. So to say the Giant's have upgraded their o-line is false. They made changes and spent the money, but it's not any better than it was 4 years ago or any of the teams since. I won't pretend I'm a Giants expert, but this looks to be the best narrative I've heard that makes any sense between what the team has done and what they look like now.

Back to OBJ, his quote last week about playing with heart, that defense certainly didn't show it last night. I'm an eagles fan so it was fun to see the shalacking, but the breakdown of the o-line and complete lack of organization of the secondary looked to be painfully obvious. I know very little of Shurmur, but his management of the game didn't look that great either. The whole team is falling apart and it's not Eli and certainly not OBJ.

/endsoapbox

2 people like this

Some of the comments about OBJ are comical.

You think he's mentally ill or a cancer because he gets angry on the sidelines? That level of nitpicking is just dumb.

The amusing thing is that for all the criticism of his interview - everything he said appears to be true. I saw a lot of Giants jogging on TNF. Of course, Beckham wasn't one of them.

The team has an OL problem and a really big QB problem. It doesn't have a WR or OBJ problem. 

6 people like this

20 minutes ago, btemp said:

You think he's mentally ill or a cancer because he gets angry on the sidelines? That level of nitpicking is just dumb.

The amusing thing is that for all the criticism of his interview - everything he said appears to be true. I saw a lot of Giants jogging on TNF. Of course, Beckham wasn't one of them.

The team has an OL problem and a really big QB problem. It doesn't have a WR or OBJ problem. 

He's behaving like Giants fans are feeling. This #### is frustrating to watch.

1 hour ago, btemp said:

He is a cancer. Leaders don’t throw their teammates and coaches under the bus. True or not, doesn’t matter. I don’t think he’s crazy, I think he’s a selfish entitled brat. He is not the WR he was 2 years ago. I can see the decline. That one handed catch on Sunday Night football was the turning point. He doesn’t know how to handle the success and accolades and he sucks as a teammate. 

While I agree he is not behaving appropriate for his station, I think all of the antics go away with success. And that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen this year. 

1 person likes this