What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which owner should be stripped of his team? (1 Viewer)

Which owner deserves the boot most?

• Donald Sterling-Los Angeles Clippers

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • Jim Irsay-Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Jeffrey Loria-Miami Marlins

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Jerry Jones-Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Someone else to be discussed below

Votes: 11 10.5%

• Total voters

Mr Non Sequitur

Footballguy
Donald Sterling made some very racist remarks that have every player in the league questioning what should be done to him. Certainly it was outrageous what he said but has he actually broken any laws? Even if he hasn't, likely time to take the team from him. Every time they get it turned around he screws things up as best he can.

Enter Jim Irsay who was caught with a bundle of cash and lots of prescription drugs all stuffed in a laundry sack driving a car that seemed to not belong to him and was conspicuously inconspicuous. A woman with ties to Irsay and a known history of drug abuse died two weeks before Irsay's arrest on a drug overdose, the body found in a townhouse Irsay gave her to live in last August.

Jeffrey Loria should never not be mentioned on a list like this. Loria is a scheister who fleeced the city of Miami and Dade County to kick in and build him a stadium based on a competitive product being put on the field...oops.

The Dallas Cowboys will continue to be a joke until Jerry Jones removes himself as the GM over this team. No one would ever be able to keep a GM job as long as Jerry with this track record. The man is delusional and has an ego bigger than anyone on the planet. His interview with Charlie Rose a couple years ago was very eye opening to just how far gone he really is.

If you have another please list them and reasoning why, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loria is probably the one that i would consider, because i think that he genuinely hurts the competitive balance of the game. The rest, I don't know how much they really damage the game.

Jerry. I love him there for the middling teams he produces but if I was a Cowboy fan at this point Id be pissed he was still allowing himself to be gm.

Dan Snyder is only about a decade behind Jerry Jones, only he lacks any parallel to the Jimmy Johnson era. And if possible, he's even more of a ##### on a personal level.

Add him.

Heard today that Sterling bought the Clippers for 12 million in 1981. Right now if he is forced to sell the team it will be in the 700 million area. Not a bad return.

Heard today that Sterling bought the Clippers for 12 million in 1981. Right now if he is forced to sell the team it will be in the 700 million area. Not a bad return.
Yeah. Forcing him to sell the team is a real punishment."We'll show that jerk, we'll make him even RICHER!"

Yeah. Forcing him to sell the team is a real punishment."We'll show that jerk, we'll make him even RICHER!"
He's rich even without the Clippers. He owns a crapload of real estate, which is where he made his money after he began as a practicing lawyer.

No owners should have their teams taken from them.

This isn't nationalized or community property. They bought the team and own it. To take it from them is what some folks like to call stealing. To make them sell is likely illegal as well.

He would get over a billion for the clippers.
No
The horrible Bucks with no arena in no market just got 550M. The Clippers have an amazing arena in the #1 or 2 market and a currently hot roster. They might not get a billion but it'll be closer to that than 700 IMO.

No
You don't understand the economics of this very well. I don't mean to sound rude. But the two guys in Seattle would give him a billion cash tomorrow and think they got a good deal.

No
You don't understand the economics of this very well. I don't mean to sound rude. But the two guys in Seattle would give him a billion cash tomorrow and think they got a good deal.
And be known as the guys to made the rich racist richer? This racist is getting pennies on the dollar for his squad!

No
I don't mean to sound rude either, but when it comes to the value of professional sport franchises, I'll side with the folks at Forbes instead of Blog Boy

No
The horrible Bucks with no arena in no market just got 550M. The Clippers have an amazing arena in the #1 or 2 market and a currently hot roster. They might not get a billion but it'll be closer to that than 700 IMO.
Wouldn't blink at $750, but the arena isn't theirs. Big stickler when it comes to what the value of the franchise is.

No
I don't mean to sound rude either, but when it comes to the value of professional sport franchises, I'll side with the folks at Forbes instead of Blog Boy
Well Forbes was wrong. They valued Milwaukee at 405M just 3 months ago.

No
Well Forbes was wrong. They valued Milwaukee at 405M just 3 months ago.
Forbes will be wrong on the Clips too, I just don't think they'll be off by what it will take to get a billion.

And there are certainly other things that can come into play. Local TV contracts can make a huge difference in what someone's willing to drop on a franchise. What was the current TV contract, which was about to expire, was the only way the Dodgers went for $2b.

No
Somebody just shelled out $650M for the Milwaukee freakin' Bucks ($550M for the team, $100M towards the stadium). God knows what it could've sold for to a Seattle group.

I think he could get a billion for the Clips

Adam Silver gets an A+ in my book. I love the fact he crushed Sterling, banned for life. If you ever question how far a Commissioner can go then look no further because the bar has been set. It will be interesting to see how Goodell now handles an owner who is facing 4 possible felony charges and has broken the law.

What ever happened to Marge Shott? She endorsed Hitler. Pretty sure she didn't lose her team nor was she forced to sell it. She wasn't allowed to manage it for a couple of years.

No
you have no idea about the earning potential in the LA market with the core players they have....they are easily worth that.....Christ, the bucks just sold for 550MM+. If you don't think the LA Clippers are worth 2x the Bucks, you are crazy.

This isn't nationalized or community property. They bought the team and own it. To take it from them is what some folks like to call stealing. To make them sell is likely illegal as well.
Jayrod, you are an accountant so you of all people should understand this. He owns a franchise that is governed by a BOD. If he is hurting the value of the collective franchise then of course it should be taken from him. Think of a McDonalds. The franchisee pays a handsome sum to be granted the franchise agreement. If they don't perform, MCD's corp will pull the franchise and give it to someone that will.

What ever happened to Marge Shott? She endorsed Hitler. Pretty sure she didn't lose her team nor was she forced to sell it. She wasn't allowed to manage it for a couple of years.
Just imagine what will happen to anyone caught uttering racist words two decades from now!

On May 5, 1996, Schott aroused ire when she made statements favorable of Adolf Hitler, saying he "was good in the beginning, but went too far."[2] MLB again banned Schott from day-to-day operations through 1998. Later in the month, Schott was quoted in Sports Illustrated as speaking in a "cartoonish Japanese accent" while describing her meeting with the prime minister of Japan.[2] Further, she said that she did not like Asian-American kids "outdoing our kids" in high school.[2]

On April 20, 1999, Schott agreed to sell her controlling interest in the Reds for $67 million to a group led by Cincinnati businessman Carl Lindner. At the time she was facing a third suspension, failing health and an expiring ownership agreement with her limited partners, who planned to oust her. Schott remained as a minority partner.

(ETA this is from wikipedia)

Keep in mind that Sterling has a history of this. And up until recently he refused to put a good product on the court letting his stars go at the end of their deals and not keeping anyone to build around. He was the most profitable owner in the NBA and was consistently considered the worst owner in sports.

I do believe this is just the icing on the cake and a good way to use the outcry to remove a bad owner. Had this been a one time "mistake" then maybe it isnt worth ousting him. But he has a history of badness.

Keep in mind that Sterling has a history of this. And up until recently he refused to put a good product on the court letting his stars go at the end of their deals and not keeping anyone to build around. He was the most profitable owner in the NBA and was consistently considered the worst owner in sports.

I do believe this is just the icing on the cake and a good way to use the outcry to remove a bad owner. Had this been a one time "mistake" then maybe it isnt worth ousting him. But he has a history of badness.
I just think that when it comes to voting someone out the owners are going to look in the mirror and say "what if I want to be cheap?" "What if I have a sidepiece and say something I shouldn't?". At the end of the day most of these guys have probably used the N word about a player. More than a few have probably had affairs. Hard to vote him out when you might be next. But we'll see.

He started off doing some great things but kind of did some bad stuff at the end.

I just think that when it comes to voting someone out the owners are going to look in the mirror and say "what if I want to be cheap?" "What if I have a sidepiece and say something I shouldn't?". At the end of the day most of these guys have probably used the N word about a player. More than a few have probably had affairs. Hard to vote him out when you might be next. But we'll see.
:goodposting:

My take from the audio wasn't so much that he's a scumbag (he is) but that he was embarrassed what his peers, probably other owners, would think of him for *gasp* being seen with teh blacks. I'm sure he would feel the same way about every person on this board with the possible exception of Chet.

Jerry Jones should not be on this list. I love the misery that he causes for annoying Cowboy fans.

As a long-time Raider fan, I know what the Cowboy fans are going through. Not that things are great for the Raiders now but at least there is hope.

If anyone actually thinks this is a "we'll see" situation I'll offer you 4 to 1 on the owners' vote.

If anyone actually thinks this is a "we'll see" situation I'll offer you 4 to 1 on the owners' vote.
I think it is a we'll see. They didn't vote out Shinn and he was sued multiple times for sexual harrasment along with being cheap and shady.

I think it is a we'll see. They didn't vote out Shinn and he was sued multiple times for sexual harrasment along with being cheap and shady.
You're wrong. But if you think you're right a friendly wager is on the table.

Jayrod, you are an accountant so you of all people should understand this. He owns a franchise that is governed by a BOD. If he is hurting the value of the collective franchise then of course it should be taken from him. Think of a McDonalds. The franchisee pays a handsome sum to be granted the franchise agreement. If they don't perform, MCD's corp will pull the franchise and give it to someone that will.
Yeah, I've read up a bit about the NBA owner's agreements since that post 3 days ago.

He is definitely causing economic harm to the other owners and as a member of the organization he has a responsibility to ensure their investments in addition to his own.

If you're so confident, make it 50-1.

If you're so confident, make it 50-1.
I am that confident but I can't give in like that on a bet. Sets a bad precedent. So 4-1 it is.

TobiasFunke said:
NCCommish said:
TobiasFunke said:
NCCommish said:
B Maverick said:

I don't do wagers with people on the internet. Wagering doesn't prove much and there are often issues with payment. In the end we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread