What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (18 Viewers)

Fans are rough. Capella saying terrible, others saying worse. 

If you were to catalog high percentage chances it would be something like 5-2 USA. 

Granted they didn’t finish them, obviously, but that’s a game they were very close to winning. 

Hopefully this fall, we can start the integration of Weah and Pomykal, two players I think are going to give the team a boost, especially off the bench.

The other frustrating thing is that the US continues to play to the competition. Tonight they actually played well for stretches against a good team - and these were efforts that were missing against Curacao , TnT, and Panama. They need to find a way to get past these garbage teams in CONCACAF and qualify without an issue.

Fans are rough. Capella saying terrible, others saying worse. 

If you were to catalog high percentage chances it would be something like 5-2 USA. 

Granted they didn’t finish them, obviously, but that’s a game they were very close to winning. 
It’s just the same crap going on forever now. Nothing gets better, they are constantly in neutral or worse, they’ll never win anything in any of our lifetimes, just seems pointless. Pulisic is awesome, he should ask for a transfer or something. 

The team had as good a Gold Cup as we could have hoped for coming into it.  There were some people who said the US would not even get out of the group based on how bad they looked in the friendlies before the Gold Cup.   Mexico were the favorite coming in and they won it.   

The US gave up 2 goals in 6 games played, and won 5 of them.  That is pretty much the opposite of terrible.

As I said, lots to build on, lots to improve on.  Pretty much what you would expect.

Had the US knocked in 1 or 2 of the many chances they created, it would not have changed my general opinion.

I'm not sure why Ream is getting called out - he wasn't the turnover machine that the midfield turned into - Bradley especially. Ream was hung out to dry a lot in that second half covering for the turnovers.

So Mexico is basically missing Chicarito, Herrera, Layun and Vela (all over 30)  along with Corona and Lozano.

US missing Adams, Brooks, Yedlin and Holmes. Probably could have brought a couple of younger guys (Sargent, Weah,) who might have been upgrades over the bench attacking guys that went in there instead.

But yeah, they're still better than us. Lets see where we are 2 years from now during the meat of qualifying. Hopefully at that point, our big 3 has had some time to develop and play together.

Brooks, Adams, Yedlin and Holmes would all be important parts of the team.  Many of the Mexican players who were missing, are on the wrong side of 30 and will be shortly removed from the program.

I don't know if Vela is ever going to play for Mexico again so I am not even sure he needs to be in the picture any more.  In terms of young players who will effect this cycle, the teams were missing relatively the same amount (Mexico maybe 1 or 2 more).
Sounds like Vela is out.

Yedlin doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

I liked the little I saw of Holmes, but saw some stuff that gave a little concern (tbh, decision making, which could've been tactically driven as a sub). But I haven't seen enough to put faith in him or even know how he'd fit in. Struck me as a talented championship player.

Really wonder why Boyd completely disappeared. Do you think it was that one awful game? I mean zardoz is given awful game after awful game and keeps on trucking w GG

This is twice in two games teams have adjusted away from Cannon.
yeah that is a good point.

Stu focused on this in the first saying it was Cannon getting up the field that was causing Pizarro's game to be off because he had to keep tracking back.

Once Tata saw that Ream was anchored defensively, he likely made the switch figuring there would be no need for Pizarro to play defensively, and it worked perfectly.

I understand the question of "well, who do you put in for Bradley".

But I don't care anymore. Put in anyone. Adjust the shape and formation. Anything. He's a complete liability out there. He needs players to cover for him. Nothing he does offensively makes up for that.

I can't watch the team anymore with him out there. It makes me so angry.

It’s just the same crap going on forever now. Nothing gets better, they are constantly in neutral or worse, they’ll never win anything in any of our lifetimes, just seems pointless. Pulisic is awesome, he should ask for a transfer or something. 
For once they're playing to expectations.  They beat teams they should beat and played Mexico well for a half before losing.

Not sure what you expected tonight or what your expectations were for the Gold Cup in general.

Some frustration tonight for sure. But some young players got some quality minutes.

Really wonder why Boyd completely disappeared. Do you think it was that one awful game? I mean zardoz is given awful game after awful game and keeps on trucking w GG

I can't explain this one.

Roldan plays in between and 8 and a 6 at Seattle.  He has no real skills as a winger.  I thought Boyd was for sure going to be the sub for Morris.

I understand the question of "well, who do you put in for Bradley".

But I don't care anymore. Put in anyone. Adjust the shape and formation. Anything. He's a complete liability out there. He needs players to cover for him. Nothing he does offensively makes up for that.

I can't watch the team anymore with him out there. It makes me so angry.
Which to leads to next question- Is Berholder the guy? 

But some young players got some quality minutes.
This is what I focus on.  It is going to be a long cycle.  Our best players are our young players (Pulisic, Adams and Weston).   The U20's looked really good in the WC this summer and a couple of those guys are very likely to make the jump sooner rather than later.

We desperately need a LB to emerge (yeah I know, 30 years and running) and need another striker to step up.  Jozy is a good player until his body breaks down every game.  The drop off to Zardes is too big.

While today's substitutions open a crack in the door - I really have enjoyed the "no drama" aspects heading into this summer
The head scratcher is Boyd.  He was one of the US's best players in the first two games he played, then played a poor game and never got on the field again.

Of course the other annoying thing was the Sargent screw up.  He should have been on this team over Mihailovic, especially if Berhalter knew Jozy had limited minutes in him.

But over all Berhalter is no different than the team itself.  Some stuff to like, some stuff to improve on.

How he handles Adams this fall is going to be important to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
For once they're playing to expectations.  They beat teams they should beat and played Mexico well for a half before losing.

Not sure what you expected tonight or what your expectations were for the Gold Cup in general.

Some frustration tonight for sure. But some young players got some quality minutes.
Honestly I think it’s typical of US soccer fans. Look at the results and not at the game 

Honestly I think it’s typical of US soccer fans. Look at the results and not at the game 
it is probably true of many fans no matter where you go.   If Mexico had lost tonight, the "fire Tata" brigade would have begun in earnest.

You will find it is more common in fans who do not live and die with the team, following it in depth.  As such, it is very easy to become results oriented.

Personally I don't see how any one can look at the Gold Cup performance and think too far in either direction, good or bad.  The US is clearly in a transitional mode right now and we could see easily 50% different team by the time qualifying gets going.

you put in arguably the second best player in the entire program.   Case closed.

If Berhalter overthinks this, it is going to drive me crazy.
No more false RB. Tia.

It does seem obvious.

I actually liked the 3-6-1 they played tonight until the pizarro switch. Ream too slow for it...but miazga, Brooks and long could look good if long can play on the left.

This. Pulisic is clearly a special player. The rest of the talent pool is all hype and false hope. And somehow we still have Bradley running all over the field in slow motion.

No more false RB. Tia.

It does seem obvious.

I actually liked the 3-6-1 they played tonight until the pizarro switch. Ream too slow for it...but miazga, Brooks and long could look good if long can play on the left.
Some one shoot me for asking this, but with Long's speed, can he play at LB?  I am worried he does not have the skills to get forward.

I am not sold on Gloster but man that would be a breath of fresh if he develops into a useful LB.

And somehow we still have Bradley running all over the field in slow motion.
If Berhalter has one flaw, it is his over reliance on experienced players.  

We are lucky that we have a tailor made perfect, relatively massive upgrade for Bradley if Berhalter can just let go.

Some one shoot me for asking this, but with Long's speed, can he play at LB?  I am worried he does not have the skills to get forward.

I am not sold on Gloster but man that would be a breath of fresh if he develops in a useful LB.
I'm putting long as a like for like with ream. Longs pace wins, but I'd miss reams distribution. 

I have zero idea if he can play the position.

I'm not sure why Ream is getting called out - he wasn't the turnover machine that the midfield turned into - Bradley especially. Ream was hung out to dry a lot in that second half covering for the turnovers.
The underlying problem was that the switch Tata made that changed the entire game was based on Ream's inability to get forward, be it physical or tactical.  Once Tata made the switch, Pizarro turned the game on its head.  He was the focal point of that 20 minute stretch which eventually won them the game.

Ream was a symptom.  The disease is that we continue to trot out LB's who are not LB's. 

If Berhalter has one flaw, it is his over reliance on experienced players.  

We are lucky that we have a tailor made perfect, relatively massive upgrade for Bradley if Berhalter can just let go.
This. It’s beyond time to play the kids. Would have been a perfect time to get some minutes before them before WCQ.

This. It’s beyond time to play the kids. Would have been a perfect time to get some minutes before them before WCQ.
we are probably still ~18 months away from qualifying so we have some time for the kids to continue their club progression.   There will be another Gold Cup in 2021 as well which should be right around the start of the final round of qualifying.

Remember that this cycle is extra long because they are moving the WC in Qatar to the winter.

Brooks, Adams, Yedlin and Holmes would all be important parts of the team.  Many of the Mexican players who were missing, are on the wrong side of 30 and will be shortly removed from the program.

I don't know if Vela is ever going to play for Mexico again so I am not even sure he needs to be in the picture any more.  In terms of young players who will effect this cycle, the teams were missing relatively the same amount (Mexico maybe 1 or 2 more).
I hope you're right about those guys ages. I keep thinking of all those players tearing up this group 

I hope you're right about those guys ages. I keep thinking of all those players tearing up this group 
Off the top of my head, Chicharito, Vela, and Layun are all over 30 and Herrera is pushing 30.

I think the guy they missed the most was Lozano. 

He is going to be night mare in qualifying, although as we already talked about, we might not even play Mexico in qualifying so how good they are or are not may be meaningless.

Was at a watch party, so didn't get to give my opinions live(big loss, I know)

Thought that the US thoroughly outplayed Mexico in the first half.  That switched for the first 25 minutes of the second and Mexico deserved that goal.  US should've taken a lead into halftime with the chances they had, but you've got to finish and we didn't.

Pulisic is on another level.  God I wish we could give him some help.

McKennie needs Adams behind/beside him before we really see him shine IMO.  He didn't track back enough in the second and Bradley got worked.

Cannon.... I like.   I think he deserves first look going forward(yes, even over Yedlin)

Miazga was better than Long and I think he should be paired with Brooks going forward to see if they can combine well.

Morris should never see another meaningful game as a USMNT player.  If he does, he's either inexplicably gotten way better, has dirt on GB, or we have failed to produce any good wingers.

I'd also like to see Arriola as a backup, but right now he's really all we've got:-)sadface:)

Bradley should be done with the USMNT.  He's too slow to play teams like Mexico effectively and playing him against lower tier teams just stunts the potential growth of any young 6s coming up.

I'm pretty sure I'd sell my first born for a quality striker at this point.  Jozy is better than Gyasi by a mile, but he's still a mile short of what we need.

.I'm pretty sure I'd sell my first born for a quality striker at this point.  Jozy is better than Gyasi by a mile, but he's still a mile short of what we need.
LB and striker I think are the two highest needs.

Jozy is ok as you said, but he is not getting younger, healthier or fitter in the coming years.   and his quality has always been tied to his health and fitness.  I just don't see those improving as the cycle progresses.

I was thinking the same.

But that isn't a gray zone. That should have been an automatic ejection. And the ref was looking right at it.
I know, he could not have had a better view.

And was this based on the play where the Mexican who weirdly tried to dry hump Jozy's back that Weston got involved with?

I saw a tweet before the game that the US team had the higher transfer value, but it was all centered in CP and Swag.  CP was the best player on the field.  Swag wasn’t and he didn’t track back on the goal.  Y’all are crapping in Bradley, but he played his part fine.  

Jozy also had a fantastic game in holdup and as a target.  The interplay with him and CP was top-notch and gave Mexico’s CBs fits all night.  Nips and Morris let them down though.

In any case, this is far from the end of the world. We have a like for like in Adams.

and more Cannon please.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Except for his whiff, Jozy was fun to watch last night. CP is awesome. Weston wasn't as good as he has been but he's a dude I'd want on my squad to have my back. Steffen is solid. Cannon is unexpectedly showing out.

Seemed like some good things came out, even with a loss. Long way to go but I don't feel like all is lost.

Users who are viewing this thread