What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (5 Viewers)

I'm doing a PPR startup right now and he was only the 14th rookie drafted with some really stunning picks going ahead of him (Hill and Benjamin). Very surprising. I was one of the guilty parties, passing on him at 7.08 for Allen Robinson. I would not have guesses that I'd make that pick going into the draft, but then again I didn't expect Beckham to be available and funny things happen when you're on the clock. Seems like a pretty huge fail based on how the NFL rated their respective values. I ultimately couldn't sell myself on Odell as anything other than a complementary player in FF and while Robinson may end up being the same thing, a bigger target with better possession and RAC skills seemed more appealing.

I don't see the Steve Smith comparison with Beckham. Smith is a little guy on paper, but on the field he's insanely strong and competitive. Probably more deserving of the "honey badger" nickname than Tyrann Mathieu. When you look at the elite NFL WRs, you quickly notice that physicality is perhaps even more important than sheer explosiveness or speed. Guys like Fitz and Demaryius are not sprinter fast, but when you combine their good overall speed and quickness with their size and toughness, that's what makes them very difficult to handle. That could be a problem for Beckham. Despite being a tough player with a willingness to compete for the ball, I felt he was often battered in contested ball situations.

While it's not a huge deal to me by any means, I'm also mildly concerned that he was only okay when facing good competition. The phenom index doesn't love him either. I definitely don't see him as an NFL bust. He's way too athletic and skilled. However, he strikes me as a guy who might have more value in the NFL than in FF. A part of me thinks he was a reach by about 15-25 picks where NYG took him. I see him as closer to a rich man's Andre Roberts than the next Steve Smith. I think he has a very solid chance to become a 1000+ yard guy in the NFL at some point, but I'd expect it to be as mediium catches/high yards per catch/low TDs type of guy. Not as a 90 reception target machine, which would be my preference.
Like most people, I use NFL draft status as a guideline for rookie rankings. In OBJ's case though, I have a hard time respecting him as a borderline top 10 pick. With receivers like Jordan Matthews going ahead of him, it seems I have company. In the mold of a player like Tavon Austin, I agree that Beckham could have more value in real football, with use in special teams - he's a decent kick returner. Unlike Austin though, I feel like the Giants reached for OBJ. Usually a player drafted so high has at least some elite trait - speed, receiving skill/route running/hands, college production, jump ball, size, quickness, flexibility ect. You could say Beckham has a decent speed/size ratio (nothing crazy though), but imo lacks more for my comfort in ways like receiving skills and hands. To me, he reeks of role player rather than difference maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could only find two WR's drafted in the first 12 picks who didn't lead his team in receptions at least once - Travis Taylor and Ike Hilliard.

KellysHeroes said:
He's not a smurf, he's 5'11 and just shy of 200
People act like he's Tyrion Lannister. The thing I hate most in the fantasy community is the "to small" argument. He has an amazing catch radius and massive hands, people over blow size too much. He could post a 1200 yard season this year and people would still think he was too small.

cloppbeast said:
EBF said:
I'm doing a PPR startup right now and he was only the 14th rookie drafted with some really stunning picks going ahead of him (Hill and Benjamin). Very surprising. I was one of the guilty parties, passing on him at 7.08 for Allen Robinson. I would not have guesses that I'd make that pick going into the draft, but then again I didn't expect Beckham to be available and funny things happen when you're on the clock. Seems like a pretty huge fail based on how the NFL rated their respective values. I ultimately couldn't sell myself on Odell as anything other than a complementary player in FF and while Robinson may end up being the same thing, a bigger target with better possession and RAC skills seemed more appealing.

I don't see the Steve Smith comparison with Beckham. Smith is a little guy on paper, but on the field he's insanely strong and competitive. Probably more deserving of the "honey badger" nickname than Tyrann Mathieu. When you look at the elite NFL WRs, you quickly notice that physicality is perhaps even more important than sheer explosiveness or speed. Guys like Fitz and Demaryius are not sprinter fast, but when you combine their good overall speed and quickness with their size and toughness, that's what makes them very difficult to handle. That could be a problem for Beckham. Despite being a tough player with a willingness to compete for the ball, I felt he was often battered in contested ball situations.

