What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benjamin with Cam out this weekend? (1 Viewer)

robb

Footballguy
Some are asking what to do with Gordon this week with Manzel starting....... but what are your thoughts on starting K. Benjamin if Anderson is throwing the rock and not Newton?

A short reason listed for your opinion would be great!

My thoughts are he did okay with Anderson earlier. The Tampa Bay pass defense can be had, so worth a shot IMO.

Benjamin did really really well with Anderson tossing him the rock. I'm starting him in my semis with no hesitation.

Watching Benjamin lately, I am wondering if he hit the rookie wall? If not I am not worried about him with Anderson. He did fine with him earlier in the year.

People act like something that happened in week 1 will happen in week 15. Kinda like Josh Gordon was great last year and won't have any rust this year.

I would be cautious starting Benjamin. The last pass Anderson threw in a game was October 19th, last start was Sept 7th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Benjamin lately, I am wondering if he hit the rookie wall? If not I am not worried about him with Anderson. He did fine with him earlier in the year.
Benjamin scares the crap out of me. Unfortunately I don't really have any better options, but it's hard to like a guy that catches 3 or less passes in almost half his matchups. On the plus side, you have about a 50% chance of him catching a TD as well.

not sure what to expect... i dont see a legit argument to bump benjamin, but hopeful he can have a decent day with anderson

Im hesitant to start him this week in my flex. I know he had a pretty nice connection with DA early, but that was early in the year where Carolina was probably wanting to roll out their new "toy" and see what he can do.

Does Philly Brown being DTD effect Benjamin at all? He seems to be getting more touches of late. Might create more deep shots to Benjamin if Philly was to miss the game?

As of now im thinking of starting Ingram over Benjamin in my flex.

Derek Anderson gets the start as expected following Cam Newton's car accident that resulted in two fractured transverse process in his back on Tuesday. Newton is day-to-day and will have a chance to play Week 16. Anderson got the start Week 1 against this same Bucs team, completing 24-of-34 passes for 230 yards and two touchdowns. He's tossed four touchdowns in total this season, with three of them going to Kelvin Benjamin. Anderson will be in play in daily leagues thanks to his minimum price and plus matchup. Benjamin remains a must-start WR2.

I think Benjamin is a slight bump up.

Here is why.........

From Football Guys: Notice both games were wins.

Week 1, 20-14 win over Tampa Bay

QB Derek Anderson, Pass: 24 - 34 - 230 - 2 TD / 0 INT, Rush: 3 - 10 - 0

Informed on Saturday evening that he would be getting the start in place of the injured Cam Newton, Derek Anderson looked unflappable in his first professional start since 2010. Anderson looked totally at ease in the offense, executing it true to its conception. He masterfully carried out play fakes and bootlegs and consistently found his targets early on as he established a rhythm. While there were a few missed opportunities, most notably a missed touchdown pass to Greg Olsen down the seam when he overthrew him by a few inches, Anderson was getting the ball out accurately and on time. He showed no fear throwing into traffic, often fitting the football between defenders to find his intended target. Anderson did a lot of damage off play action, consistently finding favorite target Greg Olsen uncovered against the Bucsí predominantly Tampa-2 looks. His first touchdown toss, a play action pass to Olsen, turned out to be an easy pitch and catch in the red zone as the Bucs failed to pick up Olsen in the back of the end zone. Anderson trusted his targets to make clutch catches for him throughout, and none was more impressive ñ or risky ñ than the touchdown pass to rookie Kelvin Benjamin. With time in the pocket thanks to the great protection he was continually afforded, Anderson spotted a streaking Benjamin down the left sideline. Anderson heaved a pass up for his receiver to snag, and Benjamin did the rest, producing a ridiculous catch by securing the football behind the defender's back, subsequently wrestling it away. Anderson almost made a critical error to erase that inspirational play in the fourth quarter. With Carolina up 17-7, Anderson threw an ill-advised pass left under duress; it hit the hands of the waiting defender, but he couldnít make the interception. Had he caught it, it would have been a pick six beyond doubt. Anderson, however, steadied the ship and thanks to an assist from the Carolina defense, managed to close out the game. In a poised display from the veteran, it was the only blotch on his day.

WR Kelvin Benjamin, Rec: 6 - 92 - 1 (8 targets)

Towering talent Kelvin Benjamin kept his foot on the gas in his first professional start after showing significant strides in the preseason. Against a Tampa Bay secondary that often pressed him at the line, Benjamin remained poised and looked like a veteran as he used a subtle arm-bar to achieve separation over the middle. Benjamin proved a clutch target for Derek Anderson in the short to intermediate range of the field on dig patterns and crossers, outmuscling linebackers and cornerbacks with his sheer size and power. While the chemistry wasn't quite there on the deeper patterns ñ Anderson missed Benjamin on a nine route, throwing it too far inside and short ñ the two showed good rapport elsewhere. Benjamin had to make adjustments to a couple of low passes in traffic, but showed poise and excellent body control to reel them in. Benjamin's crowning glory was his touchdown, a ridiculous one-handed grab around a defensive back's torso on a 50-50 ball into the end zone. Anderson spotted the rookie in single coverage and heaved a pass to the left pylon at the front end of the end zone. Benjamin secured the football with the defender's back turned and wrestled it away. Benjamin certainly did not look like a wet-behind-the-ears rookie in his debut.

This is week 2, 24-7 win over Detroit Lions, and Cam Newton is back under center.

WR Kelvin Benjamin, Rec: 2 - 46 - 0 (8 targets)

Kelvin Benjamin came back to earth a little against the Lions after a stellar opening salvo in Tampa last week. The rookie receiver had a few concentration lapses throughout, dropping well-placed passes. Benjamin almost came down with a touchdown in the first half as Newton targeted him on a fade in the back of the end zone on third and goal; however, he ran out of real estate and could only get one foot down despite making a terrific grab of the football at its highest point. To the rookie"s credit, he did not let his drops get to him, producing one of the prettiest catches of the young season. Newton lofted it up to Benjamin, who was able to kill the ball"s momentum with his left hand and secure it against his body, toe-tapping his feet as he fell out of bounds. It was beautiful coordination by the six-foot-five receiver and came directly after a drop. Benjamin, who was known for drops in college, will need to build chemistry with his quarterback to eliminate the mistakes, but the emphasis on getting him the football in key situations is clearly there for this offense.

I'm really torn on Benjamin. I'm down to my last starter, and it's eitehr Benjamin, Kenny Stills or Isaiah Crowell. I have literally no idea what to do, and I'll probably need big points as I'm going up against LeVeon Bell and DeMarco Murray this week.

TheCommish said:
I'm really torn on Benjamin. I'm down to my last starter, and it's eitehr Benjamin, Kenny Stills or Isaiah Crowell. I have literally no idea what to do, and I'll probably need big points as I'm going up against LeVeon Bell and DeMarco Murray this week.
Stills has the most upside against the Bears historically bad (for them) defense.

I am probably going to go Jordan Matthews over Benjamin. Week 15 is a huge difference from week 1. Early in the season everyone has rust. Now it is just Anderson with the rust.

skinsrule05 said:
I am probably going to go Jordan Matthews over Benjamin. Week 15 is a huge difference from week 1. Early in the season everyone has rust. Now it is just Anderson with the rust.
Remember what Anderson put up with Braylon Edwards back in 2007? Kelvin is bigger and better than Braylon. The fact that Anderson may be rusty is just another reason he why he will lock onto Kelvin.

skinsrule05 said:
Well since Tampa Bay hasn't knocked off the rust all year they should be on an even playing field.

Users who are viewing this thread