What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (5 Viewers)

TheFanatic said:
I made an offer for him last week. Basically a 1st and a 2nd. Was turned down. Thankfully.
What is "basically" a 1st and a 2nd? Sounds like anything but a 1st and a 2nd.
It's a salary cap league and Shady is $5.75 million out of $32 million. I think he's the second highest paid player. There were other players involved, but they were simply there to make the money work since he and I are both against the cap. For instance, ADP was involved in the trade (basically giving him away to make the money work as it really doesn;t add anything to the deal).

He told me he was offered 2 first rounders and a RB that is doing something this year (unlike ADP). Told him that was too rich for my blood. I think he was angling for me to offer two firsts and McKinnon. Not going to do that.

Shady is most dangerous in space and he's not being used in space right now. That's a very short and simple way to describe the issue, IMO.

He is instinctively at his best when he has this full range on the field and I think the presence of Sproles has him locked into a more traditional role and it isn't working.

Shady keeping everything inside with a bad o-line is bad. Then when Sproles comes in, everyone thinks its going to be pass and outside but he is actually doing his best work getting straight up the middle quickly.

It is as if the game plan isn't being designed to maximize Shady's strengths. But they are winning so ....

I know there are people wondering "should I trade him or not" and such. My only thought right now is we know his talent. He IS one of the best talents in the game and that usually surfaces so although it may be an overall disappointing season this year, I guarantee we will see a couple of huge games out of him this year. Hopefully they come at opportune times for owners.
Disagree. McCoy is just not winning the race to the outside and far too hesitant to turn it up field for a 2 or 3 yard gain. Too many times he's turning a short positive into a negative. Sproles rushing attempts over the last 3 weeks is 2, 1, 7. And of those 7 in week 5, 4 of them came on the last drive when McCoy took himself out of the game or those 7 carries might have only been 3. The problem is McCoy, not the game plan or play calling.
I disagree as well. Sproles is shredding behind the same line against the same teams and Kelly said that he uses them the exact same way, not altering the play calling between them at all.

McCoy took himself out of the game late in the 4th Q. Never came back in.

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — With under three minutes left in the game the Eagles were staring at a new set of downs after a 25-yard Darren Sroles run. It was 1st and 10 from the St. Louis 48-yard line. The Eagles held a six point lead.

LeSean McCoy, their most explosive offensive weapon and an elite fourth-quarter closing running back, was on the sideline. The Eagles ran the ball four times in a row, Sproles getting each carry, and eventually the Eagles were forced to punt the ball back to the Rams. In between those four straight Sproles’ runs, were two St. Louis timeouts.

So where was Shady?

“LeSean took himself out,” Chip Kelly told Angelo Cataldi and the 94WIP Morning Show on his weekly Monday morning call-in. “He rotates and he knows Sproles can play. I think we have two marquee running backs. I don’t change how we call things. I don’t do anything differently when Darren is in the game. I think Darren had seven carries, you know, 51 yards averaged 7.3 yards a carry. So, I think he’s pretty good in what we do.”
he claimed tonight on his radio show that Duce was the one who pulled him out. :shrug:

Huge fan of shady. Don't own in him in any leagues. He's not the same guy he's been. I don't think he's healthy. At all. I also think there's some psyche bs involved. Maybe just pressing too much? He looks slower, less shifty and frankly less determined on his runs. It's ####ty to see as a birds fan

Am I wrong in thinking that whenever a RB has 300 or more carries in a year, they generally struggle the following year? Thought this was the norm.

I wonder if offensive design is part of the problem. League DC's have had a year to breakdown this Chip Kelly approach... lot of motion, smoke 'n' mirrors, and no D-Jax running 100 mph on the backside to keep defenses holding their breath.

The track meet plays of 2013 seem to be missing altogether for the Eagles this year.

I wonder if offensive design is part of the problem. League DC's have had a year to breakdown this Chip Kelly approach... lot of motion, smoke 'n' mirrors, and no D-Jax running 100 mph on the backside to keep defenses holding their breath.

The track meet plays of 2013 seem to be missing altogether for the Eagles this year.
Sproles is killing it behind the same line with similar play calling. According to chip, he doesn't modify run plays based on who's in. Fwiw.

Am I wrong in thinking that whenever a RB has 300 or more carries in a year, they generally struggle the following year? Thought this was the norm.
I've never heard of such a thing, honesty. 400 or more I've heard of. 300 I haven't.

Sproles is killing it behind the same line with similar play calling. According to chip, he doesn't modify run plays based on who's in. Fwiw.
I think it has to get better as Oline gets healthier, especially Kelce.

I toss out the game he took the big blow too the head too, I dont think he was right after that hit.

Looks like a bust. Congrats to all who had the privilege of drafting in the 8 - 12 range, lots of mines avoided so far this year.

I've never heard of such a thing, honesty. 400 or more I've heard of. 300 I haven't.
I mentioned this earlier in this thread. It's a pretty old mantra that was more relevant back in the days of the "workhorse RB"... I think the original analysis may have even been done on FBG. But IIRC, there was a pretty solid correlation between RBs that get 300+ carries and a statistical decline the immediate subsequent season.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread. It's a pretty old mantra that was more relevant back in the days of the "workhorse RB"... I think the original analysis may have even been done on FBG. But IIRC, there was a pretty solid correlation between RBs that get 300+ carries and a statistical decline the immediate subsequent season.
It was 370+, and it was a pretty weak argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. I remember that one and Terrell Davis says the argument was invalid.

he was just traded for Cobb and Petterson in my dynasty league. The guy trading for him had Peterson. Crazy.

Yeah. I remember that one and Terrell Davis says the argument was invalid.
It also failed to account for guys like Emmitt Smith that went deep into the playoffs every season, since it only looked at regular season carries. It also stretched the definition of "bust" as it ignored that with the inevitable drop in carries the next season, the back's statistics would naturally decline as well; and that many times an injury suffered the next season was completely unrelated to the previous season (i.e. a guy getting his knee blown out by a hit).

Last edited by a moderator:
McCoy is in my line up every week. As my 1.01 pick this year, I have very little else at RB anyway. It has already been a long season.

I'm off the Shady bandwagon.

Traded him for Ben Tate and Brian Quick.

I already have Crowell so I gladly traded Shady in order to lock up the CLE run game and their cream puff schedule.

I feel relieved that I'm out from Shady. It'll be awhile before the o-line gets together and there's the turf toe thing.

Thinking about benching him for Oliver this week. I like having players in late games (in case I'm behind it makes it fun to watch the late Sun/Mon games), but I just think Oliver has a higher floor this week.

If I bench Shady, expect him to score 40+ in every format.

In a keep 2 league I'm 0-5 and selling him and 8th & 9th picks looking for a 2nd & 4th.

If I weren't 0-5 I would hold him. He's 26 and I can accept a bum part of a season. Can't be the best all the time. He's not done yet.

What happens after 300 carries, revisited

They list McCoy and Lynch as candidates that qualify for this current season... 1 for 2 on that one. I don't necessarily support any argument based off this correlation, since it's obviously more likely for a back to regress than improve following a 300 carry season just due to the sheer amount of production they put up. After all, high #1 picks aren't drafted to win your league, just to ensure reliable production.

For me, on its own it's not a red flag, but combined with other factors (specifically whispers of injury, reduced workload) it's enough reason for me to downgrade a player on draft day.

Just traded foles and Antonio brown for McCoy, stafford, and a 1st rd pick in a 6 keeper (more like a 7th round pick). Might not pay out now, but I'm comfortable with that value. 2 premier lineman expected back week 10 for Eagles... I don't see how one would not pounce on McCoy right now..

Just traded foles and Antonio brown for McCoy, stafford, and a 1st rd pick in a 6 keeper (more like a 7th round pick). Might not pay out now, but I'm comfortable with that value. 2 premier lineman expected back week 10 for Eagles... I don't see how one would not pounce on McCoy right now..
You might be out of playoffs waiting until Week 10. However, what worries me the most is the whispers of turf toe affecting him.

You might be out of playoffs waiting until Week 10. However, what worries me the most is the whispers of turf toe affecting him.
I've heard about the turf toe deal, but imo 94 rushes and 14 receptions through 5 games doesn't sound like turf toe.. From what I see with the week 7 bye, 3 weeks with a subpar line and then 4 weeks with a line when it really matters.. Not trying to get too argumentative, just looking at the bright possibilities.

Was up 12 with Maclin against McCoy 5 minutes ago... Thanks to cousins eating **** for breakfast, lunch, and dinner it's now a 4 point game. At 12 I was so what confident, at 4 I consider myself a huge underdawg with this bum.

Nice running tonight. It's a shame he still gets pulled every damn time they're in the RZ though. He'll be lucky to have 5 TDs this year.

I benched McCoy but won in spite of myself. Happy that I was proved wrong. There's light at the end of the tunnel, and it's bright if the O-line comes together in the next month.

Users who are viewing this thread