What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (7 Viewers)

I hope this author is right--I am in dire need of a RB2 who can be mildly productive. Bush and Vereen obviously aren't going to cut it. Time to buy some lotter ytickets and hope for paydirt!
Obviously?Would you really start Williams ahead of either of those guys?
Now--no way, but my reason for the move is in hopes he turns into something and performs better than the 2 guys I have rotating at my #2 back spot. Of course this is if he gets the opportunity to shine. Appears that won't be this week.

I hope this author is right--I am in dire need of a RB2 who can be mildly productive. Bush and Vereen obviously aren't going to cut it. Time to buy some lotter ytickets and hope for paydirt!
Obviously?Would you really start Williams ahead of either of those guys?
Now--no way, but my reason for the move is in hopes he turns into something and performs better than the 2 guys I have rotating at my #2 back spot. Of course this is if he gets the opportunity to shine. Appears that won't be this week.
I just can't imagine dropping either of those guys for such a speculative pick.

We also can't forget Moreno isn't done for the year. At some point in time, he will be back and he will get another shot. I mean, what would it take for Williams to hold long-term value?

We also can't forget Moreno isn't done for the year. At some point in time, he will be back and he will get another shot. I mean, what would it take for Williams to hold long-term value?
A good game that gives the coaching staff more confidence in playing him long term.

Over 2 games the Miami offense has run the ball 29.5 times/game. Based on the type of offense I think they will remain in the top 10 for total rushing attempts over the course of the season. So there is opportunity here for two running backs to get touches that may be worth starting on a weekly basis.

A good game that gives the coaching staff more confidence in playing him long term.

Over 2 games the Miami offense has run the ball 29.5 times/game. Based on the type of offense I think they will remain in the top 10 for total rushing attempts over the course of the season. So there is opportunity here for two running backs to get touches that may be worth starting on a weekly basis.
Right, but which two? Assuming you are counting on Moreno coming back and regaining some type of role, are you expecting Williams to overtake Miller?

Anyway, looks like he compares similarly to Pierce and Cadillac Williams from an athletic stand point. The first thing I did was watch some highlights. I don't like to pass judgement solely off of highlight reels but it's always a fun start when researching an RB. I was a bit disappointed to see his highlights consisting of him running through mac truck sized holes; I was hoping to see some yards after contact but there was nada. I then watched same game highlights and saw the positives and negatives highlighted in this thread. He seems like a fine speculative add but between him, Miller, Orleans (who got snaps/touches last week after Moreno went down as well) and the inevitable return of Moreno I think he's going to have to be special to come out on top.

I am not sure which two running backs will ultimately become the top two in rushing attempts. But I do not have a lot of confidence in Moreno or Miller. So I think there is opportunity for Damien Williams and Orleans Darkwa to become one of the two primary RB is pretty good.

From a measurable standpoint Damien Williams performed pretty well in most of the applicable drills except for his 3 cone time which was below average. That does make me question his future success somewhat. But he has the most important thing, which is speed.

Watching him play I see some untapped potential. This could be related to a lack of vision or elusiveness. That is a concern I have about him. However I have also seen a natural hands catcher and he decent job done in pass protection when asked to do that.

On April 22 I had Williams ranked as the 12th RB of the 2014 draft class. Just behind Jerick McKinnon, Dri Archer and Andre Williams. So a lottery ticket type of player after the athletic phenoms.

I prefer Williams of all of the RB options in Miami right now. I see this season as a clean slate type of year for all of their running backs. Moreno only got a 1 year deal. Miller made the team but I think Moreno is their 1st choice. He has issues staying healthy however and thee must be a reason the Bronco's let him go. In fact he was on the market for a long time if you recall, so teams were not making a strong push for him as a free agent. They have no ties to Miller or Thomas. Thomas was cut from the team already, only recently added back to the roster. They signed Williams and Darkwa who made the final roster.

The offensive line is still a work in progress, but they looked significantly better than last season. The system seems very friendly for running backs.

eta - I have Damien Williams projected for 140 rushing attempts 602 rushing yards 6 TD 26 receptions 202 receiving yards after a couple weeks of preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Williams was never a bell cow at OU. As much as I want to see him shine in the NFL, I just don't see him beating out Moreno or Miller to become a bell cow at the next level. With that being said, I don't see how a Miami RBBC/Split ends up with much more fantasy relevance than a bye week replacement or match up spot start in redrafts.

I'm hoping I'm wrong...

SameSongNDance said:
Biabreakable said:
SameSongNDance said:

Right, but which two? Assuming you are counting on Moreno coming back and regaining some type of role, are you expecting Williams to overtake Miller?

Anyway, looks like he compares similarly to Pierce and Cadillac Williams from an athletic stand point. The first thing I did was watch some highlights. I don't like to pass judgement solely off of highlight reels but it's always a fun start when researching an RB. I was a bit disappointed to see his highlights consisting of him running through mac truck sized holes; I was hoping to see some yards after contact but there was nada. I then watched same game highlights and saw the positives and negatives highlighted in this thread. He seems like a fine speculative add but between him, Miller, Orleans (who got snaps/touches last week after Moreno went down as well) and the inevitable return of Moreno I think he's going to have to be special to come out on top.
I thought he looked shifty and fast in the highlights.

I have one pickup left this week and was planning on using on a defense as I have the Bills but I'm thinking I should grab this guy before he blows up on Sunday..

Of all the guys avaialable on waiver wires, he's the one that only has Lamar Miller in front of him. That alone makes him worth a look-see.

Picked him up in 2 leagues, a redraft and a dynasty. I'm in such bad shape in the redraft I'm actually starting him as an RB2 this week. My regular RB2 is Mathews and I've been outbid for 2 weeks trying to get a backup. I bid over 50% for D Brown, didn't get him.

No matter the bench size I always feel like I'd be in much better shape if I had just 1 more spot. Have Crowell in my last spot now and am so tempted to swap him for this guy or CJ Anderson. I have a feeling that after this week 1 of those 3 will be a lot more valuable but there's no way of knowing.

I have to admit that I like Williams the least out of those speculative adds like Crowell and Anderson mainly due to the lack of usage so far. Hard to know what he can do at the NFL level when he's had barely any touches so far. Only having Miller ahead of him is a huge plus though.

Was able to grab him in several deep redraft leagues at 7% of the budget (next highest bid was usually 3-4%) and I feel pretty comfortable with it.

I would absolutely love to see Williams come out and dominate tomorrow. It would be great, at least until Moreno comes back. Then it would be weird. They'd all just cancel out each other's values like the NO backfield.

Of course week 1 it was 35 RB carries, last week it was 17 RB carries. I wonder what we get this week.

Of course week 1 it was 35 RB carries, last week it was 17 RB carries. I wonder what we get this week.
595 carries.

595 carries.

595 carries.
In that case Miller gets 11 and Williams gets 584.

The fact they trotted Daniel Thomas who is a complete POS over Williams......tells you all you need to know about how this coaching staff feels about giving Williams any PT in the regular season.

No trust here right now by this (abysmal) coaching staff in Williams.

The fact they trotted Daniel Thomas who is a complete POS over Williams......tells you all you need to know about how this coaching staff feels about giving Williams any PT in the regular season.

That or maybe Williams simply isn't ready for a bigger role.

Yeah, very strange. Snap counts:

Week 1:

Moreno - 45

Miller - 28

Williams - 1

Week 2:

Miller - 52

Williams - 17

Darkwa - 9

Moreno - 2 (injured)

Week 3:

Miller - 54

Thomas - 14

Williams - 2

So he's listed as questionable due to an ankle injury and missed some practice time this week. Is it plausible he hurt his ankle early in last week's game?

I also found these tweets which suggest he was set to be the second guy...

@ArmandoSalguero: Damien Williams second back into the game for the Dolphins.

@AdamHBeasley: Damien Williams gets the first non-Lamar Miller carry.

I was wondering if they may pick Darkwa back up with Moreno now out. If not, would speak pretty loudly of Darkwa. Seems like he was getting some hype earlier.

Does no one else see this as a must add waiver pick up? I don't think the fish can rely on Miller or Thomas. Williams seems skilled with some nice opportunity here

So Williams showed up this week, 13 touches in the blowout, did nothing much with them, 51 tot yards, but there it is.

If Miller is out or even gimpy, I expect them to give him another shot. He has to be more dangerous with the ball in his hands than Thomas.

Rotoworld:

Damien Williams rushed seven times for 37 yards in the Dolphins' Week 10 loss to the Lions, adding three receptions for an additional 27 yards.

With Lamar Miller (shoulder) at less than 100 percent and Daniel Thomas having ball-security issues, Williams was the Dolphins' No. 1 back in Motown. It's quite possible that will remain the case for Thursday's game against the Bills, but going up against one of the league's best run defenses on a short week, Williams won't be a recommended RB3.

Nov 9 - 6:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Speaking at last week's Senior Bowl, Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey stated he believes rising second-year RB Damien Williams has an "ability to play on all three downs."

Hickey also praised Williams' special teams play and noted he likes young players help in that area before pushing for significant playing time. A 2014 UDFA, Williams is a plus pass blocker and caught 21 passes in limited action as a rookie. Williams has starting-caliber athleticism and size. He is a player to target in Dynasty trades with Lamar Miller entering a contract year.

Source: miamidolphins.com
Jan 31 - 2:52 PM

I thought he looked like a backup NFL RB when I got to see him finally play. There was little special about him and I had spent way too much FF WW $ on him hoping n all.

They did sign some other backs when it was Damian's turn to step up which doesn't indicate high praise or support for him.

I don't discredit that he's a 3 down back, we all knew he had receiving ability.

He just seemed very average. I was looking for anything I could hang my hat on and...dropped him in dynasty.

Injuries sometimes give opportunities to average backs and put them in a position to succeed, but NFL teams start every year with one or two new fancy backs as starters

Rotoworld:

The Palm Beach Post's Andrew Abramson considers Damien Williams the leader to be the Dolphins' No. 2 running back behind starter Lamar Miller.

According to Abramson, Williams and 49ers castoff LaMichael James are well ahead of fifth-round rookie Jay Ajayi, who has steadily been working as the No. 4 back. Beat writers have noted that Ajayi isn't showing much decisiveness with the ball in his hands. Williams averaged just 3.4 YPC on 36 carries as a rookie, but caught 21 balls and has plus size and athleticism at 5'11/225.

Related: LaMichael James, Jay Ajayi

Source: Andrew Abramson on Twitter
Aug 5 - 9:45 AM

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero agrees that the Dolphins' No. 2 tailback job is "Damien Williams' to lose."

Salguero says Williams is the "clear" No. 2 back based on his "experience in (Bill Lazor's) offense," "practice snaps," and from "listening to Joe Philbin speak." Williams appears to have a sizable advantage on ballyhooed rookie Jay Ajayi, who is fighting LaMichael James for No. 3 scraps. Williams is 5-foot-11, 222 with 4.45 timed speed and showed well in the passing game as a rookie.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter
Aug 6 - 11:43 AM

Being at camp....it's true. Williams is the primary back up and will also see work on third downs.

Rotoworld:

Damien Williams operated as the Dolphins' clear No. 2 running back in the team's preseason opener.

He finished with 20 yards on seven carries and two catches for 28 yards. Williams actually replaced starter Lamar Miller in the red zone on Miami's opening drive, but it turned out Miller was simply done for the day. Williams looked much, much sharper than LaMichael James, who was the No. 3 back through the rotation. Jay Ajayi is injured and currently on the fourth string.

Aug 13 - 9:40 PM

Damien Williams had 2 TDs in the second preseason game and had a shot at third. Anyone think the Dolphins still have the old or original Moreno role in mind somehow?

I rode this train last year and it went nowhere.

He looked much more comfy this preseason.

I don't get the love for Lamar Miller. I assume he won some FF titles with his nice week 15 game and his 178 yard game in week 16 so there's a shine on him. Before that he was a 700 yard RB that gets 12 carries per game.

12 carries for 50ish yards was quite regular and would make me consider Damien again.

I don't get the love for Lamar Miller. I assume he won some FF titles with his nice week 15 game and his 178 yard game in week 16 so there's a shine on him. Before that he was a 700 yard RB that gets 12 carries per game.

12 carries for 50ish yards was quite regular and would make me consider Damien again.
Last year was only his second year, and Miller indeed struggled before Moreno went down and Miller found himself as the lead dog.

Sometimes the light clicks on a bit later for guys, and this may be the case with Miller. Or maybe not - time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread