Bob Magaw

Official Odell Beckham, Jr.

4,501 posts in this topic

While teammate Jarvis Landry watches his draft stock plummet, Beckham has seen his surge in recent weeks. The reason? Landry struggled at the combine, while Beckham (5-foot-11 1/4 and 198 pounds) dominated

This can't be right. Everyone knows that "the tape" speaks directly to those with magic eyes, and that the combine Underwear Olympics is irrelevant.

If we wanna base right/wrong on the history of outcomes of rotoworld blurb opinion, chances are no, it won't be right in the end.

Whew! Thank goodness.

I can look forward to seeing Carey and Landry in the 2nd round then?

While teammate Jarvis Landry watches his draft stock plummet, Beckham has seen his surge in recent weeks. The reason? Landry struggled at the combine, while Beckham (5-foot-11 1/4 and 198 pounds) dominated

This can't be right. Everyone knows that "the tape" speaks directly to those with magic eyes, and that the combine Underwear Olympics is irrelevant.

If we wanna base right/wrong on the history of outcomes of rotoworld blurb opinion, chances are no, it won't be right in the end.

Whew! Thank goodness.

I can look forward to seeing Carey and Landry in the 2nd round then?

Probably not, the NFL likes to draft combine wonders in that round like Brian Quick and Chris Henry, expect Carey and Landry to go later, but I also expect them to carve out roles in the NFL, and Landry to perhaps carve out a real nice one.

Rotoworld:

NJ.com quoted an executive in personnel from an AFC team saying that LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. was just a slight step below Clemson's Sammy Watkins.

"I really like this guy," the personnel man said. "He’s not Watkins, but he’s right there. He can run, and he runs great routes. And he has the same return ability, if you need that." A scouting director from an NFC team added: "He’s real good after the catch. He’s a big-play guy. No, he’s not Sammy, but he’s darn good." Beckham (5-foot-11 1/4 and 198 pounds) was a star of the combine, posting an unofficial forty time of 4.31 and a 10-yard split of 1.50 seconds.
Source: NJ.com

Beckham is Sammy but an inch and a half shorter and has quicker feet/cutting ability.

The WR crop seems so rich this year, there could be some top shelf talent going to some very good playoff caliber offensive teams.

Beckham is a playmaker, he will be a fan favorite wherever he lands.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

The WR crop seems so rich this year, there could be some top shelf talent going to some very good playoff caliber offensive teams.

Beckham is a playmaker, he will be a fan favorite wherever he lands.

Never saw him play but noticed a mock with him going to the Eagles. Like what I see and so he is a returner too? Could be a good replacement for a recent cut.

I think Beckham is the 3rd best WR in the draft behind Watkins and Evans. He's at least neck and neck with Evans in my mind and I like both for different reasons.

Rotoworld:

Multiple executives tell Bleacher Report that LSU WR Odell Beckham is "solidly" the No. 3 wideout available.

Clemson's Sammy Watkins and Texas A&M's Mike Evans are widely expected to be the first two wideouts off the board. After that, Beckham will be in play along with USC's Marqise Lee and Oregon State's Brandin Cooks. Reporter Dan Pompei says Beckham has separated himself and "could be chosen as early as the late teens in the first round." We'd be stunned if he got past the Eagles at No. 22.

Chiefs would be a perfect fit.

Would love to see him land with the Giants if Ebron/Evans are gone. I don't think it's that big of a stretch either since there won't be any real great OL/DL prospects at the 12 spot that will fit the Giants scheme. Cruz, Randle and one of those 3 guys would give Eli some nice targets to throw to again.

I've been a fan for a long time, but I'm surprised the hype has reached this level. There aren't too many 5'11" WRs without blazing speed who are dominating in the NFL. I guess you could throw out Randall Cobb as a best-case scenario. There's also Victor Cruz and Antonio Brown. For the most part though, the scoring charts are ruled by taller guys. I think Beckham is a can't-miss prospect, but as a solid complementary guy rather than a dominant #1. Given the number of solid WR2 types in this draft, I don't know that he's going to justify the investment of a mid first rounder.

I've been a fan for a long time, but I'm surprised the hype has reached this level. There aren't too many 5'11" WRs without blazing speed who are dominating in the NFL. I guess you could throw out Randall Cobb as a best-case scenario. There's also Victor Cruz and Antonio Brown. For the most part though, the scoring charts are ruled by taller guys. I think Beckham is a can't-miss prospect, but as a solid complementary guy rather than a dominant #1. Given the number of solid WR2 types in this draft, I don't know that he's going to justify the investment of a mid first rounder.

Greg Jennings made a pretty nice career with nearly the same exact tools.

Jennings:

5'11" 197 4.43/40. 36.5" Vertical, 9'9" Broad.

