What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (5 Viewers)

You guys are underestimating him if he joins the NYG.  He shouldn't have a lot of problems getting double digit yards per game behind that o-line.  Sure, there will be some single digit yards games, but probably not more than 4 or 5 games.
Do you mean yards or points? lol

Do you mean yards or points? lol
Yards.  It's already been a problem.  Barkley had 15 carries for 6 yards in week 1.  He had a few stinkers last year too.  As much as they have invested in the o-line, it's not working too well.

Yards.  It's already been a problem.  Barkley had 15 carries for 6 yards in week 1.  He had a few stinkers last year too.  As much as they have invested in the o-line, it's not working too well.
Ah ok, figured it was a joke haha.  It's not pretty there but if he's the clear lead back then he's most definitely worth a roster spot.

Ah ok, figured it was a joke haha.  It's not pretty there but if he's the clear lead back then he's most definitely worth a roster spot.
I was mostly joking and I agree - he would be worth a roster spot and should have some good games if he become the lead RB.  That shouldn't be hard for him since they have pretty poor quality depth.

Freeman was a big PPR value when in Atlanta (59 rec on 71 targets in 2019 on 14 games).  With the Gmen lacking a solid Def, playing catch up and PPR value could make him Flex startable in some leagues.   I carried him all summer with the expectation he would sign after the season started.... I think this is about as good as any possible outcome I could hope for regarding his landing spot! 

If he signs NYG -->  he does not have an easy schedule and won't do much in rush yards.  His only value is PPR

And he's signing with The Giants.
Rotoworld take:

Giants agreed to terms with RB Devonta Freeman, formerly of the Falcons. 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports that, provided Freeman passes his COVID-19 test and physical, he will be a Giant. Playing tough to get all offseason after being released by the Falcons, 28-year-old Freeman has finally found the right opportunity. Conditioning will be an issue early on, but he should immediately jump to the front of the line in the Giants' committee. Dion Lewis will be the No. 2, with Wayne Gallman being an afterthought. Lewis is probably still the preferred Week 3 play, with Freeman taking over afterward. A three-down player, Freeman provided consistently diminishing returns as injuries seemed to take their toll in Atlanta. It would not be surprising if he maxed out as more of a FLEX than RB2 in New York, especially considering how bad most Giants game scripts will be. 

RELATED: 

New York Giants

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

Sep 22, 2020, 2:13 PM ET

Once settled in, I would expect a committee, with Lewis capping Freeman's receptions, and who knows what happens at the  GL. 

if he has Singletary-type value the rest of the year, owners should consider themselves fortunate. I wouldn't be too excited about owning any RB on that team. Y'all saw how a healthy Barkley did. And that was god awful. 

Where is Freeman in the waiver wire pecking order?

Jump M. Davis and D. Henderson?
No and no, but closer. 

Short term, Davis is in a much better situation. CMC is obviously coming back, which caps Davis' value. So if you want a high ceiling, short-term, Davis > Freeman. if you want a low ceiling long-term, Freeman is your pony.  Henderson should have value season-long. 

No and no, but closer. 

Short term, Davis is in a much better situation. CMC is obviously coming back, which caps Davis' value. So if you want a high ceiling, short-term, Davis > Freeman. if you want a low ceiling long-term, Freeman is your pony.  Henderson should have value season-long. 
Davis could easily be 6 weeks, that's not short term IMHO...I understand what you're saying or thinking...like a champion/playoffs but for many it's survival right now and I'll take Davis on a team that IMO isn't as loaded at WR as some would have you believe. He was a target magnet and Carolina is going to continue to play from behind. 

Last edited by a moderator:

(Kelley)>Henderson>(McKinnon)>Davis>Freeman is what I currently have. McKinnon vs Davis is tight though. I'm an upside chaser, which is why I bumped Davis down but if I ever play McKinnon I fully expect Shanahan to only call his # a handful of times.

Davis could easily be 6 weeks, that's not short term IMHO...I understand what you're saying or thinking...like a champion/playoffs but for many it's survival right now and I'll take David on a team that IMO isn't as loaded at WR as some would have you believe. He was a target magnet and Carolina is going to continue to play from behind. 
Still - a 6-week rental, as opposed to a season long gig.

otherwise, I agree. That’s why I think Davis is a better investment regardless. just acknowledging that it is shorter term.

That was a different O-Line.
Point is, Gallman filled the role of Barkley in his absence and put up similar numbers to my recollection. Barkley didn't do great in his first two games (1.5?) this year but his O-line was new and there was no preseason. I don't think anyone was bailing on Barkley before his injury so idk why you would bail on Freeman. 

That O-line is going to gel sometime over the next few weeks and Freeman is much better than Wayne Gallman. 

Whatever we could have expected from Barkley in the coming weeks, I think we can expect just a tad less from Freeman.

Which is a f#cking gold mine if he's available on waivers. 

(Kelley)>Henderson>(McKinnon)>Davis>Freeman is what I currently have. McKinnon vs Davis is tight though. I'm an upside chaser, which is why I bumped Davis down but if I ever play McKinnon I fully expect Shanahan to only call his # a handful of times.
Put me on the list of guys trying to sort out the same mess.  Right now I've got it:

Freeman

McKinnon

Davis

Henderson

Of those, Henderson last is the one I feel most confident about -- Akers and Brown aren't going away, and McVay isn't suddenly going to become a bell-cow guy after buying into the SF committee approach.  That has the look and feel of a classic RBBC headache.  That said, I wouldn't fault anyone for putting Freeman last.  The bust potential is very high there.

BTW my list could look completely different by the time I finalize my waiver claims later tonight.  In fact I fully expect it will.  However the wind blows the moment before I log off and go to bed will decide it.

Put me on the list of guys trying to sort out the same mess.  Right now I've got it:

Freeman

McKinnon

Davis

Henderson

Of those, Henderson last is the one I feel most confident about -- Akers and Brown aren't going away, and McVay isn't suddenly going to become a bell-cow guy after buying into the SF committee approach.  That has the look and feel of a classic RBBC headache.  That said, I wouldn't fault anyone for putting Freeman last.  The bust potential is very high there.

BTW my list could look completely different by the time I finalize my waiver claims later tonight.  In fact I fully expect it will.  However the wind blows the moment before I log off and go to bed will decide it.
I'd go:

1. Davis -- Think he steps right in and has the potential to generate 15-20 PPR points immediately. Win now for me, figure things out later when CMC returns.

2. McKinnon -- Huge value in the very short term and will probably be the 1B to Mostert once he's back on a team that wants to run.

3. Freeman -- Could be starting RB on a team with lots of offensive weapons in a lousy division. Could also be a bust.

4. Henderson -- Need both Brown and Akers to falter. No guarantee of short or long term production.

It depends on so many things.  Is it PPR?  What's your record?  Do you own CMC? 

If you're 2-0 and think you can make the playoffs, Davis loses a lot of value.  I also think CMC is back in 3-4 weeks.  Go Freeman if this is the case. 

If you own CMC, then Davis is the top pick.

Freeman has major bust potential, but I also want to see his deal.  If they paid him good money, they're going to use him.  And they won't be afraid to absolutely run him into the ground.  I like him as a season long flex in standard leagues, while Davis is maybe an RB2 for 3-4 weeks.

Overall I only take Davis over Freeman if I own CMC, or it's a PPR league, or I'm 0-2.  Otherwise It's Freeman for me.

I'd go:

1. Davis -- Think he steps right in and has the potential to generate 15-20 PPR points immediately. Win now for me, figure things out later when CMC returns.

2. McKinnon -- Huge value in the very short term and will probably be the 1B to Mostert once he's back on a team that wants to run.

3. Freeman -- Could be starting RB on a team with lots of offensive weapons in a lousy division. Could also be a bust.

4. Henderson -- Need both Brown and Akers to falter. No guarantee of short or long term production.
Can't really argue any of that.  Freeman 3 and Henderson 4 especially.  I think I'm going to keep McKinnon ahead of Davis though.  We could see CMC back on the field in a couple weeks instead of the 4-6 being tossed around.

High ankle sprains are brutal. If you've ever had one and played football, it's nearly impossible to do the things you need to do to be effective. CMC was not allowed to speak to the media after the loss to Tampa, so we really don't know the extent or severity of the injury from the player's mouth. But 4-6 weeks is standard for high ankle sprains, and even then, it's generally a longer process to regaining full capacity. See Saquon Barkley last year when he thought he could cheat time coming back from a high ankle sprain.

The Giants OL does stink, but doesn't mean they can't improve enough to make Freeman viable. I'd still rather have him than Lewis, who looked poor the past few years behind a very good line in Tennessee.

The Giants OL does stink, but doesn't mean they can't improve enough to make Freeman viable. I'd still rather have him than Lewis, who looked poor the past few years behind a very good line in Tennessee.
Devonta Freeman looked so toasted last year that it seemed somebody would put him on a S'more, not sign him up for some more. 

Oof. That was bad. Yet it stands. Carry on.

Point is, Gallman filled the role of Barkley in his absence and put up similar numbers to my recollection. Barkley didn't do great in his first two games (1.5?) this year but his O-line was new and there was no preseason. I don't think anyone was bailing on Barkley before his injury so idk why you would bail on Freeman. 

That O-line is going to gel sometime over the next few weeks and Freeman is much better than Wayne Gallman. 

Whatever we could have expected from Barkley in the coming weeks, I think we can expect just a tad less from Freeman.

No one was bailing on Barkley because he's a generational talent.  He couldn't run a lick so far...he could do a lot with dump offs.

With CMC, if the Panthers are 0-7, do they risk bringing him back?  Davis could have value all year....but if the Panthers tank, how much value will he hold? Also, he’s a journeyman RB that is less talented than CMC

Henderson is in RBBC regardless, but he has shown some talent...he may get more touches

McKinnon is in RBBC, but he will earn touches in a dynamic O 

Freeman is on his last legs, playing for a bad team, but will be PPR value as Jones likes targeting the RBs.  Gallman and Lewis will still some snaps

Josh Kelley>McKinnon>Freeman>Henderson>Davis

Not really. Gallman had a good fantasy game when he filled in, but it was against a terrible Washington team and he still only ran for 3.5 ypc and lost a fumble. When they played later in the year Barkley put up almost 300 total yards and had a 8.6 ypc.

Freeman may be better than Gallman, but he's not even in the same zip code as Barkley. I think that's the largest "tad" in history.

He was RB21 last year and he missed three games. I’ve been ravaged by injuries in a couple leagues already, so I’m taking a shot. He may be pedestrian running the football, but he didn’t forget how to catch. 

Deamon said:
Freeman has major bust potential, but I also want to see his deal.  If they paid him good money, they're going to use him. 
Reportedly a 1-year deal for $3 million, which I believe is less than what the Seahawks offered him but that was to a backup, so I'm assuming there's an understanding he's the starter. 

Reportedly a 1-year deal for $3 million, which I believe is less than what the Seahawks offered him but that was to a backup, so I'm assuming there's an understanding he's the starter. 
Or, Freeman is getting desperate.  To me, 3 Million is not starter money. It seems more like veteran depth money.  

Fantasy owners of Freeman will have to be patient for at least a week or two.  He probably won't get a lot of carries his first week.  He's still the guy you want over Lewis.  Some will argue PPR and that has some merit, but Freeman will be their starting RB very soon, if not his first week.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Still - a 6-week rental, as opposed to a season long gig.

otherwise, I agree. That’s why I think Davis is a better investment regardless. just acknowledging that it is shorter term.
Yes in theory on the 6 weeks rental but there is some upside here for a longer period because high ankle sprains are really tricky for RBs especially for RBs that shifty. Who knows how long it's gonna take for CMC to come back full speed so Davis might have upside for longer than 6 weeks. 

Deamon said:
It depends on so many things.  Is it PPR?  What's your record?  Do you own CMC? 

If you're 2-0 and think you can make the playoffs, Davis loses a lot of value.  I also think CMC is back in 3-4 weeks.  Go Freeman if this is the case. 

If you own CMC, then Davis is the top pick.

Freeman has major bust potential, but I also want to see his deal.  If they paid him good money, they're going to use him.  And they won't be afraid to absolutely run him into the ground.  I like him as a season long flex in standard leagues, while Davis is maybe an RB2 for 3-4 weeks.

Overall I only take Davis over Freeman if I own CMC, or it's a PPR league, or I'm 0-2.  Otherwise It's Freeman for me.
good post.  I think how you rank these guys depends on your roster and needs.  If you are desperate for a decent starter over  the next couple weeks I'd go with Davis, if you're looking for lottery ticket/home run ability I'd put Henderson first followed by McKinnon...if you are looking for a year long starter Freeman is probably your guy.  

Hot Sauce Guy said:
if he has Singletary-type value the rest of the year, owners should consider themselves fortunate. I wouldn't be too excited about owning any RB on that team. Y'all saw how a healthy Barkley did. And that was god awful. 
I think this statement is a bit premature. Barkley did look horrible in the Pittsburgh game and the entire offense looked like garbage.  Against the Bears he had 4 rushes for 28 yards before the injury. The Giants have a new offensive coordinator and a rough schedule to start the season.  The backs (and Jones) will probably play better later in the season. I would definitely bet against Freeman being an RB1 but in this landscape he could turn into a low end RB2 or flex option - especially in PPR. I know Lewis is there but they will give Freeman every chance to succeed and Freeman is a decent receiver out of the backfield. Last year he looked a step slower which was probably due to either aging or playing injured. If he lost a step from last year than they will be lucky to get Frank Gore value out of him.  I think he is definitely worth a shot but you need to temper your expectations. 

They gave him "up to" $3 mil, which tells us it's likely a cheap flyer. Still worth an add in FF, but IMO he's behind most of the other guys being talked about in here. I'd much rather have Davis, a guy you can start even if it's only for 3-4 weeks, than Freeman, a guy who you hope you never have to start.

I think this statement is a bit premature. Barkley did look horrible in the Pittsburgh game and the entire offense looked like garbage.  Against the Bears he had 4 rushes for 28 yards before the injury. The Giants have a new offensive coordinator and a rough schedule to start the season.  The backs (and Jones) will probably play better later in the season. I would definitely bet against Freeman being an RB1 but in this landscape he could turn into a low end RB2 or flex option - especially in PPR. I know Lewis is there but they will give Freeman every chance to succeed and Freeman is a decent receiver out of the backfield. Last year he looked a step slower which was probably due to either aging or playing injured. If he lost a step from last year than they will be lucky to get Frank Gore value out of him.  I think he is definitely worth a shot but you need to temper your expectations. 
I’m not a big Freeman guy anyway. 

and dude from ESPN thinks Lewis will be the starter regardless in what will eventually become a RBBC:

SPN's Jordan Raanan said Dion Lewis is "the best bet to be the Giants' top running back with Saquon Barkley out for the season."

Raanan is as plugged in as it gets in New York, and he advises to "get on that waiver wire and grab Lewis. ASAP." Lewis is trusted in pass protection and should have the advantage on early downs in Week 3 over newly-signed RB Devonta Freeman who needs to learn a new playbook on short notice. The Giants are the NFL's most pass-heavy team in neutral situations, making Lewis a worthwhile add in all 12-team leagues. Lewis, Freeman, and deep sleeper Wayne Gallman will be competing for touches with Saquon Barkley (ACL) out for the season.

They gave him "up to" $3 mil, which tells us it's likely a cheap flyer. Still worth an add in FF, but IMO he's behind most of the other guys being talked about in here. I'd much rather have Davis, a guy you can start even if it's only for 3-4 weeks, than Freeman, a guy who you hope you never have to start.
Gonne see if I can find the video but a couple days ago I saw a video breaking down Freemans film from last year. It definitely looked more like an ATL offensive line problem moreso than a Freeman problem. He still made plenty of guys miss in open field.

and dude from ESPN thinks Lewis will be the starter regardless in what will eventually become a RBBC:
I had not heard this and obviously that would crush his value. I am surprised he would sign with the Giants if they didn't offer him a shot at becoming the starter.  Lewis doesn't really excite me either. I think Freeman is worth picking up - especially if you have room on your bench.

I had not heard this and obviously that would crush his value. I am surprised he would sign with the Giants if they didn't offer him a shot at becoming the starter.  Lewis doesn't really excite me either. I think Freeman is worth picking up - especially if you have room on your bench.
He sent that last night around 10:00 PT.  

Lewis showed pretty well in Barkley’s absence.

I think there’s a 1-2 week window where Lewis is the lead dog, and receiving back as Freeman comes up to speed. 

After that, who knows. Maybe it’s Freeman, many be it’s RBBC from hell.  As it turns out, Freeman’s offer is incentive-laden, so who knows what he was promised or not. I’ve seen that narrative a lot. Maybe the Eagles just weren’t interested after MSanders looked great & NYG was where Freeman could get a paycheck? :shrug:  

I’m interested in seeing what Freeman has in the tank. Last time I saw him run he wasn’t impressive. For this week at least I’d bet on Lewis being lead dog. If Crowder is out I’m probably gonna flex him so I hope so. 

Users who are viewing this thread