What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (3 Viewers)

AZ's cornerbacks besides PP are really really really bad. If Evans can get away from PP, he will be in for a big day. 

Who has had decent games Vs PP recently? 

Amari Cooper had some decent catches on last year (but it was in wk  3 pre season)

Where do you guys see him ranking over the next say 4 years?  Is Winston just in a sophomore slump and turns it around?

Where do you guys see him ranking over the next say 4 years?  Is Winston just in a sophomore slump and turns it around?
I think it's a combo of Winston being in a little slump and also just facing 3 really good defenses in a row (AZ, LA, DEN). After the bye week, his schedule is much more favorable and I see him and Evans putting up monster numbers in the 2nd half of the season. 

From someone who has watched every Bucs snap this year, I'd say about half of Winston's INT's weren't really his fault. A few were due to wrong/bad routes being ran, dropped passes that were tipped right to the defense, another was on a hail mary in garbage time. He did look bad against the Broncos and both of the INT's were definitely his fault, but the Broncos also have the best D in the league and were getting constant pressure on him. The kid is also only 22 and has only played 20 games in the league, so I think he will cut down a bit on the turnovers, but I believe he will always throw a decent amount of INT's just because he's a gunslinger and is not afraid to throw into tight windows. But, I wouldn't be worried about Winston holding Evans back going forward.

Going forward in the next few years, I see Evans being a top 5 receiver. The dude is a physical freak, knows how to get open and uses his body/size to his advantage. Winston knows this too and will continue feeding him the ball. I could see is drafting a WR in a high round over the next year or two and that may take some targets away from Evans, but either way, I think he will be the WR1 here for a long time and get more than his fair share of targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winston's alleged slump is not hurting Evans, who is on pace for 104-1,440-12.  Plus, he doesn't have to face the Broncos again, and he faces the Saints twice still. 

Anddddddd now we're through the toughest part of the schedule. Even in this stretch, he was above 13 points (standard scoring) in all but 1 game. 

Take a look at the next 4 matchups after the bye and then the playoff schedule.  :thumbup:

Got him in my local leagues in the third round three times. Dint like him high second in my 12 team online leagues. Wish I had more...but I'm glad I have him where I have him. One league is a keep one and I have Beckham. Have to really think about next year...

If he had a capable QB, he'd be #1 WR this year so far. I'm thinking about going after him in my other league I dont own him, offering Hopkins. 

packer_junkie said:
Just messing with ya big guy...

Evans is gross. That stutter-go last night was Moss like. Jameis missed him on a 50 yarder in the 3rd quarter too. 
Yeah, that was a brutally bad throw.

packer_junkie said:
Just messing with ya big guy...

Evans is gross. That stutter-go last night was Moss like. Jameis missed him on a 50 yarder in the 3rd quarter too. 
That missed pass broke my damn heart. But again, Jameis barely one year in. This is trending nowhere but upwards. 

SCT said:
I can get him for obj and am real close to pulling trigger. Dynasty ppr
Your call. 1a and 1b to me... So Id take the guy I like more w the better situation ...  Which to me, is Evans.  

But ball is clearly in your court. 

Yeah, that was a brutally bad throw.
Missed him on two deep throws. There was another one earlier in the game where Evans had the coverage beat but Winston's throw was late and behind and allowed the DBs to converge. Evans did have the early drop but there was about 200 receiving yards on the field last night he could've had with a more accurate QB under center. Carolina has major issues in the secondary but Winston just couldn't exploit them at all other than a few throws. 

Missed him on two deep throws. There was another one earlier in the game where Evans had the coverage beat but Winston's throw was late and behind and allowed the DBs to converge. Evans did have the early drop but there was about 200 receiving yards on the field last night he could've had with a more accurate QB under center. Carolina has major issues in the secondary but Winston just couldn't exploit them at all other than a few throws. 
Yep, Winston wasn't accurate last night which left some plays on the field for Mike. It also didn't help that the pass protection was pretty bad throughout most of the night, which made it hard for them to run long developing plays often. 

In redraft, ppr or not, I only have AB, Julio and Green as WR's i'd prefer and i'm not even 100% sure I prefer them. Definitely Brown but Julio and Green have monster games followed by duds a little too often for comfort. Evans seems to be very consistent and has just missed a couple of monster games due to Jameis' inconsistencies. One of the steals of redrafts this year, a 3rd round price tag for a first round talent.

I don't know if a better QB would help as he wouldn't be getting quite as many targets.  The additional accuracy would be offset by fewer opportunities.

Still, this is one guy I wasn't high on, but drafted due to FBGs rankings and am REALLY glad I did.  He's been a stud so far.

8-96-2 today (Winston 21/30-269-3)

40-545-6 through six games, prorates to 107-1,453-16.

And he's only 23. If he were to add that receiving yardage total to the 1,051 of his 2014 rookie season and 1,206 last year = 3,710.

A comp that comes to mind for me is A.J. Green, who set the combined reception record in his first three seasons (to be broken by Jarvis Landry this year?), and had a combined receiving yardage total of 1,057 - '11 + 1,350 - '12 + 1,426 - '13 = 3,833 plus 29 TDs. Evans has 21 TDs, so would need 8 more in the remaining 10 games to tie Green in the scoring category.

Evans and Randy Moss are the only two WRs in NFL history to bank two 1,000 yard receiving seasons by 22 years of age.

In the same first three season time frame for Moss, he had a combined receiving yard total of 1,313 - '98 + 1,413 - '99 + 1,437 '00 = 4,163 plus a ridiculous 43 TDs.

Evans is pretty good, and it is early, but health permitting and if he develops further (didn't play much as a prep, just two years at Texas A&M, only two complete seasons in the NFL), could be on a Hall of Fame-type career arc and trajectory.

* Ages of other consensus top 5 dynasty/redraft WRs

Antonio Brown - 28

A.J. Green - 28

Julio Jones - 27

Odell Beckham - 24 (11/5/16)          

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad everyone was talking him down early last year. Got to buy him relativity cheap. Would take a lot to pry him out of my hands. 

Doubled every play and continues to produce.  Love the attitude adjustment this year too.  He looks great.  I wish the front office would have invested in another real weapon to compliment him.  Should be coming early in the 2017 draft.

He had a TD go through his hands during one point in the game (wasn't a simple catch, but one he still should have had) but then came right back with a big 3rd down conversion on the next play and capped the drive off with a TD. Dude is such a stud.

Users who are viewing this thread