What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (5 Viewers)

KC has at least three RB's they can feed and that's NOT including the rest of the offense. Almost feel like none of them are going to stand out this season.

But if I had to choose, it's Shady the rest of the way. 
Assuming Shady can stay healthy....

If he’s healthy, I think Damien sends Darrel back to the bench for the time being. He didn’t play great the first two games but then again it was only two games. Plus he did fine in week 1 with a TD.

If he stinks it up, he’ll likely lose his job to Darrel but I think Damien is going to come back and resume his half share of this backfield for now. 

Damien was ahead of the other two (not Mccoy) coming out of preseason.  There is no reason to expect he is lower than second fiddle behind Mccoy.  And it already appears Mccoy is not a full workload guy so Damien should have value.

I am hoping his time away gave him a little focus and he comes out hot this week.

If he’s healthy, I think Damien sends Darrel back to the bench for the time being. He didn’t play great the first two games but then again it was only two games. Plus he did fine in week 1 with a TD.

If he stinks it up, he’ll likely lose his job to Darrel but I think Damien is going to come back and resume his half share of this backfield for now. 
Agreed, especially as DWill is the better pass catcher.  He won the job initially so there’s no reason to think it still not his.  

Agreed, especially as DWill is the better pass catcher.  He won the job initially so there’s no reason to think it still not his.  

Damien was ahead of the other two (not Mccoy) coming out of preseason.  There is no reason to expect he is lower than second fiddle behind Mccoy.  And it already appears Mccoy is not a full workload guy so Damien should have value.

I am hoping his time away gave him a little focus and he comes out hot this week.

Because they never really saw what Darrel would do in games with a full workload.  He looks like the best back on the team.  Would be quite surprised if Damien just takes over the 15 touch starting job once he's back.

• Smile
Reactions: J R
Because they never really saw what Darrel would do in games with a full workload.  He looks like the best back on the team.  Would be quite surprised if Damien just takes over the 15 touch starting job once he's back.
Also didn't see this level of talk from Reid about how much he trusts Damien like he did about Darrel -- and backed that talk up by playing him in key situations over Shady even after the fumble.

Realistically, I am expecting that when Damien is fully healed, he'll be the back behind Shady -- it's the most probable outcome, and one as a Darrel owner I am fully prepared for.

But there absolutely is a non-zero chance that either Damien and Darrel split that role, and even that they continue to use Darrel as the primary second back -- let's not pretend that players losing their job to injury and having a guy pop off and/or gain the coach's trust in the meantime never happens in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also didn't see this level of talk from Reid about how much he trusts Darrel -- and backed the talk up by playing him in key situations over Shady even after the fumble.

Realistically, I am expecting that when Damien is fully healed, he'll be the back behind Shady -- it's the most probable outcome, and one as a Darrel owner I am fully prepared for.

But there absolutely is a non-zero chance that either Damien and Darrel split that role, and even that they continue to use Darrel as the primary second back -- let's not pretend that players losing their job to injury and having a guy pop off and/or gain the coach's trust in the meantime never happens in the NFL.
This.

I guess it totally could go either way.  I just have a gut feeling that Andy sees what he has in Darrel now and isn't going to send him right to the bench.  He should ideally keep all three fresh for playoffs.

I might have to eat some crow but the coaches were very familiar with both Williams and they felt Damien was closer to a starter coming out of preseason.  I would trust the decision over a larger sample than this small sample where the other one played - but just in the 4th q.

He has to be my biggest regretted drafting person over the last 10 years. Mostly because I knew going into it and he was on my do not draft last, was never a fan for multiple reasons.  But he was the last RB left in his tier group and so I panicked and grabbed him.  Post draft then I talked myself into it being a good pick because he was the lead back on the top offense.  Lesson learned to trust your prep and stick to your guns (you would think after 20 years of drafting I wouldn’t need to be reminding myself of this🤦‍♂️).  
Yeah, complete hindsight. He was going, roughly, as How many RBs in that tier have legitimate upside to finish in the top 5? 

You don't have to be an amazing talent to finish as a #1 (or super-upper-elite) RB in this offense.

He was a great high-risk-high-reward option at his ADP.

Yeah, complete hindsight. He was going, roughly, as How many RBs in that tier have legitimate upside to finish in the top 5? 

You don't have to be an amazing talent to finish as a #1 (or super-upper-elite) RB in this offense.

He was a great high-risk-high-reward option at his ADP.
I don’t disagree, and this is how I justified it.   But for me the risk to reward ratio was much higher then I tend to take at that ADP.  

I don’t disagree, and this is how I justified it.   But for me the risk to reward ratio was much higher then I tend to take at that ADP.  
And if he hadn't been hurt you'd be fine with your investment right now. #### happens.

And he has plenty of opportunity to justify the pick going forward.

Just saying to not give up just yet 

And if he hadn't been hurt you'd be fine with your investment right now. #### happens.

And he has plenty of opportunity to justify the pick going forward.

Just saying to not give up just yet 
Fair enough.  Point taken and I hoping you’re right and I’m wrong.  

I expect Damien Williams to return to his majority 55% role he had before  getting injured.  McCoy didn't get the work horse role while he was out, so I think nothing has changed and its right back where it started.

Also didn't see this level of talk from Reid about how much he trusts Damien like he did about Darrel -- and backed that talk up by playing him in key situations over Shady even after the fumble.

Reid played Damien over Darrel last year. Doesn't that demonstrate trust in Damien over Darrel? And then they went out and signed McCoy over both of them. I think this becomes a 3-way RBBC mess when all three are healthy.

Reid played Damien over Darrel last year. Doesn't that demonstrate trust in Damien over Darrel? And then they went out and signed McCoy over both of them. I think this becomes a 3-way RBBC mess when all three are healthy.
Could be. There's the other school of thought that Reid kept Darrel around as a fourth back even though he drafted Thompson this year.

This really is one of the more intriguing situations, and I think this game at least will start to fill in some of the picture. 

That said, if Damien is healthy, I fully expect him to be given his role back. Another probability is that Damien doesn't fare as well coming back and Reid continues to use Darrel as a hammer and at the stripe. Which will means the 3RBBC mess becomes more likely.

Super interesting situation.

Coach Andy Reid said Friday that the plan right now is that Damien Williams (knee) will play Sunday.

Williams practiced in full all week and is expected to be ready to go for Sunday night. The question is how big of a role he'll have. Damien and Darrel Williams seem to be the offense's primary pass-down RBs after each worked ahead of LeSean McCoy in terms of both pass blocking snaps as well as targets. This leaves Shady to continue to work as the offense's lead early-down back that is also fully capable of handling some pass-game duties. Of course, any role that consists of a near double-digit touch floor inside of the league's No. 1-ranked scoring offense should be just fine for fantasy business.

SOURCE: BJ Kissel on Twitter.

Oct 4, 2019, 2:15 PM ET

I have both D Williams in a league and am going to have to flex one of them this week

Id put the odds of me starting the wrong one at about 95%

😒
I don't see how you can do anything (aside form flexing someone else entirely) but use Damien. Nothing about this says he'll lose his RB2 role to injury, and will be given his slot behind Shady.

This does not meant that Darrel doesn't play at all, or isn't given goal line work or replace Shady in the 4th. This also doesn't preclude Damien from looking pedestrian and Reid just using Darrel from there in-game.

But from pure likelihood of volume, if you have to start one of them, would think safest bet is to go with Damien, and hope for the best.

Damien Williams (knee) is questionable for the Chiefs' Week 5 matchup against the Colts.

Coach Andy Reid said Friday that the plan right now is that Williams will play Sunday. Still, it's surprising to see Williams even have an injury designation after practicing in full all week. He'll work as the offense's lead pass-down back if active, with LeSean McCoy staying plenty involved on early downs. Darrel Williams is expected to take a back seat if Damien and Shady are good to go. It's not the most clear-cut situation in the league, but there's plenty of upside to go around in the NFL's No. 1 scoring offense.

SOURCE: Herbie Teope on Twitter.

Oct 4, 2019, 4:23 PM ET

I don't see how you can do anything (aside form flexing someone else entirely) but use Damien. Nothing about this says he'll lose his RB2 role to injury, and will be given his slot behind Shady.

This does not meant that Darrel doesn't play at all, or isn't given goal line work or replace Shady in the 4th. This also doesn't preclude Damien from looking pedestrian and Reid just using Darrel from there in-game.

But from pure likelihood of volume, if you have to start one of them, would think safest bet is to go with Damien, and hope for the best.
Yes

To make things even more ridiculous,, if Mack doesn’t play I will have to play both Williams’

😂

I have both D Williams in a league and am going to have to flex one of them this week

Id put the odds of me starting the wrong one at about 95%

😒
Yep. Same. I got Damien and Shady. If all 3 go I think I'm just gonna bench em both until the situation clears up. I could play both of them but I also own Ekeler/Melvin, and they're a lot stronger of a duo. Might just go WR for my flex this week.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Damien Williams (questionable, knee) "should" play in Sunday's Week 5 game against the Colts.

We assumed this would be the case after Williams returned to full practice this week. He'll occupy a committee role alongside LeSean McCoy, who has thrived in his debut season with Kansas City (5.3 yards per carry, three touchdowns). Darrel Williams, who vultured a pair of goal-line scores in last week's win over Detroit, will revert to third-string status in what has become a crowded Chiefs backfield.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 6, 2019, 8:14 AM ET

Only one I feel comfortable starting right now is McCoy
Yup. He's got his role carved out, but the others don't.

My guess? Back against a wall? Damien resumes his role but cedes goal line touches to Darrel. That would be my guess.

Damian owner just offered me Curtis Samuel for him. It was tempting since I’ve got Hill & Adams on the bench hurt, but I opted to wait & see - told him I’d revisit if Adams & Hill weren’t back in 2 weeks. My BYE isn’t until week 8, so why deal Darrell now? Shady or Damian could easily go down in the next couple weeks. 

Yup. He's got his role carved out, but the others don't.

My guess? Back against a wall? Damien resumes his role but cedes goal line touches to Darrel. That would be my guess.
Sure hope not, starting him over Howard and need his normal work load. 

I’m thinking he won this job last year with the other DWill on the roster and did the same this offseason.  He should earn it back now.  

This really is a RBBC mess.

Only 11 rushes so far overall in this game, so hard to know what this game means to how this situation could pan out.
Only 11 touches in a game where Mahommes is clearly hobbled only contributes to it being a mess. Damien seems to be ahead of Darrell. But the one role that seemed to be safe was McCoy and now even that seems to be a question mark

Users who are viewing this thread