What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

Many, but not all of the US MLS players returned to action recently for their clubs.

KC hosts Chicago today on ESPN at 3:00pm.

One of the new names to emerge this season is Harry Shipp from the Fire. 22 year old forward who has settled right into the pro game as a rookie. Today should be a good opportunity to check him out.

I have heard that Zusi and Besler might play today but nothing definite.

Also this game might feature the youngster Erik Palmer Brown, the kid Juventus tried to buy before he became a pro.
Zusi, Beseler and Brown are not in the KC starting lineup.
Dempsey and Yedlin sat out yesterday, but Bradley played 60mins in a 2-1 loss to DC.
Davis, Beckerman and Rimando also played.

Gonzo sat out.

Two biggest questions for me over the next 6 weeks or so are where does Juan Agudelo land and if and where does Julian Green get loaned to.

For newer fans unfamiliar with Agudelo, here is a nice youtube highlight package.

He is the total package physically. Strong, fast, quick, great feet, good in the air, willingness to try hard things, makes good runs etc.

He has always lacked a maturity and consistency in his game which can drive coaches and vets nuts because they can see the potential.

http://youtu.be/6jaaEQvMcHA

Besler, Zusi, and Palmer-Brown not in the lineup today. Besler and Zusi in the house though, about to get a nice ovation.

Benny's in the lineup though!!

Many, but not all of the US MLS players returned to action recently for their clubs.

One of the new names to emerge this season is Harry Shipp from the Fire. 22 year old forward who has settled right into the pro game as a rookie. Today should be a good opportunity to check him out.

Also this game might feature the youngster Erik Palmer Brown, the kid Juventus tried to buy before he became a pro.
Zusi, Beseler and Brown are not in the KC starting lineup.
Yes, I missed this post.

Besler, Zusi, and Palmer-Brown not in the lineup today. Besler and Zusi in the house though, about to get a nice ovation.

Benny's in the lineup though!!
Such a good atmosphere in KC. I can see why Besler would not leave if he could get a decent contract like Gonzo.

I don't know about you guys, but I've officially written off Patrick Ianni as a "guy to watch" this cycle. :)

Good grief.

On the other hand, I do love me some Dom Dwyer. Too bad he's not Nat-eligible

Last edited by a moderator:
SHOULDA BROUGHT MIKE MAGEE TO BRAZIL.
I remember when the metros drafted him and eddie gavin close together. Thought they would dominate. Didn't happenThey also had jozy and aguedelo. Just cant keep em long enough. Best game I ever attended was the first game beckham played in nj. Altidore vs the world
MetroBulls have had

Michael Bradley

Juan Agudelo

Tim Ream

Jozy Altidore

That would have been the best spine in MLS had they stayed together.

I remember when the metros drafted him and eddie gavin close together. Thought they would dominate. Didn't happenThey also had jozy and aguedelo. Just cant keep em long enough. Best game I ever attended was the first game beckham played in nj. Altidore vs the world
MetroBulls have hadMichael Bradley

Juan Agudelo

Tim Ream

Jozy Altidore

That would have been the best spine in MLS had they stayed together.
Don't forget Timmy!

NewlyRetired said:

I watched a Fire game a few weeks back... maybe against the RBs. That Shipp kid looked like the real deal- very aggressive and capable going forward. Good touch, and good ability to make runs- really looked to open himself up and get at goal (I think he scored one or two that game as well). IIRC, he was a left sided winger? I definitely liked what I saw from him.

Palmer Brown... I know nussing.

NewlyRetired said:
Two biggest questions for me over the next 6 weeks or so are where does Juan Agudelo land and if and where does Julian Green get loaned to.

For newer fans unfamiliar with Agudelo, here is a nice youtube highlight package.

He is the total package physically. Strong, fast, quick, great feet, good in the air, willingness to try hard things, makes good runs etc.

He has always lacked a maturity and consistency in his game which can drive coaches and vets nuts because they can see the potential.

http://youtu.be/6jaaEQvMcHA
To be fair- I think/hope part of that immaturity was him being... not mature. As in, young. I'm hoping his time in Europe has opened his eyes in ways that getting to play alongside Henry (who couldn't hide his exasperation with the kid) didn't.

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
I don't know about you guys, but I've officially written off Patrick Ianni as a "guy to watch" this cycle. :)

Good grief.

On the other hand, I do love me some Dom Dwyer. Too bad he's not Nat-eligible
Jeebus. Is he still playing? I feel like I've been watching him for decades. And am always underwhelmed.

AcerFC said:
Steve Tasker said:
that game was awesome.

you got me thinking... considering how poorly MetroBUlls have done over the years, they've had a knack for bringing in young talent. Magee, Gavin, Jozy, Agudelo, Ream

AcerFC said:
Steve Tasker said:
that game was awesome.

you got me thinking... considering how poorly MetroBUlls have done over the years, they've had a knack for bringing in young talent. Magee, Gavin, Jozy, Agudelo, Ream
my 7 and 4 year old asked me to bring them to a game. Looks like ill be at my first since 08 and my first at redbull stadium

AcerFC said:
Steve Tasker said:
that game was awesome.

my 7 and 4 year old asked me to bring them to a game. Looks like ill be at my first since 08 and my first at redbull stadium
Cool. I hear that stadium does not have a bad seat in the house.

Who are you hoping to see?

AcerFC said:
Steve Tasker said:
that game was awesome.

Cool. I hear that stadium does not have a bad seat in the house.

Who are you hoping to see?
RB arena might be the best place I've ever seen a soccer game (including games in Germany and Italy).

Even walking around the arena to get to or leave your seats... each opening to the field offers different and great vantage points.

just don't get suckered into going to Yankee stadium to see NYCFC- that place is shockingly bad to watch the sport.

Hey Acer- thanks again for the OC offer. Ended up at my BiL's place in a Toll Bros complex near Assateague. Your wife got to miss out on whiney, crying, swearing drunk floppo in all my charm.

No worries. No plans on going to yankee stadium. Want to go this summer.

Maybe seattle. Went to the web site but the tickets part was down.for a water break

Some U17 news.

[JULY CAMP] U.S. under-17 men’s national team head coach Richie Williams called 38 players into a week-long training camp that began Saturday at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. The camp will be used to determine the rosters for a pair of tournaments: the Nordic Open Cup July 24-Aug. 3 in Kolding, Denmark, and the Copa de Mexico in Mexico City, the group stage of which will take place July 30-Aug. 11.

The camp roster includes 22 players currently enrolled in U.S. Soccer’s U-17 Residency program and four players based with four clubs: Joe Gallardo and Jonathan Gonzalez at Monterrey in Mexico, Josh Perez with Fiorentina in Italy and forward Kai Koreniuk of Dutch club Vitesse. It represents the first U.S. call-up at any age level for Koreniuk, a dual citizen. Other players receiving their first call-ups include Francisco Contreras (Bethesda-Olney), Alejandro Lopez (Santa Cruz Breakers) and Miles Stray (Real Salt Lake AZ).

The roster is primarily composed of players born in 1998. Of the six who were born in 1999, Edwin Lara (De Anza Force) has been a consistent contributor with the U-17 program throughout the current cycle.

Three core U-17 players are missing: Danny Barbir (West Bromwich) and Luca de la Torre (Fulham), who are at English youth academies, and highly regarded forward Haji Wright, who has been in U-17 Residency and trained with the LA Galaxy in April.

U.S. U-17 Men's National Team Roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Eric Lopez (LA Galaxy Academy), William Pulisic (Richmond Strikers), Kevin Silva (PDA).

DEFENDERS (12): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls Academy), Hugo Arellano (Chivas USA Academy), Nikkye De Point (Revolution Empire), Tanner Dieterich (TN Soccer Club), McKay Eves (San Diego Surf), Edwin Lara (De Anza Force), John Nelson (Internationals), Matthew Olosunde (New York Red Bulls Academy), AJ Palazzolo (St. Louis Scott Gallagher MO), Miles Stray (Real Salt Lake AZ), Mattias Tomasino (Kendall), Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf).

MIDFIELDERS (12): George Braima (Crew Soccer Academy), Eric Calvillo (Real So Cal), Francisco Contreras (Bethesda-Olney), Jonathan Gonzalez (Monterrey/MEX), Kyle Gurrieri (NJSA 04), Alejandro Lopez (Santa Cruz Breakers), Thomas McCabe (PDA), Weston McKennie (FC Dallas Academy), Logan Panchot (St. Louis Scott Gallagher MO), Christian Pulisic (PA Classics), Brian Zelaya (De Anza Force), Alejandro Zendejas (FC Dallas Academy).

FORWARDS (11): Pierre Da Silva (New York SC), Lucas Del Rosario (Capital Area RailHawks Academy), Ronaldo Escudero (Pateadores), McKinze Gaines (Lonestar SC), Joe Gallardo (Monterrey/MEX), Keegan Kelly (Baltimore Celtic), Kai Koreniuk (Vitesse/NED), Eric Matzelevich (Bethesda-Olney), Josh Perez (Fiorentina/ITA), Elijah Rice (Chicago Magic PSG), Devin Vega (San Antonio Scorpions Academy).

Pretty strong critique of Klinsmann, USMNT, and moving forward

Can't say I disagree with a lot of the comments, despite being a fan of Klinsmann. Very long read, so I won't post it here, but in addition to looking back at the 2014 WC, does a good job looking ahead to 2018, and more players that might be involved.
I kinda disagree entirely with this point:

5) Costa Rica's success with playing good attacking, possession football against, and succeeding in moving onto the quarterfinal is not only a damning of the problems of US Soccer, which continue to linger today, but that Mexico is also lagging dramatically behind. Costa Rica is a nation of only 4.5 million people, while the total population of USA and Mexico combined exceed 400 million. (Potential Mexico issues will be addressed at a later time.) The USA (and Mexico to a certain extent) benefits greatly from immigrant populations--but whether it is Klinsmann's fault, or the combination of USSF powers, the influencers in US Soccer forums, or the soccer culture just starting to mature, or something else--the USA clearly regressed in the 2014 World Cup. A goalkeeper having to make 16 saves signals that the defense and the team in front of it was overmatched--and the manager himself was also overmatched.
First, Costa Rica didn't play too much "good attacking, possession football" from what I saw. They played with 5 defenders for the majority of the tournament. Not to take away from their tournament, because they went on an incredible run, but they didn't exactly look like Brazil out there.

Second, I think it's pretty unfair to say that the US "clearly regressed". I was always a fan of Bob Bradley and will always be a Bradley apologist, and I was a very strong critic of Klinsmann after the hiring, but what more could Klinsmann have done? They won the hex - dominated it, at times - won the 2013 Gold Cup, got out of arguably the toughest group in the entire World Cup, and took a very good Belgian team to extra time. I wonder about Klinsmann's tactical ability, like we all do, but it's hard to really envision him getting any more out of the current player pool. If anything, I think it might be fair to say the USMNT is treading water. But clearly regressed? Come on now.

I do like his look forward to the future as it has some names I'm not really familiar with, but I'm not really sure he should be focusing so much on Richard Sanchez. He's played with the Mexicans at all youth levels and just recently completed a move to Tigres. We can hope, but it's looking increasingly like a longshot that he ever plays with the USMNT.

For all the people blaming the US soccer way, I dont get it. Everyone is calling for players to get maximum touches and be technical. As someone who has gone through US soccer education, this is exactly what we are taught. Every activity can have both a technical and tactical manipulation. Small sided is always favorable to large sided. Im not sure the US training philosophy is the problem
Acer, as someone in the system, how much do you feel the pay for play model hurts us over all? I know it is changing at the highest levels (MLS academies etc) but maybe not wide spread enough to make a dent in this huge country?
I dont know about the finance aspect. What I can tell you from being around the HS level is that if clubs want the player enough, and the kid has no money, they will fund him. I also know from having a kid who is just getting into hockey, that I will pay between 2-3k for hockey a year and that is.before he turns 8. Then it goes up. There are thousands of kids that play US youth hockey yet we have never produced a Gretzky.
I'm behind on this thread, but Gretzky seems like an impossible standard.

Look at Patrick Kane's development model for a success story in hockey. He left his home in Buffalo to play in Michigan on one of the top club teams in the US for 3 years, then spent time in the US Development program, and then finished up his development in major junior hockey. He was the #1 overall draft pick and may very well wind up as the best player in US hockey history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Kane

Minor and juniorWhen Kane was fourteen, he played junior hockey for the USA Bobcats, scoring many goals and earning the title of MVP. Kane relocated to Michigan where he lived with former NHL player Pat Verbeek, having been convinced to play for the Honeybaked AAA hockey club in Detroit. The club is a part of the Midwest Elite Hockey League. Kane's career with Honeybaked lasted for 3 years.[1]

The London Knights drafted Kane in the 5th round of the 2004 Ontario Hockey League Midget Draft,[2] but he did not choose to play for the Knights until the 2006–07 season.[3] Instead, Kane played for the United States U-18 National Team Development Program (NTDP), where he led the team in scoring with 102 points[4] during the 2005–06 season. Playing on a line with Sergei Kostitsyn and Sam Gagner the following season with London, he amassed 145 points for the OHL scoring title and combined with Gagner and Kostitsyn for 394 points.[3]

Kane and the Knights finished the post-season by losing in the OHL's Western Conference final to the Plymouth Whalers in a 4-1 best of 7 series. He finished his postseason with 10 goals and 21 assists for a total of 31 points in 16 games.

On April 27, 2007, Kane was announced as the winner of the Emms Family Award for the OHL rookie of the year.[4] He was also named runner-up to John Tavares for the Red Tilson Trophy as league MVP.[5]

hard to take an article all that seriously when it suggests that Michael Orozco should have had a bigger role. Dude is horrible.

The guy makes some good points, but overall it's just more of the same -- people's expectations of the US are out of whack.

I think you can make the case that we're roughly the same team now that we have been for awhile, and that part of what makes us a mid-pack World Cup team is incredibly unsexy and hard to appreciate, but we're certainly not worse than we have been.

Taking the next step is going to be really hard even in the next 25 years -- expecting it to have happened in the ten just past is unrealistic.

Also, why would we want to stop chasing dual citizens?

I am a Klinsmann fan - but for me, I think it was a mistake to play Bradley up top - I know that Beckerman did a good job in the back of the midfield, but I think we would have been better served with Bradley in the back, and someone with better ball control up top - whether that was Mix or even Donovan.

And, not to beat a dead horse, but not having a back-up for Jozy put us in a world of hurt - mostly because it forced us into changing tactics, and we needed one more midfielder in the mix - with Zusi and Bedoya we had two guys who are more defensive than creative in the run of play.. In retrospect, I think Klinsmann should have decided to either bring a true back-up for Jozy - or brought an extra midfielder instead of Wondo. (Or - started Yedlin at midfield.) Something to give the team chance at an offensive threat.

I am a Klinsmann fan - but for me, I think it was a mistake to play Bradley up top - I know that Beckerman did a good job in the back of the midfield, but I think we would have been better served with Bradley in the back, and someone with better ball control up top - whether that was Mix or even Donovan.

And, not to beat a dead horse, but not having a back-up for Jozy put us in a world of hurt - mostly because it forced us into changing tactics, and we needed one more midfielder in the mix - with Zusi and Bedoya we had two guys who are more defensive than creative in the run of play.. In retrospect, I think Klinsmann should have decided to either bring a true back-up for Jozy - or brought an extra midfielder instead of Wondo. (Or - started Yedlin at midfield.) Something to give the team chance at an offensive threat.
I don't know that there's anybody with better ball control than Bradley- honestly. He just didn't have it enough in the 4 games. In the games leading up to the WC, I think we all were pretty jazzed at getting him forward- I haven't seen Mix or anybody else do more than him in an attacking sense.

Yeah- not bringing EJ, to me (and lots of others) was a mistake. Wondo getting the spot felt like giving the fat kid a trophy for doing his best- good player, don't get me wrong- but just can't do the things on the field that EJ does, particularly as a like-for-like with Jozy (as close as we've got). Plus, JK had been using EJ in the MF, so he had a bit of range (according to JK at least).

No backup for Jozy was a mistake. Bringing Brad Davis was a mistake. EJ would have been the better call up (which some folks here said beforehand).

But everyone on planet USMNT wanted to see Bradley further forward and Beckerman was awesome in the deep role. So I think that's MMQBing.

The column says that Klinsmann was too inexperienced at the club level but then goes on to tout Tab Ramos who has even less experience.

The column says that Klinsmann was too inexperienced at the club level but then goes on to tout Tab Ramos who has even less experience.
Hope I can break out my #1 Fan of Tab Ramos alias for the 2022 WC
I say it all the time, but IMO, still the best player the US has ever produced. (sorry LD).

I hope his coaching abilities are anything near his playing abilities.

I say it all the time, but IMO, still the best player the US has ever produced. (sorry LD).

Watched his u20 team last year at the Toulon Tournament and thought they looked okay. Got outclassed by France, held their own against Colombia by taking a first half lead before giving up two and then went on to beat Congo. I thought they did well overall given the two tough teams they had to play

Both Dempsey and Yedlin return to practice this week. Both are available for the Seattle Portland game Sunday night on ESPN2.

I will put a reminder in here for that game just after the WC final on Sunday is over.

The Gator said:
El Floppo said:
The Gator said:
Eephus said:

Watched his u20 team last year at the Toulon Tournament and thought they looked okay. Got outclassed by France, held their own against Colombia by taking a first half lead before giving up two and then went on to beat Congo. I thought they did well overall given the two tough teams they had to play
for andy and me (and the other geezers in here), it's astonishing that we can now watch our team any team we want... let alone our u20 team, or u17....

So does the Yedlin to Roma thing have any legs? If he's got a good head on his shudders it could be a great move for him.
Seltzer is reporting it. He's very rarely wrong on this stuff. He's also reporting that In addition to the loan back for this season, he'd likely be loaned within Serie A for 2015. But I'm not sure that takes into account Yedlin's apparent ability to get a Latvian passport.

So does the Yedlin to Roma thing have any legs? If he's got a good head on his shudders it could be a great move for him.
Seltzer is reporting it. He's very rarely wrong on this stuff. He's also reporting that In addition to the loan back for this season, he'd likely be loaned within Serie A for 2015. But I'm not sure that takes into account Yedlin's apparent ability to get a Latvian passport.
It is being widely reported through the US and Italy but nothing official yet. Certainly seems like it is close to done.

One item no one seems to agree on is when he will go. Half the articles say this winter and half say next summer (which I think would be better for him to go right after the Gold Cup)

Many of the articles make it seem like he is being purchased immediately and then being loaned back to Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread