What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

Well that escalated quickly.  I wonder what happened at Arsenal/London to make him sour this quickly.  I mean he was captain of their U18 side.  

He is a quad national player.  He is still eligible for England, US, Italy and Ghana.

If he intends to play in the friendly, I think that must mean he is not youth cap tied to England else I think he would need a one time switch before even playing a friendly.

Oh and hell we might as well say it, GGG must present very well to these kids.

Balogan must be #1 on the board now to try and pursuade.

If we are in true recruitment mode, if I was GGG, Konrad would be an instant call up for me. 

Musah seeing young La Liga players like Dest and Konrad in camp may make him acclimate quicker.

I doubt it played into his decision but the US is probably one of the small handful of countries where Musah will see so many first team players with in his age range.  

Yeah, landing this kid KINDA seems like a big deal, no?

Starting full time in La Liga prior to his 18th birthday.

I mean....we'll take anything we can get....but LOL at his mom "being on vacation" in the US right at her due date. Pretty obvious that it was a "get my kid US citizenship" trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
and what is his connection with England? Is it literally that he moved there when he was 10 to play for Arsenal's academy so they gave him citizenship 5 years later?

I doubt it played into his decision but the US is probably one of the small handful of countries where Musah will see so many first team players with in his age range.  
And maybe he sees the talent pipeline and the opportunity for the USMNT to really make some waves (without the pressure / expectations of the 3 Lions).

And maybe he sees the talent pipeline and the opportunity for the USMNT to really make some waves (without the pressure / expectations of the 3 Lions).

At the end of the day, he can't have much emotional connection to England at all. He was mostly raised in Italy, but considering the treatment that black players often get there, I can't imagine they're a slam dunk either.

Obviously his mom made a conscious choice for him to be born in the US (and thus be a citizen). Maybe that means something :shrug:

Man, so much to chew on... 

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), Chituru Odunze (Leicester City/ENG; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 17/0)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 38/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 10/0), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 3/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 18/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 40/1), Chris Richards (Bayern Munich/GER; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 7/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 10/1), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; 0/0), Richard Ledezma (PSV Eindhoven/NED; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 19/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 0/0), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton/ENG; 0/0)

FORWARDS (8): Konrad de la Fuente (Barcelona/ESP; 0/0), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen/FRA; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 34/14), Uly Llanez (Heerenveen/NED; 1/1), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 0/0), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 12/5), Sebastian Soto (Telstar/NED; 0/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 8/1)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2020/11/usmnt-roster-announcement-berhalter-24-players-november-camp-friendlies-wales-panama

CHICAGO (Nov. 3, 2020) – U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Gregg Berhalter has named a 24-player roster as the USA prepares to gather in Wales for just its second camp of 2020. The players will begin reporting on Nov. 8 to Cardiff ahead of the USA’s first friendly of the trip against Wales on Nov. 12 in Swansea.

Four days later, the USMNT will face Panama on Nov. 16 at Stadion Wiener Neustadt in Wiener Neustadt, Austria, in the second match of the November FIFA window. Both matches will kick off at 2:45 p.m. ET and will be broadcast live on FS1, UniMás and TUDN.

Fans will also be able to follow via Twitter @USMNT, Instagram @USMNT, Facebook, and the official U.S. Soccer App.

Berhalter has once again called upon a young and talented group, with the roster’s average age at 21 years, 300 days. Nine of the players are part of clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League, the most in team history. Young standouts Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig), Sergino Dest (Barcelona), Weston McKennie (Juventus), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea) and Zack Steffen (Manchester City) will be in the squad for the first time since 2019, along with veterans center backs John Brooks (Wolfsburg), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht) and Tim Ream (Fulham).

A total of 10 players are seeking their first cap with the senior National Team, including Borussia Dortmund midfielder Gio Reyna, who is looking to join the list of 11 players who have appeared for the USMNT before turning 18-years-old. Chris Richards – a defender for reigning UEFA Champions League and Bundesliga champion Bayern Munich – also earns his first senior team call.

With the MLS season still underway and playoffs on the horizon, the roster is exclusively made up of players playing professionally outside the United States.

USA TO FACE PANAMA ON NOV. 16 IN AUSTRIA

Following the friendly against Wales in Swansea on Nov. 12, the U.S. Men’s National Team will face Panama on Nov. 16 at Stadion Wiener Neustadt in Wiener Neustadt, Austria, in the second match of the November FIFA window.

This will be the USA’s third visit to Austria, although the first where the team won’t play the host country. The match against Panama will be the first friendly against a Concacaf opponent at a neutral venue outside of the region. Stadion Wiener Neustadt is located approximately 40 miles south of Vienna, and will be the site of Mexico-Korea Republic two days prior to the Panama tilt.

Due to the current conditions related to the global pandemic, the matches will be played without fans in the stadiums. The staging of the camp and the matches will fall under the comprehensive U.S. Soccer Return to Play Protocols and Guidelines and in line with both the FIFA and UEFA Return to Play Protocols, as well as stringent oversight by the Football Association of Wales for the match in Swansea. The participants have received an exemption from quarantine provided to professional sports organizations.

The matches against Wales and Panama will be the first for the USMNT on a FIFA fixture date since Nov. 19, 2019, a 4-0 win against Cuba that lifted the USA to a first-place finish in Group A of the Concacaf Nations League and a spot in the Final Four to be played in June next year. This is only the second match for the USMNT in 2020, following a 1-0 shutout of Costa Rica on Feb. 1 in Carson, Calif.

Guessing Pulisic probably isn't going to play, (although it looks like he MIGHT be available for this weekend, so who knows) but still a good idea to call him in to try and help woo any dual nats that are on the fence.

Love the roster. Just great that its so many young guys. Excited to see what some of them have.

Good...panama too.

The names that jump...

Odunze...if this is the US youth GK, great- that kid was a monster. Anybody know more about what he's doing in Leicester? If it's somebody new, cool.

Johnny, Musah and Owen....I figured Johnny would be in quarantine hell coming from Brazil, but hope to get to see him play outside of those youtube clips. I know zip about Musah other than what's posted here...definitely curious. Sounds like Owen has been sniffing around the first team at Wolves- good to see that rewarded with at least a camp.

Soto and Konrad...yeah- let's get these guys feeling welcome and involved. The right move from GGGAg.

Giocchini? Anybody?

Weah. Huh. Either he's injured and not making the bench or he's healthy and not making the bench. I don't really see how either warrants an inclusion here.

CP...included just for leadership? Can't imagine he's playing or even necessarily training with the squad. I'd rather get another player a look...sibetchu, novakavic...somebody healthy.

Guessing Pulisic probably isn't going to play, (although it looks like he MIGHT be available for this weekend, so who knows) but still a good idea to call him in to try and help woo any dual nats that are on the fence.

Love the roster. Just great that its so many young guys. Excited to see what some of them have.
That is good news about Pulisic.  I too don't think he will play but with it being so close perhaps he does attend camp with out participating.  Same issue for Adams

========

"He had a scan yesterday, which showed a very minor injury to his hamstring, and he's already back outside," Lampard said during his comments before Chelsea's Champions League group match vs. Rennes. "He won't be fit tomorrow, but we'll see after that."

CCV injured?
Good catch.  Erik Palmer Brown was another I thought had a chance.

But I like to think of this as a positive.

No MLS players available, Green, Bacon, CCV, EPB,  and Yedlin all not called and the roster still looks like it has some real good quality.

Like you guys said, really happy they snagged a second game.  180 minutes gives GGG a lot more room to give some minutes to players.

Think I’m most excited to see Reyna + Sargent combo. 
While I've always liked Sarge, can't say I've ever been excited about him.

But yeah...curious how the MF links with him. Also curious to see what can of formation they run.

Looking forward to seeing gio and swag together, tbh.

ok lets talk line up.

Assuming Pulisic does not play, the other wingers are very suspect in terms of game play.  Uly, Konrad and Weah have combined for almost no club minutes this season.

With this in mind, I would not mind seeing a 3-5-2

*Let Dest/Robinson/Cannon share the 360 minutes equally across the 2 games at the wide spots

*Let Miazga/Brooks/Ream/Richards share the 540 minutes at the 3 in the back

Maybe something like this(mostly focused on players who are actively playing right now, if Adams is actually playing, he obviously starts next to Swag)

........................................Steffen

...................Miazga..........Brooks............Ream

.............................Swag.............Johnny

Dest..........................................................................Robinson

.........................................Gio

...........................Sargent..............Soto

That is good news about Pulisic.  I too don't think he will play but with it being so close perhaps he does attend camp with out participating.  Same issue for Adams

========

"He had a scan yesterday, which showed a very minor injury to his hamstring, and he's already back outside," Lampard said during his comments before Chelsea's Champions League group match vs. Rennes. "He won't be fit tomorrow, but we'll see after that."
“Christian had a scan yesterday which showed a very minor injury to his hamstring. Very minor. He’s already back outside [on the training pitch]. He’s not fit for tomorrow, but we will see after that,” Lampard said. “It is obviously a relief for the injury to be on the small side. He made the right decision on not attempting to play the game. That would have made it worse. It is clearly a relief that he will be back very soon because he’s an important play for us.

“With the actual muscle injury, that’s a hard one to call. It’s forever going to be a challenge. Some players that do play on the edge and have such speed in their game and acceleration, maybe that could be more susceptible. I don’t think that’s a one-size-fits-all answer, because it is different for everybody. From last season we were looking at ways of managing Christian and being proactive and hopefully not getting too many injuries. It is something he’d previously experienced with his career at Dortmund as well. We are all working on the same direction on that one to try and get him as fit as regularly as possible because we know the talent [he has].”

