What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (15 Viewers)

Any guesses on the a starting 11 for the Olympic qualifying team?

Reyna is a no brainer. I would think CCV, Yueill, Cannon because of their experience with the full USMNT would be obvious picks.

GK?

Cannon       CCV       Robinson       Vines (Who else is a LB?)

Yueill

Pomykal                               Mihailovic

Reyna                 Soto            de la Fuente

Any guesses on the a starting 11 for the Olympic qualifying team?

Reyna is a no brainer. I would think CCV, Yueill, Cannon because of their experience with the full USMNT would be obvious picks.

GK?

Cannon       CCV       Robinson       Vines (Who else is a LB?)

Yueill

Pomykal                               Mihailovic

Reyna                 Soto            de la Fuente
You can scratch Reyna IMO.  Berhalter announced today he is being called up for the Euro friendlies which are happening at the same time as the Olympic qualifiers.

You could probably just slot in Uly for Reyna in your lineup.

The only changes I might make are Richie over Mihailovic and Jesus over Soto.

Another LB would be Gloster.

In regards to why Reyna was on the provisional Olympic roster

=============

@JeffreyCarlisle

For those wondering why Gio Reyna is on the Olympic provisional roster but is now being called up to the senior team, I'm told the provisional roster was submitted before Dortmund informed the #usmnt he wouldn't be released for Olympic qualifying.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and I have been doing some research on twitter and reddit and no one can find another case so far.

I think when Gio Reyna takes the field for the US in March, he may become the first international soccer player in world history to be the son of two former international players.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and I have been doing some research on twitter and reddit and no one can find another case so far.

I think when Gio Reyna takes the field for the US in March, he may become the first international soccer player in world history to be the son of two former international players.
he won't be the first.  Check this lineage I found on wiki after seeing the suggestion on Reddit :)

=======================

Albert Guðmundsson is from a family of footballers. His father is former international striker Guðmundur Benediktsson.  Albert's mother is former international Kristbjörg Ingadóttir, daughter of former international striker Ingi Björn Albertsson, who held the record for most goals in the Icelandic top division from 1987 until 2012.[6]

The father of Ingi, and thus Albert's great-grandfather, was former Milan and Arsenal striker and later Minister of Finance Albert Guðmundsson, Iceland's first professional footballer. All four generations have scored for the Icelandic national team.

he won't be the first.  Check this lineage I found on wiki after seeing the suggestion on Reddit :)

=======================

Albert Guðmundsson is from a family of footballers. His father is former international striker Guðmundur Benediktsson.  Albert's mother is former international Kristbjörg Ingadóttir, daughter of former international striker Ingi Björn Albertsson, who held the record for most goals in the Icelandic top division from 1987 until 2012.[6]

The father of Ingi, and thus Albert's great-grandfather, was former Milan and Arsenal striker and later Minister of Finance Albert Guðmundsson, Iceland's first professional footballer. All four generations have scored for the Icelandic national team.
Wow.  What a legacy.  That's pretty cool.

Future USMNT

By signing Tanner Tessman to a homegrown contract, FC Dallas now have 13 Americans on the first team roster aged 23 or under. That is (unsurprisingly) the most of any team in MLS.

After watching him play this season (I think I have seen every minute he has played), I am coming to really respect his ability to be what I call a "pocket" player.

Some players are wide players, some play on the very edge of the back line, some sit and let the game come to them, but Gio has this Suarez like instinct to continually come back to the ball and create a quick pocket of space for himself where he can then do something offensively.

I realize some of this space he is creating is because no one knows who he is yet or what his skill set is, but I am hopeful that even when he is important enough to be mentioned for defensive tactics by the opposition, that this skill will still be very useful.   Defenders are taught not to get pulled out of position which forces passing lanes to emerge for through balls.  As such I think they are willing to let players like Gio accept balls when he is going away from goal.   But Gio has shown time and again that he can turn very quickly and make his seemingly innocent position on the field immediately look dangerous. 
Looks like GGG has noticed the same thing we have as fans about Gio's ability to turn with the ball in a pocket.

“When he gets the ball in the pocket, his awareness to turn, and his efficiency in when he’s turning his excellent,” Berhalter said. “Doesn’t waste any touches turning, and turns right away. Second thing is his ball security under pressure is phenomenal. There’s a play against PSG where he got the ball on the sideline, and (Thomas) Meunier and, I forgot who, they’re trying to close him down and he just turns and gets out of pressure. Meunier got a yellow card, but he just did it with with so much awareness that it was really impressive.”

Future USMNT

By signing Tanner Tessman to a homegrown contract, FC Dallas now have 13 Americans on the first team roster aged 23 or under. That is (unsurprisingly) the most of any team in MLS.
This kid was going to Clemson on a full ride and was said to have a chance at the NFL some day as a kicker but he passed that up to sign with Dallas. Here is what the Clemson football coach, Dabo Swinney, said about him when they signed him.

""[Clemson head soccer coach] (Mike) Noonan is somewhere having a party right now because he just signed an unbelievably talented soccer player, but Tanner could go play D1 basketball. He could probably start at receiver at Clemson. He could probably play safety at Clemson. He's a 6-foot-2 phenom. He can fly. He's as good of an athlete as I've ever seen." 

And Sciaretta said this morning that the kid has good soccer skills and is not just a pure athlete.  But when you think of the athletes some like Swinney has coached in his career, even if he was pouring this on thick, Tanner should be at worst a very very good athlete.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's big.  6'2" 190.  That's huge for a midfielder.  It'll be fun to see where his skill level is at in soccer as he's clearly going to be a physical presence on the pitch.  We don't have any big midfielders on the team right now and I think we need one or two, especially against the dirty Concacaf teams.

2/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, NewlyRetired said:
After watching him play this season (I think I have seen every minute he has played), I am coming to really respect his ability to be what I call a "pocket" player.

Some players are wide players, some play on the very edge of the back line, some sit and let the game come to them, but Gio has this Suarez like instinct to continually come back to the ball and create a quick pocket of space for himself where he can then do something offensively.

I realize some of this space he is creating is because no one knows who he is yet or what his skill set is, but I am hopeful that even when he is important enough to be mentioned for defensive tactics by the opposition, that this skill will still be very useful.   Defenders are taught not to get pulled out of position which forces passing lanes to emerge for through balls.  As such I think they are willing to let players like Gio accept balls when he is going away from goal.   But Gio has shown time and again that he can turn very quickly and make his seemingly innocent position on the field immediately look dangerous. 
Sorry I missed this originally- great observation.

He's big.  6'2" 190.  That's huge for a midfielder.  It'll be fun to see where his skill level is at in soccer as he's clearly going to be a physical presence on the pitch.  We don't have any big midfielders on the team right now and I think we need one or two, especially against the dirty Concacaf teams.
Agreed.  this is one of the reasons Keaton Parks keeps my interest although he is not the physical presence that this kid seems to be.  I hope he can get some time for Dallas this year.

Agreed.  this is one of the reasons Keaton Parks keeps my interest although he is not the physical presence that this kid seems to be.  I hope he can get some time for Dallas this year.
I can't remember if Parks was hurt last season? Been a fan, and liked what I saw of him- but didn't seem like he was always on the field.

Another big body in the MF with skills would be good 

I can't remember if Parks was hurt last season? Been a fan, and liked what I saw of him- but didn't seem like he was always on the field.

I just looked him up.  He appeared in 22 games, 14 as a starter, 1300+ minutes.  I don't remember any specific injuries but those numbers indicate he was an important part of the roster but clearly not an auto start every game. 

Looks like Brooks has regained his starting spot for Wolfsburg.  I think this was his 3rd straight game for them today, all wins and his was Man of the Match in the previous game.

Dest is starting at his normal RB spot for Ajax but it looks like Ajax may not be advancing in the Europa League, down 3 in aggregate now (due to away goals).

Brek Shea, at just 29 is hoping to catch on with a USL team this season.

He is a good person to keep in mind when ever I get too excited about a youth prospect.

I couldn't even tell you where my top yute pick, outside of nips, is playing. Haji.
Oh, I saw this the other day.

He is playing at GGGGGGG's favorite club in the world which is of course VVVVVVVV-Venlo in Holland :)

Haji is 21 now.  He actually gets a significant amount of minutes at VVV.  He is already over 1300 for the year with 15 starts.

Whoscored characteristics are absolutely brutal on him :)

Haji Wright Characteristics

+ Strengths: (Player has no significant strengths) :lmao:

- Weaknesses: Passing, Holding on to the ball, Finishing, Defensive contribution

Oh, I saw this the other day.

He is playing at GGGGGGG's favorite club in the world which is of course VVVVVVVV-Venlo in Holland :)

Haji is 21 now.  He actually gets a significant amount of minutes at VVV.  He is already over 1300 for the year with 15 starts.

- Weaknesses: Passing, Holding on to the ball, Finishing, Defensive contribution
First part...great.

Last part ...  :lmao:

NewlyRetired said:

Why are we talking about Bradley again?

I think any hopes of seeing my avatar play together in March are dropping by the day

==========

Chelsea FC

@ChelseaFC

Lampard reports Hudson-Odoi is missing tomorrow through injury. On Pulisic's injury, he confirms the recovery is taking longer than first expected but as it is an injury he had as a player, he appreciates it can be difficult one to come back from and needs careful rehab.

NewlyRetired said:
El Floppo said:

I just looked him up.  He appeared in 22 games, 14 as a starter, 1300+ minutes.  I don't remember any specific injuries but those numbers indicate he was an important part of the roster but clearly not an auto start every game. 
I forget who the resident NYCFC expert is, but I noticed him playing more as the season went on.  He barely played at first, but grew into a bigger role.  

He's tall and lanky; not exactly what I'd consider a big 'enforcer' type of player.  He plays more like a finesse player IIRC.  

I forget who the resident NYCFC expert is, but I noticed him playing more as the season went on.  He barely played at first, but grew into a bigger role.  

He's tall and lanky; not exactly what I'd consider a big 'enforcer' type of player.  He plays more like a finesse player IIRC.  
Exactly right. @Sammy3469 is our NYC fan.

Def not an enforcer, but nice to have a bigger body in there regardless.

Feels like there's times lately that nobody in the US MF can win or even challenge a ball in the air

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
The just traded Zimmerman.  I feel the GK is a fringe prospect, but don't remember.

Tracking this crap is hard.
Young duals maybe? Atuesta?

ETA...I'm just heading off watching last night and trying to remember. But memory and all.

Young duals maybe? Atuesta?

ETA...I'm just heading off watching last night and trying to remember. But memory and all.
There are a couple of kids that are on the fringe of the first team but that is a hard team to break into.   Zimmerman was the only one on the current roster before he was traded.

Atuesta is Colombian.  He does have a US green card though in case he stays here a while and is never called by Colombia (he is already a regular member of their U23 team so it is only a matter of time).

I was impressed with Adrien Perez last night.  Considering he was all but out of the sport last season and was playing indoors when Preki saw him and called Bob Bradley and said that he had to give him a try out.  He made the team and is already getting minutes for one of the best teams in the league. 

It always makes me wonder how many players get lost in the shuffle when they can't get in a good situation for their playing style.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I was impressed with Adrien Perez last night.  Considering he was all but out of the sport last season and was playing indoors when Preki saw him and called Bob Bradley and said that he had to give him a try out.  He made the team and is already getting minutes for one of the best teams in the league. 

It always makes me wonder how many players get lost in the shuffle when they can't get in a good situation for their playing style.
He subbed in late? Came oh so close a few times?

Why are we talking about Bradley again?
Man... Bradley is/was the US Jordan Henderson.  No one appreciates what those workhorse 8s do unless/until it's for a team that's winning.  Especially when they get played out of position as a 10 or a 6.

(Can't believe the comparison didn't occur to me until now.)

Agreed.

CP is deceptively good too (Ned's dunking). Lletget not bad. Adams. But the US MF when so many of them are injured and out trends small with guys who don't even bother challenging the headers.
Most surprising absolutely uncanny header winner was Chris Pontius. I had never noticed it until the Gold Cup under Arena when a commenter mentioned he led MLS in aerial duels won. And all that tournament, Howard pinged balls to his head. I started watching MLS and it was the same. It was like he was 5’10” Andy Carroll. Watching, it wasn’t so much his leaping ability so much as his ability to read the flight and get his timing perfect. 

He was an auto start after Sands got hurt for the year which is why they went out of their way to retain him.  

However, Sands is the real guy you want to watch.  I have no idea why he’s a fringe U20/23 prospect, but he’s the one (with Ring) that bosses the MF.

I am interested to see how Brandt returning to health effects Gio.  Brandt is back in the starting lineup today for Dortmund which bumped Haaland to the bench.

Gio has played in 8 straight matches as a sub but almost all of that was while regulars were injured, Brandt being one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread