What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James White, NE (1 Viewer)

Ridley's injury leaves some real opportunity in NE.

White only had a few carries in week 4, but I thought he looked really explosive. He had that "electric" quality that you see in guys like Lynch, and in the way Ingram has been running since last year. And, despite his size, he looked good busting a couple of runs up the middle.

We know what Vereen can do. He's solid, but he's not going to set the world on fire. I think White has some incredible upside. Of course he'd have a long ways to go in earning Belichek's trust, and in proving himself with blocking assignments, but maybe just maybe, might we see White get an opportunity here? If he gets the chances, I think he's really going to surprise some folks.
I can't remember if I saw his carries in week 4, but he looked awful in the preseason IMO.

Jonas Gray is going to be the back to own in NE if Ridley is not in the picture
Go on...
I've heard/seen Gray's name mentioned a couple times and on the radio. People have liked his talent since college, but he failed to beat out the likes of Daniel Thomas and Gillislee in Miami. And Bolden has performed really well when fully healthy and given over 10 carries and he took over Ridley's role on Sunday.

Jonas Gray is going to be the back to own in NE if Ridley is not in the picture
Go on...
I've heard/seen Gray's name mentioned a couple times and on the radio. People have liked his talent since college, but he failed to beat out the likes of Daniel Thomas and Gillislee in Miami. And Bolden has performed really well when fully healthy and given over 10 carries and he took over Ridley's role on Sunday.
Ultimately, this is where I landed too. I figured I'd grab Gray off the pile if my Bolden claim didn't work, and I still had a roster spot to kill without very good options.

Bolden made this team as an UDFA and contributed from day 1. He's not really had a shot to be THE guy before - he was always just Ridley's replacement when Ridley fumbled. Also not sure Bolden was fully healthy last year with a lot of missed practice time nursing a knee injury I believe (haven't looked it up, just going off memory). Let's also remember Gray failed to beat out anyone on this squad for a roster spot as well, including Bolden who barely played all of preseason. He's still on the practice squad. He's never had a professional carry - literally no carries.

Bolden's YPC for his career is 4.5 (his rookie year and last year it was 4.9). He can catch a bit (21 receptions over 12 games last year). He's trusted by the team - I don't see that getting bypassed by a guy off the PS who, as mentioned above, failed to beat out that group in MIA for a roster spot, and failed to beat out anyone on his team for a roster spot (then went unclaimed on waivers by 31 other NFL teams). I could see Bolden surprise...

ETA - It's a White thread -- to tie this back, it's plausible White wasn't active often due to ST prowess. It's also possible he's Vereen's backup as the "small back" while others were Ridley backups in the "big back" role. Perhaps White gets a shot at it all. Based on his performance this preseason, I think Bolden is likely ahead, though... what do I know? It's Belichek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Patriots rookie RB James White is inactive for the Super Bowl.
The 130th overall pick in last May's draft, White was a favorite inside the draftnik community, but looked overwhelmed this preseason and was active for just three games as a rookie. The door could crack open for White to contribute in 2015 if Shane Vereen leaves in free agency. White was viewed as a plus pass blocker and pass catcher coming out of Wisconsin.

Feb 1 - 4:50 PM

Rotoworld:

James White - RB - Patriots

ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss mentioned James White as a candidate to replace Shane Vereen as the team's passing-down back.

The Patriots' backfield has thinned out considerably following the losses of Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley. With Tom Brady's arm strength on the decline, New England has relied heavily on the short passing game over the last few seasons. White has a chance to pick up where Vereen left off as the team's primary receiving back. Though LeGarrette Blount and Jonas Gray figure to get more carries, White's role as a receiver could lead to fantasy relevance in 2015.

Source: ESPN.com

Apr 5 - 9:03 AM

Rotoworld:

NESN's Doug Kyed believes second-year RB James White is the favorite to replace Shane Vereen as the passing-down back.

After a hype-filled preseason, White only managed 31 offensive snaps last season and spent most of the year inactive. Viewed as a plus pass catcher and blocker coming out of Wisconsin, White has the ability to beat out Travaris Cadet and Dion Lewis for the Patriots' third-down role, but he will have to show more explosion and playmaking ability this preseason to win the job.

Source: NESN.com
May 23 - 1:13 PM

Rotoworld:

The Boston Herald's Karen Guregian believes James White is in the "driver's seat" in the battle to be the Patriots' third-down back.

White was drafted as the heir apparent to Shane Vereen, so it is not surprising he is leading the competition early. Following an underwhelming rookie campaign, it also would not be surprising if White lost out to either Travaris Cadet or Dion Lewis in training camp. Despite White having an early edge, this competition will likely go down the wire.

Related: Dion Lewis, Travaris Cadet

Source: Boston Herald

Jun 6 - 1:08 PM

Rotoworld:

The Boston Herald says James White "looks like a carbon copy of Shane Vereen."

The Herald notes White has looked "great" while "lining up in all the same places (as Vereen), and turned in some spectacular catches, particularly on wheel routes coming out of the backfield." However, White was also a standout at this time last year before falling off the map once the pads went on in August. And just a few days ago, the Boston Globe said Travaris Cadet has a leg up on White for the passing back role. This is a competition that won't end anytime soon. Ultimately, neither of these guys are talented enough to earn 9.9 touches per game like Vereen did over the previous two years.

Related: Travaris Cadet, Dion Lewis

Jun 22 - 8:06 AM

White is a nice add in PPR. I have him flagged late.

I have had enough of the Fat Blount. I think someone else will see significant carries in 2015. Could be White.

Rotoworld:

According to the Boston Herald, Patriots second-year RB James White has "struggled ever since the pads came on" at training camp.

This sounds an awful lot like last year when White was getting talked up as a rookie before the train went off the tracks during training camp and preseason. He looks good as a pass-catcher in shorts and a t-shirt. But over the past week, White has been leapfrogged by Brandon Bolden and Travaris Cadet, with Bolden becoming the "leader" for third-down duties behind thumper LeGarrette Blount.

Aug 10 - 8:52 PM

Rotoworld:

Patriots second-year RB James White recorded a game-high 52 yards on four catches while also rushing eight times for 12 yards in Thursday's preseason loss to the Packers.

He was briefly sidelined in the second quarter after getting hit by Packers rookie Quinten Rollins but was back for the start of the second half. All in all, Thursday's outing was a mixed bag for White. He showed some explosiveness after the catch but made a critical error in the third quarter by missing his block and letting Jimmy Garoppolo get sacked. White will have to do better than that if he wants to stick as New England's third-down back.

Aug 13 - 10:56 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston considers James White the leading candidate for third-down snaps.

White led New England in receiving in the preseason opener, catching four balls for 52 yards. He allowed a sack in the third quarter, but Bill Belichick said he thought White "fared well enough" in protection. White's preseason usage makes him the early favorite for passing work over Brandon Bolden and Travaris Cadet.

Source: ESPN Boston

Aug 15 - 2:39 PM

Just last week they considered Branden Bolden the leading candidate for third down snaps. Aaaaaggggghhhh!!!!!
Don't listen to Roto about NE players, especially NE RBs, they are absolute #### when it comes to NE players.

Bolden was never in contention hes a special teamer, its down to White and Cadet now. Cadet is more of an H-Back than a RB, White is more of a RB than an H-Back, but hes a terrible runner in the NFL.

I'm not sure the 3DRB role will remain the same, I think they might transition back to the Woodhead type role where they move that guy all over the place which I'm sure White is capable of, but its literally all Cadet does - so I would give him the nod.

White is a nice add in PPR. I have him flagged late.

I have had enough of the Fat Blount. I think someone else will see significant carries in 2015. Could be White.
I saw the following earlier today: Blount's rushing stats over his last 16 games with Pats: 209-1,053-15 (5.04 ypc).

Enlighten me as to why you have had enough of him.

Just last week they considered Branden Bolden the leading candidate for third down snaps. Aaaaaggggghhhh!!!!!
Don't listen to Roto about NE players, especially NE RBs, they are absolute #### when it comes to NE players.

Bolden was never in contention hes a special teamer, its down to White and Cadet now. Cadet is more of an H-Back than a RB, White is more of a RB than an H-Back, but hes a terrible runner in the NFL.

I'm not sure the 3DRB role will remain the same, I think they might transition back to the Woodhead type role where they move that guy all over the place which I'm sure White is capable of, but its literally all Cadet does - so I would give him the nod.
Just because they have had had a back in the Faulk-Woodhead-Vereen mold does not automatically mean that they will have someone that they use exclusively in that 3rd down / receiving role. IMO, they started tipping their hand too much the last few years based on who was in the backfield. They may not have a RB with 40 receptions this year, and if they do, he may not get many carries.

Don't listen to Roto about NE players, especially NE RBs, they are absolute #### when it comes to NE players.Bolden was never in contention hes a special teamer, its down to White and Cadet now. Cadet is more of an H-Back than a RB, White is more of a RB than an H-Back, but hes a terrible runner in the NFL.

Just because they have had had a back in the Faulk-Woodhead-Vereen mold does not automatically mean that they will have someone that they use exclusively in that 3rd down / receiving role. IMO, they started tipping their hand too much the last few years based on who was in the backfield. They may not have a RB with 40 receptions this year, and if they do, he may not get many carries.
That's kind of what I meant by Woodhead role, not sure his numbers his last season in NE, but he was used almost purely as an H-back and in the 2 min offense where they started him in the backfield and moved him all over, under the TE, the wing, out wide, stacked - just all over the place.Less of the Vereen role of the last few years.

So is he still a long term hold for dynasty purposes? BB must like him to keep him on around and on the active roster but not enough dress him on game days for 2nd straight year now. Obviously the pass catching back role he would fill has value in New England.

So is he still a long term hold for dynasty purposes? BB must like him to keep him on around and on the active roster but not enough dress him on game days for 2nd straight year now. Obviously the pass catching back role he would fill has value in New England.
No.

Yeah - totally a weird situation. The Pats cut Jonas Gray, who had shown -- albeit in a small sample size -- that he could compete and succeed at the NFL level. Meanwhile, they kept White who has had some good camp reports each of the past 2 years, but shown nothing on the field. I'm leaning toward White being a break glass in case of emergency back for Belichek: if forced into action, Bill can trust White to do his job. But under normal circumstances, there are other backs on the roster that offer more size/speed/power/passcatching/pass protection/whatever.

I am really sorry for what happened to Dion Lewis, but maybe it's time to start talking about the man who might be next up in NE, James White. That is, barring a signing of Cadet or some notable free agent like that. Pierre Thomas might have been a good candidate for NE but he just signed with San Fran, so not sure who else is out there in free agent land.

I am really sorry for what happened to Dion Lewis, but maybe it's time to start talking about the man who might be next up in NE, James White. That is, barring a signing of Cadet or some notable free agent like that. Pierre Thomas might have been a good candidate for NE but he just signed with San Fran, so not sure who else is out there in free agent land.
I kinda like Cadet but they cut him and kept White. Sounds like they've already demonstrated that they like White more. Has something changed? Even if they sign him, is there any reason to believe he'd be the next man up instead of White?

I kinda like Cadet but they cut him and kept White. Sounds like they've already demonstrated that they like White more. Has something changed? Even if they sign him, is there any reason to believe he'd be the next man up instead of White?
Bolden?

Does anyone have some clips of this guy? There isn't anything on youtube except for wisconsin stuff? Want to see what kind of player Im looking at here?

Nevermind. Cadet signed with SF today.

You won't find any highlights of White in NE cause he hasn't made any.

With the Cadet signing White will almost definitely be taking over on third downs. Bolden is a special teamer.

They will likely sign a body, maybe Jonas Gray, but Gray is not much of a third down back.

Not sure why the Pats would sign Gray. Blount has that role already.
Just need a body, some depth. If Blount goes down they don't have grinder on roster. They've got 3 healthy RBs, White is more of a receiving back, Bolden can do a little of everything, and Blount.

Gray gives them depth at the position and a next man up if Blount goes down. Getting integrated into the offense is a bigger deal this late in the year - but I've heard whispers of there being bad blood between Gray and the Pats so who knows.

Honestly I was hoping the Jets would have cut Ridley by now so the Pats could scoop him up.

Does anyone have some clips of this guy? There isn't anything on youtube except for wisconsin stuff? Want to see what kind of player Im looking at here?
The earlier part of this thread is more excited, with some observations from White's time at Wisconsin. The part about his sharing time with Gordon and Ball reminds me a little bit of Pierre Thomas who shared time with Rashard Mendehall and while Mendy went in the 1st round yet somehow Thomas went undrafted and actually over the long haul had a better overall career.

But then when White finally hit the preseason apparently (and I've heard/read Pats fans say this) he turned in unimpressive performances. And people cooled on him.

The earlier part of this thread is more excited, with some observations from White's time at Wisconsin. The part about his sharing time with Gordon and Ball reminds me a little bit of Pierre Thomas who shared time with Rashard Mendehall and while Mendy went in the 1st round yet somehow Thomas went undrafted and actually over the long haul had a better overall career.
I'm not disputing your analogy but as a Badger alum I wish White had somewhere near the talent Thomas did in his prime. Of course if he did, I doubt Dion Lewis would've made an impact this season. Thomas was a damn good football player. As a Badger alum I hope White can take this potential opportunity and make it his own but I'm skeptical since I've yet to see anything from him that lends me confidence he can be a consistently integral part of a good NFL team.

I would really like opinions on this.

J. White Week 7 vs. NYJ

He looks to be half has shifty as Lewis and the fact that he wasn't able to beat the LB to the edge on his RZ carry is discouraging but his utilization mirrored Lewis's almost exactly. Assume for a moment that he does take over as the pass catching back, am I wrong to assume he'd hold legit value in PPR?

J. White Week 7 vs. NYJ

He looks to be half has shifty as Lewis and the fact that he wasn't able to beat the LB to the edge on his RZ carry is discouraging but his utilization mirrored Lewis's almost exactly. Assume for a moment that he does take over as the pass catching back, am I wrong to assume he'd hold legit value in PPR?
I am not qualified to speak on skills etc. like some of the smart guys around here but I do like that play at 0:50 - ~1:23. The problem is White drops the damn ball but it sure looks like that play could have broken if he had caught it. - Plus there was also a red zone target mixed in there (also incomplete) and a goal line carry. Nice wheel route in there too.

I would be watching Daryl Richardson down on the Texans PS. Of all the names that have been floated around to replace Dion, this guy makes more sense than any of them. It might be hard to bring a guy in this late in the season but if any team is probably capable of it, its the Patriots.

J. White Week 7 vs. NYJ

My guess is he will hold some value, but with a much lower floor and ceiling than Lewis had in the role.

Best guess is Kevin Faulk during the Dillon years. ( from memory, so grain of salt ) 3-5 carries, 3-5 rec, 40-50 yards. Lower chance of TDs ( maybe 1-2 TDs the rest of the way )

Users who are viewing this thread