While it's not a huge deal to me by any means, I'm also mildly concerned that he was only okay when facing good competition. The phenom index doesn't love him either. I definitely don't see him as an NFL bust. He's way too athletic and skilled. However, he strikes me as a guy who might have more value in the NFL than in FF. A part of me thinks he was a reach by about 15-25 picks where NYG took him. I see him as closer to a rich man's Andre Roberts than the next Steve Smith. I think he has a very solid chance to become a 1000+ yard guy in the NFL at some point, but I'd expect it to be as mediium catches/high yards per catch/low TDs type of guy. Not as a 90 reception target machine, which would be my preference.
Like most people, I use NFL draft status as a guideline for rookie rankings. In OBJ's case though, I have a hard time respecting him as a borderline top 10 pick. With receivers like Jordan Matthews going ahead of him, it seems I have company. In the mold of a player like Tavon Austin, I agree that Beckham could have more value in real football, with use in special teams - he's a decent kick returner. Unlike Austin though, I feel like the Giants reached for OBJ. Usually a player drafted so high has at least some elite trait - speed, receiving skill/route running/hands, college production, jump ball, size, quickness, flexibility ect. You could say Beckham has a decent speed/size ratio (nothing crazy though), but imo lacks more for my comfort in ways like receiving skills and hands. To me, he reeks of role player rather than difference maker.
interesting because one of the things that is most commented about Odell is his superior route-running. GM there even commented on it a couple of weeks ago. he's got fine size/speed but he's got an edge on most rookies in that regard. i'm really looking forward to seeing how he does in minicamp and inter-team scrimmages.

KellysHeroes said:
He's not a smurf, he's 5'11 and just shy of 200
People act like he's Tyrion Lannister. The thing I hate most in the fantasy community is the "to small" argument. He has an amazing catch radius and massive hands, people over blow size too much. He could post a 1200 yard season this year and people would still think he was too small.
Almost a clone of Greg Jennings and it didn't take long for people to stop saying he was too small.

Where is the consensus with this guy now? I kinda ignored any talk from the combine til now because I realized as the draft got close he was going to be a lot more expensive than I think he is worth in rookie drafts. Redraft is a different animal though.

Who said Beckham was 'too small'?
i think it is more he is not big and most fantasy people feel more comfortable with big receivers.My issue with Beckham is that unlike other not tall receivers like Natonio a Brown he doesn't play taller than he is. That's the great equalizer. Dude is electric, but I think there are less ways to get him the ball, may limit his role some,

Who said Beckham was 'too small'?
i think it is more he is not big and most fantasy people feel more comfortable with big receivers.My issue with Beckham is that unlike other not tall receivers like Antonio a Brown he doesn't play taller than he is. That's the great equalizer. Dude is electric, but I think there are less ways to get him the ball, may limit his role some,
Don't forget, OBJ had the best haircut at the combine, by far.

I would say the same about a 5'10" 200 lb receiver. Certainly not 'too small' by any means, but just not big enough to consider his size an asset. He won't win many battles in the NFL because of his height, weight, or strength. His $90 haircut won't help him either.

cloppbeast said:
EBF said:

interesting because one of the things that is most commented about Odell is his superior route-running. GM there even commented on it a couple of weeks ago. he's got fine size/speed but he's got an edge on most rookies in that regard. i'm really looking forward to seeing how he does in minicamp and inter-team scrimmages.
Yeah, that makes no sense to me. The main reason he went so high was that he came out with elite route running skills. And I'm not sure about you guys but sub 4.4 is "elite speed" to me at WR.

As for the other posts saying he doesn't play bigger than his size. Sure he does, did anyone watch the tape on this kid? I made a post somewhere I think it was here that between his broad and vert and height his catch radius is almost the same as Mike Evans.

I made a post somewhere I think it was here that between his broad and vert and height his catch radius is almost the same as Mike Evans.
How do you figure? Evans is 6'4"+ with a 37" vertical and 35 1/8" arms. Beckham is 5'11"+ with a 38.5" vertical and 32 3/4" arms. Evans is really good at boxing out defenders to win contested balls. Beckham not so much. He has to make a spectacular athletic play just to have a chance at passes that would be easy for Evans. You would expect Evans to come down with some of these, and this is just from one game:

3:50 - http://youtu.be/GOXnTM2OsWk?t=3m50s

6:15 - http://youtu.be/GOXnTM2OsWk?t=6m15s

6:49 - http://youtu.be/GOXnTM2OsWk?t=6m49s

7:35 - http://youtu.be/GOXnTM2OsWk?t=7m35s

I'm not going to say those were easy catches or great throws, but Evans probably comes down with 1-2 of them. I think if Beckham becomes a top WR, it will be through his ability to create separation as opposed to his ability to win battles on 50/50 balls. The latter was tough for him in college and will become more difficult in the NFL. I think if you combined the best attributes of Beckham and Evans you would have a top 5 NFL WR, but Evans isn't nearly as athletic as Beckham and Beckham isn't nearly as big or physical.

I made a post somewhere I think it was here that between his broad and vert and height his catch radius is almost the same as Mike Evans.
How do you figure? Evans is 6'4"+ with a 37" vertical and 35 1/8" arms. Beckham is 5'11"+ with a 38.5" vertical and 32 3/4" arms. Evans is really good at boxing out defenders to win contested balls. Beckham not so much. He has to make a spectacular athletic play just to have a chance at passes that would be easy for Evans. You would expect Evans to come down with some of these, and this is just from one game:

3:50 - http://youtu.be/GOXnTM2OsWk?t=3m50s

6:15 - http://youtu.be/GOXnTM2OsWk?t=6m15s

6:49 - http://youtu.be/GOXnTM2OsWk?t=6m49s

7:35 - http://youtu.be/GOXnTM2OsWk?t=7m35s

I'm not going to say those were easy catches or great throws, but Evans probably comes down with 1-2 of them. I think if Beckham becomes a top WR, it will be through his ability to create separation as opposed to his ability to win battles on 50/50 balls. The latter was tough for him in college and will become more difficult in the NFL. I think if you combined the best attributes of Beckham and Evans you would have a top 5 NFL WR, but Evans isn't nearly as athletic as Beckham and Beckham isn't nearly as big or physical.
Those are some insane throws... all 4 of those could have a case made for blatant PI. That said, nah, I still doubt Evans comes up with those... the issue with all 4 of those passes except the 4th one is that they were underthrown not overthrown.

The 1st one Beckham had to come back to the ball against 2 defenders that were clearly interfering.

The 2nd one he should have probably caught, but the defender just starts smacking his hands without every even attempting to look back at the ball.

The 3rd pass should've been Offensive PI but even still it was a horribly underthrown pass, he had the CB beat to the corner and the QB just lofted a terrible pass.

The 4th one is another one that's really close to PI, but again underthrown not over thrown.

I will agree, if Evans had Beckham's speed and route running ability he'd be a Top 5 WR. I mean... combining Beckham's best traits (sub 4.4 speed, amazing vert, big hands, amazing route running) with Evans best traits (more or less just a huge man) essentially already exists, his name is Calvin Johnson lol

Very interesting discussions. FBG rookie ranking has him as No. 3 overall. From what I have seen, he is drafted much much lower whether in start up or rookie draft.

Based on NYG WR drafting history, I am leaning toward FBG's ranking.

Very interesting discussions. FBG rookie ranking has him as No. 3 overall. From what I have seen, he is drafted much much lower whether in start up or rookie draft.

Based on NYG WR drafting history, I am leaning toward FBG's ranking.
He's went 3 to 8 in the leagues I've seen. In the one he went 8 the only pick I really didn't like was Lee ahead of him. 3 to 7 is a good range, but I do have him as WR4 just behind Cooks.

I could only find two WR's drafted in the first 12 picks who didn't lead his team in receptions at least once - Travis Taylor and Ike Hilliard.
How about Ted Ginn, Jr? He was drafted number 9 in 2007 and only had 34 receptions. Marty Booker had 50 receptions that year. ( I guess Ginn had 56 in 2008 and beat out Camarillo with 55 and Bess with 54, but that's hardly an accomplishment).

There's my favorite (as a VIking's fan): Troy Williamson, taken number 7 overall in 2005. Williamson had 24 receptions; Travis Taylor had 50 and Marcus Robinson 31. Williamson never did lead his team in receptions.

David Terrell was taken number 8 by the Bears in 2001: He had 34 his rookie year and his best years were 43 in 2003 and 42 in 2004. In 2003 Marty Booker and Dez White both had more receptions and in 2004 Bobby Wade tied him with 42, but a HB, THomas Jones led the team in receptions.

How about Ted Ginn, Jr? He was drafted number 9 in 2007 and only had 34 receptions. Marty Booker had 50 receptions that year. ( I guess Ginn had 56 in 2008 and beat out Camarillo with 55 and Bess with 54, but that's hardly an accomplishment).

There's my favorite (as a VIking's fan): Troy Williamson, taken number 7 overall in 2005. Williamson had 24 receptions; Travis Taylor had 50 and Marcus Robinson 31. Williamson never did lead his team in receptions.

David Terrell was taken number 8 by the Bears in 2001: He had 34 his rookie year and his best years were 43 in 2003 and 42 in 2004. In 2003 Marty Booker and Dez White both had more receptions and in 2004 Bobby Wade tied him with 42, but a HB, THomas Jones led the team in receptions.
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to college.

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham - WR - Giants

Giants rookie WR Odell Beckham got in work with Eli Manning during the Manning Passing Acadamy.

Manning is in the same boat as the rookie trying to learn a new offense under OC Ben McAdoo. The duo practiced several routes and worked on the passing concepts and signals of the new offense. This extra work is undoubtably good news for Beckham, but he is still unlikely to make a big fantasy impact in redraft formats.

Source: New York Daily News

Jul 12 - 9:52 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York's Dan Graziano reports the Giants plan to use rookie Odell Beckham to "stretch out defenses" in a way that allows them to operate with quick-hitting options.

Beckham would essentially be a decoy, running clearing routes for Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle to get open underneath. Graziano is skeptical that Beckham will be able to beat press coverage and has concerns over how he'll matchup with physical corners, though "people around the league" think he can contribute right away. Beckham is the No. 54 receiver in Rotoworld's pre-training camp rankings, with a projected 52/702/5 rookie-year line.

Source: ESPN New York

Jul 19 - 9:06 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York's Dan Graziano reports the Giants plan to use rookie Odell Beckham to "stretch out defenses" in a way that allows them to operate with quick-hitting options.

Beckham would essentially be a decoy, running clearing routes for Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle to get open underneath. Graziano is skeptical that Beckham will be able to beat press coverage and has concerns over how he'll matchup with physical corners, though "people around the league" think he can contribute right away. Beckham is the No. 54 receiver in Rotoworld's pre-training camp rankings, with a projected 52/702/5 rookie-year line.

It's how he was used in college so it suits him well. Average distance of target was 13.81 yards.

Rotoworld:

It's how he was used in college so it suits him well. Average distance of target was 13.81 yards.
I feel like the Giants would waste his open field ability by failing to get him some screens and slants as well.

Rotoworld:

Giants GM Jerry Reese admitted the team is concerned about first-round rookie WR Odell Beckham's "tweaked" hamstring.

"He missed part of spring ball with a hamstring and he tweaked it yesterday. Obviously there is a concern," Reese said. Beckham first injured the hammy in the spring, and then re-tweaked it on his first route on the opening day of training camp Tuesday. Coach Tom Coughlin said after Wednesday's practice that he has no idea when Beckham will be back on the field. Rookie receivers tend to struggle in year one anyway, so any missed practice time for Beckham is a concern. Jerrell Jernigan ran with the starters in three-wide sets on Wednesday.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Jul 23 - 4:33 PM

Rotoworld:

Giants coach Tom Coughlin referred to first-round pick Odell Beckham's (hamstring) continued training camp absences as "more than a little disappointing."

Hamstring injuries have a frustrating tendency to linger, and Beckham has been battling his since OTAs. He's been shut down at training camp, only fielding punts. Beckham's absence has given Jerrel Jernigan more opportunity.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Jul 27 - 3:35 PM

Judging by the volume of negative posts about Beckham on Rotoworld, I would assume they don't like him. That makes me like him even more....
He hasn't practiced much due to a hamstring issue
Yeah, I know. It happens. I'm just saying, rotoworld really keeps harping on it even though the Coughlin references aren't really as bad as they are trying to make it out to be. Hopefully this drives his ADP down a little more so I can get him a bit cheaper in my last dyno draft.

Judging by the volume of negative posts about Beckham on Rotoworld, I would assume they don't like him. That makes me like him even more....
What in the world are you talking about? Seems they are just pointing out he's been injured and missed time.... Which has been disappointing.

He's a 1st round pick, of course they are disappointed that he hasn't been able to get reps in, because you're expected to produce right away. But being a 1st round pick, it's not like he's going to get cut or miss his window of opportunity to be a starter. Him missing reps right now does nothing to his affect his value to the team or to fantasy owners except maybe take a little extra time to learn the system and get up to speed.

If he was an UDFA signing or a very late round pick buried on the depth chart then that's a different story.

This is obviously disappointing. This is reminiscent of Terry Glenn's injury-filled rookie camp which prompted a frustrated Coach Parcells to observe to reporters, "She's making progress."

I get that Beckham was really going to be mostly running the deep routes and that might not take the most refining. Still, missing all this developmental time is going to hurt.

This is obviously disappointing. This is reminiscent of Terry Glenn's injury-filled rookie camp which prompted a frustrated Coach Parcells to observe to reporters, "She's making progress."
i don't think this is an injury that just came up. IIRC it's the same hammy issue that kept him out of OTAs. he's been dealing with it most of the year. what's of real concern is that it has dragged on this long but it seems like this kind of injury is one that can linger.

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham (hamstring) has been ruled out of Sunday's preseason opener.
It's an expected move, as Beckham hasn't practiced since last week. Beckham's hamstring issues date back to OTAs and could impact his early-season playing time. Jerrel Jernigan will replace Beckham in three-wide sets.

Source: Ebenezer Samuel on Twitter

i don't think this is an injury that just came up. IIRC it's the same hammy issue that kept him out of OTAs. he's been dealing with it most of the year. what's of real concern is that it has dragged on this long but it seems like this kind of injury is one that can linger.
he's been given tons of time to rest, access to pro trainers and docs, he should be over a strain that occurred in the spring. I hear Coughlin's frustration.

There's lots of positive posts here, but the guy has to practice soon or Jernigan will make them think of Beckham in year two.

Glenn set a then rookie record for catches

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York's Dan Graziano reports the Giants plan to use rookie Odell Beckham to "stretch out defenses" in a way that allows them to operate with quick-hitting options.Beckham would essentially be a decoy, running clearing routes for Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle to get open underneath. Graziano is skeptical that Beckham will be able to beat press coverage and has concerns over how he'll matchup with physical corners, though "people around the league" think he can contribute right away. Beckham is the No. 54 receiver in Rotoworld's pre-training camp rankings, with a projected 52/702/5 rookie-year line.

I feel like the Giants would waste his open field ability by failing to get him some screens and slants as well.
Rotoworld:

ESPN New York's Dan Graziano reports the Giants plan to use rookie Odell Beckham to "stretch out defenses" in a way that allows them to operate with quick-hitting options.Beckham would essentially be a decoy, running clearing routes for Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle to get open underneath. Graziano is skeptical that Beckham will be able to beat press coverage and has concerns over how he'll matchup with physical corners, though "people around the league" think he can contribute right away. Beckham is the No. 54 receiver in Rotoworld's pre-training camp rankings, with a projected 52/702/5 rookie-year line.

Giants have new offeinsive coordinator that is installing a west coast type offense similiar to Green Bay's.

Odell Beckham injury update: Giants rookie 'getting close' to return, will work with a QB

By Jordan Raanan | NJ.com

on August 06, 2014 at 1:10 PM, updated August 06, 2014 at 1:12 PM

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Giants first-round pick Odell Beckham was running up and down the sideline Tuesday at practice (see below). It wasn't full speed, more like a three-quarters jog. He went back and forth in front of the media, four or five times, then zigged and zagged at a similar speed.

At this point for the injured rookie, that is progress. The wide receiver, the 12th-overall pick this year, is trying to recover from a hamstring injury. He's been catching punts and working on the JUGS machine for the past few weeks, but this is the first time he was seen outside running.

"Sounds like he's getting close," coach Tom Coughlin said before practice on Wednesday. "They have him doing a lot of things. They're going to push him to do a little bit more today and then they are going to get a quarterback to throw to him and see how that goes too.

"So he's getting close."

Finally, there is some promising news regarding the playmaking wide receiver. Beckham aggravated the hamstring on the first day of training camp practice. He has been sidelined ever since, and even went for an MRI last week. The results were encouraging.

The Giants could use Beckham back. They've already lost a playmaker in the backfield when David Wilson was forced from the game and nobody has stepped up at the tight end position.

Beckham was supposed to compete with Jerrel Jernigan for a starting spot aside Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle this summer. But Beckham hasn't been on the field with an injury that originally occurred during OTAs and was aggravated early in training camp.

Jernigan has been up and down throughout camp -- and was exactly that in the preseason opener with a drop and two tough receptions -- at times having trouble catching the ball. He dropped several passes in practice on Tuesday as well.

As a result, Marcus Harris, who has made a positive impression this spring and in training camp, is expected to take some snaps with the first team on Wednesday.

Rotoworld:

Giants rookie Odell Beckham (hamstring) insists he's getting "close" to returning.

"I'm getting there," Beckham said Thursday. "It's a process, should be soon. I'm definitely getting close." It echoes comments made by coach Tom Coughlin on Wednesday. Coughlin has been exasperated with Beckham's slow recovery, but there's no reason for the G-Men to push their first-round pick. Beckham will miss this week's preseason tilt, and should be considered questionable for game three.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Aug 7 - 1:13 PM

Would really like to see him get some playing time in at least 2 preseason games. This week is out for sure, but hopefully he can get some time in Week 2 and Week 3 since no starters will be playing Week 4.

Rotoworld:

Giants first-round pick Odell Beckham (hamstring) will return to practice on an individual basis Monday.
The Giants will gauge Beckham's recovery, and likely bring him along slowly after the LSU product's early-camp setback. With Beckham on the shelf, Jerrel Jernigan has soaked up first-team reps with Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle.

Source: Ebenezer Samuel on Twitter

This has the makings of an excellent buy-low opportunity sometime in the next year.
His ADP will probably start to climb any minute now. All it takes is one positive report about something spectacular he does in practice or in a preseason game to get the ball rolling. He's going at the back end of the first round of rookie drafts now which I think is pretty crazy for the #12 overall pick in the NFL draft.

This has the makings of an excellent buy-low opportunity sometime in the next year.
His ADP will probably start to climb any minute now. All it takes is one positive report about something spectacular he does in practice or in a preseason game to get the ball rolling. He's going at the back end of the first round of rookie drafts now which I think is pretty crazy for the #12 overall pick in the NFL draft.
Fell to 1.11 in my 16-team .5 PPR... we count return yardage too. I happily scooped him up.

Odell Beckham exited Monday's practice early and may have experienced a setback with his hamstring.

Midway through practice, Beckham was running a route upfield and pulled up lame. He immediately left the field and watched the remainder of practice from the sideline. The Giants say Beckham is "fine," but it's obviously something to watch. If Beckham didn't experience a setback, he should play this week.

Source: New York Daily News
Aug 19 - 10:20 a.m.

So you got a rookie high draft pick who can't practice/ stay on the field to learn the plays and routes and he is the automatic starter....then you have a rookie WR (Corey Washington) who was a free agent, is making every practice and ever play that comes his way in the games and he is relegated to working with the 4th string....I thought Coughlin was a coach who played his best players regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread