What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (4 Viewers)

think he's Owens already after 1 season.

locker room cancer incoming
I am curious, are you saying all these because you actually like him and trying to get a mojo going (reverse of what you did in the Gordon thread) or do you really not like him?
I own him.

I ranked him as the no2 WR in last year's draft (as seen above)

just think he's a bish, has a tude, and his hammies are a problem
Yeah, not getting as good a vibe as I felt after he led my team to a championship in my highest $$$ league. I can keep him for a 10th rounder, so there's that, but I was excited at having him for years (only 1 keeper). These articles definitely have taken some luster off of that. Just odd to say those things to the media.

I am curious, are you saying all these because you actually like him and trying to get a mojo going (reverse of what you did in the Gordon thread) or do you really not like him?
I own him.

Yeah, not getting as good a vibe as I felt after he led my team to a championship in my highest $$$ league. I can keep him for a 10th rounder, so there's that, but I was excited at having him for years (only 1 keeper). These articles definitely have taken some luster off of that. Just odd to say those things to the media.
it's June...it's noise...what matters is what happens on the field. He'll be fine...much ado about nothing.

People forget that these quotes are answers to questions. I doubt OB just started venting on his own. Most likely the reporter heard some of the ribbing and asked OB about it.

Since we are talking FF, I really don't care if he's TO in the locker room.

As long as he's TO on the field, he's still a 1st round WR1.

The Hammy is the only issue to watch here, everything else is just noise.

I own him.

it's June...it's noise...what matters is what happens on the field. He'll be fine...much ado about nothing.
I agree, but I'll be honest if it didn't concern me. Maybe lots of NFLers answer questions like this, so maybe because he is now a name.

I liken it to Kevin Love. We saw some odd articles/tweets about LeBron and his relationship. If Love goes elsewhere then it won't surprise me. For a Cleveland fan, they probably see some of that the same way an OBJ owner might see these articles. May not make a difference in the end, but you'd much rather feel like there was harmony.

Soul is making a mountain out of a molehill. Yeah Odell is cribbing a bit now but that doesn't make him a malcontent. I guess slow news month.

If you think 2 straight offseasons of hammy issues is nothing, that's cool.

I just think it's an issue. Obv when he's on the field, he's ridiculous

It could be an issue, but I won't know if it is till the season is over but I would take a chance on him even if he plays half the season because as you said when he is on the field .....

Like stealthy cat says Buy Now. He took me to a title last year and he will be on my team this year...I am in auction format and will pay what I need to get him. I saw everything I needed to when he was a ROOKIE and had no one to take coverage away from him and took the league by storm. You can talk locker room cancer and Hammies blah blah blah...this guy is one of those guys that comes around every so often....pass on him and you will regret it...

Isaac Bruce had hamstring issues early in his career and then years and years of nothing but production. It's really nothing to panic over at this point. I don't own him anywhere but this would not concern me one bit. I'd try to get him cheaper based on this but that won't happen in any of my leagues.

Dr. Octopus said:

Isaac Bruce had hamstring issues early in his career and then years and years of nothing but production. It's really nothing to panic over at this point. I don't own him anywhere but this would not concern me one bit. I'd try to get him cheaper based on this but that won't happen in any of my leagues.
And how many guys had hammy issues in their early 20s that lingered?

Bruce seems to be closer to an outlier.

Hammy issues are no joke. But I still take my chances with OBJ, I just place his overall value lower because of them. Not his overall ranking, but value.

He is a once in a generation talent, Calvin, Julio, and Brown rolled into one. As a rookie he was unstoppable. As a sophomore, he will be Jerry Rice-esque. No one can stop him. I saw all I needed to see last year. Canton is already sizing this guy's bust. Glad I own him!!!

He is a once in a generation talent, Calvin, Julio, and Brown rolled into one. As a rookie he was unstoppable. As a sophomore, he will be Jerry Rice-esque. No one can stop him. I saw all I needed to see last year. Canton is already sizing this guy's bust. Glad I own him!!!
poor obj.

he'll always have the madden cover

Geesh, Soulfly... I have to choose between Calvin and OBJ... why are you trying to make this difficult?

Different subject, but I remember you as a big Mason guy. What was your take on Gurley?

Geesh, Soulfly... I have to choose between Calvin and OBJ... why are you trying to make this difficult?

Different subject, but I remember you as a big Mason guy. What was your take on Gurley?
Stupid pick.

Also, Id take Calvin in redraft. OBJ in dyno. prob a minority, but whatever

Stupid pick.

I probably go Calvin in redraft also but at least it is a good discussion topic.

OBJ by a lot in dyno

Stupid pick.

Stupid for Mason supporters, great for Gurley guys. If Gurley returns to full health and is as advertised, Mason will be an afterthought until he gets traded or signs elsewhere. He is not without talent though. It's like having Jennifer Lawrence signed to do your movie then you find out Scarlett Johansson wants in. What are ya going to do?

Stupid pick.

Stupid for Mason supporters, great for Gurley guys. If Gurley returns to full health and is as advertised, Mason will be an afterthought until he gets traded or signs elsewhere. He is not without talent though. It's like having Jennifer Lawrence signed to do your movie then you find out Scarlett Johansson wants in. What are ya going to do?
Ill wait til Gurley is healthy enough to play an NFL snap, and then see how he does in the NFL before I start ####ting myself.

TRich taught me that.

It was an idiotic pick for the Rams.

Stupid pick.

Simple. The two chicks at once.

Stupid pick.

That's exactly what the Rams did but it won't take long for them realize who the true star is...

Stupid pick.

That's exactly what the Rams did but it won't take long for them realize who the true star is...
Scarlett....

I believe Bruce's hamstring problems were fixed by wearing special cleats.

Stupid pick.

Ill wait til Gurley is healthy enough to play an NFL snap, and then see how he does in the NFL before I start ####ting myself.

TRich taught me that.

It was an idiotic pick for the Rams.
Tre Mason averaged 3.79 YPC if you take out his run vs Oakland. I think the Rams made a good pick grabbing the best RB prospect since AP and realizing Mason is a COP RB.

Trich college stats: 540 for 3130 yards 5.8 35 TD

Gurley college stats: 510 for 3285 yards 6.4 36 TD

We also know who had the better OL...not even a contest. I guess I could say Amari Cooper could bust because Desmond Howard was the 4th overall pick like him too in 1992. Twist whatever you want, but Gurley is a much better prospect than Trich.

Even it OBJ missed four games a year for the rest of his career he'd still be a #1 fantasy wide receiver.

Randy Moss offered some odd headlines during his career but he always produced, so will Beckham Jr. Don't let some Big Apple media hype/tear down/overreact non-sense cloud your judgement. OBJ is a player.

Stupid pick.

I've been thinking OBJ all winter... A little surprised by the negative news.

We've seen rookies put up numbers (Tampa Mike Williams, Eddie Royal) only to have that be their career year. Beckham was more impressive than those guys but attitude is my main concern. Sometimes these guys (especially WRs) let success go their heads.

On a related note, I was very impressed by the attitude of Jeremy Hill from an NFL station interview. Came across as focused and level headed.

Still leaning Beckham.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope more negative articles keep coming out. Could he get hurt? Sure. Regress? Sure. But I think I'll trust my eyes on what I saw last year and take him every chance I get. He's making me love getting late middle to late draft slots.

I hope more negative articles keep coming out. Could he get hurt? Sure. Regress? Sure. But I think I'll trust my eyes on what I saw last year and take him every chance I get. He's making me love getting late middle to late draft slots.
it's funny the cycles of these things...it was popular to get on the bandwagon and talk about how good he is and everything about him. Now that he's among the top people are looking for any reasons to knock him down.

My outlook hasn't changed one bit on him and people may think I'm nuts but if he can stay healthy he's got the abilities and internal drive to be one of the best that ever played the position.

He's a terrific, young player but I think people paying the price to get him are setting themselves up for relative disappointment (because the hype is SO over the top that someone taking him top 10 pick will somehow feel cheated if he "only" has 1200/11 this year or something).

The areas that lead me to think this:

Every rookie who has ever splashed big in their rookie year with 1,000+, etc who has followed it up with an "as good or better" performance the next year has A)avoided injury and B)increased their targets the following year.

I don't like to predict injuries so will just leave it as mentioned in case there are people who ARE concerned about the hamstrings.

On the targets, however, OBJ had 130 which was quite high. Eli Manning attempted 601 passes, which was already top 5-6 in the league. The league leader was Drew Brees with 659 or so. So, an already very high amount has to be increased even further, into the range of overall league-leading territory. Is that likely for the Giants?

Combined with that is the fact that Victor Cruz returns and Randle seems to be improving. McAdoo's system is typically one of spreading the ball around. How will that affect things? Does the return of a healthy running game skim the passing numbers back also?

Some other numbers that look daunting/telling:

During the last month of the season, OBJ averaged 16 targets a game. That is an incredibly inflating number. When I think of guys who seemingly are targeted every snap of the game due to their large volume (like Antonio Brown) and see that Brown's targets are in the 11/targets per game range, the 16 looks even more suspect. It very easily explains why we all have this recent memory of greatness-why we think he was doing it all on every single play--because he was, but how realistic is it that any player's norm becomes this type of use?

With the type of volume that OBJ had, it is likely that any player would look great in fantasy. But what happens when the volume isn't there? There was only one game in which OBJ exceeded 100 yards receiving on less that 11 targets. That's may not be a negative because Julio, Antonio, And Demaryius only did it a few times themselves (partly because they only played in 1-2 games where they were targeted less than 10 times so there were few opportunities to do it), but it does illustrate that the BIG games went hand-in-hand with the unadulterated peppering of targets. Again, averaged 16 targets a game for a month. That is hard to believe it could continue to support the numbers resulted.

The Giants averaged 23.8 points per game last year, which is right in the middle of the league averages (a bit above). However, in 4 of the final 6 games they played last year, they found themselves in games were the two teams combined for 60+ points. They went 3-3 in those games and lost 2 of those games to the top two teams in their division and one to the Jaguars. In real life, this is not what the Giants want to do because it does not fit their team objectives to get into shootouts with the Cowboys and Eagles, etc, and lose games.

To me, he's a great, young player who will be hard to justify the price for in auctions and dynasty startups. In redraft, sure, nobody is going to fault the guy that prefers him over Calvin or Dez or the three guys that were already mentioned, but for the price, it is likely that you could get better value.

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham said his right hamstring "feels a lot better" after he missed most of offseason workouts.

The left hamstring is what gave Beckham fits last summer and forced him to miss the first month of the regular season. This injury isn't believed to be as severe, and Beckham plans on being ready when the Giants open training camp next week. OBJ's ADP is currently in the late-first or early-second round.

Source: giants.com
Jul 22 - 8:44 AM

Users who are viewing this thread