Beckham

5'11" 198 4.42/40. 38.5" Vertical, 10'2" Broad

Now obviously Jennings couldn't have asked for better QBs up until 2013.

ETA, Guess I should have looked up the thread a little higher. Xue already gave us the Jennings comp.

Edited by Kitrick Taylor

While beating off coverage easily, does Beckham have some difficulty beating the press? I think so after watching his cut up vs Texas A&M.

1)I've been a fan for a long time, but I'm surprised the hype has reached this level.

2)I think Beckham is a can't-miss prospect, but as a solid complementary guy rather than a dominant #1.

3)Given the number of solid WR2 types in this draft, I don't know that he's going to justify the investment of a mid first rounder.

1) Agreed.

2) Agreed.

3) Wait, what? If you assume single QB leagues where first QB isn't taken until late first, what else would you spend a mid first on? Even if there are 2-3 RB's that find nice homes and assume Watkins and Evans are off the board, would you take a "potential" guy over a "can't miss", even if his ceiling may be a WR2? That seemingly worked last season if you passed on the safe D. Hopkins option for Patterson but I would imagine that's an outlier?

Philadelphia Eagles might be landing spot for Odell Beckham Jr.

By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. played in a legitimate passing offense for the first time as a junior in 2013 and saw his draft stock rise. It has continued to rise in the run-up to the draft.

Beckham (5-foot-11, 198 pounds) showed off his elusiveness on the field last fall and at February's NFL Scouting Combine, where he ran a 4.43 40-yard dash and looked good in the drills. That elusiveness (and his 2013 production) has led to speculation that the Philadelphia Eagles could be targeting Beckham with the 22nd pick in the draft. With the departure of DeSean Jackson (he ended up with NFC East-rival Washington), the Eagles need a new No. 1 receiver. Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin are No. 2 and 3 types, not go-to receivers.

The question is whether Beckham will be there at No. 22.

Clemson's Sammy Watkins and Texas A&M's Mike Evans are the consensus top two receivers available in the draft. Beckham, USC's Marqise Lee and Oregon State's Brandin Cooks are among those vying to be the third receiver off the board, and Cooks has made it clear he would like to be given a shot to replace Jackson.

Beckham is the No. 3 wide receiver and the No. 17 overall player on NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of the top 50 prospects available; he has moved from No. 40 to No. 19 to No. 17 on Jeremiah's list.

Beckham likely also has caught the eye of wide receiver-needy teams such as St. Louis (whose second first-round pick comes at No. 13), Pittsburgh (which picks 15th), the New York Jets (18th) and Green Bay (21st). While 13th and 15th may be a bit early for Beckham, picking him in the late teens or early 20s makes sense.

Beckham caught a combined 84 passes in his first two seasons at LSU, but he had just four TD catches. To call LSU's passing offense "simplistic" in those seasons is being kind. But former NFL coach and assistant Cam Cameron became the Tigers' coordinator for the 2013 season, and the passing attack came to life and was much more varied. Beckham had 59 receptions for 1,152 yards (an eye-opening 19.5 yards per catch) and eight scores in 2013, and proved he could handle playing in a true pro-style offense. He also is a top-notch return man and a willing blocker, which adds to his value.

Beckham was LSU's second-leading receiver in 2013, behind Jarvis Landry, but he is a much better pro prospect than Landry because of his speed.

Beckham will get another chance to show off for NFL scouts Wednesday, when LSU holds its pro day.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Rotoworld:

LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. will visit the Bills and Jets next week, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

The Jets at No. 18 should be Beckham Jr.'s floor. He is not often discussed with Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans, but we believe it is in the realm of possibility that Beckham Jr. could end up as the top receiver prospect from this class. His vertical game is outstanding, has the skills to win in the short to intermediate areas, and wins in contested situations despite a 5'11/195 lbs frame.

As a smaller guy who can go up and snatch the ball with his hands in coverage he reminds me a lot of Stevonne Smith.

I am convinced after watching Beckham's highlights that he is a hybrid of Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. I watched every college play of Austin and Bailey's and Beckham splits the difference with those guys as far as I'm concerned. Here is some combine comparables:

Beckham | Bailey (body style)

----------------------------------------

5'11 vs. 5'10

198 vs. 193 lbs.

10" vs. 9 7/8" hands

Both are "hands catching WRs" with their big mits

Both were among the premier route runners in their respective draft classes

Beckham | Austin (athleticism)

-----------------------------------------

4.43 vs. 4.34 40 yard dash

122" vs. 120" broad jump

38.5" vs. 32.0" vertical

3.94 vs. 4.01 20-yd shuttle

7 reps vs. 14 reps bench

Both are elite in the return game and are like shifty RBs after the catch

Tavon Austin was always the superior athlete to Stedman Bailey at WVU. However, Bailey was a better overall WR given his mastery of the route tree, how he setup defenders and his great receiving technique. Many of his contested receptions looked almost identical to Bailey if you look at his highlight reel from WVU. Beckham might have the best traits of both these guys. That speaks very well to his prospects in the NFL.

Beckham is Sammy but an inch and a half shorter and has quicker feet/cutting ability.

I agree completely! He looks effortless like Watkins but actually seems to have better juking ability. He actually plays taller than he lists, imo.

I just watched more tape on OBJ because I seemed to have him ranked lower than most and I came away more impressed than I would have predicted. I still can't rank him much higher than 7 but I guess that just shows how deep this class really is. I'm glad I dug deeper on this guy as I definitely have my ears perked for him now too. I have to see how the NFL draft shakes out, but OBJ looks more fluid/quick/explosive than both Watkins and Cooks, imo and I have Cooks ranked #2 at the moment.

OBJ looks more fluid/quick/explosive than both Watkins and Cooks, imo and I have Cooks ranked #2 at the moment.

Definitely agree with that. He's also a lot slower than Cooks and a lot smaller than Sammy.

There's almost always a trade-off.

Nice video on Beckham here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tTGN8OoXKc

OBJ looks more fluid/quick/explosive than both Watkins and Cooks, imo and I have Cooks ranked #2 at the moment.

Definitely agree with that. He's also a lot slower than Cooks and a lot smaller than Sammy.

There's almost always a trade-off.

Nice video on Beckham here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tTGN8OoXKc

Cooks definitely has better long speed but I re-watched some of Cooks' games and I now find myself reconsidering where I should rank him. I'm giving a decent amount of weight on the fact that Cooks was a Biletnikoff semi-finalist in 2012 and then won in 2013 and maybe too much. He's definitely fast but when I see him make cuts, he's not very efficient. He also doesn't appear to be much of a juker like a DeSean Jackson. OBJ seems to shine over Cooks in that facet which I think is a more important trait.

I've been changing my rankings nightly this week as I anticipate the NFL draft. But as of this moment, here are the top 7 guys I'm targeting (I have 5 first round picks):

Rank 2014 WRs 1 Sammy Watkins 2 Allen Robinson 3 Brandin Cooks 4 Jordan Matthews 5 Davante Adams 6 Odell Beckham Jr. 7 Mike Evans

You'd think it's an easily learned trait, but apparently, by talking to many people in the industry, it's not...

But the way Beckham makes that step towards the ball to create that separation (and make the catch) is awesome. far too many WRs let the ball come to them, Beckham seems to always go to the ball, which creates that space that allows him to make the first move to get my defenders without elite speed.

Love this kid

Reminds me a little bit of Donald Driver. Not going to just fly downfield, but great making cuts and presenting a reliable target.

He comes from good genes too. His dad was a D1 RB (I wanna say LSU) and his mom a former track star.

Rank 2014 WRs 1 Sammy Watkins 2 Allen Robinson 3 Brandin Cooks 4 Jordan Matthews 5 Davante Adams 6 Odell Beckham Jr. 7 Mike Evans

I agree with the high ranking of Robinson btw, and sort of lower ranking of Beckham Jr. There's a lot of optimism surrounding Beckham after measuring well at the combine, but it doesn't help him create more separation than some of the other receivers in this draft. Despite his physical traits, he couldn't outproduce his less gifted teammate Landry, which worries me.

With that said, I wouldn't rank Beckham Jr. below Adams, or especially Matthews - of whom I have even more of the same reservation.

I agree with the high ranking of Robinson btw, and sort of lower ranking of Beckham Jr. There's a lot of optimism surrounding Beckham after measuring well at the combine, but it doesn't help him create more separation than some of the other receivers in this draft. Despite his physical traits, he couldn't outproduce his less gifted teammate Landry, which worries me.

With that said, I wouldn't rank Beckham Jr. below Adams, or especially Matthews - of whom I have even more of the same reservation.

Yeah, Im having a hard time with those three guys. Really my whole top 7 is tough to rank. Tome there is no slam dunk pick. My favorite is A Rob and if his combine 40 would have been higher he would be my slam dunk.

I read some blurbs from SEC coaches and they all echoed the same sentiment...their defensive game plan was to take away Beckham, not Landry. So I wouldn't worry too much about Landry marginally outperforming Beckham.

I could see that, he is versatile, in some ways like Hines Ward, though more explosive. Brown, Beckham and Wheaton would be a really dangerous trio that could stretch the field vertically.

Faust....I dig what you do. I appreciate you adding links to these outside articles that I'd otherwise probably not come across.

However, I can't tell you how many times I click on a thread I'm following to see that the only new post is you posting a link.

Just once I wish you'd bring an opinion/analysis to the table. Maybe you do at times, but it doesn't seem like it's very often.

Again, not bashing.

Edited by doowain

Faust....I dig what you do. I appreciate you adding links to these outside articles that I'd otherwise probably not come across.

However, I can't tell you how many times I click on a thread I'm following to see that the only new post is you posting a link.

Just once I'd like for you to bring an opinion/analysis to the table. Maybe you do at times, but it doesn't seem like it.

Again, not bashing...

Fair comment. It takes significant time to hunt down and post the volume of articles that I come across, so it doesn't leave a lot of time for me to add my own commentary, and often the articles are comprehensive enough that there isn't always much else to add. I also appreciate the debate and discussion that they stimulate among the FBG community and I gain a lot of insight from what gets posted in these discussions (when the threads don't deteriorate into bickering and name calling, which can happen frequently, and we should keep this one in mind at all times:URGENT - Please Read ).

I also post the Rookie polls and the Annual Training Camp threads, which also take a lot of time, so I don't always leave my own commentary in what I post. I will try to add my own thoughts a little more!

Edited by Faust
2 people like this

Just once I'd like for you to bring an opinion/analysis to the table. Maybe you do at times, but it doesn't seem like it.

Again, not bashing...

Fair comment. It takes significant time to hunt down and post the volume of articles that I come across, so it doesn't leave a lot of time for me to add my own commentary, and often the articles are comprehensive enough that there isn't always much else to add. I also appreciate the debate and discussion that they stimulate among the FBG community and I gain a lot of insight from what gets posted in these discussions (when the threads don't deteriorate into bickering and name calling, which can happen frequently, and we should keep this one in mind at all times:URGENT - Please Read ).

I also post the Rookie polls and the Annual Training Camp threads, which also take a lot of time, so I don't always leave my own commentary in what I post. I will try to add my own thoughts a little more!

:thumbup:

Jeremiah: Odell Beckham fits Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 15 pick

By Bryan Fischer

College Football 24/7 writer

Depth at the wide receiver position in the 2014 NFL Draft is becoming readily apparent with each passing week. Sure there are elite talents such as Sammy Watkins likely to come off the board within the first five picks, but what seems to make this a great receiver class is the quality of players expected to available in the later rounds.

That said, there's still a good chance that some high-end talents at the position will go early in the draft as teams look to land some playmakers for today's pass-happy NFL. One of the teams certain to be in the market for a wideout is undoubtedly the Pittsburgh Steelers.

While a number of folks think the team will look to shore up the secondary with their first-round draft pick, it's possible they'll opt to go a different direction when May rolls around. Coach Mike Tomlin and other Steelers personnel were recently at LSU's pro day to take in the workout of receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and even took him out for dinner the night before.

Could Beckham actually be in play for Pittsburgh with the 15th overall pick?

"Absolutely," NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said on Friday's "Path to the Draft." "He's my third-rated wide receiver in this draft class behind Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins. (Beckham) is electric with the football in his hands. He gives you so much explosiveness. Plus, you have the added value of seeing what he can do in the return game.

"I think he's a very exciting player."

Recent NFL.com mock drafts don't have Beckham going quite that high in the draft, with just two analysts thinking he'll go as early as the 18th overall pick to the Jets.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise, though, if the Steelers were to reach a little for someone like Beckham, who has risen quickly to become the third-best receiver in the draft in Jeremiah's eyes. Unless Evans were to somehow fall past the Giants with the 12th pick, Tomlin and company could wind up grabbing a receiver who brings plenty of speed to the table even if he's not the biggest in the draft, at 5-foot-11.

"I know he doesn't have the size of a big receiver to replace Plexico Burress, but he's the best receiver likely to be on the board when they pick," Jeremiah said. "I think he'd be a great choice.

"Don't get hung up on size," he said. "You have a big receiver, you have a small receiver -- don't worry about that. Get the best one, and in this case it would be Odell Beckham."

We're sure Todd Haley would easily be able to find a role for Beckham if indeed that's the selection in the first round. In fact, we're pretty sure Ben Roethlisberger is already lobbying the team to grab the LSU speedster and think defense in the second round.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

Brown, Wheaton, and Beckham Jr. would be a nice trio for Roethlisberger to be throwing to, even if all 3 are under 6'

As much as I like Beckham, I am also a Steelers fan and I would not be happy if they went that route. I think Beckham could do well in Pittsburgh as a player but we need secondary help bad and a tall target not another sub 6foot guy with electric play-making.

PIT has had 6'0" plus WRs, but other than Plaxico (drafted before Tomlin), have they had many BIG WRs in recent years that made an impact? Limas Sweed was a bust, of course.

They seem to like WRs that aren't necessarily huge. They do have a good TE, one of the better complete blocker/receiver TEs, with Witten

Ward

Holmes

Wallace

Brown

Sanders

Wheaton

Cotchery