What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (18 Viewers)

Is it too late to get Diego Fagundez U.S. Citizenship?
No.

He is in the early stages right now. He got his green card last year.

If he does not get married, it will take another 4 years.

2 issues are if Uruguay comes calling in the mean time or if he moves over seas. People say this should not screw up his residency but I am unaware of how it works.

Starters

Brad Guzan GK
Timmy Chandler D
Matt Besler D
Omar Gonzalez D
Fabian Johnson D
Michael Bradley MF
Julian Green MF
DeAndre Yedlin MF
Mix Diskerud MF
Aron Johansson F
Jozy Altidore F

RESERVES POS.
Terrence Boyd F
Juan Agudelo F
Luis Gil MF
Gedion Zelalem MF
Graham Zusi MF
Danny Williams MF
Chris Klute D

John Anthony Brooks D
Erik Palmer-Brown D
Geoff Cameron D
Cody Cropper GK
Sean Johnson GK

Pure guess as to which "starters" won't be starting and which reserves won't be in the 23.

For people who want to follow US players but simply don't have the time to watch games or find highlights there are various resources for you.

Specifically if you enjoy a statistical reading on a game there are two good sites.

1) Stats Zone is based on the incredible Opta stat system which tracks every touch of a ball. In one picture you can get a good feel for what an individual player did in the game. Here is an example for Bradley against Belgium

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/4-2013/matches/731822/player-stats/37368/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

You can use this site to follow many of the US players during their club games

2) Who Scored is a fun site because they use a formula to rate out players for every game. For example here is Fabian Johnson's main page. You can click on a ton of items for more detailed information

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/30577/Show/Fabian-Johnson

if you enjoy stats, bookmark both of these sites and check in on Mondays to see how your favorite players did in their club games over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing I will do for people.

There are multiple sites online that compile short capsules for all "yanks abroad" and how they fared in their latest games. I will try and post those when ever I see them when the club season starts up.

MLS is not included since it is no issue finding detailed information about MLS players.

Geez I was worried about this thread having legs too. :D
I would change the name of the thread to be more generic since I think this is going to be a very active thread tracking US players going forward.

It will go well beyond a post mortem I think.

Another newb question. Whatever happened to that kid that was supposed to be the next Pele. Signed to play MLS at 14 or 15 if I recall?

Starters

Brad Guzan GK

Timmy Chandler D

Matt Besler D

Omar Gonzalez D

Fabian Johnson D

Michael Bradley MF

Julian Green MF

DeAndre Yedlin MF

Mix Diskerud MF

Aron Johansson F

Jozy Altidore F

RESERVES POS.

Terrence Boyd F

Juan Agudelo F

Luis Gil MF

Gedion Zelalem MF

Graham Zusi MF

Danny Williams MF

Chris Klute D

John Anthony Brooks D

Erik Palmer-Brown D

Geoff Cameron D

Cody Cropper GK

Sean Johnson GK

Pure guess as to which "starters" won't be starting and which reserves won't be in the 23.
who do you see starting along side Besler? I know it is hard to predict, just wondering. Note that JK does not like to start two left footed or two right footed CB's if he does not absolutely have to.

you deleted all the keepers :)

After Guzan, I am at a loss for which other two keepers will be around. Neither Johnson nor Hamid made the next step in their careers that some of us hoped for.

Another newb question. Whatever happened to that kid that was supposed to be the next Pele. Signed to play MLS at 14 or 15 if I recall?
Freddy Adu.

He is 25 now, has played for 9 clubs and is currently not on any team but is training with Bob Bradley's team in Norway.

The next US National Team game is September 3rd.

The US will travel and play the Czech Republic who are ranked 34th in the world right now.

With the game being in Europe, this will likely be a heavy Euro roster and light on MLS and Liga MX players. This may give a look at some different players right off the bat.

Starters

Brad Guzan GK

Timmy Chandler D

Matt Besler D

Omar Gonzalez D

Fabian Johnson D

Michael Bradley MF

Julian Green MF

DeAndre Yedlin MF

Mix Diskerud MF

Aron Johansson F

Jozy Altidore F

RESERVES POS.

