What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (5 Viewers)

If they don't plan on using that cap space there is no reason to get rid of him sooner than later because there can always be a major injury(especially to a RB). If Singletary went down I'm sure they would just keep him and pay him. And potential injuries to other players around the league would make McCoy a potentially valuable trade commodity before cut downs. Why release him if you can get a draft pick for him? IMO Houston should be willing to give up a pick right now, but just imagine if Miller even had a minor injury going into the season. I assume the DAL situation sorts itself out but McCoy wouldn't be a bad stop-gap there either. One thing about a veteran RB like McCoy is he can probably step into a new offense and be effective almost immediately even before he has a complete grasp of the new offense. There are a lot of teams around the league that would be thin at RB if they lost ONE guy even if they are in a RBBC right now. RB is a position that doesn't get paid because they are easily replaced, but that's when you have an offseason to replace them. They aren't so easy to replace if you have a few days before the season starts. If I were the chargers I'd much rather give up a conditional day 3 draft pick to overpay McCoy $6.4M for a year rather than commit ~$14M to Gordon for several years.
They absolutely should hold him/try to trade him before the season starts and should cut him if they don’t sustain an injury at the position or find any takers. They have been adamant that they are keeping him because saying otherwise will depress his trade market. Not needing the immediate cap space is a poor reason. That cap space would roll over and be useful for future spending not to mention the actual savings in money to the owner (I know, #### the owners, but that is part of the equation too). Gore, old as he is, was better than McCoy last year. They should let McCoy go

LeSean McCoy rushed six times for 37 yards in Buffalo's third preseason game against the Lions.

McCoy looked spry as ever, showing explosiveness in avoiding tackles in both the second and third levels. He also played 14 snaps to Frank Gore's nine with the first-string offense, though this situation is clearly heading for a down-the-middle timeshare. There's still questions surrounding McCoy's spot on the roster post-final cuts, making him a late-round flier as opposed to a locked-in mid-round FLEX. He finishes the preseason with 10/43/1 rushing.

Aug 23, 2019, 10:22 PM ET

McCoy went undrafted in my 10 team - 16 spots - auction league draft on Saturday night. I’m not a fan of his, but it still came as a bit of a surprise. 

Bills released RB LeSean McCoy.

The Bills had stated numerous times all offseason they were committed to McCoy despite the obvious writing on the wall. McCoy, 31, was headed into the final year of his deal, and the move clears $6.425 million in cap space for Buffalo. It makes total sense after the signing of Frank Gore in the offseason and subsequent selection of Devin Singletary in the draft. This is a Gore-Singletary backfield now, skyrocketing Singletary up the fantasy ranks. McCoy should land on his feet, but he's obviously running out of gas and on the wrong side of 30. Perhaps the Bucs or Texans will make a call. McCoy spent the last four years in Buffalo, compiling an 885-3,814-25 rushing line with a pair of 1,000-yard campaigns.

Dominate with our Draft Guide: Check out our updated RB projections following this move!

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 31, 2019, 9:38 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport named the Chargers, Chiefs, Eagles and Patriots as teams showing the most "early interest" in free agent RB LeSean McCoy.

The Chiefs and Chargers had already been linked to Shady and now New England and Philadelphia are joining in their pursuit. McCoy would seem to have little left in the tank coming off a career-worst year in Buffalo, though perhaps the 31-year-old would benefit from a change of scenery. The six-time Pro Bowler fits the mold of a Bill Belichick reclamation project and obviously has strong ties to Philadelphia, the team he spent his first six seasons with. Meanwhile the Chargers are looking to fill the void left by disgruntled workhorse Melvin Gordon, whose holdout could drag into the regular season. McCoy isn't the dominance force he once was, but he's still a big name with a proven track record. Judging by the heavy interest he's drawing mere hours after his release, we're guessing Shady won't be on the market long.

RELATED: 

Kansas City Chiefs

, New England Patriots

, Philadelphia Eagles

, Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 31, 2019, 6:42 PM ET

Patriots just feels like the most perfectly ironic landing spot. 

All those high confidence White & Michele fantasy picks....muddled. 

That would be the ultimate middle finger to fantasy players, which is exactly why I guarantee this will happen. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
whelp there goes Damien Williams' value

Chiefs signed RB LeSean McCoy, formerly of the Bills, to a one-year, $4 million contract.

The deal includes $3 million guaranteed. Fantasy owners may be — correctly — tempted to view McCoy as just a "body" at this point, but Andy Reid isn't giving someone he views as just a body $3 million guaranteed. That's $900,000 more guaranteed than Damien Williams got last December. McCoy was reportedly offered a similar contract from the Chargers but opted to sign with Kansas City due to his history with Reid. The ex-Bills veteran was brutal in his age-30 season, averaging a career-low 3.2 yards per carry, but he’ll undoubtedly suck out usage from both Williams and rookie Darwin Thompson given his familiarity with the offense. A big name with a proven track record, the 31-year-old could muster a respectable season if he truly does have anything left in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already posted in another topic (there’s so many because of the FF impact) but TL:DR:

absolute cluster f*** train wreck s***show. 

I’m trying to remember a chain of events with more FF impact so close to the season & I’m drawing a blank.

McCoy, likely drafted as a 4th or 5th RB suddenly vaults to the #1 offense in the NFL. DWill owners who invested a 3rd or (gasp!) 2nd round pick got F’d, and DThompson goes from flex-worthy lottery ticket to “should I drop him for a backup kicker?”

absolute clusterf***. :doh:  

Already posted in another topic (there’s so many because of the FF impact) but TL:DR:

absolute cluster f*** train wreck s***show. 

I’m trying to remember a chain of events with more FF impact so close to the season & I’m drawing a blank.

McCoy, likely drafted as a 4th or 5th RB suddenly vaults to the #1 offense in the NFL. DWill owners who invested a 3rd or (gasp!) 2nd round pick got F’d, and DThompson goes from flex-worthy lottery ticket to “should I drop him for a backup kicker?”

absolute clusterf***. :doh:  
Yup. Make matters worse

i had four spot passed on Elliott who loosely signs within 24 hours

i drafted Williams in the 4 th and he just lost 1/2 his value

i took Gordon’s back up eckler, assuming I get screwed also in La and the season hasn’t even started yet. FF

Depends on what your personal definition of serviceable is, I guess.
“Thai ladyboy” could, technically, meet that definition.

Not that I’m judging anyone, “serviceable” is a pretty broad range is all.

and hey, Thai ladyboys need love too.  :shrug:

It’s interesting.  After the Bills released him, I thought everyone was writing him off too early.  Now that the chiefs signed him, I think he’s being valued a little too high.   I think both him and D  Williams get a chance early, and the better performer plays.  Still think Thompson gets 5-7 touches to show what he can do too.

Chargers or Eagles.
Got to disagree, reunited with Andy Reid.  Very familiar with the Offense

McCoy is a great receiving back, he could thrive in the KC offense.  Chargers wouldn't have been bad at all but I think KC is best case scenario  

It’s interesting.  After the Bills released him, I thought everyone was writing him off too early.  Now that the chiefs signed him, I think he’s being valued a little too high.   I think both him and D  Williams get a chance early, and the better performer plays.  Still think Thompson gets 5-7 touches to show what he can do too.
Agreed.  I think people forget how awful McCoy was last year (by just about every measure).  Granted, it is easier to be productive than in Andy Reid offense than it was in Buffalo's last year, but this is not the McCoy of 5 years ago.  I wasn't that high on Williams anyway, but this idea that McCoy is going to take over and return to being a fantasy star is hilarious.  

This made my somewhat weak RB core look solid from my draft Friday night. Someone stole my iphone from the bar at the draft, so I guess things evened out. I think that he could be a league winner for someone that was probably just going to use him as a bye week filler.

I wasn't that high on Williams anyway, but this idea that McCoy is going to take over and return to being a fantasy star is hilarious.  
The big reason for this is that money talks. Williams signed an extension this offseason for 2 years/5.1 mil/1.6 mil guaranteed. They just gave shady 1 year/3 mil, possibly as high as 4 mil, fully guaranteed. That says that they are either worried about Williams staying healthy and seizing the chance for a higher end back up or McCoy is splitting work 

Agreed.  I think people forget how awful McCoy was last year (by just about every measure).  Granted, it is easier to be productive than in Andy Reid offense than it was in Buffalo's last year, but this is not the McCoy of 5 years ago.  I wasn't that high on Williams anyway, but this idea that McCoy is going to take over and return to being a fantasy star is hilarious.  
The only worry for those of us that roster WIlliams has nothing to do with McCoy's fantasy stardom, but WIlliams's fantasy stardom, and Williams's stardom is cut into by the sheer nature of the signing and contract.

I still think, and maybe this is just pessimism, that they go with the hot hand and Reid is just more comfortable with McCoy, who I do not think is done at all.   

Is money paid really the deciding factor here?
Not the deciding factor, but it shows how seriously KC took McCoy's availability on the market and that they wanted him. What's more telling are that the four teams mentioned in the hunt for McCoy were almost all deep playoff teams. LA, NE, PHI, HOU, TAM.

Not the deciding factor, but it shows how seriously KC took McCoy's availability on the market and that they wanted him. What's more telling are that the four teams mentioned in the hunt for McCoy were almost all deep playoff teams. LA, NE, PHI, HOU, TAM.
^^^ Also that they signed him with the quickness

^^^ Also that they signed him with the quickness
Truth. That got done in a heartbeat. As a quick aside, I think NE's interest made the least sense from a personnel standpoint and seemed more like blocking KC from getting him and reuniting Reid and McCoy. But that wasn't to be.

If I sound pro-McCoy even though I roster Williams, I am. I wanted McCoy in our draft and don't think he's at all done. I could be so wrong but I'm chalking last year not up to age but to situation and aberration.

I think pass blocking and pass catching ability was a big factor here. Anyone who has watched McCoy this pre-season has thought he still looked pretty quick and with the short sample we got to see, I would have to agree! 

I picked up McCoy in my FBG draft last night in the 15th rnd, about 20 min before the news broke out!!!!  😎

Liking my backfield options a bit better this morning on my dynasty team.

Went from Miller and McCoy as my starters last year to trading for Freeman and Ingram. Miller to IR but Shady to KC helps a bit I think.

Brooke Pryor of the Kansas City Star expects LeSean McCoy "to take a large percentage" of the team's backfield reps.

Pryor still envisions Damien Williams as the nominal starter, though with McCoy on board, Kansas City now embodies all the familiar traits of an Andy Reid timeshare. There's still opportunity for Williams to carve out a meaningful fantasy role as a proven pass-catcher on arguably the league's best offense, though the threat of ceding goal-line work to Shady certainly throws a wrench in his quest for RB2 status. McCoy's arrival also complicates Darwin Thompson's path to carries in what has become a crowded Chiefs backfield.

RELATED: 

Damien Williams

SOURCE: Kansas City Star

Sep 1, 2019, 12:10 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

Speaking on NFL GameDay Morning, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported LeSean McCoy is expected to see 15-20 snaps in his Chiefs debut Sunday against Jacksonville.

While McCoy won't be getting the biggest piece of Kansas City's backfield pie, the Chiefs liked what they saw from him at practice this week. Per Rapsheet, Shady has looked "incredibly fast" in his brief time with Kansas City and is obviously familiar with the offense after playing under Andy Reid in Philadelphia. McCoy underwhelmed with Buffalo last year but could benefit from a change of scenery in one of the league's best offense. His presence is a downgrade for both Damien Williams and electric rookie Darwin Thompson.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 8, 2019, 9:42 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread