What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

Nobody read that Freddy thread I linked on ESPN?
The idea that Freddy is just now realizing that his fitness was an issue is both amazing and hysterical to me.  I think I said he should take a year off to get in the best shape of his life when he was 22. I can’t imagine how many coaches must have told him that. 

I read it.  It was painful but we knew a lot of it already.

Wynalda was a bit harsh I thought but my guess is every coach felt that way.

The idea that Freddy is just now realizing that his fitness was an issue is both amazing and hysterical to me.  I think I said he should take a year off to get in the best shape of his life when he was 22. I can’t imagine how many coaches must have told him that. 
I found the whole thing sad. but yeah, we all knew/inferred what was going on... just found it interesting to hear from his mouth, and from those around him- especially the guy who "discovered" him being aware that freddy relied on his skills to not have to work. I liked hearing from the coaches, including wyno- all obvious stuff, but good to finally hear it.

and the work rate thing... I'll still never forget his u-whatevr world cup (with Jozy) that he just owned, even against Brazil. seemed like he was everywhere there... so must have known how to put in the effort, at least back then. 

Zardes reminds me of Danny Welbeck.  A guy that runs and works hard, has some moments, but at the end of the day isn't clinical enough to play in the preferred striker position.  Decent squad player, but shouldn't be your starter...

thanks

Good article. Might not be a bad read for anyone looking to get to the MLS or further.

And crazy he is only 30.  
feels like this should be read to Andrew Carleton every night as a bed time story :(

It is really hard to hear Frank DeBeor say things like "he will be a great player once he starts taking things seriously" :(

good stuff as always.   From memory they all relatively matched my own assessment except for Arriola.  It is useful that you sit down and watch again like you do.  It helps uncover issues our brains filter out while watching.
...interesting to see like that. Fwiw I mentioned earlier below that nips was wasteful. Didn't realize he was that wasteful

Newest round of +/- Grades on the US-Guyana game last night for anyone interested in reading. 

El Floppo said:
and tbh, Nips did do all the things we discussed wanting him to do... but for as many opportunities as he had, he was wasteful too much with a lot of solid chances at goal or with the final ball.

El Floppo said:
agreed. I kept thinking what the US would have looked like with Jozy in there last night- a player who not only doesn't lose every touch tot he other team, but actually does stuff with them. zardoz has his moments- and I like him when he does... great runs, electric, good nose eye for goal and awareness of his teammates. but googly moogly... he had nothing going last night- and you could see it in his face that he knew absotutely nothing was working for him...credit to him for keeping the work-rate up, at least.

I know the world outside has, but has anybody here suggested there's somebody better than Jozy? 
Fixed

And I can safely say I don't ever want to see him play again.  In a game where everyone should've looked a notch better than they normally do due to the opponent, he had arguably his worst game ever.  

this may or may not be timely but with everyone (except maybe Berhalter) tired of seeing Zardes get so many chances, there might be a short term alternative.

One of the players none of us have seen play but we talked about a bit in here was Andrew Wooten from Germany (Bundie 2).   His club team announced today that he is moving to MLS.  A friend of his commented that it might be in Philly.

Where ever he lands it should give him a ton more visibility in case he does well and maybe gives Berhalter a choice beyond Zardes when Jozy is not 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed

And I can safely say I don't ever want to see him play again.  In a game where everyone should've looked a notch better than they normally do due to the opponent, he had arguably his worst game ever.  
You're absolutely right. 

I like the best that I've seen from him... As mentioned above. An undervalued part of his game is the tireless defensive work he does up front- really top notch.

But I don't remember seeing his best for a while. and his not-best is grim....at best.

But I think it's him or Morris at this point if Jozys not helathy  good thing GG left Sargent off the roster.

Looks like Alex Mendez got promoted to Frieberg's U23 team.  He is still age eligible for the U19's.  This should be perfect for Alex to see if he can handle the physical side of the game.  Unlike most American's he does not need help technically.

this may or may not be timely but with everyone (except maybe Berhalter) tired of seeing Zardes get so many chances, there might be a short term alternative.

One of the players none of us have seen play but we talked about a bit in here was Andrew Wooten from Germany (Bundie 2).   His club team announced today that he is moving to MLS.  A friend of his commented that it might be in Philly.

Where ever he lands it should give him a ton more visibility in case he does well and maybe gives Berhalter a choice beyond Zardes when Jozy is not 100%.
Interesting.  There was chatter last week about this and it seemed that Chicago was the landing spot for him, not Philly.

I'll do some poking around...

Interesting.  There was chatter last week about this and it seemed that Chicago was the landing spot for him, not Philly.

I'll do some poking around...
I had heard Chicago as well but it looks more and more like Philly now.  This is from a Union beat writer today

Joe Tansey‏ @JTansey90

Based off everything I've been hearing over the last couple days, the Union are the team in on Andrew Wooten. The deal is not officially done, but it is close.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
The Toffee Blues‏ @EvertonNewsFeed

Wigan Athletic have apparently made a £1.9M bid for left back Antonee Robinson. Robinson spent last season on loan at Wigan. Everton are said to be considering the offer

I’d rather Pulisic skip the GC knock out games if it gives him a leg up for playing time at Chelsea.  In the long run  That  would  be way more beneficial For him but could mean an embarrassing end for the USMNT

I’d rather Pulisic skip the GC knock out games if it gives him a leg up for playing time at Chelsea.  In the long run  That  would  be way more beneficial For him but could mean an embarrassing end for the USMNT
Unless I read it wrong, it has nothing to do with missing the Gold Cup.  It relates to whether he is going to take a vacation after the Gold Cup.   

I hope he does not take the vacation.  He had time off before the Gold Cup and Berhalter has said he has already talked to Chelsea about managing his minutes.  If they win against T&T I would not be surprised to see him sit out the entire Panama game.

I am not sure whether an extra week means anything but with a brand new coach who may or may not have any interest in Pulisic, it can't hurt that he arrives shortly after the Gold Cup ends.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
:popcorn: :popcorn:

3rd Degree‏ @3rdDegreeNet

Received several reports Ricardo Pepi was seen yesterday at Toyota Stadium in glass conference room w/ family & Dan Hunt. Typically this is a contract signing type meeting.

scuffed‏ @zlebmada

I asked NTX coach Eric Quill yesterday how far Pepi is from a first team contract. "He's not far, I'll just say that." And then he chuckled.
FC Dallas ink forward Ricardo Pepi to Homegrown contract

good stuff as always.   From memory they all relatively matched my own assessment except for Arriola.  It is useful that you sit down and watch again like you do.  It helps uncover issues our brains filter out while watching.
I’ve always been lower on Arriola than this thread.

What exactly does he do well?

Weah might be just a year away as well.  

Weah might be just a year away as well.  
Yeah, that is why I said this may only be a short term alternative.

I think Weah will be good on the wing or in a two striker set up.  I am unsure how he would function in a single striker setup.  I don't think that role suits his skill set.

Yeah, that is why I said this may only be a short term alternative.

I think Weah will be good on the wing or in a two striker set up.  I am unsure how he would function in a single striker setup.  I don't think that role suits his skill set.
Totally agreed, he’ll never be a lone striker 

Is Bobby Wood toast?  He had a consistent stretch for us and should be on the right side of 30?
He had a season that defined nightmare last year.  From reading, his team, which was relegated, does not want him any more, nor have any other teams shown interest.

As Scooby mentioned a couple of weeks ago, he would have to lower his salary SIGNIFICANTLY, and then maybe an MLS team might take a flyer.

He had a season that defined nightmare last year.  From reading, his team, which was relegated, does not want him any more, nor have any other teams shown interest.

As Scooby mentioned a couple of weeks ago, he would have to lower his salary SIGNIFICANTLY, and then maybe an MLS team might take a flyer.
Wow, that devolved fast.  I wonder what happened.  

For those that did not read the Pepi article, he is now the first Dallas player ever to start in the academy, sign for the USL team, and then move on to the main team.

If he spends ~4 years at FC Dallas and then moves to Europe at 20(with hopefully a transfer fee), it would become a blue print for how we want to see it happen in numerous cases.

USMNT Only‏ @usmntonly 55m55 minutes ago

Emmanuel Sabbi's agent says there has been interest from clubs in Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Hungary and Sweden for the 21-year-old attacker, including clubs playing in European tournaments

Users who are viewing this thread