What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (5 Viewers)

Who do you guys think will be able to turn it around this year, mccoy or montee ball? I'm sure a lot of people are considering trading one for the other right now on potential upside
I wouldn't count on Ball before week 9. The next 4 weeks include one average and three brutal run defenses. He'll poach a TD here and there but I think it's evident he isn't going to rack up those 150-yard games. Something lost in the shuffle here is that the Bronco's schedule is way harder this year, and features a lot better run defenses.

It could be just a lack of identifying cutback lanes (like Lacy) and more time with the offensive line and he'll explode at some point. I just wouldn't count on that for the next month. I'm planning on trying to buy him in a couple weeks when the schedule gets softer if he still hasn't had a breakout game. The Broncos clearly aren't going to give up on him. Who else do they have? Hillman is nothing special and there is no way Peyton is trusting a rookie RB to carry the load (and pass protect regularly).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just traded for him in dynasty. He was my initial target, but the trade ended involving quite a few players.

Receive

LeSean McCoy

AJ Green

Nick Foles

Torrey Smith

Jason Witten

Send

Andrew Luck

Percy Harvin

Ryan Mathews

Dwayne Allen

Trent Richardson
This can't be a real trade. that is horrible. shady and AJG alone are worth more then that offering.
He really wanted Andrew Luck, but yes I accepted it pretty quickly.

Hopefully I'm not divulging subscriber info here (mods please edit if needed as that isn't my intention).

"Believe It or Not: Week 5" suggests to bail on McCoy because the reality of what we've seen so far is going to continue (aka, not living up to first round status in all formats, horrible line play, Sproles stealing touches).

"Forensics Report: Week 5" suggests to buy low on McCoy because the line is going to get better, things are going to turn around, and he's the most talented RB in the NFL.

Color me an even more confused subscriber; aren't we paying you guys to help us make these tough decisions? :shrug:

Hopefully I'm not divulging subscriber info here (mods please edit if needed as that isn't my intention).

"Believe It or Not: Week 5" suggests to bail on McCoy because the reality of what we've seen so far is going to continue (aka, not living up to first round status in all formats, horrible line play, Sproles stealing touches).

"Forensics Report: Week 5" suggests to buy low on McCoy because the line is going to get better, things are going to turn around, and he's the most talented RB in the NFL.

Color me an even more confused subscriber; aren't we paying you guys to help us make these tough decisions? :shrug:
Sounds like they are just covering their own ###. I don't subrscibe to any fantasy site because basically I do exactly what they do. Watch football all Sunday and then anaylize what actually happened up to the next Sunday. Seems a waste of money but like I said they probably are just covering each others ### in case 1 is wrong they still have someone who is right. Say shady does become the bust atleast they can point and say well atleast one of us told you to get rid of him. Just my thoughts...

The points in "Believe It" have been mentioned here - about usage, the 10 touches against the 9ers, Sproles, the lack of receptions, and the fact that defenses are just sealing him off would seem to supersede the points about the line coming back this week and around week 10. The same conversation has been going on here, just depends what POV is more persuasive. No receptions in the last 2 games is downright disturbing to me.

The points in "Believe It" have been mentioned here - about usage, the 10 touches against the 9ers, Sproles, the lack of receptions, and the fact that defenses are just sealing him off would seem to supersede the points about the line coming back this week and around week 10. The same conversation has been going on here, just depends what POV is more persuasive. No receptions in the last 2 games is downright disturbing to me.
I feel the loss makes the lack of touches more glaring. Kelly makes corrections and is willing to admit mistakes. So we might see a big adjustment coming as early as Sunday on McCoy's use.

I feel the loss makes the lack of touches more glaring. Kelly makes corrections and is willing to admit mistakes. So we might see a big adjustment coming as early as Sunday on McCoy's use.
Yeah, hopefully it's doing running plays where he has a chance. That and some designed screens

You should bail on him and then buy him low from whoever picks him up on the waiver wire. The rest of the league will all be intimidated by your cunning, yet slightly off, tactics going forward.

Dump-ster Fi-re, clap clap, clap clap clap!

Two teams in the crapper with Shady at the helm in both.

Offered Charles and Wayne for Shady and K Allen last week. Thankfully I was turned down. I don't care what they say, something is wrong with his foot.

Just don't think the guy is as good as the hype. He's elusive, but he's not the total package needed to succeed in his current situation.

TheFanatic said:
I made an offer for him last week. Basically a 1st and a 2nd. Was turned down. Thankfully.
What is "basically" a 1st and a 2nd? Sounds like anything but a 1st and a 2nd.

Homer here and let me tell you, things here in Philly are not looking good for McCoy. Until the online gets healthy, McCoy will not ever touch that top 5 status.

There is talk here that Shady is not healthy. Ray Didinger has stated that there is a concern on shady's health, and Ray has his hands in everything Philly sports.

McCoy took himself out of the game late in the 4th Q. Never came back in.

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — With under three minutes left in the game the Eagles were staring at a new set of downs after a 25-yard Darren Sroles run. It was 1st and 10 from the St. Louis 48-yard line. The Eagles held a six point lead.

LeSean McCoy, their most explosive offensive weapon and an elite fourth-quarter closing running back, was on the sideline. The Eagles ran the ball four times in a row, Sproles getting each carry, and eventually the Eagles were forced to punt the ball back to the Rams. In between those four straight Sproles’ runs, were two St. Louis timeouts.

So where was Shady?

“LeSean took himself out,” Chip Kelly told Angelo Cataldi and the 94WIP Morning Show on his weekly Monday morning call-in. “He rotates and he knows Sproles can play. I think we have two marquee running backs. I don’t change how we call things. I don’t do anything differently when Darren is in the game. I think Darren had seven carries, you know, 51 yards averaged 7.3 yards a carry. So, I think he’s pretty good in what we do.”

From all the preseason discussion, Sproles was not going to have an impact on McCoy according to most of the Philadelphia beat writers. This is why they play the games. Sproles has not only had an impact but he has rendered the #1 overall pick in some drafts to become a bust at his ADP.

From all the preseason discussion, Sproles was not going to have an impact on McCoy according to most of the Philadelphia beat writers. This is why they play the games. Sproles has not only had an impact but he has rendered the #1 overall pick in some drafts to become a bust at his ADP.
How do you figure this?

After the first few carries in the game yesterday, McCoy clearly made an effort to just go north and south. As a result, he was more effective. This is why Sproles has been more effective.

McCoy + the O-Line last year had a great synergy and they could do a lots of complicated blocking schemes all over the field. McCoy could wait for the holes to open, see them, and make moves. This year, with the injuries, there is no time and space for that. It's just get the ball and go if you want to get anything.

This has to be about the most surprising thing in football, fantasy or other wise, this year so far. I would think there's an injury because the "he's not as good as we thought" talk is ridiculous. Are they using Sproles that much? I guess I lucked out (till now), traded MCCoy for Murray and a 1st (Watkins) and 3rd in the offseason. I still want McCoy back! If Philly is smart they will start to feature McCoy more and more....

Other than week 4 Shady's number of touches wasn't the issue--he had plenty. Thus I still think he can be a top 5 RB based on touches. Of course my concern is the o-line and also the kinds of touches Shady gets. I'm gonna be stubborn & hold due to low return value but I have the feeling he'll be the on my bench once or twice over the next month

The play where he fumbled yesterday was indicative of his problem this year. He was looking for the big play instead if just taking what was there. He's getting the touches, he just needs to be content with a two yard gain if that is all that is available.

Interesting how Sproles can pop off 10 or 25 yard runs with the same offensive line, while McCoy slashes and jukes his way to 1 yard break aways.

Homer here and let me tell you, things here in Philly are not looking good for McCoy. Until the online gets healthy, McCoy will not ever touch that top 5 status.

There is talk here that Shady is not healthy. Ray Didinger has stated that there is a concern on shady's health, and Ray has his hands in everything Philly sports.
He hasn't looked like the same guy to me. Normally that little juke he does going backwards works because he proceeds to outrun the defender to the edge. 2014 McCoy can't seem to do that for some reason.

• Smile
Reactions: rjv

He hasn't looked like the same guy to me. Normally that little juke he does going backwards works because he proceeds to outrun the defender to the edge. 2014 McCoy can't seem to do that for some reason.
+1 to you brother.

I traded him before this week and was worried that it would look like a bad trade because I expected him to have a great game against St. Louis (most rbs have this season). Now if I were a McCoy owner I'd be a bit worried that in one of his better matchups of the season he was held under 100 total yards.

People were about to dump Lacy a week ago. And Demarius Thomas owners were near suicidal - don't think they are today. 9 times out of 10 studs produce unless they weren't a stud to begin with. Shady has produced his whole career. He's in his prime. He's got O-line woes that aren't permanent.

