What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Prospect Profile: Davante Adams

Ricky Henne

Managing Editor

Chargers.com

In order to familiarize fans with some of the top names in the 2014 NFL Draft, Chargers.com will be highlighting a different prospect each weekday leading up to the first day of the draft on May 8th.

We continue the series with a scouting report of Fresno State’s Davante Adams.

Name: Davante Adams
School: Fresno State
Height: 6-1
Weight: 212 pounds
Position: Wide Receiver

Teams that value productivity in college as a strong barometer of effectiveness in the NFL are sure to be enamored with wide receiver Davante Adams. Even though he played just two seasons at Fresno State, his productivity was through the roof.

After red shirting the 2011 season, Adams dominated when he burst onto the scene in 2012. He was the Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year, totaling 102 catches for 1,312 yards and 14 touchdowns. In the process he set conference freshman records for receptions and yards. Adams followed his sensational first year with a scintillating sophomore campaign, leading the entire nation in receptions (131) and receiving touchdowns (24), while setting the single-season school record for receiving yards with 1,718. Other marks he set include the Mountain West record for single season receptions and career touchdown catches (38), as well as the Fresno State record for career receptions (233).

At 6-1, 212-pounds, Adams possesses an ideal frame for a wideout. Most importantly, he is incredibly sure-handed rarely dropping the ball. Although he isn’t a sprinter, Adams has good speed which he uses to great effect with big play ability. He has also shown a willingness to mix it up, outmuscling defenders both with the ball and while running routes.

Adams’ detractors admit he had incredible productivity, but caution it came against questionable competition in the Mountain West. Still, with comparisons to James Jones and Michael Crabtree, Adams figures to be one of a number of wide receiver prospects to hear his name early during the Draft this May.

Combine Metrics
40-yard Dash: 4.56
Bench Press: 14 reps
Vertical Jump: 39.5 inches
Broad Jump: 123.0 inches
<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
CBS Sports and NFLDraftScout.com:

Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State

Player Overview

Adams caught 233 passes for more than 3,000 yards over the past two seasons, including leading the nation with 131 receptions in 2013, and opted to cash in on that success rather than return for his junior season with quarterback Derek Carr also moving on to the NFL.

Adams was extraordinarily productive during his two seasons at Fresno State, but scouts must weigh that against the fact it largely came against inferior competition while catching passes from one of the top quarterbacks in the nation.

Strengths & Weaknesses

STRENGTHS: Broad-shouldered and well-built wideout who consistently wins at the catch-point, demonstrating good leaping ability, timing and hand-eye coordination. Tracks the ball well over either shoulder and has strong hands to pluck the ball when turned towards the quarterback. Quickly corrals the pass and wastes no time in getting upfield, showing vision to set up blocks as well as strength to run through arm tackles and a nice stutter-step to elude.

Deceptive straight-line speed to challenge deep and shows good balance and overall body control to gain separation on comeback and out routes. Good strength and courage to take passes over the middle and isn't afraid of running through traffic. Alert blocker.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks the elite speed that his gaudy production indicates. Possesses normal acceleration and tops out quickly. Occasionally will allow the ball to swing away from his frame as he attempts to fight for extra yardage, which can result in forced fumbles.

Cognizant blocker downfield but isn't nearly as physical in this area as he is when fighting through would-be tacklers. Production was certainly inflated by Fresno State's spread offense and because he is the favorite target of highly regarded quarterback, Derek Carr.

Compares To: James Jones, Packers - Like the former San Jose State standout, Adams' eye-popping numbers have come against questionable competition. However, his similar build, deceptive vertical speed and strong hands at the catch-point should help Adams emerge as a big-play candidate in the NFL.

Daily draft dish: Adams posts crazy stats

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

With draft day (May 8) rapidly approaching, we'll whet your appetite with a daily factoid, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information. We'll keep it New York Jets-centric, sticking to team needs, possible selections, trends, etc.

One of the toughest positions for scouts to evaluate is wide receiver. Nowadays, they rack up video-game stats in college, leading to inflated evaluations by NFL types. That's why Fresno State's Davante Adams bears close scrutiny. Facing less-than-elite competition, he led the FBS in receptions (131), touchdown catches (24) and ranked second with 888 yards after the catch.

Utilizing his 39.5-inch vertical jump, the 6-1 Adams also led the FBS with 27 receptions and 12 touchdown catches in the red zone. Get this: When targeting Adams in the red zone, quarterback Derek Carr completed 71.1 percent of his passes, but only 57.4 percent when targeting others.

As everybody knows, the Jets are looking for a receiver. Adams is projected as a second-round pick.

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay ranks Fresno State WR Davante Adams as the No. 30 overall prospect.
"If Adams were just a little bit faster, he'd be several spots higher in this ranking," McShay writes. "Outside of elite speed, he has everything you look for in a receiver prospect, with really good hands, good size and strength, and good run-after-catch abilities." This places Adams over the likes of Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr., among others.

Source: ESPN

Jan 30 - 11:35 AM
Fresno State WR Davante Adams clocked an official 4.56 forty-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Adams' unofficial times came in at 4.50 and 4.54, a little disappointing for the diminutive wideout. Adams posted video game numbers with Derek Carr last year in Fresno, leading the nation in receptions (131), receiving yards (1,718) and receiving touchdowns (24). He received a third-round grade from the NFL draft advisory board, but he's going to go higher than that. We're thinking second.

Feb 23 - 4:27 PM
The Panthers are working out Fresno State WR Davante Adams for a second time, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
"I’m told the top two receiver targets for the Panthers are Brandin Cooks of Oregon State and Marqise Lee of USC," Pauline added. Adams has also visited the Falcons, Lions and Chargers, as well as being worked out by the Titans. He should be a second-round pick.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Detroit Lions 2014 NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Davante AdamsDarin Ackerman

Excerpt:

The SideLion Report NFL Draft Prospect Profile series gives an in-depth scouting analysis of college football players who could be on the Lions’ radar this spring.

Over the last several weeks, we’ve examined numerous first round candidates for the Lions. As we inch closer to the draft, SideLion Report will highlight prospects the franchise may be looking at in the second round.

It’s no secret the Lions’ are enamored with the thought of adding elite prospect Sammy Watkins to the offense, and there are strong opinions on both sides regarding whether or not they should pay the price necessary to do so. What does not seem up for debate is that the Lions will look to add another receiver early in the draft. One such possibility, as suggested in Todd McShay’s most recent mock draft, is Fresno State’s Davante Adams.

After viewing three games (Boise State, Utah State, USC) I gave Adams a 6.8 grade (mid second round).

Davante Adams – WR – Fresno State

Height: 6007 Weight: 212 40 Time: 4.56

NFL Comparison: DeAndre Hopkins

Strong Points:

Good height and weight. Uses size well to shield defenders. Physical – willing to lower shoulder and fight hard for YAC. Outstanding body control – can adjust to catch off target throws. Excellent vertical to highpoint the 50-50 ball down field. Possesses natural run instincts – works well off blocks and can make defenders miss in space. Explosive – accelerates to top speed quickly off plant foot. Beats press with quick head/body fake and knows how to set up defenders. Reaches out and plucks ball away from his frame. Excellent college production

Weak Points:

Needs to get stronger – can be outmuscled by physical cornerbacks. Route running lacks crispness and needs refinement. Will allow some balls to get inside his frame. Has a tendency to turn and run before securing the catch. Double steps his release. Average to below average effort as a blocker.

Summary:

A good-sized, ultra-productive prospect, Adams possesses the necessary tools to start at the next level. However, there are certain aspects of his game that warrant development. Overall, he has very good hands, though will cradle catch on occasion and needs to be more consistent in terms of securing the ball before turning up field. Adams’ timed speed is average (4.56), but he showcases the ability on tape to stretch the field vertically and is at his best on Flag, Post and 9 routes where he can utilize his outstanding body control and vertical to win on jump balls. He exhibits the ability to consistently beat press with quick head/body fakes/jab steps, though he lacks sharpness into and out of his breaks and can struggle separating on underneath routes. Perhaps most impressive is his RAC ability in space – Adams showcases nice run instincts, utilizing vision, agility and balance to consistently make defenders miss. His effort as a blocker needs to be much more consistent. Mid second round, number two X receiver with starter tools and upside, but there are facets of his game that warrant improvement for him to realize his full potential.

I was down on Crabtree as a top 10 pick but Adams is going to at least a later and is nearly the same player. He's not quite a true #1 but he's going to be a great pick for someone in the 2nd round. It speaks to the depth of this class that he's not expected to go in the 1st.

BTW, don't be surprised if he's drafted by the 49ers and they let Crabtree walk next year.

Perfect example of the depth of WR in this class. Might be a borderline 1st rounder in a different year. Could make it to the 3rd round in this one.

I like him a lot but I also feel he benefited greatly from playing with Derek Carr. Would make a great Panther.

Rotoworld:

Fresno State WR Davante Adams had the biggest fall -- seven slots, from No. 42 to 49 -- in Daniel Jeremiah's newest rankings.
Adams was one of college football's best receivers last year, pairing with Derek Carr to produce 131 receptions, 1,718 yards, and 24 TDs. Adams (6-foot-2, 212 pounds) has good size and a large catch radius, and most believe he'll continue to be extremely dangerous in the red zone because of his ability to bring balls down in contested situations. There are questions, however. Fresno State's offensive scheme doesn't ask receivers to run the entire route tree. Also, Adams isn't explosive, which is the reason he's not going in the first round. He's got a good shot of going in Round 2, however.

Source: NFL.com

I wish Rotoworld would adjust their listed heights.

Adams measured 6-0 7/8 at the combine, but they are still listing him as 6-2.

I think Carr benefited from him more than the other way around.
Agreed and I said as much in another thread... Which I thought was the Adams thread but clearly wasn't. Adams makes great adjustments to the ball and makes it look easy and that gives the impression that the passes are more accurate than they really were. I do like Carr, don't get me wrong. I just don't think for a second that Adams was a product of Carr.

Where would you select Adams (highest possible pick) in the upcoming rookie draft in a Dynasty league?
Tough to say right now. I've got him as my 5th WR in the draft and see him as a late 1st or early 2nd talent. I'm not sure if he will go there. Maybe NFL teams doesn't like him as much as I do and he's drafted in the 3rd. That would be a problem for me. I don't really do predraft rankings per say. I rank the prospects from a talent standpoint as part of my own prognostication of where I think they should be drafted but once the real draft happens I use it to solidify my rankings. I'm not going to abandon a player I like or vault one I don't like into the top, but it does impact my thought process. Long story short, I have him as the 5th best WR so I'd imagine that would rank him around 8-10.

Where would you select Adams (highest possible pick) in the upcoming rookie draft in a Dynasty league?
Tough to say right now. I've got him as my 5th WR in the draft and see him as a late 1st or early 2nd talent. I'm not sure if he will go there. Maybe NFL teams doesn't like him as much as I do and he's drafted in the 3rd. That would be a problem for me. I don't really do predraft rankings per say. I rank the prospects from a talent standpoint as part of my own prognostication of where I think they should be drafted but once the real draft happens I use it to solidify my rankings. I'm not going to abandon a player I like or vault one I don't like into the top, but it does impact my thought process.Long story short, I have him as the 5th best WR so I'd imagine that would rank him around 8-10.
thanks for your input - I really like him as well - don't know If he's worth a late 1st though.

I'm hoping the Panthers take him at 1.28 unless there is a clear value at OT or CB. But there's no telling where teams have that group of WRs after Watkins, Evans and Beckham ranked.

If Adams does go to Carolina, New Orleans or a similarly good situation I wonder if he could push up to #4 in rookie drafts behind the top 3 guys. Several people on the board, especially jurb, have drawn my attention to him and I really like the kid, not only from a physical standpoint but also because he played in a pro style offense.

I'm hoping the Panthers take him at 1.28 unless there is a clear value at OT or CB. But there's no telling where teams have that group of WRs after Watkins, Evans and Beckham ranked.

If Adams does go to Carolina, New Orleans or a similarly good situation I wonder if he could push up to #4 in rookie drafts behind the top 3 guys. Several people on the board, especially jurb, have drawn my attention to him and I really like the kid, not only from a physical standpoint but also because he played in a pro style offense.
I definitely think Adams is good enough to be a 1st round pick. If he was drafted to those situations I can also see him being ranked 4th or even 3rd out of the rookie WRs.

Right now I have him in the top tier of players.

WR Sammy Watkins

WR Mike Evans

------------------------- Not neccessarily a higher tier but these 2 players seem to be ahead of the rest near unanimously.

RB Bishop Sankey

WR Marqise Lee

RB Carlos Hyde

WR Odell Beckham Jr.

WR Brandin Cooks

TE Eric Ebron

WR Jordan Matthews

WR Davonte Adams

I think all of these players have a good chance to be considered the 3rd best player overall if drafted to a good situation and will likely be highly valued even if they are not. The RB could fall out of the tier if drafted to a really bad situation (like MN).

The next WR on my list is Kelvin Benjamin who I consider to be more of a risk than the WR above so that is what separates him and the other WR from this top group who I think will be productive players in FF as either a WR 1 or a WR 2 on a good passing team.

I agree and I'd include Robinson and Bell in that group. It's going to be interesting to re-calibrate rankings tomorrow night if 4 or 5 of these top players are picked. :thumbup:

I think that the Panthers would not be a good fit for him - I prefer him to go to a team with a more accurate QB.

When you watch the tape you can see that Adams is the one that makes Carr. Carr just throws it up for grabs.
This is only half the story. Carr eventually learned/was coached to at times throw it up to Adams if it was 1-on-1. You see that in the clip.

Yet you can see other clips with Carrs pinpoint passing allowing Adams (and others) to rock the YAC and get TDs.

That's like knocking Steve Young for throwing it up to Terrell Owens. (Not saying either is that good, however) Eventually its simply a good play call.

Rotoworld:

Packers selected Fresno State WR Davante Adams with the No. 53 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Adams (6-foot 7/8, 212) left school after his redshirt sophomore year, when he led the nation in receptions (131) and touchdown catches (24) as Derek Carr's go-to receiver. Despite lacking elite long speed (4.54), Adams is a plus athlete (39.5-inch vertical) with high-pointing ability in traffic. He's drawn Michael Crabtree and Keenan Allen comparisons as a possession target with top-notch ball skills who excels after the catch. Football analytics suggest younger prospects offer higher NFL ceilings, and Adams won't turn 22 until late December. Adams' landing spot doesn't appear perfect on paper due to Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Jarrett Boykin's presence, but he's good enough to ascend. Adams should be on Dynasty league radars in the second and third rounds of rookie drafts.

Green Bay Packers add Davante Adams at No. 53

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

The Green Bay Packers are restocking Aaron Rodgers' weapons after losing Jermichael Finley, James Jones and Greg Jennings over the past two years.

The Packers selected Fresno State wide receiver Davante Adams with the No. 53 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Hauling in passes from Derek Carr, Adams led the nation in receptions (131) and touchdown catches (24) as a redshirt sophomore in 2013. He possesses good size at 6-foot-1 and 212 pounds, but offers underwhelming speed.

Michael Crabtree (41) is the only player with more receiving touchdowns in a two-year span during the Bowl Championship Series era.

Adams profiles as a poor man's Anquan Boldin, which makes him the perfect replacement for James Jones, who similarly was billed for his size, leaping ability and run-after-catch skills entering the league.

If Ted Thompson's record is any indication, Adams will be a steal. The Packers' previous three second-round receivers were Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings.

Coach Mike McCarthy is sky-high on No. 3 receiver Jarrett Boykin, which means Adams can be eased into the offense as a rookie. The man Adams will now be catching balls from is pleased.

Aaron Rodgers @AaronRodgers12 Follow

Love it.

6:55 PM - 9 May 2014

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

I am admittedly a huge Davante Adams fan but is this guy flying under the radar or what! Mad production in college, elite metrics, soft hands, incredible high pointer and top 3 QB. Plus the Pack have proven to hit on many of their WR draft picks. So why was this thread on page 5?

I am admittedly a huge Davante Adams fan but is this guy flying under the radar or what! Mad production in college, elite metrics, soft hands, incredible high pointer and top 3 QB. Plus the Pack have proven to hit on many of their WR draft picks. So why was this thread on page 5?
He's not under the radar in my leagues. Just went 1.10 and 1.14.

took him at 1.12. felt comfortable with him at that spot.

I have him behind evans/watkins and on par with beckham and cook

I got him as the 7th wr in my rookie draft so its hard to not like him there

He does seem to be flying under the radar a bit though. Virtually no discussion about him on FBGs.

Nothing is ever a sure thing in the NFL draft, but this guy just screams a safe bet to me.

-He'll likely be catching passes from Aaron Rodgers for a good part of his career.

-Highly prolific in college, showing very good high point skills and ridiculous one handed catches.

-The Packers have been fantastic at picking WRs in the 2nd round. (Jennings, Nelson, Cobb)

-Those WRs have all turned into WR1 or borderline WR1 value.

I'd agree that the upside of Watkins and Evans is higher. After that though, I think you really need to take a long hard look at Adams. IMO there's a good chance that in a year or two he will be viewed in much the same way that we currently view Cobb/Nelson.

He does seem to be flying under the radar a bit though. Virtually no discussion about him on FBGs.

Nothing is ever a sure thing in the NFL draft, but this guy just screams a safe bet to me.

-He'll likely be catching passes from Aaron Rodgers for a good part of his career.

-Highly prolific in college, showing very good high point skills and ridiculous one handed catches.

-The Packers have been fantastic at picking WRs in the 2nd round. (Jennings, Nelson, Cobb)

-Those WRs have all turned into WR1 or borderline WR1 value.

I'd agree that the upside of Watkins and Evans is higher. After that though, I think you really need to take a long hard look at Adams. IMO there's a good chance that in a year or two he will be viewed in much the same way that we currently view Cobb/Nelson.
I've got rookie pick 6 in my upcoming draft, and am debating taking him that highly if Carlos Hyde is gone (which is very likely going to be the case)

Contractually, they've got a decision to make on Cobb and Nelson, and the writing may be on the wall that Jordy may not be back next year, in which case they have prepared themselves to extend Randall Cobb's contract and have Adams step in as the #2 as early as next year. I know it's speculating, but, it's not out of the realm of possibility with a team that has to make a few tough choices due to their salary cap situation.

I love the idea of getting Adams and/or Latimer at the bottom of rd 1, especially if you're picking there with an already-solid dynasty squad (assuming it's not a pick gained by trade) and can wait the one or two seasons for the pick to really pay off.

The nice thing with Adams is you have Rodgers with more years left than Manning.

Mike Evans and Adams compare quite favorably in a lot of ways. The former has a little more top end, while the latter has lighter feet and greater flexibility. Both will make excellent red-zone targets catching jump balls. They make acrobatic grabs over defensive backs look easy.

But I like Adams more as a player, as I see him having greater success doing possession receiver type stuff - after he learns how. Combine with the fact Adams gets Aaron Rodgers throwing him passes throughout his first contract, and it's a no-brainer - IMO anyhow. If I have the 1.02, I'm trading back all day.

Great year to draft at the back of the first, or to find a sucker willing to trade up.

Adams = slightly better Boykin
I guess we'll see, but Boykin isn't nearly the athlete that Adams is. Adams was better in just about every drill that matters to WRs.

Boykin 4.74, 36" vertical, 7.12 three cone

Adams 4.56, 39.5" vertical, 6.82 three cone

etc...

Boykin could start for probably 10 NFL teams. Heck he looks really good.
I count three.

He might start for St Louis, Carolina, or Cleveland - which says more about the Rams, Panthers, and Browns than it says about Boykin.

Boykin plays a role, give him credit. But he doesn't create opportunities for himself or anything special.

Adams = slightly better Boykin
I guess we'll see, but Boykin isn't nearly the athlete that Adams is. Adams was better in just about every drill that matters to WRs.

Boykin 4.74, 36" vertical, 7.12 three cone

Adams 4.56, 39.5" vertical, 6.82 three cone

etc...
Boykin had a bad combine, it happens.

However, Boykin ran a 4.57 at his Pro Day, Adams ran 4.51 at his.

Here are the other notable performers from Virginia Tech’s pro day:

Jarrett Boykin, WR (6-2, 212) — Boykin ran 4.57 and 4.58 in the 40, had a 34-inch vertical jump and 11-foot broad jump, a 4.31 short shuttle and a 6.63 three-cone, which was very good. Boykin did a good job in his position workout.

Users who are viewing this thread