Terrence Boyd F

Juan Agudelo F

Luis Gil MF

Gedion Zelalem MF

Graham Zusi MF

Danny Williams MF

Chris Klute D

John Anthony Brooks D

Erik Palmer-Brown D

Geoff Cameron D

Cody Cropper GK

Sean Johnson GK

who do you see starting along side Besler? I know it is hard to predict, just wondering. Note that JK does not like to start two left footed or two right footed CB's if he does not absolutely have to.

After Guzan, I am at a loss for which other two keepers will be around. Neither Johnson nor Hamid made the next step in their careers that some of us hoped for.
No idea... based on the turnover from the last cycle l just assumed that only our better players plus the guys people rave about would actually be around in four years. Pure guess.

Starters

Brad Guzan GK

Timmy Chandler D

Matt Besler D

Omar Gonzalez D

Fabian Johnson D

Michael Bradley MF

Julian Green MF

DeAndre Yedlin MF

Mix Diskerud MF

Aron Johansson F

Jozy Altidore F

RESERVES POS.

Terrence Boyd F

Juan Agudelo F

Luis Gil MF

Gedion Zelalem MF

Graham Zusi MF

Danny Williams MF

Chris Klute D

John Anthony Brooks D

Erik Palmer-Brown D

Geoff Cameron D

Cody Cropper GK

Sean Johnson GK

No idea... based on the turnover from the last cycle l just assumed that only our better players plus the guys people rave about would actually be around in four years. Pure guess.
I think Guzan is one of our better players - not someone who is simply filling space.

I don't know who is behind him in the pecking order though. I know Cropper was invited to the camp at Stanford to be a camp body while Howard was not there. But beyond that little tidbit, I don't know where he or any other keeper stand.

Starters

Brad Guzan GK

Timmy Chandler D

Matt Besler D

Omar Gonzalez D

Fabian Johnson D

Michael Bradley MF

Julian Green MF

DeAndre Yedlin MF

Mix Diskerud MF

Aron Johansson F

Jozy Altidore F

RESERVES POS.

Terrence Boyd F

Juan Agudelo F

Luis Gil MF

Gedion Zelalem MF

Graham Zusi MF

Danny Williams MF

Chris Klute D

John Anthony Brooks D

Erik Palmer-Brown D

Geoff Cameron D

Cody Cropper GK

Sean Johnson GK

I think Guzan is one of our better players - not someone who is simply filling space.

I don't know who is behind him in the pecking order though. I know Cropper was invited to the camp at Stanford to be a camp body while Howard was not there. But beyond that little tidbit, I don't know where he or any other keeper stand.
If I exed out a starter it just meant I was (pure) guessing he would start in 2018 -- could still be on the squad.

So is LD done on the usmnt?
Normally they might bring him back for a sendoff game or tribute or something like that, but given how things are with JK I'm not 100% sure about that. But he's done as a regular player.
That'll be buried by next year IMO. LD isn't going to pass up that opportunity just because he holds a grudge against Jurgen.

So is LD done on the usmnt?
Normally they might bring him back for a sendoff game or tribute or something like that, but given how things are with JK I'm not 100% sure about that. But he's done as a regular player.
That'll be buried by next year IMO.
I have read articles that postulate the problem started all the way back in 2009 when JK signed Landon over the winter at Bayern and Landon had another bout of homesickness making JK look stupid for the signing.

Not sure how much truth it had but it is interesting that this could go much deeper than Landon just taking a sabbatical.

I think Landon and JK are as different as two athletes could ever be.

I really don't put much stock in the 2018 roster projections. Players always end up coming out of nowhere, injuries and form play a huge factor, etc.

If you'd have told me at the end of the 2010 Cup that Matt Besler would be the team's best CB and that Tim Ream would be a total afterthought at the position, I'd have called you crazy. Hell, I'd probably never even heard of Besler. He wasn't capped by the nats until January 2013. Same thing with Kyle Beckerman....who's going to envision a career-MLS player, 28 years old with 12 caps (his stats as of 2010) having a total renaissance and becoming a crucial part of the team? I'm pretty sure if you sift way way back into the soccer thread, 2009-2010ish, you'll find some pretty disparaging remarks I made about how Beckerman was a B-team nobody. I feel pretty foolish about those comment right about now.

Copied from another thread...

What do you guys think about Yedlin moving to a European team vs starting at Seattle where he's grown up?

I understand that Yedlin would be best served getting a starting slot some place, but my concern is that he won't develop the defending skills necessary to be a top level fullback if he doesn't face better technical wingers and inside forwards than those in the MLS.

He got his hips turned once or twice in the Belgium game and he wasn't effective at tackling to dispossess one on one. Watch Juanfran or (and I feel yucky for saying this) Marcelo and you'll see that they pick their overlapping runs well, and tackle like monsters when needed. I doubt that Yedlin will develop the ball skills to be a menace inside like Marcelo, but he's if he can pair his speed and quickness with defensive awareness and tackling skills, he'll be dynamite at right back.

I think Yedlin needs at least one more year in MLS before he goes overseas. I think the WC gives him some extra confidence, he dominates in MLS and then sets himself up for a nice move.

He's only been a pro for 18 months and he's too young to risk ended up on some club's bench. Lack of PT would be a disaster at this point.

Yeah, it is too early for Yedlin imo as well.

The risk/reward for going to Europe is too great at his age. He has just started his pro career, one or two more years will be very good for him in MLS.

If he can find a regular spot in one of the top 4-5 leagues then go for it, else sitting on the bench or playing in an average team in Holland won't see his development advance any faster.

You would think after the WC MLS players had across multiple countries, that some of the old stigma would be wiped away but I guess biases can die hard and it will probably take another decade before people realize that.

Yeldin isngetting paid 91k. He's as good as gone.
His salary has nothing to do with it per say.

It is his transfer fee which will control when he goes. I am sure Seattle is going to set a huge price for him, relative to other Americans (because of age and because of his now elevated worth on the worlds stage).

If some one pays it then he is gone but that is not what we are discussing. We are talking about what is good for his development, not his wallet.

Yedlin was Seattle first home grown player. His transfer fee could pay for more years of developing players. It is a great sign if someone wants to grab him.

Ream went for about $3m but did not have the age or the exposure Yedlin just got so I could see Seattle asking for anything in the 5-7 million range.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Doug B said:
OK, credit to guys for not using the normal ludicrous examples (LeBron James! Calvin Johnson) and at least picking guys who seem somewhat plausible as soccer athletes.
Although ... does anyone remember ESPN a few seasons back showing "catch radius" for different WRs? IIRC, the upshot was that any ball within 7 feet of Megatron (it was 80-something inches) was in his "catch window".

Had Calvin Johnson started out as a goalie in elementary school, and stayed there from then on ... that natural "catch radius" should have helped, right? But again, this discussion sounds a lot like the "Michael Jordan as a goalie" stuff -- and I'd bet prime MJ's short-area quicks were a lot better than Calvin Johnson's.
You know how running backs tend to be something like 5'10" to 6'1"? How an inch one or two either way is a pretty big outlier? Its similar with goalies. There's a bit more variation, but they tend to be around 6'3" (Casillas is 6'1", Courtois is 6'6"). Too short and you probably have too small a "save radius", but too tall and you probably leave more room between your legs and sacrifice your ability to get down quickly.

So maybe one of those guys would have been great goalkeepers, but I kind of doubt it because the great goalkeepers now just don't look like they do.
If you're talking just height (ie. they're all too tall), I'll give that to you. But I think when we're talking about a hypothetical Lebron James or Calvin Johnson in soccer you make the assumption that he's not nearly as bulked up. Imagine a ~180lb Adrian Peterson that had spent his whole life wanting to be a world class soccer player. Feel like he'd have to have been a solid striker.

Doug B said:
OK, credit to guys for not using the normal ludicrous examples (LeBron James! Calvin Johnson) and at least picking guys who seem somewhat plausible as soccer athletes.
Although ... does anyone remember ESPN a few seasons back showing "catch radius" for different WRs? IIRC, the upshot was that any ball within 7 feet of Megatron (it was 80-something inches) was in his "catch window".

Had Calvin Johnson started out as a goalie in elementary school, and stayed there from then on ... that natural "catch radius" should have helped, right? But again, this discussion sounds a lot like the "Michael Jordan as a goalie" stuff -- and I'd bet prime MJ's short-area quicks were a lot better than Calvin Johnson's.
You know how running backs tend to be something like 5'10" to 6'1"? How an inch one or two either way is a pretty big outlier? Its similar with goalies. There's a bit more variation, but they tend to be around 6'3" (Casillas is 6'1", Courtois is 6'6"). Too short and you probably have too small a "save radius", but too tall and you probably leave more room between your legs and sacrifice your ability to get down quickly.

So maybe one of those guys would have been great goalkeepers, but I kind of doubt it because the great goalkeepers now just don't look like they do.
If you're talking just height (ie. they're all too tall), I'll give that to you. But I think when we're talking about a hypothetical Lebron James or Calvin Johnson in soccer you make the assumption that he's not nearly as bulked up. Imagine a ~180lb Adrian Peterson that had spent his whole life wanting to be a world class soccer player. Feel like he'd have to have been a solid striker.
Peterson is a perfect height for soccer at 6'1". Even his weight at 215 would be fine with his speed.

Thats smaller and probably lighter than Romalu Lukaku for Belgium.

Doug B said:

I know I'm on the minority side of the argument, but one of these 6'6" weighing in at 210-230 with 4.4 speed and some insane vertical jump would be devastating up top. Seems like winning headers on corner kickers would be much easier if you can get a foot plus above everyone else and you're so big the defenders can't push you around.

It is his transfer fee which will control when he goes. I am sure Seattle is going to set a huge price for him, relative to other Americans (because of age and because of his now elevated worth on the worlds stage).

If some one pays it then he is gone but that is not what we are discussing. We are talking about what is good for his development, not his wallet.

Yedlin was Seattle first home grown player. His transfer fee could pay for more years of developing players. It is a great sign if someone wants to grab him.

Ream went for about $3m but did not have the age or the exposure Yedlin just got so I could see Seattle asking for anything in the 5-7 million range.
Can you please explain this transfer fee deal? How long does a club own the rights to a player? I have other questions but will let you start there.

I know I'm on the minority side of the argument, but one of these 6'6" weighing in at 210-230 with 4.4 speed and some insane vertical jump would be devastating up top. Seems like winning headers on corner kickers would be much easier if you can get a foot plus above everyone else and you're so big the defenders can't push you around.
Hmmm, has anyone actually tried this? I don't see why it wouldn't work, except that maybe the tall guy would be too much of a liability in the other aspects of the game. If you taught Shaq how to direct a header, how is any team going to stop him on corner kicks?

Doug B said:

Germany already has this in Mertesacker. Well, except for the 4.4 speed as I think he only ran a 4.48, but close enough.

Hmmm, has anyone actually tried this? I don't see why it wouldn't work, except that maybe the tall guy would be too much of a liability in the other aspects of the game. If you taught Shaq how to direct a header, how is any team going to stop him on corner kicks?
Peter Crouch is a beanpole, but also a very useful soccer player at 6'8" tall. IIRC his strike rate for England crushes all of his contemporaries.

Can you please explain this transfer fee deal? How long does a club own the rights to a player? I have other questions but will let you start there.
Clubs own the rights to a player for as long as he's under contract with them.

Effectively there's little or no "trading" in soccer -- almost everything is cash.

So if a team wants to sell a player they find someone willing to pay the transfer fee and then the buying team has to come to an agreement on salary directly with the player.

There are exceptions (Barcelona is considering ~45m cash + Alexis Sanchez to Liverpool for Luis Suarez right now), but even then it's couched in total transfer fee terms (45m + 35m for Sanchez = 80m).

Will the perception of the performance of the USMNT in the World Cup change if Germany plays Belgium in the finals?

Crouchy actually isn't that useful on corner kicks. He's most useful knocking the ball down on long punts. And there have been other very tall strikers in the past. None have been unstoppable. There are times when Andy Carroll (6'3" but jumps like a salmon) can look unplayable. There are times when he looks awful. The biggest problem with these types of players is that they make the play very predictable. If you put Shaq in on a corner kick every body knows where its going to go.

Ibra is probably the greatest "tall" striker of all time (he's 6'5"). He's good in the air, but its the other stuff that makes him great.

His salary has nothing to do with it per say.It is his transfer fee which will control when he goes. I am sure Seattle is going to set a huge price for him, relative to other Americans (because of age and because of his now elevated worth on the worlds stage).If some one pays it then he is gone but that is not what we are discussing. We are talking about what is good for his development, not his wallet. Yedlin was Seattle first home grown player. His transfer fee could pay for more years of developing players. It is a great sign if someone wants to grab him. Ream went for about $3m but did not have the age or the exposure Yedlin just got so I could see Seattle asking for anything in the 5-7 million range.
Clubs own the rights to a player for as long as he's under contract with them. Effectively there's little or no "trading" in soccer -- almost everything is cash. So if a team wants to sell a player they find someone willing to pay the transfer fee and then the buying team has to come to an agreement on salary directly with the player. There are exceptions (Barcelona is considering ~45m cash + Alexis Sanchez to Liverpool for Luis Suarez right now), but even then it's couched in total transfer fee terms (45m + 35m for Sanchez = 80m).
And to answer his question of how long they control the player, it is similar to other sports.

The player signs a contract with the team for X amount of years. If the player completes the contract for the X years, he affectively becomes a free agent and he can move where ever he wants with no transfer fee attached.

Will the perception of the performance of the USMNT in the World Cup change if Germany plays Belgium in the finals?
Not for most fans I don't think. Maybe for a minor few who think that the US failed when being huge underdogs but even those extreme positions probably won't change.

His salary has nothing to do with it per say.It is his transfer fee which will control when he goes. I am sure Seattle is going to set a huge price for him, relative to other Americans (because of age and because of his now elevated worth on the worlds stage).If some one pays it then he is gone but that is not what we are discussing. We are talking about what is good for his development, not his wallet. Yedlin was Seattle first home grown player. His transfer fee could pay for more years of developing players. It is a great sign if someone wants to grab him. Ream went for about $3m but did not have the age or the exposure Yedlin just got so I could see Seattle asking for anything in the 5-7 million range.
Clubs own the rights to a player for as long as he's under contract with them. Effectively there's little or no "trading" in soccer -- almost everything is cash. So if a team wants to sell a player they find someone willing to pay the transfer fee and then the buying team has to come to an agreement on salary directly with the player. There are exceptions (Barcelona is considering ~45m cash + Alexis Sanchez to Liverpool for Luis Suarez right now), but even then it's couched in total transfer fee terms (45m + 35m for Sanchez = 80m).
And to answer his question of how long they control the player, it is similar to other sports.

The player signs a contract with the team for X amount of years. If the player completes the contract for the X years, he affectively becomes a free agent and he can move where ever he wants with no transfer fee attached.
For some more nerdy reading pertaining to European players - Bosman ruling.

Crouchy actually isn't that useful on corner kicks. He's most useful knocking the ball down on long punts. And there have been other very tall strikers in the past. None have been unstoppable. There are times when Andy Carroll (6'3" but jumps like a salmon) can look unplayable. There are times when he looks awful. The biggest problem with these types of players is that they make the play very predictable. If you put Shaq in on a corner kick every body knows where its going to go.

Ibra is probably the greatest "tall" striker of all time (he's 6'5"). He's good in the air, but its the other stuff that makes him great.
Jan Koller was a pretty good striker, at least against the US. I think he was about 6-7.

Well all I can say is that there are tall people all over the world and if this would have worked to any degree, someone would have tried it by now with a seven footer.

Tallest I can remember was Jan Koller.

Users who are viewing this thread