I'm thinking about the last 3rd of the season and playoffs, when he may have the majority of his line back. He's only tradeable to the 5-0 or 4-1 owners who think they can wait it out. I am somehow going to be 5-0 unless Morris goes off tonight, so I'm in full hold mode with Shady. Agree with others, he's got to more north and south but it's not that simple. These are the blocking schemes they run. Can't just change all of that on the fly. For those that can be patient the rewards should be there.

Shady is most dangerous in space and he's not being used in space right now. That's a very short and simple way to describe the issue, IMO.

He is instinctively at his best when he has this full range on the field and I think the presence of Sproles has him locked into a more traditional role and it isn't working.

Shady keeping everything inside with a bad o-line is bad. Then when Sproles comes in, everyone thinks its going to be pass and outside but he is actually doing his best work getting straight up the middle quickly.

It is as if the game plan isn't being designed to maximize Shady's strengths. But they are winning so ....

I know there are people wondering "should I trade him or not" and such. My only thought right now is we know his talent. He IS one of the best talents in the game and that usually surfaces so although it may be an overall disappointing season this year, I guarantee we will see a couple of huge games out of him this year. Hopefully they come at opportune times for owners.

Shady is most dangerous in space and he's not being used in space right now. That's a very short and simple way to describe the issue, IMO.

He is instinctively at his best when he has this full range on the field and I think the presence of Sproles has him locked into a more traditional role and it isn't working.

Shady keeping everything inside with a bad o-line is bad. Then when Sproles comes in, everyone thinks its going to be pass and outside but he is actually doing his best work getting straight up the middle quickly.

It is as if the game plan isn't being designed to maximize Shady's strengths. But they are winning so ....

I know there are people wondering "should I trade him or not" and such. My only thought right now is we know his talent. He IS one of the best talents in the game and that usually surfaces so although it may be an overall disappointing season this year, I guarantee we will see a couple of huge games out of him this year. Hopefully they come at opportune times for owners.
Disagree. McCoy is just not winning the race to the outside and far too hesitant to turn it up field for a 2 or 3 yard gain. Too many times he's turning a short positive into a negative. Sproles rushing attempts over the last 3 weeks is 2, 1, 7. And of those 7 in week 5, 4 of them came on the last drive when McCoy took himself out of the game or those 7 carries might have only been 3. The problem is McCoy, not the game plan or play calling.

Disagree. McCoy is just not winning the race to the outside and far too hesitant to turn it up field for a 2 or 3 yard gain. Too many times he's turning a short positive into a negative. Sproles rushing attempts over the last 3 weeks is 2, 1, 7. And of those 7 in week 5, 4 of them came on the last drive when McCoy took himself out of the game or those 7 carries might have only been 3. The problem is McCoy, not the game plan or play calling.
I think you missed what Shutout was trying to say. He's saying that they're using Shady as, primarily, a carries guy. Last year, he was THE GUY in Philly's backfield and was catching passes as well as rushing. Defenses didn't know how to play him. Now, when he's on the field it pretty much telegraphs a rush play. Sproles is more of the wildcard, and has seen more of a mix of pass/rush plays. Shady flourishes when the D is guessing what he's going to be doing, and like many have said, he's better in space.

I think you missed what Shutout was trying to say. He's saying that they're using Shady as, primarily, a carries guy. Last year, he was THE GUY in Philly's backfield and was catching passes as well as rushing. Defenses didn't know how to play him. Now, when he's on the field it pretty much telegraphs a rush play. Sproles is more of the wildcard, and has seen more of a mix of pass/rush plays. Shady flourishes when the D is guessing what he's going to be doing, and like many have said, he's better in space.
Again, disagree. They pass plenty when McCoy's on the field. He may not be getting as many passes out of the backfield, but that doesn't account for the low ypc. Its not like they only run when McCoy's in the backfield and only pass when Sproles is back there.

At this point, I'm just hoping he can produce enough as a RB2 to get me through until the line is healthy. Real concern is the poor performances of Foles.

As a niners fan after watching them face McCoy and Charles back to back it was like night and day. Against the Eagles I was HOPING they were going to shady because the D could easily string him out to the sidelines on every play. With Charles I got nervous any time he was trying to hit the edge. Just admit what is painfully obvious... Shady is not the same guy he was last year. He still makes the same cuts, but the acceleration out of them and the speed to the edge just aren't there.

Think it's time to stop making excuses for him and start realizing that maybe the reasons the Eagles are struggling on offense is due to McCoy, not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread