What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (3 Viewers)

ESPN's Sheil Kapadia believes the Seahawks may be forced to cut Marshawn Lynch if he decides to come out of retirement.
Lynch will be owed $9 million if he comes out of retirement, a number which would take up a large chunk of Seattle's remaining $14.7 million cap space. The Seahawks could hold Lynch in an effort to extract a draft pick from the Raiders, but doing so would limit their flexibility in the second and third waves of free agency. If Lynch does decide to come back, Kapadia believes the Seahawks will "most likely" release him.

Related: Raiders

Source: ESPN 
Mar 18 - 11:31 AM

While I remember some incredible beast mode runs, I also remember a guy with a bad back.   Is a year off good or bad for a 31 year old guy?   While this makes no sense on many levels, something about the Raiders makes me think this could actually happen.

While I remember some incredible beast mode runs, I also remember a guy with a bad back.   Is a year off good or bad for a 31 year old guy?   While this makes no sense on many levels, something about the Raiders makes me think this could actually happen.
Depends what you do on that year off. If he was staying in shape while taking care not to re-injure his back then it could be a good thing. If he was sitting around playing video games then he'll probably have lost a step that will be hard to get back and open himself up for training camp injuries.

Marshawn Lynch - RB -  Seahawks

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, it's "Raiders or bust" for Marshawn Lynch.
Lynch isn't willing to play for the Seahawks or anyone other than his hometown Raiders. Additionally, Lynch un-retiring is "realer than it's ever been," which lines up with what MMQB's Peter King reported on Monday. Expect this to get worked out before the draft so the Raiders know what they have. Right now, odds seem much better than 50-50 that Lynch will be a Raider.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Mar 20 - 11:00 AM

Where do we rank Lynch in a dyno rookie draft if he was dropped and is a FA if he joins the Raiders? I'm thinking late 2nd/3rd if a RB need and he shows anything indicating health pre-draft date.

Where do we rank Lynch in a dyno rookie draft if he was dropped and is a FA if he joins the Raiders? I'm thinking late 2nd/3rd if a RB need and he shows anything indicating health pre-draft date.
If I were a contender and could use a RB, I could see spending a late 2nd. 

Im trying to figure out how much BB $ to spend when our offseason waivers run April 1st. 

If I were a contender and could use a RB, I could see spending a late 2nd. 

Im trying to figure out how much BB $ to spend when our offseason waivers run April 1st. 
For what it is worth - when the news was first announced he might unretire, I got him in few leagues for 5% - 7% of my BB$. In another league a guy who had BB$ roll over from prior years and bid 1/3 of his BBD, which equaled the 2017 allotment for each team. Speculation is still all over the map, with some saying he won't want to play if the team becomes the Las Vegas Raiders (although not sure what difference that makes as they can't play there until the stadium is built - Vegas has no other facilities that could be used in the interim). Personally at this point I wouldn't go more than 10% of my BB$

Barstool Sports' Pat McAfee reports Marshawn Lynch is visiting the Raiders on Wednesday.
Yes, recently retired Colts P McAfee is now breaking news. Lynch is still technically employed by the Seahawks if he wants to return to playing, but Seattle okayed the visit with Oakland, likely in hopes of facilitating a trade. This Lynch-Raiders thing has been simmering since March 17 and figures to happen sometime before the draft if Lynch ultimately decides to resume his career.

Source: Barstool Sports 
Apr 5 - 2:38 PM

Lets say he returns, as the "starter" for the Raiders.  I assume he was dropped in the vast, vast majority of leagues.  At what point would you feel comfortable using a rookie pick on a 31 year old RB?

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet  19m19 minutes ago
On Marshawn Lynch: My understanding is that meeting with Jack Del Rio is the final hurdle. If the #Raiders coach signs off, dominoes fall.

Shocked this might happen. I really assumed it was all BS. I am not sure how excited I am though. His last year in Seattle wasn't very good.

Lets say he returns, as the "starter" for the Raiders.  I assume he was dropped in the vast, vast majority of leagues.  At what point would you feel comfortable using a rookie pick on a 31 year old RB?
Just divide by 10...  3.1

Is that the rule?  HAHA. 
Just a coincidence.  Too many miles and moons on that body for me to invest a pick in the first two rounds.  If I played IDP it would be a round later. 

Even at 3.01, he would only be a consideration and that would depend on the board and team needs.