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), Chituru Odunze (Leicester City/ENG; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 17/0)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 38/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 10/0), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 3/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 18/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 40/1), Chris Richards (Bayern Munich/GER; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 7/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 10/1), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; 0/0), Richard Ledezma (PSV Eindhoven/NED; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 19/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 0/0), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton/ENG; 0/0)

FORWARDS (8): Konrad de la Fuente (Barcelona/ESP; 0/0), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen/FRA; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 34/14), Uly Llanez (Heerenveen/NED; 1/1), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 0/0), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 12/5), Sebastian Soto (Telstar/NED; 0/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 8/1)
Dual/multi nats who are not yet cap tied (did I miss anyone?):

Robinson, Ledezma, Musah, Konrad, Uly, Gio, Weah and Soto

Lets take these one at a time:

Robinson: no worries here as he is not cracking England's team

Ledezma: Mexico continues to monitor and stay in contact with him.   

Musah: obvious wild card since he can represent 4 different countries, and does not seem to have a real tie to any of them.  

Konrad: No worries here.  The only way he does not play for US is if he flames out and Haiti is his only choice

Uly: See Ledezma

Gio: No worries at all here.  Has shown zero interest in either England or Portugal.

Weah: This seems similar to Konrad.  He either plays for the US or flames out and plays for Liberia

Soto: Chile's interest came out of the blue to me.   He recently said it is still 50-50 so we have to take his word for now.   

• Thanks
Reactions: Ned
“With the actual muscle injury, that’s a hard one to call. It’s forever going to be a challenge. Some players that do play on the edge and have such speed in their game and acceleration, maybe that could be more susceptible. I don’t think that’s a one-size-fits-all answer, because it is different for everybody. From last season we were looking at ways of managing Christian and being proactive and hopefully not getting too many injuries. It is something he’d previously experienced with his career at Dortmund as well. We are all working on the same direction on that one to try and get him as fit as regularly as possible because we know the talent [he has].”
You look at his body make up and it is easy to fear that this is something he is going to struggle with his entire career.  He is almost way too athletic for his own body to handle.

Even with the advances made in taking care of players, muscle injuries still appear to be the greatest challenge.  There is only so much stretching one can do.

And no one wants to see Pulisic change his game.  With out his top notch speed, quickness and acceleration, he is just another guy with good foot skills, which still would make him good enough for the US but not the game changer we really want.

This is pretty cool about Gioachinni, who appears to be taking the Jay Demerit path to the national team

============================

charlie kennan

@charlie_kennan

gioacchini in and it’s huge because its very rare for a player to never be to a youth national team camp all the while living in the US for most of his life. His first taste of international futbol will be with the MNT, super cool.

• Love
Reactions: Ned
damn, we have a zillion kids in the German youth system

================

Dom Rotundo

@domrotundo

All Bundesliga youth games suspended through November and will be reevaluated again in the middle of Nov...

Ugly stuff for Wales.  Giggs was arrested for allegedly assaulting his girl friend (of which he denies)

=====================

The Football Association of Wales and Ryan Giggs have mutually agreed that he will not be involved in the upcoming international camp. 

Our agreed immediate priority is preparing the team for the upcoming international matches.

Robert Page, with Ryan’s support, will take charge for the next three matches against the USA, Republic of Ireland and Finland supported by Albert Stuivenberg. 

The Cymru squad for these upcoming matches will be announced on Thursday 5th November.

The FAW will not be making any further comment at this current time.

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Berhalter said he spoke with Aron Johannsson for awhile. Said the Olympic-eligibility of Soto, Sargent, Gioacchini factored in. He also said U.S. U-23 coach Jason Kreis will be on his staff for this trip

Gotta again give GGG props here

==========================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Regarding Musah:

"(GGG)We've been tracking Yunus for over a year and half now."

Charting his progress at Valencia

A lot of good contact with him.

Berhalter has spoken with his family.

Yunus likes the direction of the USMNT

More Yanus stuff

Berhalter said that while Yunus is playing on the outside at Valencia, he said that he sees him as a player with a huge upside centrally. Berhalter said he will try to use Yunus centrally as well.

"All we can do is hope [Yunus]" chooses us in the long term. Berhalter admits that his long-term future is sill to be decided.

Next summer's Gold Cup could be super important.  Even with FIFA's newly proposed changes to cap tying for young players, the Gold Cup can still be used to lock in players like Yanus and others.

Music to my ears

======================

charlie kennan

@charlie_kennan

‘02 El Paso born Santiago Munoz who was the starting #9 for Mexico at the u17 WCQ & World Cup (now with their U20s) wants to join the USYNT system if offered the opportunity. Munoz made his professional debut for Club Santos (9th in Liga MX) last week.

Users who are viewing this thread