What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Bunch Of Juicy Match-Ups or Studs With Warts (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Oooh boy. So it's Week 17.

This is not a WDIS thread, it's just for discussion.

Any of you debating starting some guys with juicy matchups over your studs with warts? List them here

For me, I have Davante Adams (coach threw the ball nine times against KC), Nico Collins (Davis Mills or Case Keenum plus balky calf), and Ja'Marr Chase (is he going to play and if he does, it's KC).

Waiting in the wings I have Demarcus Robinson (just went off and Giants are 27th against WR position), Rashid Shaheed (Tampa - 29th against WR position), D.J. Chark (just went off and Jacksonville is 24th against WR)

Ever think about subbing guys out Week 17?

I'll be honest. The guy I'm thinking the most about is Adams because you can't tell a coach to throw the football. Just doesn't happen.

What do you all have?

Last edited:

Any of you debating starting some guys with juicy matchups over your studs with warts? List them here

For me, I have Davante Adams (coach threw the ball nine times against KC), Nico Collins (Davis Mills or Case Keenum plus balky calf), and Ja'Marr Chase (is he going to play and if he does, it's KC).

Waiting in the wings I have DeMarcus Robinson (just went off and Giants are 27th against WR position), Rashid Shaheed (Tampa - 29th against WR position), D.J. Chark (just went off and Jacksonville is 24th against WR)

I'll be honest. The guy I'm thinking the most about is Adams because you can't tell a coach to throw the football. Just doesn't happen.

What do you all have?
Honestly, no. Guys like Robinson who are fourth line behind Williams, Kupp, and Puka are to risky. Higbee could be the guy that spoils the party. Match ups are great, but I'll take the targets first.

Rashid Shaheed may be the exception as he's not 4th in lines for targets.

Thanks, BassNBrew. I've thought about target share. Your logic is valid, but not necessarily sound in that you're not considering overall targets while emphasizing target share. The Raiders made target share irrelevant in a few of the games Antonio Pierce has coached.

I'd rather have him be fourth in line than have four targets total. If a team is going to throw the ball forty times, better the guy that sees seven targets compared to Davante's five last game.

Last edited:
Or whatever Davante had. He's also playing with a rookie/backup QB.

Doesn't mean I'll pull the trigger on anybody else. I started him last year when the Raiders started Stidham in Week 17 and everybody said to sit him. This just feels different. Feels like a coach hell-bent on running the football and establishing identity at all costs.

The Raiders fans love it. The Davante Adams FF fans should be hating it.

Also, never start a guy whose name you can't spell. Demarcus is all lowercase in his name. I had him with an uppercase "M" in the OP.

He's out!

Rashid Shaheed may be the exception as he's not 4th in lines for targets.

Thanks, BassNBrew. I've thought about target share. Your logic is valid, but not necessarily sound in that you're not considering overall targets while emphasizing target share. The Raiders made target share irrelevant in a few of the games Antonio Pierce has coached.

I'd rather have him be fourth in line than have four targets total. If a team is going to throw the ball forty times, better the guy that sees seven targets compared to Davante's five last game.
Adams recently...6, 12, 10, 7, 13, 13.

Chark...8, 2, 4, 4, 0, 3

Love this kind of analysis for best ball league. I'm not "starting" D Robinson, but I sure am trying to get him on my roster tonight as my WR9. And should have tried to snag him last week instead of W Robinson.

Also, never start a guy whose name you can't spell. Demarcus is all lowercase in his name. I had him with an uppercase "M" in the OP.

He's out!
Maybe that's part of the reason I never started Abdul-Gafar Olatokumbo Ayodeji Lamar Karim when I rostered him back in the day.

Waiting in the wings I have Demarcus Robinson (just went off and Giants are 27th against WR position), Rashid Shaheed (Tampa - 29th against WR position), D.J. Chark (just went off and Jacksonville is 24th against WR)

What do you all have?
Stidham starting now. He's proven capable in the past.

What do you all have?
Really? Under 60% completions and 6 TD/7 INT in his career.

The real question is Stidham vs. Mahomes.

WDIS?

This could be a tongue-in-cheek thread, but did anybody watch Mahomes play last week? And have we seen San Diego play?

Hmmmm . . .

It's hard to bench guys like Amari Cooper and Breece Hall after their recent games or even a DJ Moore after the season he has had but Rock is right, the match-ups are gross.

Some of these match-ups are absolute dog poo and some of the players involved are hurt, have extenuating circumstances, or are playing like absolute dog poo (Mahomes).

It's just . . . what do you do? Do you swerve to miss the train wreck or what?

I don't know. I'll be trotting these guys out in less-than-ideal circumstances, but I'll be holding my nose when I do it.

@rockaction

Don't think Bennett and Volek are coming back this year....

Drew Bennett and Billy Volek have to be the unlikeliest super-duo in NFL history.

Drew Bennett was coming off a game where he had 3 touchdowns, on 3 catches, for 124 yards the previous week. In week 14, on Monday Night against Kansas City (so keep in mind that there were people who had him in the lineup that were staring at a loss), he went for 12 catches, 233 yards, and 3 TDs. You haven’t lived until you’ve been eliminated by a Drew Bennett 233 yards, 3 TD game. I’m alive.

Billy Volek had come on for an injured Steve McNair, and in two straight weeks, had 400 yards and 4 TD passes. Do you know how many people have done that in consecutive weeks in NFL history? Two. Dan Marino in his record-setting 1984 season, and Billy Freaking Volek.

Some of these match-ups are absolute dog poo and some of the players involved are hurt, have extenuating circumstances, or are playing like absolute dog poo (Mahomes).

It's just . . . what do you do? Do you swerve to miss the train wreck or what?

I don't know. I'll be trotting these guys out in less-than-ideal circumstances, but I'll be holding my nose when I do it.
In week 17, I always tried to start the guys with solid floors unless I’m a decided underdog. It’s easier in PPR, look for the ones getting a lot of targets. I would expect scoring to be down 10-20% this week, so players like ARSB, B Hall, Mcbriide, Kamara, Kupp stand out more.

What do you all have?
Really? Under 60% completions and 6 TD/7 INT in his career.
One game recently he went off out of nowhere.

Apologies. I'm thinking he's still the backup for LV. Disregard.

Yeah, I'm going with the studs if they can play. I've got no other choices, really. Chase might be out and I'll need somebody to sub for him if need be. I'm just griping about the match-ups is all I'm doing.

Watching Adams today with much trepidation. I have Metcalf, Nico Collins, Ja'Marr Chase, Davante Adams, Ezekiel Elliott, Alvin Kamara, and Dallas Goedert going today.

Really just thinking that Shaheed or Robinson might be a better play than a few of those guys. Shaheed is playing in a pass-funnel game today. Tampa funnels passes to WRs as they stand. I just don't trust NO on the road. Robinson got 93% of the team's snaps last game. Atwell had only 6%. Now, were they easing Atwell back in? That's the rub and I don't wind to find out that was the case championship week.

So many decisions. I'm sticking with the first options in each offense (assuming at risk that Kevin Harris and Jamaal Williams don't eat into Kamara and Elliott's touches).

Users who are viewing this thread