What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (3 Viewers)

good luck with that.. I see no way, other then creating a new policy, that they could suspend a player for a year, when the new policy clearly states 6 games..
That's the new Domastic Violence policy. Peterson falls under the Personal Conduct Policy (aka the "Embarrassing the League" provision). On the latter, Goodell still has very wide discretion.

Fair or unfair, the players will have to figure out a way to negotiate some other personal conduct provisions during the next CBA battle. The NFLPA will be in the position of having to give up more money for players (or some other perk) in exchange for a different conduct policy.

From an attorney's pov--and from AP's pov--I'm not sure that it should show more remorse. It does show enough to suggest that he is reconsidering his actions but this whole situation gets into personal judgments--right or wrong--about the proper ways to raise a child. I am old enough to remember when being sent out for your own switch was commonplace. The concept "Spare the rod and spoil the child" goes back centuries and often in a religious context. Personally I have always avoided corporal punishment but growing up we had it administered by teachers and other authority figures as well as parents--it's well within traditional child rearing norms, though we tend to question those norms now.
I don't think the amount of remorse matters, because Goodell (like any good lawyer) would use it against him regardless, either by accusing Peterson of crocodile tears or by claiming that the remorse is just more evidence of his guilt.

I have to live with the fact that when I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child, I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen. I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child. I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate.

I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward.
:goodposting: and something I pointed out before.... Goodell stated that part of his decision was how ADP reacted to being charged in the first place, but didn't take into account anything he said or did later.. seems Goodell said "No sign of remorse or thoughts to change" when the Bold part states the opposite.
That's not remorse. Someone who is reemorseful acknowledges guilt, takes accountability for doing wrong, expresses regret that they've done harm, etc. All I see him saying here is basically:

"I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child" -> It's not my fault, this is the way I was raised.

"I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen" -> I didn't mean to do anything bad, so you shouldn't hold it against me.

"I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child." -> But I don't agree with them, I still think what I did was appropriate parental discipline.

"I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate." -> My way of disciplining my child was appropriate, but I have been told that there are other ways that other people think might be more appropriate.

"I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward." -> I'll "reevaluate" how I do things, but no promise that I won't continue to do things the way I have in the past. I still think I did nothing wrong.

And it makes sense that this statement was prepared for him in this way. IIRC this was released very shortly after the story broke, before he went to court or anything. The strategy at the time was to paint this as if he'd done nothing wrong. But this statement doesn't show a whole lot of remorse at all, and I'm not sure anything he's said or done since then has, either.

I see no way, other then creating a new policy, that they could suspend a player for a year, when the new policy clearly states 6 games.
Effective immediately, violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.
AWESOME.. So they have an out.. Can't believe the Players Union agreed to that. :lol:

NFL representitives reiterating this morning that AP placed himself on the CEL voluntarily and that his paid leave was in no way communicated as a punishment. Seems someone is full of poop here. So he can place himself on the CEL voluntarily but he can't remove himself voluntarily? Interesting how that system works.
As I said.. There is no way in hell another player will voluntarily put himself on that list now that the arbitrator ruled you can be placed on their indefinitely based on what the Commissioner wants to do..

Going to make it interesting what they do when the next player is accused with abuse.. Do you suspend him for 6 games now.. Do you let him play until his case is heard in court and then suspend him??

Goddell basically threw this bargaining chip out the door with his handling of it. :bye:
Or he can be given the choice, we suspend you indefintely now pending the outcome of your case or go on the CEL.

Audio here of AP attorney Rusty Hardin on the Dan Patrick Show this morning:

http://www.danpatrick.com/2014/11/19/rusty-hardin-nfl-using-peterson-make-point/

Rusty Hardin: NFL using Peterson to make a pointRusty Hardin, the attorney for Adrian Peterson, joined the show to talk about the latest developments in the case.

Hardin says that Peterson believes this kind of discipline is why he is such a successful person. Hardin said that millions of other families feel the same way. Hardin said that Peterson made a mistake with how far the punishment went.

Hardin also said the NFL is using Peterson for its own reasons. “The NFL wants to make a point at his expense,” Hardin said.

Hardin said that Peterson is going stir-crazy and works out about three times a day. He’s not sure why Peterson isn’t talking now.
Also - Hardin expecting (hoping) an independent arbitrator be appointed for the appeal and that a lawsuit will not be necessary.

Who told Adrian that he would be accorded "time served"? - Hardin says he doesn't know anything about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to Hardin - assuming no abuse or injury is caused, does Roget Goodell have the right to instruct Adrian Peterson to not use a switch on his child in a legal manner?

Listening to Hardin - assuming no abuse or injury is caused, does Roget Goodell have the right to instruct Adrian Peterson to not use a switch on his child in a legal manner?
I don't even think it's about that at all. It's more like "Embarrass the league in any conceivable manner, and be subject to Goodell's whim."

To take your hypothetical, and expand upon it a bit: let's say Peterson took a switch and hit his son's rear end in public ,,, say, in the parking lot of a grocery store. Just a few quick swats over jeans ... no welts or anything like that. No leaf-stuffing or anything superfluous.

But lets add that a few people took cellphone video of that swatting, and those videos made it to YouTube or TMZ or whatever. Peterson never gets charged, nothing like that -- but those videos are out there. I think Peterson still gets suspended for some length of time, and in the post Ray-Rice era ... it wouldn't be a two-game slap on the wrist. Six games would be the starting point.

If they tried to suspend him for a year, they would have lost.
Why? Goodell's policy specifically says that he can extend the suspension if circumstances warrant it. (And "circumstances" in this case is defined as "whatever Roger Goodell wants it to mean").
Or the lack of remorse (which Goodell pointed out in the letter) Peterson showed after he was caught. Ultimately that's what did him in.
Did Goodell ignore Peterson's press release like he ignored Rice's video tape?

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Statement-From-Adrian-Peterson/aabb41f8-1afe-4133-8b30-71390b6a3fbf

My attorney has asked me not to discuss the facts of my pending case. I hope you can respect that request and help me honor it. I very much want the public to hear from me but I understand that it is not appropriate to talk about the facts in detail at this time. Nevertheless, I want everyone to understand how sorry I feel about the hurt I have brought to my child.

I never wanted to be a distraction to the Vikings organization, the Minnesota community or to my teammates. I never imagined being in a position where the world is judging my parenting skills or calling me a child abuser because of the discipline I administered to my son.

I voluntarily appeared before the grand jury several weeks ago to answer any and all questions they had. Before my grand jury appearance, I was interviewed by two different police agencies without an attorney. In each of these interviews I have said the same thing, and that is that I never ever intended to harm my son. I will say the same thing once I have my day in court.

I have to live with the fact that when I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child, I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen. I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child. I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate.

I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward. But deep in my heart I have always believed I could have been one of those kids that was lost in the streets without the discipline instilled in me by my parents and other relatives. I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man. I love my son and I will continue to become a better parent and learn from any mistakes I ever make.

I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury. No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my son and for the harm I caused him. My goal is always to teach my son right from wrong and that's what I tried to do that day.

I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my son very much and I will continue to try to become a better father and person.
That came from cheapremorsestatements.com.

Goodell is taking a lot of criticism for his handling of this, and rightly so. But I can't help but think that Hardin (and perhaps the NFLPA) has also completely botched Peterson's defense as it relates to the NFL. When one entity has close to total discretion on a ruling of your client, to me it would make sense to try to work with and be compliant with that entity's requests, even if it's not standard lawyer practice.

Or I'm completely wrong assuming this could have played out any other way? ie Peterson being more willing to meet with the NFL about the case, more remorseful and proactive about admitting guilt, etc leading to him being on the field this season

The reason he can do that with marijuana is that it's illegal on the Federal level.
It seems that you continue to think that the league outcome is directly tied to the legal outcome...

This point has been made so many times it's weird that people keep making this mistake.
I think you're still doing it. The reason Goodell can suspend players for using marijuana is the same reason he can suspend them for beating children or bullying a teammate or making homophobic remarks on Twitter or hitting someone helmet-to-helmet during a game, even though most of those things aren't illegal. It's part of league policy, just like my employer can fire me for violating company policies (or for pretty much any reason), even if I'm not breaking any laws.

While criminal activity is clearly outside the scope of permissible conduct, and persons who engage in criminal activity will be subject to discipline, the standard of conduct for persons employed in the NFL is considerably higher. It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful.

Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime. Discipline may be imposed in any of the following circumstances:

- Criminal offenses including, but not limited to, those involving: the use or threat of violence; domestic violence and other forms of partner abuse; theft and other property crimes; sex offenses; obstruction or resisting arrest; disorderly conduct; fraud; racketeering; and money laundering;

- Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances, or substances of abuse;

- Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace;

- Possession of a gun or other weapon in any workplace setting, including but not limited to stadiums, team facilities, training camp, locker rooms, team planes, buses, parking lots, etc., or unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace;

- Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person; and

- Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.

Bottom line: Peterson's legal options are limited and his best bet for returning to the NFL is to meet with Goodell and present a compelling case to be let back in.
You forgot to bold the most important part. In retrospect it was a bad move by the lawyer/players association to advise Peterson to flip the NFL the bird and skip Friday meeting. I thought that was a bad move when I heard about it.

You forgot to bold the most important part. In retrospect it was a bad move by the lawyer/players association to advise Peterson to flip the NFL the bird and skip Friday meeting. I thought that was a bad move when I heard about it.
The NFLPA doesn't seem to understand that the NFL has a lot of uncodified power. Mighty be unfairly arbitrary, but there you go.

Bottom line: Peterson's legal options are limited and his best bet for returning to the NFL is to meet with Goodell and present a compelling case to be let back in.
:goodposting: on all.

Peterson wants to be mad at someone. Be mad at NFLPA for wording in the agreement & advising him to skip the meeting with Goodell.

The NFLPA doesn't seem to understand that the NFL has a lot of uncodified power. Mighty be unfairly arbitrary, but there you go.
The NFL does have a lot of power and is very popular right now but could this hubris lead to their demise like Mark Cuban made mention to a while back. He wasn't referring to this meting of punishment directly but it all becomes part of an idea that they can do no wrong. I think trying to control every action and account for things that really don't concern them is causing more problems than what they're worth. Let the courts deal with these issues and punish the players. It becomes a slippery slope. Like someone mentioned before, what is next? Speeding? Not paying your taxes?

Hopefully the players will have some fortitude when the CBA is over and fight the owners until the bitter end. Tired of the NFL being turned into some PR platform.

The NFL does have a lot of power and is very popular right now but could this hubris lead to their demise like Mark Cuban made mention to a while back. He wasn't referring to this meting of punishment directly but it all becomes part of an idea that they can do no wrong. I think trying to control every action and account for things that really don't concern them is causing more problems than what they're worth. Let the courts deal with these issues and punish the players. It becomes a slippery slope. Like someone mentioned before, what is next? Speeding? Not paying your taxes?
In this case, clearly the misplaced hubris was not coming from the NFL side of the field. The NFL actually has the power to back up the ego. Unfortunately for AP, that "victory" plea deal most likely added to the pomposity of taking such a stance vs the NFL, and I believe NFLPA was using him as a pawn to set precedent. This is a case where the union placed their welfare above AP's and AP's lawyer should have been able to figure this out for him and cut ties with the NFLPA on the decision to skip the meeting. Fact is he should have been there hat in hand with a laundry list of changes he had already made in his life along with a todo list for his plans in the future, one that would impress a domestic violence expert. It should not take too long for a lawyer with APs resources to figure out what they wanted to hear, probably not more than even a day's research. They took another approach. :doh:

In this case, clearly the misplaced hubris was not coming from the NFL side of the field. The NFL actually has the power to back up the ego. Unfortunately for AP, that "victory" plea deal most likely added to the pomposity of taking such a stance vs the NFL, and I believe NFLPA was using him as a pawn to set precedent. This is a case where the union placed their welfare above AP's and AP's lawyer should have been able to figure this out for him and cut ties with the NFLPA on the decision to skip the meeting. Fact is he should have been there hat in hand with a laundry list of changes he had already made in his life along with a todo list for his plans in the future, one that would impress a domestic violence expert. It should not take too long for a lawyer with APs resources to figure out what they wanted to hear, probably not more than even a day's research. They took another approach. :doh:
They may have the power to back up the ego now but I am suggesting that they are hurting the brand going forward by continuing this path. How can they go back from all of these precedents now? They ask remorse and learning of Peterson and others but I don't think that THEY have learned from any of these issues. They keep reacting without any form of a plan. I understand that some of these issues cannot be planned for but why do they need to add more discipline when the legal system has already spoken. Why do they think that the NFL is so important that they need to administer extra punishment? Can they add punishment? Of course they can but should they?

Your (and Cuban's) greater point stands -- I don't think the NFL is long-term bulletproof either.

But as for the bolded -- remember, for the NFL, it's not at all about lawbreaking. It's about embarrassing the league through the eyes of the commissioner (read: the owners' flak vest). So long as the speeding and tax evasion stay out of the news, the NFL won't ever act.

Your (and Cuban's) greater point stands -- I don't think the NFL is long-term bulletproof either.

But as for the bolded -- remember, for the NFL, it's not at all about lawbreaking. It's about embarrassing the league through the eyes of the commissioner (read: the owners' flak vest). So long as the speeding and tax evasion stay out of the news, the NFL won't ever act.
Part of that is my point. If the league didn't try and add additional punishment for acts outside of the league then the bad press wouldn't be directed at the league when players do these things but at the individual players and the courts as they should be.

You guys make some great points, but much of the language in this thread shows disdain for the NFL, and where would the players be without the NFL? Flipping burgers? It's in the best interest of both the players and the NFL to have good PR. This isn't a case where one side can win out entirely without the other on board. A lot of posts come across as anti authoritative towards the NFL, but their authority is what got the NFL where it is today. No player would be worth the millions of dollars without the NFL. Conversely, the NFL could survive without ANY OF THE PLAYERS currently playing in the NFL on a single case by case basis. The league would survive without them.

The only bargaining chip is if all players strike at the same time, thus the NFLPA is born, however on a case by case basis the players association will always be working from a submissive position, not a position of power. The player that misbehaves, breaks laws, etc. needs to understand this. The player needs the NFL, but the NFL doesn't need the player. Even the NBA survived after Jordan left the game and there is nobody in the NFL that approaches the value that Jordan gave the NBA, no one player than you can say, the NFL won't survive it when he retires. So essentially you have a position that can never be won by the player in taking a position of power or rebellion, because the player needs the NFL, not the other way around. Only a contrite heart need apply for forgiveness, and you better make sure you are aligned with the NFL when it comes to PR or you're gone.

Part of that is my point. If the league didn't try and add additional punishment for acts outside of the league then the bad press wouldn't be directed at the league when players do these things but at the individual players and the courts as they should be.
There was already bad press for the league based on the player's actions before Goodell made conduct such an issue.

But I don't think there's any arguing that his emphasis on conduct has made those actions even higher profile than they were before. Then on top of it the inconsistent manner in which the discipline has been handled added a whole new layer of publicity to it and soured relations with the players.

NFL representitives reiterating this morning that AP placed himself on the CEL voluntarily and that his paid leave was in no way communicated as a punishment. Seems someone is full of poop here. So he can place himself on the CEL voluntarily but he can't remove himself voluntarily? Interesting how that system works.
As I said.. There is no way in hell another player will voluntarily put himself on that list now that the arbitrator ruled you can be placed on their indefinitely based on what the Commissioner wants to do..Going to make it interesting what they do when the next player is accused with abuse.. Do you suspend him for 6 games now.. Do you let him play until his case is heard in court and then suspend him??

Goddell basically threw this bargaining chip out the door with his handling of it. :bye:
Or he can be given the choice, we suspend you indefintely now pending the outcome of your case or go on the CEL.
Just like he did with Ray McDonald. Oh wait.

Mort saying that the Vikings claim of Ben Tate rules out ADP return this year.
At least for 1-2 games until Tate is hurt.

edit: I don't think the Vikings want him back this year or next year. They were going to lose sponsors if he kept playing for them. They're a business and not about to throw away that money.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2014/11/19/rusty-hardin-nfl-using-peterson-make-point/
Hardin sounds like an ineffective whiner there, not full of braggadocio like awhile ago. His client won a small battle (bargained down to misdemeanor assault in court) and lost the war (playing in the NFL this year). There's no way Peterson followed the course he did regarding the NFL without Hardin's advice.

As I said.. There is no way in hell another player will voluntarily put himself on that list now that the arbitrator ruled you can be placed on their indefinitely based on what the Commissioner wants to do..Going to make it interesting what they do when the next player is accused with abuse.. Do you suspend him for 6 games now.. Do you let him play until his case is heard in court and then suspend him??

Yes, those cases are so similar. Except for the fact that no public evidence ever surfaced and McDonald never plead out or was even charged for that matter. But yeah, just like Goodell did with McDonald.

Hardin sounds like an ineffective whiner there, not full of braggadocio like awhile ago. His client won a small battle (bargained down to misdemeanor assault in court) and lost the war (playing in the NFL this year). There's no way Peterson followed the course he did regarding the NFL without Hardin's advice.
Yeah I was pretty surprised, he sounds very :shrug: there.

So are we okay with dropping Peterson in redraft, now? Obviously nothing is 100% certain but just looking for some confirmation.

Troy Vincent admits mentioning “time served” to Peterson, disputes contextOn Tuesday, the NFLPA alleged that “an NFL executive told Adrian that his time on the Commissioner’s list would be considered as time served.”

The NFL executive in question was NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent. He admits telling Peterson that time served while suspended with pay would be considered, but that the issue could be considered only if Peterson showed up for last Friday’s meeting/hearing/whatever it was regarding Peterson’s status.

“But Adrian, you’ve got to come talk,” Vincent said, recalling to Tom Pelissero of USA Today what Vincent told Peterson. “You, your team, your counselors, whoever. Just come and tell us where you are.”

Some (e.g., me) would say that it ultimately wouldn’t have mattered. That the broader decision was made back in the middle of September that Peterson wouldn’t play again this year, and that specific decisions would be made based on the facts as they unfolded to ensure that Peterson wouldn’t play again this year. If he’d shown up for the meeting/hearing/whatever it was, if he’s gone to trial and been acquitted, or if some other series of events had unfolded, the NFL wasn’t putting Peterson back on the field in 2014.

Regardless, it sounds as if “time served” wouldn’t have been considered at all, because NFL general counsel Jeff Pash believes that Peterson served no time at all.

He hasn’t served any time,” Pash told ESPN Radio on Wednesday. “He was on paid leave. He was being paid for the entire time that he was out. In no corporate setting is that considered discipline. We don’t consider it discipline here. We didn’t take his money back as part of the action that the Commissioner decided on yesterday. So the concept of ‘time served,’ I think, is a misnomer here.”

Still, it’s indisputable that Peterson already has missed nine games. The easy and fair solution would have been to fine him for one or more of the game checks he received while not playing. But that may have prevented the NFL from achieving the predetermined outcome of Peterson not playing again in 2014. So logic and common sense are ignored, because logic and common sense conflict with the desired result.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/19/troy-vincent-admits-mentioning-time-served-to-peterson-disputes-context/related/

In its statement on Peterson, the NFLPA again accused the league of implementing "a new and arbitrary disciplinary proceeding" and said a league executive told Peterson he'd receive credit for time served after a nine-week, initially voluntary stay on the exempt list.

Vincent acknowledges it was him who told Peterson that time away would be considered when weighing additional discipline in light of the 29-year-old running back's no-contest plea to a misdemeanor reckless assault charge...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/11/18/nfl-players-union-nflpa-divide-growing/19255205/

If I've been genuinely surprised by anything throughout this ordeal, it's how hard it seems Mike Florio's been shilling for Peterson. I don't know if that should actually be surprising, I don't read PFT and the only reason I know Florio's name is because I think he is sometimes on NBC. I guess I assumed he was more of a reporter and less of a commentator, but it feels like every time I've read an editorial coming down hard on the league, Florio's name is in the byline.

If I've been genuinely surprised by anything throughout this ordeal, it's how hard it seems Mike Florio's been shilling for Peterson. I don't know if that should actually be surprising, I don't read PFT and the only reason I know Florio's name is because I think he is sometimes on NBC. I guess I assumed he was more of a reporter and less of a commentator, but it feels like every time I've read an editorial coming down hard on the league, Florio's name is in the byline.
I get the sense that the PFT rumor mill comes from agents a fair amount, and in this case (as you may have said) he's being fed by the union and maybe AP's camp. I actually agree with a lot of what he and the union are saying though, it seems totally rational. And I don't think the league has acted according to Hoyle, to put it mildly. If anyone expected a rational result in this case, that was a mistake. 15 games, 16 weeks, that's the penalty, and it's indefinite after that unless AP meets the requirements of how Goodell approves his lifestyle and manner of child rea.

People talking about where Peterson will play next year. Do you think he will be submitting himself for regular evaluations by Goodell's team of experts? I don't think that's a slam dunk at all.

So are we okay with dropping Peterson in redraft, now? Obviously nothing is 100% certain but just looking for some confirmation.
I'm wondering the same thing, but with the Ben Tate claim, I'm thinking that while nothing is 100% certain, I see it as unlikely that Peterson plays this season.

Mort saying that the Vikings claim of Ben Tate rules out ADP return this year.
At least for 1-2 games until Tate is hurt.

edit: I don't think the Vikings want him back this year or next year. They were going to lose sponsors if he kept playing for them. They're a business and not about to throw away that money.
Those sponsors are full of ####. "Oh Pepsi you're pulling your sponsorship you say? Mindy get me coke on line 1. Tell them that opening they were looking for is here."

Yes, those cases are so similar. Except for the fact that no public evidence ever surfaced and McDonald never plead out or was even charged for that matter. But yeah, just like Goodell did with McDonald.
Ray McDonald charged 8/31/14

Ray McDonald charges dropped 11/10/14

Guess they got lucky no pictures surfaced in those 2.5 months while Ray still played.

Troy Vincent admits mentioning time served to Peterson, disputes context

On Tuesday, the NFLPA alleged that an NFL executive told Adrian that his time on the Commissioners list would be considered as time served.

The NFL executive in question was NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent. He admits telling Peterson that time served while suspended with pay would be considered, but that the issue could be considered only if Peterson showed up for last Fridays meeting/hearing/whatever it was regarding Petersons status.

But Adrian, youve got to come talk, Vincent said, recalling to Tom Pelissero of USA Today what Vincent told Peterson. You, your team, your counselors, whoever. Just come and tell us where you are.

Some (e.g., me) would say that it ultimately wouldnt have mattered. That the broader decision was made back in the middle of September that Peterson wouldnt play again this year, and that specific decisions would be made based on the facts as they unfolded to ensure that Peterson wouldnt play again this year. If hed shown up for the meeting/hearing/whatever it was, if hes gone to trial and been acquitted, or if some other series of events had unfolded, the NFL wasnt putting Peterson back on the field in 2014.

Regardless, it sounds as if time served wouldnt have been considered at all, because NFL general counsel Jeff Pash believes that Peterson served no time at all.

He hasnt served any time, Pash told ESPN Radio on Wednesday. He was on paid leave. He was being paid for the entire time that he was out. In no corporate setting is that considered discipline. We dont consider it discipline here. We didnt take his money back as part of the action that the Commissioner decided on yesterday. So the concept of time served, I think, is a misnomer here.

Still, its indisputable that Peterson already has missed nine games. The easy and fair solution would have been to fine him for one or more of the game checks he received while not playing. But that may have prevented the NFL from achieving the predetermined outcome of Peterson not playing again in 2014. So logic and common sense are ignored, because logic and common sense conflict with the desired result.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/19/troy-vincent-admits-mentioning-time-served-to-peterson-disputes-context/related/

In its statement on Peterson, the NFLPA again accused the league of implementing "a new and arbitrary disciplinary proceeding" and said a league executive told Peterson he'd receive credit for time served after a nine-week, initially voluntary stay on the exempt list.

Vincent acknowledges it was him who told Peterson that time away would be considered when weighing additional discipline in light of the 29-year-old running back's no-contest plea to a misdemeanor reckless assault charge...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/11/18/nfl-players-union-nflpa-divide-growing/19255205/
So come to this extra last second meeting we just set up or the deals off. Seems fair.

Florio's been hard on the NFL for awhile now, for setting their own rules, not following them, and setting new rules without any regard for anything but what they want at that particular moment. This isn't the first time he got sucked into thinking something might actually change. A lot of us here, both pro- and anti- Peterson are equally as hard on Goodell for the same reason. But this was never a situation where you had to pick one being right and one being wrong. Yes, Goodell probably trampled on league procedures like he's done before. Yes, Peterson deserved the boot for the year. You can believe both things.

Users who are viewing this thread