What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When do we go in and wipe out ISIS? (3 Viewers)

Except for the fact that in the West 2014 was the most peaceful year in recorded history.

American hostage Kayla Jean Mueller was killed in a Jordanian airstrike on Friday on the outskirts of the northern Syrian city of Raqqa, the militant group's main stronghold.

Yeah, um, right. What an obvious and weak attempt to try and get us and Jordan arguing these bombing runs. Keep it going Jordan, wipe them out.

Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. Fascism was a failed concept, as was Communism. The Muslim world is still living in the dark ages and at what point do we start to call out the obvious - that their views on violence, intolerance, and misogyny just don't work in the 21st century? And why is it inappropriate to ask these questions?
You don't get around much, do you? Misogyny isn't specific to Islam. It's kind of everywhere. Check out Twitter sometime.

American hostage Kayla Jean Mueller was killed in a Jordanian airstrike on Friday on the outskirts of the northern Syrian city of Raqqa, the militant group's main stronghold.

Yeah, um, right. What an obvious and weak attempt to try and get us and Jordan arguing these bombing runs. Keep it going Jordan, wipe them out.
If I were in her shoes, I would welcome that end vs. the one ISIS probably had planned for her.

If I were in her shoes, I would welcome that end vs. the one ISIS probably had planned for her.
Judging by how they lied about the pilot being alive for a month, I wouldn't be surprised if she already died a horrible death before the airstrikes.

Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. Fascism was a failed concept, as was Communism. The Muslim world is still living in the dark ages and at what point do we start to call out the obvious - that their views on violence, intolerance, and misogyny just don't work in the 21st century? And why is it inappropriate to ask these questions?
You don't get around much, do you? Misogyny isn't specific to Islam. It's kind of everywhere. Check out Twitter sometime.
I think the better question is if you get around much. That you would compare Muslim misogyny to America based on what you see being said on social media pretty much answers that question.

Except for the fact that in the West 2014 was the most peaceful year in recorded history.
Ok... But, the hypothetical was:

Pretty much. Take away law and order in this country and we go back into mid-evil times within a month. The exact same things we see in the middle east would be happening here.
That explains the ME the last few years. But what about the 48 years before that? That's my point - they've gone through periods of very strict law and order and the results have still been the same with regard to terrorism, intolerance, and not playing well in the international sandbox.

Thank Allah we got rid of all of the violence and murder. The West is perfect now. :thumbup:
Not sure what you are trying to say, but the unprecedented peace and prosperity in the West has nothing to do with what is going on in the rest of the world. If anything it is complete validation that the Western model of secular democracy rooted in Christian beliefs works much better than Islamic theocracies.

Have they ever let a hostage go? Might have to assume they're dead as soon as they're captured.

I think the better question is if you get around much. That you would compare Muslim misogyny to America based on what you see being said on social media pretty much answers that question.
You'll get no argument from me that places like Saudi Arabia and more "rustic" parts of Pakistan and India are kind of deplorable for their treatment of women. That said, this is not limited to the Muslim or Arab world either.

In NYC, for example: Orthodox Jews Caught Acting Like Orthodox Jews on Semi-Public Bus

Thank Allah we got rid of all of the violence and murder. The West is perfect now. :thumbup:
Not sure what you are trying to say, but the unprecedented peace and prosperity in the West has nothing to do with what is going on in the rest of the world. If anything it is complete validation that the Western model of secular democracy rooted in Christian beliefs works much better than Islamic theocracies.
Christian beliefs have nothing to do with it.

Pretty much. Take away law and order in this country and we go back into mid-evil times within a month. The exact same things we see in the middle east would be happening here.
That explains the ME the last few years. But what about the 48 years before that? That's my point - they've gone through periods of very strict law and order and the results have still been the same with regard to terrorism, intolerance, and not playing well in the international sandbox.
Dude, study some ME history.

Take away our democracy and install a dictator and you get the same result.

Which is it?

They most certainly do. We can debate how much of an impact Christianity has had on the success of the West, but to say it has no effect is intellectually dishonest. The West is rooted in Christianity. It's not an opinion, it's fact.

Which is it?
It's both. You can have a church, a state, and separation of church and state.

You'll get no argument from me that places like Saudi Arabia and more "rustic" parts of Pakistan and India are kind of deplorable for their treatment of women. That said, this is not limited to the Muslim or Arab world either.In NYC, for example: Orthodox Jews Caught Acting Like Orthodox Jews on Semi-Public Bus
Wake up call - http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/4558.htmNice to see her father refuse to forgive her despite her pleas right before she is stoned to death. Better yet, good to see Dad take part in the stoning. All in the name of Allah.

Last edited:
My point is that the West is not perfect. Just because you label it as the most peaceful time ever, doesn't mean it was actually peaceful. One doesn't equal the other.

You'll get no argument from me that places like Saudi Arabia and more "rustic" parts of Pakistan and India are kind of deplorable for their treatment of women. That said, this is not limited to the Muslim or Arab world either.In NYC, for example: Orthodox Jews Caught Acting Like Orthodox Jews on Semi-Public Bus
Wake up call - http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/4558.htmNice to see her father refuse to forgive her despite her pleas right before she is stoned to death. Better yet, good to see Dad take part in the stoning. All in the name of Allah.
let's just let her die! http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120823/canada-lets-makayla-sault-die-leukemia-over-religious-sensitivity

They most certainly do. We can debate how much of an impact Christianity has had on the success of the West, but to say it has no effect is intellectually dishonest. The West is rooted in Christianity. It's not an opinion, it's fact.
If Christianity has had at some impact on the success of the West in your opinion, then why was 2014 in the West "the most peaceful year in recorded history"? Shouldn't we have done better when there were more Christians and fewer Muslims and atheists around?

Like say for example the crime and recession-filled late 80s and early 90s? How about the era of segregation and lynchings? Civil War and slavery? In each of those eras our country was far more Christian than it is now, and much less Muslim/Jewish/atheist/other. How can that possibly be the case if Christianity is supposed to make things better (and Islam is supposed to make things worse)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is it?
It's both. You can have a church, a state, and separation of church and state.
Ahh. Your comment made it sound like you were saying the "state" was rooted in the "church", but you do agree that the state and church are actually separate.

My point is that the West is not perfect. Just because you label it as the most peaceful time ever, doesn't mean it was actually peaceful. One doesn't equal the other.
It's not my opinion. It's fact. There were several reports and academic studies that came out at the end of 2014. Look it up.

It's not my opinion. It's fact. There were several reports and academic studies that came out at the end of 2014. Look it up.
I didn't say what you said was incorrect. I said the conclusion you gleaned from it is incorrect.

Crazy how 2014 was the the most peaceful time in the history of the West while Muslim populations are booming in Europe and the United States.

It's interesting that you guys all would rather challenge Christianity rather than address my original questions about Islam. I'm beginning to wonder if you are scared?

It's interesting that you guys all would rather challenge Christianity rather than address my original questions about Islam. I'm beginning to wonder if you are scared?
It's interesting that you think people are challenging Christianity rather than using it as an obvious counterexample to point out the problems with your position on Islam. I'm beginning to wonder if you are scared of actually making a legitimate defense of your position rather than skirting around it with nonsense like this.

There are a lot of academic studies out there ranking the best places to live in the world, measuring factors like overall happiness, prosperity, crime rate, quality of life, life expectancy...

So can anyone find a valid study that shows a Muslim country rated highly? I'm not trolling either. I'd be genuinely interested in seeing such a study.

It's even more interesting that you ignore the people who actually answered your question with their opinion. I'm beginning to wonder if your inquiry was genuine.

There are a lot of academic studies out there ranking the best places to live in the world, measuring factors like overall happiness, prosperity, crime rate, quality of life, life expectancy...

So can anyone find a valid study that shows a Muslim country rated highly? I'm not trolling either. I'd be genuinely interested in seeing such a study.
South American countries are extremely Christian. I bet a lot of them aren't on that list.

The UAE did better than the United States here. Took me 10 seconds to find it. Oman and Qatar are also in the top 30.

It's interesting that you think people are challenging Christianity rather than using it as an obvious counterexample to point out the problems with your position on Islam. I'm beginning to wonder if you are scared of actually making a legitimate defense of your position rather than skirting around it with nonsense like this.
No, the issue here is Radical Islam, and whether the problem in the ME is rooted in a fundamental failure in its one religion - a religion that dictates not only the structure of the governments many of the countries but also in its judiciary through sharia law. I asked the question, and thus far the response has been not to address the legitimate issues that are plaguing Muslim countries today (ie - the topic of this conversation) but to focus instead on the historical travails of Christianity.It's what you do best Tobias, deflect the question and cast blame elsewhere.

It is were not so tragic it was almost comical watching the two ISIS guys saying to the father a number of times "Come on..forgive her" right before smashing her head in.

Have you seen what's happening in Dearborn, Michigan, the second highest muslim population outside of the ME?

No, the issue here is Radical Islam, and whether the problem in the ME is rooted in a fundamental failure in its one religion - a religion that dictates not only the structure of the governments many of the countries but also in its judiciary through sharia law. I asked the question, and thus far the response has been not to address the legitimate issues that are plaguing Muslim countries today (ie - the topic of this conversation) but to focus instead on the historical travails of Christianity.It's what you do best Tobias, deflect the question and cast blame elsewhere.
You asked the question (although you actually staked out a position), and then ducked literally every response you've received. And now you're claiming that everyone is focusing on the historical travails of Christianity when it fact you brought it up. It's what you best- duck valid responses and questions and instead opt for more inflammatory nonsense.

Protip: don't conflate "Radical Islam" with all Muslims, much less those in the ME. "Radical Islam" is its own brand of awful.

Crazy how 2014 was the the most peaceful time in the history of the West while Muslim populations are booming in Europe and the United States.
Still waiting to hear from you on how we pulled this off with so many of those darn Muslims around.

The UAE did better than the United States here. Took me 10 seconds to find it. Oman and Qatar are also in the top 30.
Once again, deflecting away from a direct question by comparing it to something different. I ask you to find a study where a Muslim country is rated highly, and you come back with a report showing the UAE is "happier" than the USA. And meanwhile the top 13 on the list are all Western countries.My question - once again - is getting at whether Islam is in fact a failed religion for its countries. It's a question that nobody wants to answer, or even talk about.

Put another way, there is one very successful country in the ME. Guess which one it is? And guess what religion it is not?

Once again, deflecting away from a direct question by comparing it to something different. I ask you to find a study where a Muslim country is rated highly, and you come back with a report showing the UAE is "happier" than the USA. And meanwhile the top 13 on the list are all Western countries.My question - once again - is getting at whether Islam is in fact a failed religion for its countries. It's a question that nobody wants to answer, or even talk about.

Put another way, there is one very successful country in the ME. Guess which one it is? And guess what religion it is not?
What are your thoughts on Turkey?

Oh good lord.

Ranking 14th out of 156 countries is "ranking highly" by any reasonable interpretation. So is wherever Oman and Qatar were ranked.

You're obviously afraid to respond to substantive responses and are trolling with thinly veiled bigotry. I'm done here. Hope the real person behind this alias' nonsense has a good weekend.

You asked the question (although you actually staked out a position), and then ducked literally every response you've received. And now you're claiming that everyone is focusing on the historical travails of Christianity when it fact you brought it up. It's what you best- duck valid responses and questions and instead opt for more inflammatory nonsense.
No - you guys turned this into a referendum on Christianity. My question remains, and you refuse to eve investigate it intelligently. How is Islam and sharia law serving its people, and serving the progress of humanity?Face it dude - you are either incapable of having such a discussion or you are scared to. If it's the latter, it's understandable. People have been murdered for even raising such blasphemous questions. If you scared, fine - just don't respond. But don't start diverting the issue with your shook and jive bs.

Oh good lord.

Ranking 14th out of 156 countries is "ranking highly" by any reasonable interpretation. So is wherever Oman and Qatar were ranked.

You're obviously afraid to respond to substantive responses and are trolling with thinly veiled bigotry. I'm done here. Hope the real person behind this alias' nonsense has a good weekend.
MOP

you mean the one that treats some of its residents as a near permanent underclass? or the one that allows women to be treated as 2nd class citizens?

What are your thoughts on Turkey?
That's a great response, ad that's the one country I was going to mention. Of course Turkey also has a long history with Christianity though, so it makes the analysis a little more difficult. But it is undoubtedly a great country.

Users who are viewing this thread