What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brewers Thread - Choo Choo All Aboard the Jackson Chourio Hype Train (1 Viewer)

They've scored 2-3 runs a game since the all-star break and Counsell keeps rolling out the same lineup it seems.

The other night they had runners on 1st and 2nd tied 1-1 in the 9th inning with nobody out. Is it just me or does that scream for a sacrifice bunt? Especially for a team that is struggling to score runs. Counsell has them swing away, right into a double play.

Brewers are 8 games better than they were a year ago at this time.  

Also, a year ago, Pittsburgh was 61-56 but a distant third at this stage.  Today, the Cardinals sport the same record and are tied for first place.  Division is up for grabs.

Eephus said:
Where there's life, there's hope.
At this point I kind of hope they don't make it. They'd be limping in, with basically only 2 starting pitchers who they would likely have to burn on short rest in a play-in game to another play-in game to get to LA, barring a Brewers and Dodgers sweep. It was a run, and quite fun while it lasted. Rest up, get healthy, and get ready for February.

At this point I kind of hope they don't make it. They'd be limping in, with basically only 2 starting pitchers who they would likely have to burn on short rest in a play-in game to another play-in game to get to LA, barring a Brewers and Dodgers sweep. It was a run, and quite fun while it lasted. Rest up, get healthy, and get ready for February.
That's the spirit :rolleyes:

To be fair, I said "kind of hope"

I'll be watching and rooting this weekend and certainly will continue to do so if they play game 163 and beyond.
We have tickets for the Giants game tonight and I was considering wearing my Brewers cap but then I remembered I hate it when people wear gear for a team that's not playing.  So I'll just have a beer in support of the Crew.

I spend my life limping. It's not so bad 

Yeah good point. Cause that 3 extra days rest will make all the difference between now and the start of training camp in February

We have tickets for the Giants game tonight and I was considering wearing my Brewers cap but then I remembered I hate it when people wear gear for a team that's not playing.  So I'll just have a beer in support of the Crew.
If you really support them you'd have two

Welp, ####ting the bed on Saturday sure sucked the big one. You could point to that game as the end of it but the reality is there were a number of moments over the course of the season that contributed: Swept by the Reds in September. Swept by the Pirates in July (hell, most of July was awful). Braun regressing. Nelson and Anderson injuries. Failed Neftali Feliz experiment.  Etc etc.

But there's plenty to be excited about for 2018. I'll be curious to see if Attanasio keeps the payroll down and rolls with what he's got or if he gives Sterns a blank check (admittedly I haven't looked at any potential FAs).  Gotta think Braun didn't do much to help his trade value. Is Broxton expendable with the emergence of Phillips (and Brinson waiting in the wings as well)? Buh bye Garza. Swarzak was a nice pick up and he said he'd like to stay. Stretch Hader out again and start him? It should be a fun hot stove

At this point, I think you just have to assume three more years of Braun and hope for the best.  Pretty much every team has one bad contract; the trick is to avoid another one.

Based on payroll history, I can see them going up to the $100M level.   There are some arbitration eligible guys who will get raises which will consume most of the Garza savings.  The Nelson injury hurts because it may force them into the free agent market for SPs unless they're comfortable that a couple of Woodruff, Hader, Burnes, Suter, etc. will step up,

Stearns has done a great job getting the organization to where it is.  They're well positioned to be decent for the next couple of years but it's sometimes tougher to get over the second hump than the first.

Eephus said:
At this point, I think you just have to assume three more years of Braun and hope for the best.  Pretty much every team has one bad contract; the trick is to avoid another one.

Based on payroll history, I can see them going up to the $100M level.   There are some arbitration eligible guys who will get raises which will consume most of the Garza savings.  The Nelson injury hurts because it may force them into the free agent market for SPs unless they're comfortable that a couple of Woodruff, Hader, Burnes, Suter, etc. will step up,

Stearns has done a great job getting the organization to where it is.  They're well positioned to be decent for the next couple of years but it's sometimes tougher to get over the second hump than the first.
It looks like the entire team (save for Braun/Thames) is in arbitration or pre-arbitration next year. They were at what, $60M this year? That would be a huge jump with only $25M on the books so far. Or do you see them going after someone like Arrietta/Darvish? I suppose they could package one of the CF with some other pieces for pitching somehow. They're going to have to buy someone for the rotation if they want to make a run again next year.

With most other positions pretty much set, I guess the other big question is what do you do at 2B? Is Villar the 2016 version, the 2017 version, or somewhere in between? I liked the Neil Walker pick up but does he want to come back? Sogard? Either way they don't have to invest too much money there.

Also, TIL they're still paying $3M to Aramis Ramirez and $2.3M to Kyle Lohse in 2018

The Anderson deal buys his remaining arbitration years with an option on his first FA year.  If the club exercises both options, he'd be a FA for his age 34 season.

He's a guy that clearly knows how to pitch.  It's a nice piece of business if he stays healthy and can avoid falling off the aging curve between 30 and 33.

Sogard had a nice half season but he's still a UT :nerd:

If Villar settles in somewhere between 2016 and 2017 performance levels, he's a much more valuable player than Sogard.

Sogard had a nice half season but he's still a UT :nerd:

If Villar settles in somewhere between 2016 and 2017 performance levels, he's a much more valuable player than Sogard.
Looks like 1/$2.4M so it certainly isn't breaking the bank. His nice half was really a nice quarter. After his injury he kinda came back down to earth. I imagine it's going to be some sort of platoon/open competition between him and Villar unless they try to retain Walker or go get some other retread.

PS you catching the Bucks at MECCA tonight? It's a TNT game I think

Looks like 1/$2.4M so it certainly isn't breaking the bank. His nice half was really a nice quarter. After his injury he kinda came back down to earth. I imagine it's going to be some sort of platoon/open competition between him and Villar unless they try to retain Walker or go get some other retread.

PS you catching the Bucks at MECCA tonight? It's a TNT game I think
Looking forward to seeing the old court. 

I attended an event at the old Arena when my daughter graduated from MU.  It brought back some nice memories but I was amazed by how small it was.  It used to look so big.

They appear to have changed the MLB app so I can't watch the game while listening to Uecker's call on WTMJ.  Used to be able to last year. 

I tried both Roku and iPad.  Sucks big time.

They appear to have changed the MLB app so I can't watch the game while listening to Uecker's call on WTMJ.  Used to be able to last year. 

I tried both Roku and iPad.  Sucks big time.
You could just find an old guy, fill him up with booze, and have him tell you stories about the good old days while you watch the game.  

Users who are viewing this thread