Just a coincidence.  Too many miles and moons on that body for me to invest a pick in the first two rounds.  If I played IDP it would be a round later. 

Even at 3.01, he would only be a consideration and that would depend on the board and team needs.
I dont think he'd last until the 3.1, but if he did he's a non-brainer at that spot imo, no matter what your team's situation. The odds are pretty good  you'd be able to flip him for more during the season. I could surely see him getting off to a big start at least.

I dont think he'd last until the 3.1, but if he did he's a non-brainer at that spot imo, no matter what your team's situation. The odds are pretty good  you'd be able to flip him for more during the season. I could surely see him getting off to a big start at least.
I have a weird deja vu feeling now, probably from an Arian Foster thread of a year ago...  Lynch may not have the medical record of Foster, but there is such a short time horizon with Marshawn.   Does anyone see him playing beyond two years?  There are multiple scenarios where he plays less than that.

I would be more interested if I had a hole at RB.  I would have less interest if I projected him to be on my bench.

You might be right that you could flip him at a profit.  I generally don't think that way because I prefer to draft for my own team's needs rather than anticipate the demand around the league.  So, if he is a no-brainer at 3.1, when do you first consider him?

I like him.  And I like him on the Raiders.  It will be a fun situation to watch play out.

Seems like a weird fit, but the Raiders have a beast of an o-line, especially with run blocking, so if a stiff like Latavius Murray can average 4.0 YPC and scored 12 TDs, imagine how well Lynch could do, assuming he shows up in shape and ready to play (which I cannot imagine a guy like Lynch playing if he wasn't in shape). 

I have a weird deja vu feeling now, probably from an Arian Foster thread of a year ago...  Lynch may not have the medical record of Foster, but there is such a short time horizon with Marshawn.   Does anyone see him playing beyond two years?  There are multiple scenarios where he plays less than that.
Seems like a two year time horizon.  The Raiders (like many vacationing people) can wash the smell of Vegas off them a bit and concern themselves with the here and now.  Lynch is the Oakland boy that does good before both part ways. 

Seems like a weird fit, but the Raiders have a beast of an o-line, especially with run blocking, so if a stiff like Latavius Murray can average 4.0 YPC and scored 12 TDs, imagine how well Lynch could do, assuming he shows up in shape and ready to play (which I cannot imagine a guy like Lynch playing if he wasn't in shape). 
On his podcast Michael Lombardi said he thought the Raiders was a great fit on the field and thought it made sense to have all the backs split carries early with Lynch gradually taking over.  Basically being the man at the goal-line and specific situations early, but being the bell cow come playoff time.

I also read this quote from Marshawn's mom, “The town is buzzing and [if] everybody is loving it, then I am to."  If momma is even on board...it's gonna be Beast Mode time soon enough.

This feels like the Willie Parker, and Jerome Bettis time share in Pittsburgh a few years ago. Lynch will be the close out the game, short yardage guy, and Washington/Richard will be the the outside the 20 and passing guy.

I would be more interested if I had a hole at RB.  I would have less interest if I projected him to be on my bench.

You might be right that you could flip him at a profit.  I generally don't think that way because I prefer to draft for my own team's needs rather than anticipate the demand around the league.  So, if he is a no-brainer at 3.1, when do you first consider him?

I like him.  And I like him on the Raiders.  It will be a fun situation to watch play out.
If I was a contender and the board wasn't going the way I like I would consider as high as 2.3/2.4 maybe. Shortly after that for any situation. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch

The Breports Marshawn Lynch has "privately expressed interest" in playing for the Patriots "if talks break off with the Raiders."oston Herald's Jeff Howe

Talks between Lynch and the Raiders seem to not have much movement to them, though we would expect negotiations to pick up as we draw nearer to the draft. It's possible Lynch is floating the Patriots idea out to the media as a way to get the Raiders moving with this. It sounds like Lynch fully plans to make a comeback. He just needs he Raiders and coach Jack Del Rio to sign off on it. Apr 10 - 12:57 PM

Source: Jeff Howe on Twitter

If the Raiders are balking at his demands, what makes anyone think the Patriots would match them?

Retired running back Marshawn Lynch, who’s considering returning to the league, was involved in an unflattering incident at Los Angeles International Airport on Monday, video of which is available courtesy of TMZ. Lynch smacked a cellphone out of the hand of an autograph seeker, cracking the screen, and that person is now considering filing a police report for assault. The league declined to comment on the run-in, per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

Ed Werder‏Verified account 
@Edwerderespn
Source: Marshawn Lynch has begun NFL reinstatement process, hoping to play for #Raiders or could team with Richard Sherman if CB traded.

ESPN's Ed Werder reports Marshawn Lynch's "short-term deal" with the Raiders will include "heavy incentives."
That's far from s surprise. No matter how badly the Raiders want Lynch, they understand he's a 31-year-old back (this month) who spent 2016 out of the league. Lynch also struggled through injury and bouts of ineffectiveness in 2015. His addition, while a big name, would be far from a slam dunk.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter 
Apr 13 - 1:50 PM

Probably a conditional future 7th in terms of the trade, when it happens? 
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Seahawks would settle for that. Lynch wants to play in Oakland, he has a contract in place with the Raiders. Seattle holds all the cards don't they? Maybe Seattle gets a 4th or 5th round pick for him??

Great for Seattle, they might get something basically for free. Not sure what Oakland is thinking. How is Lynch better than Peterson, or Blount or maybe giving up a bit more for Doug Martin, or drafting a good prospect? Lynch was awful in 2015, Seattle got significantly better the second he got injured, Rawls and even Michael were major upgrades to the offense from Lynch.

Wouldn't be shocked if Lynch was the 3rd most effective RB on the Raiders, of course last year, that was Latavius Murray and he had fantasy value.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Seahawks would settle for that. Lynch wants to play in Oakland, he has a contract in place with the Raiders. Seattle holds all the cards don't they? Maybe Seattle gets a 4th or 5th round pick for him??
I don't think they hold any cards, unless they want to see Lynch come back and be on the hook for the $8-9MM he's due this year.  So I'm guessing they'll take whatever the Raiders offer.

They're not paying Lynch what he'd be on the books for, so they effectively have zero leverage. 

So I picked him up in an offseason waiver run for roughly 1% of my WW budget on a very competitive team.  So would you guys just ride this out or try to flip him?  I am not sure anyone would give anything worthwhile (say a 2nd) so I'm leaning toward riding this train wherever it may go.

Not sure what Oakland is thinking. How is Lynch better than Peterson, or Blount or maybe giving up a bit more for Doug Martin, or drafting a good prospect?

Wouldn't be shocked if Lynch was the 3rd most effective RB on the Raiders, of course last year, that was Latavius Murray and he had fantasy value.
Lynch may not be better than your other backs mentioned, but he'll be cheaper, and that's the point. Deal is conditional on restructure of the contract so they are likely getting Lynch for pennies on the dollar.

And I don't think it matters if he's the third best on the squad. He fills a role that the Raiders definitely need - early down/short yardage.

Lynch doesn't need to be All Pro. He just needs to be a credible running threat to help open up the offense.

And I expect the Raiders to draft a stout north south runner in the draft's later rounds to serve as Lynch's replacement.

Lynch may not be better than your other backs mentioned, but he'll be cheaper, and that's the point. Deal is conditional on restructure of the contract so they are likely getting Lynch for pennies on the dollar.

And I don't think it matters if he's the third best on the squad. He fills a role that the Raiders definitely need - early down/short yardage.

Lynch doesn't need to be All Pro. He just needs to be a credible running threat to help open up the offense.

And I expect the Raiders to draft a stout north south runner in the draft's later rounds to serve as Lynch's replacement.
I disagree with all of this. Lynch isn't going to come back for the league minimum, nowhere near pennies on the dollar. I bet he gets 5 mill/year at least. I'd be shocked if he wasn't one of the 10 highest paid RB's in the NFL. 

Maybe he'll be cheaper than Peterson would be, though I doubt it, but there is no way he'd be cheaper than Blount. Furthermore, Oakland has some of the most cap space in the NFL, monetary cost isn't a reason for the Lynch move in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with all of this. Lynch isn't going to come back for the league minimum, nowhere near pennies on the dollar. I bet he gets 5 mill/year at least. I'd be shocked if he wasn't one of the 10 highest paid RB's in the NFL. 

Maybe he'll be cheaper than Peterson would be, though I doubt it, but there is no way he'd be cheaper than Blount. Furthermore, Oakland has some of the most cap space in the NFL, monetary cost isn't a reason for the Lynch move in any way.
I bet it's closer to the 2-3 million dollar base salary and heavy with incentives.

The Raiders have a lot of cap but most of that is set aside for Carr and Jackson's new deals which will be worked on after the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread