What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (4 Viewers)

#3 in heavy RB favorable league. Was locked into whichever fell between DJ, Bell & Elliott & now staring down the barrel of McCoy, Freeman & Ajayi. Heart says Shady but brain says Freeman. I'm not afraid of Coleman & Atlanta's offense is going to roll. Yeah Shady is the man in Buffalo but their offense scares me, he's 29 & now Michelin Man is just waiting for that 1 yd plunge.

I tempted to play Russian roulette with Elliott & that injunction but just can't do it. 

I'm a Bills homer and despite going out of my way to get Shady last year, I just have a bad feeling about this year.

The OL from last year has returned, but it's a zone scheme with Rick Dennison and they didn't look very good this preseason. The only times they looked good running was when Jonathan Williams was in there, whatever that's worth (he's gone now). McCoy had a great season last year, but he did have his hamstring injuries that always seem to flare up for him. At age 29, he's still a very shifty back so he doesn't generally take many big hits. But this offense is going to be bad.

An offense switching to a new scheme, with the limited passing ability of Tyrod, with their best 2 WRs being a rookie 2nd rounder and Jordan Matthews. There's not a lot of upside there. Sammy used to be able to keep defenses honest when he was in there as he could take the top off a defense at any point. Nobody on the team can do that now. Granted they could still run effectively without Sammy in there as well. The scheme change, OL performance this preseason, Shady's age, and the general awfulness this offense will be has scared me away from Shady this year.

Based on McDermatitis's statment today, and them gutting the entire roster, talented or not, cheap contract or not, I would not be surprised in the least if they're going to pound McCoy all season as they don't plan on keeping him next year and beyond. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. The good news is he will get reps. The bad news is that he will take a beating and is likely to miss some games as he generally does.

This team is a dumpster fire. I know McCoy is very determined to break his milestone rushing yardage goal this year, for what that's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Bills homer and despite going out of my way to get Shady last year, I just have a bad feeling about this year.

The OL from last year has returned, but it's a zone scheme with Rick Dennison and they didn't look very good this preseason. The only times they looked good running was when Jonathan Williams was in there, whatever that's worth (he's gone now). McCoy had a great season last year, but he did have his hamstring injuries that always seem to flare up for him. At age 29, he's still a very shifty back so he doesn't generally take many big hits. But this offense is going to be bad.

An offense switching to a new scheme, with the limited passing ability of Tyrod, with their best 2 WRs being a rookie 2nd rounder and Jordan Matthews. There's not a lot of upside there. Sammy used to be able to keep defenses honest when he was in there as he could take the top off a defense at any point. Nobody on the team can do that now. Granted they could still run effectively without Sammy in there as well. The scheme change, OL performance this preseason, Shady's age, and the general awfulness this offense will be has scared me away from Shady this year.

Based on McDermatitis's statment today, and them gutting the entire roster, talented or not, cheap contract or not, I would not be surprised in the least if they're going to pound McCoy all season as they don't plan on keeping him next year and beyond. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. The good news is he will get reps. The bad news is that he will take a beating and is likely to miss some games as he generally does.

This team is a dumpster fire. I know McCoy is very determined to break his milestone rushing yardage goal this year, for what that's worth.
I think you are trying too hard to see something that isn't there.  Sammy Watkins was never a savior for this team and shady was shady with or without him.  This is really setting up to be what people drool over. How is it that bell or DJ being locked in as the only guy in town with a heavy commitment is mouth watering but a guy that is proven is looked at like people are trying to find warts?  

Options on a team are nice and nice to help other players but only to a degree,. At some point those players take away as much as they offer.  A good wr has to get touches himself and that lessens opportunities for the rb.  Here, shady has to share with nobody.  Ride him into the ground and, like every other rb on every snap, hope he holds up.  If he does, he's a locked in top 3-4 player.

I think you are trying too hard to see something that isn't there.  Sammy Watkins was never a savior for this team and shady was shady with or without him.  This is really setting up to be what people drool over. How is it that bell or DJ being locked in as the only guy in town with a heavy commitment is mouth watering but a guy that is proven is looked at like people are trying to find warts?  

Options on a team are nice and nice to help other players but only to a degree,. At some point those players take away as much as they offer.  A good wr has to get touches himself and that lessens opportunities for the rb.  Here, shady has to share with nobody.  Ride him into the ground and, like every other rb on every snap, hope he holds up.  If he does, he's a locked in top 3-4 player.
:goodposting:

McCoy won't be with the Bills next year.  The Bills got rid of Jonathan Williams.  They're going to ride him into the ground.  20+ touches every week.  Could lead the Bills in receptions. Sure, Tolbert may vulture a few TDs, but if McCoy can stay healthy (big if), he's probably going to have 1700+ all purpose yards, 50+ receptions and 10+ TDs.  Easily top 4 RB this year.  So the Bills are going to suck, who cares?

Because Pitt and Arizona have strong offenses likely to see favorable game scripts?

Because Pitt and Arizona have strong offenses likely to see favorable game scripts?
So, let's say a favorable game scripts means, what? That they will run nearly 2x as many offensive plays a game? That would be a lot (I think..who knows, maybe not..don't care enough to look).  But anyway, lets say the Bills are SO bad, they only get 53 offensive plays a game but the Cards and Steelers get 80.

But when the Bills are on offense, how many of those plays go to Shady? For the Cards and Steelers, how many of those plays get shared with Fitz, Brown, etc, etc?  

I get what you guys mean when you make your point but the point is if you are pretty much the only game in town, there's something to be said for that opportunity and consistency. 

So, let's say a favorable game scripts means, what? That they will run nearly 2x as many offensive plays a game? That would be a lot (I think..who knows, maybe not..don't care enough to look).  But anyway, lets say the Bills are SO bad, they only get 53 offensive plays a game but the Cards and Steelers get 80.

But when the Bills are on offense, how many of those plays go to Shady? For the Cards and Steelers, how many of those plays get shared with Fitz, Brown, etc, etc?  

I get what you guys mean when you make your point but the point is if you are pretty much the only game in town, there's something to be said for that opportunity and consistency. 
I get that...I worry that if you're the only game in town, though, that defenses key on shutting you down, and a lot of 3-and-outs ensue.

I expect Pitt and Arizona to do a much better job of sustaining drives, and earn more yards/play, which offsets some of the perceived market share boost Shady will get, imo.

Per RotoWorld, McCoy is missing practice today with an illness, possibly a stomach bug.  Should be ok by Sunday?

Are we still being led to believe Tolbert is the backup here?

Update: McCoy got in limited work today, he returned to practice after sitting out a team session.

It's hard to imagine that Tolbert will be the primary backup all year. Have to think that they'll bring in another reasonably proven body off the street or via trade.

As much as this team is looking to run the ball, the risk of injury to Shady is elevated and they're going to need another body as a fallback given the QB situation. There must be something more to this Jonathan Williams story for him to be sent packing. 

Ok, I'll assume it's some kind of keeper league which makes the rookies appealing. I'll give you Bell, Johnson, Zeke, maybe even Gordon and Freeman. 

Who are the other five?
4 left.  Gurley, Ajayi and Howard for sure, those aren't even huge stretches given how bad it is there.  Last one - Crowell or Hyde would be my guess.

Ok, I'll assume it's some kind of keeper league which makes the rookies appealing. I'll give you Bell, Johnson, Zeke, maybe even Gordon and Freeman. 

Who are the other five?
No actually.  I mean, I was at that point where he was in my queue.  I can't speak for the rest of the league, but for me, I go into a draft with like 40 guys and I draft those guys. Most players are on my 'do not draft' list.  What's stranger is that this league rewards/favors players exactly with McCoy's skill set.  We get double (12) points for non-traditional TDs.  A RB receiving a TD is considered 'non-traditional'.  So yeah, sort of a weird thing that happened. 

Not real happy about the fact that the Bills scored three 1-yard touchdowns yesterday and McCoy didn't get any of them.  I sure hope that isn't a glimpse into the future.  

Not real happy about the fact that the Bills scored three 1-yard touchdowns yesterday and McCoy didn't get any of them.  I sure hope that isn't a glimpse into the future.  
The last one, TT was trying to get everyone to the line quickly to punch it in, but it was the play that McCoy hurt his wrist on, so he came out himself. 

JuniorNB said:
Don't worry, the bills will be hard pressed to score 3 tds a month. Nothing to worry about.

Bills OC Rick Dennison indicated he has no plans to back off LeSean McCoy's workload in an effort to keep McCoy healthy.

"If I give him the ball 50 times, he'll make 50 plays," said Dennison, who also admitted he "wasn't counting" as McCoy peeled off 27 touches in Sunday's win over the Jets. It's not particularly surprising with the Bills not committed to winning games in 2017, but it is great news for McCoy's short-term fantasy outlook. Whether he'll hold up on these kinds of workloads is another story.

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter 

Sep 11 - 4:02 PM

As a McCoy owner, I am picking up Tolbert this week off of waivers.  David Johnson's injury is a good dose of reality.  When you have a stud RB, you should lock up that backfield.  Tolbert is not McCoy but the Bills are not going to change their game plan.  They simply cannot. 

As a McCoy owner, I am picking up Tolbert this week off of waivers.  David Johnson's injury is a good dose of reality.  When you have a stud RB, you should lock up that backfield.  Tolbert is not McCoy but the Bills are not going to change their game plan.  They simply cannot. 
I doubt Tolbert's role changes even if McCoy gets hurt.  He's a blocker and short yardage guy.  Banyard or Jones would likely become the starter. Or else they'd grab someone off of a practice squad. (Jeremy Langford perhaps).  It's kind of like the Cardinal situation. It just wasn't worth grabbing a handcuff for Johnson because no one has the job cemented.

Is he worth acquiring for a WR1 in trade or is he too risky now?  Not intended as a "what should I do" question, just generally assuming others are either looking to sell or acquire to get feedback on current value concensus.

Is he worth acquiring for a WR1 in trade or is he too risky now?  Not intended as a "what should I do" question, just generally assuming others are either looking to sell or acquire to get feedback on current value concensus.

I wouldn't do that. I'd prefer to have the WR1. To give a sense of at least how I'm valuing him.

He might be kind of a buy low guy right now.  He had a rough game against Carolina, probably will be the same against Denver.  He still will get his touches but that offense is just putrid.  Zero threats at wide receiver (at least as the deep ball is concerned).  After that he has some decent matchups against ATL and CINCI then the bye.

I'd float a WR2 offer out and see.

He might be kind of a buy low guy right now.  He had a rough game against Carolina, probably will be the same against Denver.  He still will get his touches but that offense is just putrid.  Zero threats at wide receiver (at least as the deep ball is concerned).  After that he has some decent matchups against ATL and CINCI then the bye.

I'd float a WR2 offer out and see.
As an owner of McCoy....no dice for a WR2 without hesitation.  

I haven't checked this board until now and saw notifications about this topic. Everything I said still stands. I follow pretty much everything about this team, if I'm wrong about a Bills players, it's that I'm too overly optimistic. When I'm hesitant, it's generally for good reason.

I haven't checked this board until now and saw notifications about this topic. Everything I said still stands. I follow pretty much everything about this team, if I'm wrong about a Bills players, it's that I'm too overly optimistic. When I'm hesitant, it's generally for good reason.
I looked at a friend's ppr league and I see that Shady is rb15. And who is 14? Leveon bell.  13? Zeke Elliot. So, I think it's safe to say a lot of things haven't gone to script overall in the NFL so far but considering shady has played the panthers and broncos in back to back weeks, I don't think a lot has changed in the general point. 

CentralPA said:
He has a pretty juicy matchup against Atlanta this week.  30th in points allowed to RBs.
He does, but the Bills offense hasn't done very well on the road in recent years (see Carolina, the team that Saints just smoked).

Shutout said:
I looked at a friend's ppr league and I see that Shady is rb15. And who is 14? Leveon bell.  13? Zeke Elliot. So, I think it's safe to say a lot of things haven't gone to script overall in the NFL so far but considering shady has played the panthers and broncos in back to back weeks, I don't think a lot has changed in the general point. 
There comes a point in time when you should just accept things for what they are, instead of holding out hope that a corner will be turned. Shady is certainly talented, but anybody who has seen this offense should be able to tell the difference between 2016 and 2017. Rick Dennison did start using Tyrod in the shotgun more with fewer short dropbacks this past week. If he continues to do so, the offense may start doing better. But the OL is still a big concern, which is what my initial concern about McCoy's outlook this year was based upon.

He does, but the Bills offense hasn't done very well on the road in recent years (see Carolina, the team that Saints just smoked).
Eh, that might be so but Carolina is also ranked 8th in fantasy points allowed to RBs (according to RTSports PPR ranks).  I'm willing to take my chances that McCoy fairs better against Atlanta on the road then he did against Carolina on the road.  Especially in PPR.

Just thought I'd poll owners to check the sense of how McCoy is doing. The Bills are actually pretty good and McCoy gets the full load but it's not translating to TDs.

Note statistically at least the end of season schedule looks very nice right now with 2 matchups vs NE and one vs Indy.

I hated that McCoy fell to me at the beginning of round 2 during the draft and still hate it.  With no passing game in Buffalo, McCoy is going to struggle for TDs all season.  And, he will be hurt at some point this season. 

Have him in a 12 team ppr and he is RB 10 without scoring a TD. Considering his schedule and the offense I'm happy so far. As long as he is healthy should only get better.

His schedule gets significantly favorable for him after the bye.  Other than KC and maybe Oakland he goes up against some pretty shoddy run defensive teams plus he pretty much is the only guy left to throw the ball to until Jordan Matthews is healed up.

Absolutely must see a big increase in scoring TD's for our team to be competitive. Yes, he fell to us last pick of round 1, then followed up with Jordy. At least Jordy is performing well. C'mon McCoy Let's Go! I am concerned and remain hopeful.

So back to back disappointing weeks, and now Tyrod's benching...

What's everyone think about McCoy's outlook the rest of the season?

So back to back disappointing weeks, and now Tyrod's benching...

What's everyone think about McCoy's outlook the rest of the season?
Inconsistent, but still a RB1.

A new cruddy QB and a bad defense, so probably less chances, but I am starting him every week as my 2nd RB and still feel just fine with that.

Users who are viewing this thread