What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

draft or FA.  anyone is better than who would start this year.
Anyone specific? A lot of people make these general statements acting like they’re going to get a major find in Fa or the draft. Is it realistic for Washington to be that much better a year from now at QB? If so, who are they going to get? Winston? Cam? Dak? Trevor?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 3 really good QB prospects in draft (Lawrence, Fields, Lance).  I would be excited about any of them.  I also would love Dak in FA. Probably some more options, but thats off the top of my head.

Mike Evans caught 1-of-2 targets for 10 yards in Tampa Bay's Week 6 win over the Packers.

Some of the blame can be attributed to Jaire Alexander's lockdown coverage, but the fact of the matter is Evans has now seen a 9.9% target share in three games with Chris Godwin (5/48) and a 22% target share in three starts without. Currently living off six touchdowns on 37 targets this year, Evans is a sell-high candidate since Justin Watson, Tyler Johnson and Godwin are all presumably healthy and available for the team's stretch run. Evans will rank as a WR2 in Week 7 against the Raiders.

Oct 18, 2020, 7:36 PM ET

How dinged up is Evans?

Feel like the days of Winston bombing away to Evans are over. Brady spreads it around, they have a great D, and will probably run the ball more as well.

Upcoming schedule all sub par per SOS: @LV, @NYG (Bradberry), NO (Lattimore), @CAR, LAR (Ramsey), KC.

kyoun1e said:
How dinged up is Evans?

Feel like the days of Winston bombing away to Evans are over. Brady spreads it around, they have a great D, and will probably run the ball more as well.

Upcoming schedule all sub par per SOS: @LV, @NYG (Bradberry), NO (Lattimore), @CAR, LAR (Ramsey), KC.
This.  Brady isn't forcing it to him the way Winston was, and with game scripts that lean toward clock management in the second half he isn't getting the "garbage time comeback from two scores down" volume.

This.  Brady isn't forcing it to him the way Winston was, and with game scripts that lean toward clock management in the second half he isn't getting the "garbage time comeback from two scores down" volume.
I have a trade offer in where I'd get Evans and I'd give James Robinson.

And I'm finding myself hesitant.

I have a trade offer in where I'd get Evans and I'd give James Robinson.

And I'm finding myself hesitant.
Anyone think this is a no brainer accept for Evans?

I'm 4-2.

Bonus: The guy I'm trading with is someone who I play in two weeks...when Robinson is on bye.

He's got piles of TD's and the game scripts will come his way.......he's a strong hold in my mind, unless he can't stay on the field.....but I play in TD heavy leagues

Lol. Godwin finger fracture not even enough to wake up depressed Mike Evans owners.

The splits are there for Evans -- with Godwin in the lineup vs. without.

Still has Bradberry to deal with I'd think although he does move into the slot.

Evans isn't at 100% and hasn't been the entire season. Arians said he's at 80% right now. 

The concern is he's unhealthy the entire season and is completely TD dependent. 

Teams are still doubling him a lot, that might change which would open it up more for Evans. 

Also, Evans won't play in the slot. They tried that, he's not good at it. He doesn't have the skillset. Evans, as good as he is, isn't a versatile WR. He's a big bodied, get vertical type, he's not a crisp route runner.

Lol. Godwin finger fracture not even enough to wake up depressed Mike Evans owners.

The splits are there for Evans -- with Godwin in the lineup vs. without.

Still has Bradberry to deal with I'd think although he does move into the slot.
Tough to know what to expect, the Godwin splits are a positive, but his history against Bradbury is awful. 

My gut says WR2 numbers, but my brain says another 2-3 catch day. I could certainly see a scenario where Tampa just runs 40+ times, because its hard to see the Giants offense doing much of anything against the Bucs D. 

Not expecting much slot work, especially as Gronk has gotten going a bit. Could see Gronk leading the team in receiving yet again. I own Evans in 1 league, and I'm looking to for reasons not to use him.

Tough matchups

Buccaneers' Mike Evans vs. Giants' James Bradberry (shadow)

During his four seasons in Carolina, Bradberry racked up 2,080 coverage snaps. A ridiculous 201 (or 9.7%) of those plays came while lined up against Evans. On those snaps, Evans caught 30 of 61 targets for 387 yards and one touchdown. Four of the targets were intercepted. Bradberry shadowed Evans in seven of the eight games (exception was the first meeting between the two during Bradberry's rookie season in 2016), and Evans averaged 12.2 fantasy points per game in the seven showdowns. His only touchdown came in 2016, and he averaged 64.7 yards per game despite a massive 9.9 targets per game.

Needless to say, Bradberry has had Evans' number. These two figure to face off again this week, considering their history and the fact that Bradberry has shadowed the likes of Allen Robinson II, Kendrick Bourne, DeSean Jackson, Amari Cooper and Dontrelle Inman/Terry McLaurin on their perimeter routes this season. Whereas Bradberry has been terrific this season, Evans has not (88 yards on 12 targets over his past three games), so this matchup isn't quite as intriguing as it was in years past.

Additionally, Evans has aligned in the slot more recently, and with Chris Godwin out, he may escape inside and dodge Bradberry more often than usual. Still, we'll need to downgrade Tampa Bay's top perimeter receiver and perhaps take a flier on Scotty Miller on the other side against Ryan Lewis in the last game before Antonio Brown's arrival.

In the past Arians/Leftwich have made it a point to feed Evans following a down game.  With Godwin out he could see even more targets.  That being said, Brady will not force it to him if he is not getting open. 

In the past Arians/Leftwich have made it a point to feed Evans following a down game.  With Godwin out he could see even more targets.  That being said, Brady will not force it to him if he is not getting open. 
Will be watching practice reports. Arians said Evans is like 80%. 

If he moves from limited to full practices I'd be more confident he can avoid Bradberry and produce.

Will be watching practice reports. Arians said Evans is like 80%. 

If he moves from limited to full practices I'd be more confident he can avoid Bradberry and produce.
I don't get it. Evans isn't even listed on the injury report this week yet everyone keeps saying how hurt he is.

Evans has been banged up for sure, but he is one week healthier now I would assume. Still, I'm finally activating Gaskins off taxi and going to bench Evans in a flex.

Watching Evans carefully tonight.

Bradberry or not, if he doesn't produce this week, minus Godwin and an incoming AB, I'll be in full panic/sell low mode.

I benched him in one league for Gaskins, and I won. Super curious if I would have with Evans instead. Would have needed 10 PPR. Should be a slam dunk.

Watching Evans carefully tonight.

Bradberry or not, if he doesn't produce this week, minus Godwin and an incoming AB, I'll be in full panic/sell low mode.
Given that they don't utilize him at all, why wouldn't Tampa trade him to another team in the offseason?   He's worth more than 3 targets/game to some NFL team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say his...he's not hurt.

He just blew by Bradberry (who then made a great play on the ball). 

Would have been nice for Brady and Evans to hook up on that one.

Bucs seem like they are looking past the Giants and looking forward to the Saints.

Also the Giants don’t seem to be terrible tonight

Evans has been hurt all year it seems, doesn't look like himself and also was the "Star" going back a couple seasons, now he is just another guy in this offense it seems. 

2018-1524

2019-1157 or about 375 yds less? 

And this year he is battling injuries and the numbers have been dropping and yeah AB is going to get all those Mickens targets next week you can be sure and Brady was probably begging them to try and sign him. 

He has been open numerous time on underneath routes but the ball went elsewhere. 

On two deep shots there was a bad snap/rushed throw by Brady and the under throw when he had Bradberry deep. Very frustrating. 

He has been open numerous time on underneath routes but the ball went elsewhere. 

On two deep shots there was a bad snap/rushed throw by Brady and the under throw when he had Bradberry deep. Very frustrating. 
It was especially frustrating on the underthrow.....as the announcers completely ignored how bad of a throw it was.  No mention of it.  Zero.  

Mike Evans caught 5-of-7 targets for 55 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Week 8 win over the Giants.

After scoring six times in the opening five weeks, Evans' eight-yard score over the top of CB James Bradberry in the third quarter snapped a two-game drought. He beat CB James Bradberry on the fade, and Tom Brady put the ball only where Evans could get it. Evans' yards haven't been there this year, but he's been one of the premier red-zone dominators in the scoring area with Brady. With Antonio Brown and Chris Godwin debuting and coming back, respectively, in the very near future, Evans faces even more competition for targets, but he and Rob Gronkowski should remain Brady's favorite red-zone targets. Evans will be more of a boom-bust WR2 next week against the Saints.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:32 PM ET

Evans has been hurt all year it seems, doesn't look like himself and also was the "Star" going back a couple seasons, now he is just another guy in this offense it seems. 

2018-1524

And this year he is battling injuries and the numbers have been dropping and yeah AB is going to get all those Mickens targets next week you can be sure and Brady was probably begging them to try and sign him. 
He's not hurt. Looked fine last night, got deep on Bradberry who if he didn't make a great play would have had a deep one to Evans.

Looked great on the fade from Brady.

He's alive and healthy at least.

Not sure I can start him unless Godwin is out this week. And I'd think Lattimore takes him, but that hasn't meant much this year. NO secondary has been a plus matchup for QBs and WRs this year. 

why does the League Dominator have him out for 7 of the remaining games?  His projection is only 7 pts for the rest of year... What am I missing?

It even says "This player has a bye week (week 13) still to come; however we expect him to miss 7 games over the rest of the season. Check the Year tab for more information."

kyoun1e said:
He's not hurt. Looked fine last night, got deep on Bradberry who if he didn't make a great play would have had a deep one to Evans.

Looked great on the fade from Brady.
He beat Bradberry handily twice.  Once Brady under-threw Evans significantly (which the announcers also called “a great play by Bradberry”, when really it was a crap throw), the other Brady was under extreme pressure and couldn’t hit a wide open Evans for a TD.

Could have easily been a 150-yard Evans game. Brady simply didn’t get it done for Evans.

why does the League Dominator have him out for 7 of the remaining games?  His projection is only 7 pts for the rest of year... What am I missing?

It even says "This player has a bye week (week 13) still to come; however we expect him to miss 7 games over the rest of the season. Check the Year tab for more information."
Maybe that explains his FBG "rest of season" projection as well.  In my scoring system, FBG has him as the #87 WR for the rest of the season, nestled comfortably between Devin Duvernay and Jakobi Meyers.  If they want to project a dip in production with the arrival of Brown and Godwin eventually coming back, fine, but this may be taking it a little too far.

2018-1524

He missed the final three games of 2019 due to a serious hamstring injury

Anyone else petrified of the double whammy that is:

1. AB entering the fray, and

2. The matchup with Lattimore (that Evans loses).

I fear a 3-18-0 egg being laid. Brady will just shy away from that matchup I'd think maybe pepper AB underneath along with Gronk/Miller/Godwin (if healthy).

Field Yates@FieldYates

Mike Evans when covered by Marshon Lattimore over the last two seasons, via

@MikeClayNFL

: 54 snaps, 4 targets, 0 catches.

The two meet again on Sunday night

Field Yates@FieldYates

@MikeClayNFL

How will the inclusion of AB change this picture?  Will Lattimore continue to cover Evans, or will he rotate over to AB?

How will the inclusion of AB change this picture?  Will Lattimore continue to cover Evans, or will he rotate over to AB?
Brown was reinstated Tuesday.

He's 32 and hasn't practiced in a year.

He's scheduled for 10 to 35 snaps.

Chris Godwin is unable to return after undergoing finger surgery.

For this week the matchup is the thing to concentrate on and we 'should' get a good read on how AB will be used going forward but expect 'limited' snaps for him Sunday.

Field Yates@FieldYates

@MikeClayNFL

I'm having a hard time seeing why this would change.

Which is why I find all the "expert" rankings befuddling. 

Even S. Bloom whose analysis I value greatly has Evans projected for over 15 PPR points. That would seem to be his ceiling understanding Lattimore, AB's presence, and maybe even Godwin playing.

Don't get it.

Brown was reinstated Tuesday.

He's 32 and hasn't practiced in a year.

He's scheduled for 10 to 35 snaps.

Chris Godwin is unable to return after undergoing finger surgery.

For this week the matchup is the thing to concentrate on and we 'should' get a good read on how AB will be used going forward but expect 'limited' snaps for him Sunday.
I could easily see if AB starts dominating targets and gets a few quick catches, then Lattimore could switch over. But I do fully expect Evans to be covered by Lattimore most of the game.

I could easily see if AB starts dominating targets and gets a few quick catches, then Lattimore could switch over. But I do fully expect Evans to be covered by Lattimore most of the game.
Does anyone know what NO's tendency is in this regard? I watched Arizona shut down Metcalf a couple weeks ago, content to let Lockett catch what felt like 30 balls. There didn't appear to be any adjustments to that.

Does anyone know what NO's tendency is in this regard? I watched Arizona shut down Metcalf a couple weeks ago, content to let Lockett catch what felt like 30 balls. There didn't appear to be any adjustments to that.
Their tendency is to stink against WRs outside of Lattimore covering Evans.

So we should play Godwin, Miller, and AB - if we have them?  Got it.
The data says they are a good matchup for WRs this year. 

Lattimore is still a tough draw. He's dropped off a bit this year, but I'm still not confident about Evans.

I also have AB and am thinking seriously about playing him over Evans. If I owned Godwin...would depend on pre game reports. I'd think S. Miller is the odd man out if AB is in.

The data says they are a good matchup for WRs this year. 

Lattimore is still a tough draw. He's dropped off a bit this year, but I'm still not confident about Evans.

I also have AB and am thinking seriously about playing him over Evans. If I owned Godwin...would depend on pre game reports. I'd think S. Miller is the odd man out if AB is in.
I have both Evans & Godwin. I'm leaning Godwin over Evans based on Evans' history against Lattimore. 

Users who are viewing this thread